This (DISNEY)land Was Made For You and Me - July 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

Saturday - day 1 I barely moved from the bed as I felt little sick and my sinuses were sore for weeks. I ate much less then normally but I burned below my maintenance level too so according to FitBit - MFP deficit about 200. I couldn't have done better as I ate little and I took it easy as that's what I needed
Sunday - 2 meals out. I tried to make ok choices and estimating calries to keep track but honestly 2 meals out when there was no special occasion is a lot and my choices were not the best. I burned 2360 according to fitbit, MFP calories 1836 but as it's likely my estimations are bit off, and Fitbit overestimates the balance is probably 0

That's not bad at all! If I was planning to maintain I can easy live like that. But as I am not fully there yet, I need to up my efforts little
Yesterday I did walk on my lunch, little walk to work, walked good bit during the day, went for bodypump & water aerobics & swim & sauna at night and my food choices were super! Calories burned (fitbit 2885) Calories intake 1472. No estimation as all home made & measured! tons of vegies, salon, chicken, greek yoghurt so protein intake high = no hunger, fruit. Now I need 6 more days like that, although I will not get to visit the fancy gym for few days! I can still visit the gym in work

That's how my month is going so far. I think my real attempt to trim down restarted yesterday

Have a healthy day all

What are some healthy snacks you enjoy eating?
Have you changed your eating habits recently because of the lifestyle change you're making?

Bonus: Have you tried the Dole Whip? What did you think?

I tried Dole Whip float and hated it. :(. Not for me.

Healthy snack: currently loving watermelon or Greek yoghurt with berries. I also like hummus with cucumber dips or rice cakes, melon & chilli & lime smoothie, green smoothie (spinach, banana, greek yo, pineapple or avocado optional), baby tomatoes with little bit of feta, veggies with salsa.

Well, I'm on this journey on my on, just like so many things in my life. It isn't something I really talk about to brothers and sister and even at work there's been very little notice of the weight loss so far and it isn't something I bring up. That all makes me so appreciative of this group, where we are all making our way on the same journey.

This group really gave me the motivation to lose the weight and is actually keeping me motivated to keep the weight off. It just doesn't stop when you reach goal - because then there's maintenance and you just never really stop doing the other things you've learned. You're overcoming a food addiction and creating good, new habits. This group has been a lifesaver because I can really think about how I'm doing things.

My husband is definitely my biggest source of strength and support in everything that I do. We've been together for 14 years and married for seven. That support extends to my desire to be fitter and so I'm very lucky.

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

This gave me the fuzzies.

My dh has always been a great support for me. He has always encouraged me in just about anything I have wanted to do.

My dh I think is going to be a support in this lifestyle change because our doctor just told him that he needs to change his lifestyle or there will be problems down the line.

I hope you support him as much as he's supported you!

My husband is definitely my biggest supporter in normal life, but in my weight loss journey, I'm kind of on my own at the moment. I hope that he will join me, but I'm not going to push.

Men are weird. My husband just... well, he is a great supporter but doesn't take care of himself like he should. He's been at 202 pounds for about 2 months and can't shake those 2 pounds to get to Onederland.

My support system has been great. Most of my family and all of my friends have been on board. My wife has been the most supportive, especially early on. She's allowed me to get all the tools I needed to be successful and has encouraged me throughout. She has also lost during this which makes it even better, even though she really didn't have much to lose.

I am so glad that you have such an excellent support system. And we're all here to cheerlead your running endeavors too :D

My husband has been my biggest supporter ever since high school. I don't know where my life would be without him!! He is very encouraging and understanding with my weight loss journey. Sometimes I think I rely on him too much and that is why I have started to sign up for races on my own. I need to prove to myself I am strong enough to stand alone when I need to.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I got the fuzzies from reading this as well. I totally feel you - it's okay to run alone. Heck, if we're doing the same races I'll wait with you in the corral if we're the same letter and then let you rush off past me since I'm slow :P

I really should say my husband and kids would stand next to me but I think I have to say my mom. She has aways been there for me. She was a very young mom and did everything for us. I still call her everyday on my way home.

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

Your mom sounds wonderful! Give her a hug for me because this made me so happy to read :D :D :D

Definitely my husband is my personal partner - we just celebrated our 16th anniversary and are as happy as we have ever been. Side by side we work our way through life. Sounds corny, but absolutely true for us.

Hey - it may be corny but it's true! That's how we are as well. Partners in everything really.

I tried Dole Whip float and hated it. :(. Not for me.

Healthy snack: currently loving watermelon or Greek yoghurt with berries. I also like hummus with cucumber dips or rice cakes, melon & chilli & lime smoothie, green smoothie (spinach, banana, greek yo, pineapple or avocado optional), baby tomatoes with little bit of feta, veggies with salsa.

Yeah I'm also a "yuck" to the dole whip. Wasn't a fan.

I've recently gotten into the fruit and I am loving it so much, Your list sounds a lot like mine!

I have been meaning to answer all the QsOTDs, but somehow never got around... So jumping in with today and maybe will find the time to catch up!

I loved all the pictures that were posted with the Partners Statute as it is alwasy great to see what people look like. Being able to put a face to a name makes such a difference! (Not meant to pressure anyone into sharing a picture if they don't feel comfortable doing so, I totally get that, too!!)

