This (DISNEY)land Was Made For You and Me - July 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

Healthy snacking is a challenge for me. I am somewhat of a grazer and am sometimes overcome with the need to chew, I think it's a stress reaction. But I usually end up with something unhealthy/sugary in my hand.
Its probably stress! I know I'm a stress eater. The trick for me with sugary snacks though is to cut them out completely for a few days - a week. Once I've gone a few days without the sugar, I find I really don't crave it anymore. But the second I start eating it again the cravings come back. Its hard to cut them out at first, but I just tell myself I can do anything for a couple days. And then once those couple days are over, its sooo much easier!

Uh hi, this was something I wanted to do. Now that GOT is in a place where a chapter has closed and the conclusion is on the horizon, I want to do this because I feel like I've missed so much watching it only once.

Exactly! I'm excited to see what tracks were laid that I missed early on!

JULY 3rd - Partners and Partnerships
Main-Street-USA-DL-99.jpg

We're going to skip past Main Street and save the souvenir shopping for the end of our tour.

Let's instead focus on an iconic part of Disneyland - the Partners Statue.
We are at the end of Main Street and now at the central Hub of Disneyland.
Partners-Statue-At-Disneyland-Park-1200.jpg

"I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place...
where parents and children can have fun...together." -- Walt Disney

The "Partners" statue was introduced into Disneyland in 1993, in honor of Mickey Mouse's 65th birthday.
Similar statues were installed into other Disney properties afterward - so you'll see something like this at Magic
Kingdom or Tokyo Disney, but with a different quote. Paris doesn't have one (because it is lame! :P )

Question of the Day - Partnerships
The Partnership Statue shows us how Mickey Mouse and Walt would be nothing without the other.
The quote below the statue shows us how we can use our connections for fun, love, and support.

Who would stand next to you in your personal partnership statue today?
Who is your support system in this lifestyle change?
What activities (besides Disney) do you, your parents, and/or your children enjoy doing together?

Bonus: Share any photos you have of you standing with one of the partnership statues at Disney properties!

DH has finally come around to being my partner in all of this. In the beginning he still maintained his bad eating habits and would encourage me to eat what I wanted rather than what I should have. However, the last few months, we have really come to an understanding on what I need from him in terms of being a good support system. Of course, he cleans up his eating and drops 20 lbs -- and I'm still on the struggle bus.... No, I'm not bitter :P LOL!

Bonus: Here we are this past April in DL!

IMG_9492.jpg

What are some healthy snacks you enjoy eating?
Have you changed your eating habits recently because of the lifestyle change you're making?

Bonus: Have you tried the Dole Whip? What did you think?

My snacking habits have REALLY changed a lot! I used to snack on whatever DH liked (I'm not too picky). So there were tons of unhealthy options (cheez-its namely). Now, I always have almonds and freeze dried apples from Trader Joe's (my latest obsession!) on hand so I can have something healthy when I need a pick-me-up.

Bonus: Despite my sugar obsession, I find Dole Whips a little sweet for me. However, the float that mixes that sweetness with the tangy pineapple juice is just my style! YUMMMMM!!!!

Have you tried chewing gum instead of grazing. This helps me a lot or it used too. It would be enough to hold me over until the next meal. My mom passed on to me her addiction to chewing gum and I have passed it on to my kids. I have chewed gum so much for so long that I can't chew it as much anymore. My jaw starts to hurt and then I get headaches.
You know, I don't chew gum and when I think about it I don't think that would satisfy the need, which is really strange.

July 5th - Onwards to Adventureland

Adventureland_Disneyland.jpg

We are heading left as we leave the hub and the Partners Statue.
I hope everyone had a Happy July 4th and enjoyed their view of the Fireworks!

As we enter Adventureland, you'll notice right away that we're walking past the World Famous Tiki Room!
Tiki-Room-Disneyland.jpg

The Enchanted Tiki Room has been a staple at Disneyland since 1963.
In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki tiki room... All the birds sing words and the flowers croon!
The shows between Disneyland and MK are the same - so if you've done one, you've done both.