My last few days have been crazy. I am already over 100% towards my goal for the month. After moaning and whining about my horrible gain, I got up on Saturday and was down 1.3 kg. Then on Sunday another 0.5kg and on Monday 0.1 kg. So, I already "lost" 1.9 kg (4.2 pounds) since July 1st. Crazy!! I could not have believed that there was that much water weight in me. As it really can only be mainly water. On Saturday I was at friends' to watch the game (Euro soccer championship quarter final Germany against Italy) and we first had a barbecue (I tried to stick to the grilled veggies and the lean meat, but I certainly ate too much) and then the game was totally nervewrecking. Germany finally managed to get into the lead with 1:0 in the 60th minute and then 15 minutes later a usually fantastic defense player managed to have his hand up in the air and ended up touching the ball with his hand!! And that gave Italy a penalty and they scored to the 1:1. The game then went into extra time and even after 120 minutes played it was still 1:1, so we got into a penalty shoot out. Usually Germany does very well in those (they are kind of famous for it), but this time it all went horribly wrong at first. But luckily the Italians did not do very well. So, they were shooting one penalty after the other and with every ball the game could go this way or the other. And yes, far too many snacks were consumed to manage my level of nervousness!!! In the end the result was as history indicated: Germany won. So, Saturday was not a diet day. But it was not really really bad. I stayed away from the alcohol and some of the snacks were fruit.

I am wondering if I should adjust my goal, but I think I will keep it. The 100% weight is the highest weight that gives me a BMI under 25. And to me this has to be the main goal to stay not overweight. If I can lose more this month then I will be happy, otherwise I take it as a success!

And @courtneybeth your offer of sending everyone a price for getting their goal is lovely, but if I am at 100% I really do not expect you to mail anything to Germany! :goodvibes

QOTD:
Summer is a great time for healthy snacks! I love berries and watermelon and peaches. I also have found out that real parmesan cheese is a fantastic snack. It is actually a fairly low fat cheese (as not specifically low fat cheeses go) and I always have a large piece in my fridge. A 20g piece is a nice size and is perfect for salt cravings. I try to nibble it as slowly as possible and because of its intensive taste, I find it really makes me feel like I had something substantial.

Bonus QOTD:
Yes, I had Dole Whips and I like them. But I am not totally in love with them. I love all fruity icy desserts, so it fits right in there. But I find that it has a rather mild pineapple taste. Therefore I prefer getting a pineapple spear at Disneyland.

July 5th - Onwards to Adventureland

Adventureland_Disneyland.jpg

We are heading left as we leave the hub and the Partners Statue.
I hope everyone had a Happy July 4th and enjoyed their view of the Fireworks!

As we enter Adventureland, you'll notice right away that we're walking past the World Famous Tiki Room!
Tiki-Room-Disneyland.jpg

The Enchanted Tiki Room has been a staple at Disneyland since 1963.
In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki tiki room... All the birds sing words and the flowers croon!
The shows between Disneyland and MK are the same - so if you've done one, you've done both.

Question of the Day - July 5th
Disneyland is famous for its Dole Whip snack, which can be purchased outside the Tiki Room.
It's a pineapple-flavored soft serve and great to munch on while enjoying the show on a hot day.

Have you changed your eating habits recently because of the lifestyle change you're making?

I have two go to snacks that have really helped me when I need my fix:

If I want something salty like potato chips I grab some popped rice snacks - made by Quaker. My favorite flavor is the sweet chili, but all of them are good. A serving size is 18 chips for 130 calories, but I never have that many. I usually go 9 chips at 65 calories or sometimes just 4.5 chips at 32 calories. It gives you the flavor of a flavored potato chip and the crunch. I highly recommend them.

If I'm looking for something sweet, I usually have a jello sugar free pudding cup. They go 60 calories per cup and have a lot of different flavor choices. Normally this is an after dinner snack when I was used to having something sweet.

I have never tried a dole whip. I totally meant to get one last year, but it slipped my mind and I didn't think about it until we were on our flight home. I'm not a huge fan of pineapple, but I have to try one just because I've heard so much about it. Oh well, I'll try again in March.

Last edited:

As we enter Adventureland, you'll notice right away that we're walking past the World Famous Tiki Room!
Tiki-Room-Disneyland.jpg

In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki tiki room... All the birds sing words and the flowers croon!
The shows between Disneyland and MK are the same - so if you've done one, you've done both.

Disneyland is famous for its Dole Whip snack, which can be purchased outside the Tiki Room.
It's a pineapple-flavored soft serve and great to munch on while enjoying the show on a hot day.

I am not much of a snacker. Lately if I do I try to eat some fruit or veggies. I also like nut thins. I buy the packs already separated into serving sizes. 1 pack is only 90 calories. I leave these at work just in case I need something to tie me over to lunch or dinner.

We have been to WDW 4 times and we have never been to the Tiki Room. It is just not as appealing as other rides and with such limited time at MK the other rides always win. We have also never had a Dole Whip. My husband just found out about them on this trip but he didn't buy one. Me on the other hand have known about them for a very long time and just never said anything. I really hate pineapple. I won't even eat a fruit salad if there is pineapple in it.

n, I got up on Saturday and was down 1.3 kg. Then on Sunday another 0.5kg and on Monday 0.1 kg. So, I already "lost" 1.9 kg (4.2 pounds) since July 1st. Crazy!! I .
I said it before, weight loss is like that! It doesn't show evenly. You keep doing the right thing, the results will show but in their own time!

I love when you finally see the result that reflects weeks of work