Question of the Day - July 5th
Disneyland is famous for its Dole Whip snack, which can be purchased outside the Tiki Room.
It's a pineapple-flavored soft serve and great to munch on while enjoying the show on a hot day.

What are some healthy snacks you enjoy eating?
Have you changed your eating habits recently because of the lifestyle change you're making?

Bonus: Have you tried the Dole Whip? What did you think?

One of my favorite places to cool off in DW. Dh and I love to sit and watch the Tiki birds. If the song comes on while we are in the car everyone including my sons sing along.

My healthy snacks are some fruits such as apples, almonds and I found some cheese that is cut into 20 calorie sticks. I will be trying to make sure that I get in some veggies such as celery over the next couple of days.

AH the Dole whip. Dh didn't try it until about 5 years ago and he is now hooked on them. He loves pineapple and has one of these whenever we are in the area. I like the vanilla ice cream with the pineapple better but do love the pineapple dole whip.

I just finished cooking dinner out on the patio and the meat is resting while I write this. I walked this afternoon and then I walked around the patio while the meat was cooking so I have gotten in some exercise today. I almost didn't since I ended up with a migraine this morning. It isn't too bad (I don't get completely wiped out) but it has slowed me down today. We spent an hour with a friend putting up a new tent that she bought. Her husband doesn't want to use it since it looks like a log cabin. The logs and stones are painted on the tent and it does look like something you would use in your backyard for the kids. I thought it was cute but I would not take it to a music festival like she wants to.

Off to serve dinner

Have a happy and healthy day.

Hi everyone --- can you please take a minute to review the "list of participants" on the first page and make sure I have you listed. I want to make sure I have everyone mentioned. If you're missing, please PM me so I can get you added. I think I got everyone - but you never know!

Hope everyone is having a lovely day back to work. Today is... busy. Two days worth of work in one day is kind of exhausting.

Ok, I'll see if I can remember what I'm answering...

Healthy snacks... I had some yogurt today with chia seeds, a little bit of maple syrup (it was plain), some strawberries and a sprinkle of granola. It was so delicious. I haven't had that for a long time. My go-to snacks are peanut butter apples, nuts (I try to serve myself in a 1/4 cup because that's about a serving size), or cheese with a few triscuits.

Lifestyle changes... at the beginning of the year we went through a 14 week challenge from the website 100 days of real food. Because of that we made several changes like switching to whole milk products, trying to buy organic when possible, buying much less processed food, trying to substitute sugar with honey or maple syrup, and things like that. We're far from perfect, but we have definitely made some changes.

Dole whip... nope. I don't like pineapple at all. My youngest loves it, so I need to steer her toward one when we're there in November.

Seriously, how is it in the 6 months I've been posting on this thread we haven't had one other guy participate and try to get healthier?

I guess every guy on Disboards is ripped with a 6 pack except for me (not yet, anyway).
That or you're the only one who isn't scared of hanging out with a bunch of women...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I think it's great we have someone to provide a little bit of the male perspective. Glad we all haven't scared you away like @SarahDisney was saying :)

Had a super long day of 10 hours in the car with 5 kids :scared1: I tried to make good choices with fast food. I think I did much better than I would have a month ago.

To answer the questions today snacks are probably my biggest downfall. I wait too long and then eat junk. I try to keep quick things in the house like apples or nuts. Also, I have changed my eating habits by cutting out all soda and French fries. And I try not eat everything on my plate or pick at the kids leftovers.

As for Dole whips, I have never tried one. DH loves them but they just don't appeal to me.

@courtneybeth I just might take you up on the corral offer, waiting at the start is probably the loneliest time of the race :)

July 6th - Woohoo Wednesday!
giphy.gif

It's time to celebrate... it's woohoo Wednesday!

In keeping with tradition, we will pause our Disneyland Tour on Wednesdays to take time to celebrate YOU.
We've made it to the middle of the week and now we brag about the good things that have happened!
No accomplishment is too big or too small and can be about anything you like.

July 6th - Question of the Day
What are you celebrating today?
What amazing thing has happened over the last week?

Bonus question: If your awesome Disneyland Plaid gave you $50 Disney Dollars for treats,
what would you purchase? No calories count!

Good morning friends!! Sorry I didn't get on the computer AT ALL overt the July 4th holiday weekend! I had the best of intentions, but sunshine and salt water and family time happened!

I overslept this morning and missed my 24/7 shift (whoops!!) and now I've gotta get dashing to work! I'll pop on after my day job to catch up with you all tonight (unless I end up subbing a WW meeting, which may be happening). Missed chatting with you all and I cannot wait to see our Disneyland-themed QOTD and fun photos!! ....................P

Wohoo Wednesday:

I am back on track!!! Two days of tracking all my food AND staying within my limits! And the scale moved down 0.1 kg again this morning. I am so relieved! And I need to remember that I should not listen to my scale when it is hot outside. I do have bigger weight swings in summer when it is hot than in winter. Still up from my lowest number, but I feel confident that I will get down there and then below it soonish!

My doctor was very happy with my foot and I am getting inserts now for running! Once they are done, I am will need to buy new shoes...

I ordered a new vegetarian cookbook (Moosewood Restaurants Cooks at Home - I have a different one from the same restaurant that I have made a lot of recipes from, but my sister has this one and I looked at it while I was visiting her and it all looked so delicious!!).

And finally: My boyfriend Michael arrives tomorrow! So excited to see him again!!

----

Just back from a delicious lunch: a vegetarian Thai noodle bowl with lots of veggies, pineapple and tofu with a very light coconut broth. It was wonderful and very filling! It feels like today is a great Wednesday with lots of woohoos for me and it is definitely giving me a boost in energy to get things done! Tomorrow will be a stressful day as I have to go on a business trip during the day and then need to be back in time to pick Michael up at the airport.

July 6th - Woohoo Wednesday!
giphy.gif

It's time to celebrate... it's woohoo Wednesday!

In keeping with tradition, we will pause our Disneyland Tour on Wednesdays to take time to celebrate YOU.
We've made it to the middle of the week and now we brag about the good things that have happened!
No accomplishment is too big or too small and can be about anything you like.

July 6th - Question of the Day
What are you celebrating today?
What amazing thing has happened over the last week?

Bonus question: If your awesome Disneyland Plaid gave you $50 Disney Dollars for treats,
what would you purchase? No calories count!

I think I have 2 woohoo's today. 1. I have gotten 10,000 steps everyday since the first. It is not always easy but I have managed to do it. 2. This is more of a woohoo for my daughter but it is worth mentioning. While doing her vision therapy last night I noticed that her left eye is getting better. Not perfect yet but better. Yay!!! Therapy is working. Now if we can just get her stubborn right eye to cooperate we would be doing really good. This eye is her worst.

Bonus question -- I think I would buy a cupcake. I always hear how good they are and really want to try one. If we can find a good icey place I would get one of those too. There is only 1 place we know about in HS that has them. The normal cherry, blue rasberry or coke kind. The lemonade ones are just too sour for me.

Women are weird too, just in a different way :)

we are all weird! It will be boring if we are all the same

as they say - "everything has cracks. That's how the light gets in!" Our cracks make us shine with individuality

but yes, am sorry to agree but men are weird. DH is trying hard. He went trough hell medically last year, he lost weight before and sadly some if it came back. I let him deal with it. You can only paddle your own canoe. I do preach a little and remind him he should look after his health but I love him and support him and I won't make his life hell trying to convince him to follow my lead.

The only reason he lost weight is someone that we know told him he should, after loosing weight himself and he got annoyed! I wish he would do it if I told him instead of waiting for someone else to tell him as it is but... men are weird

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter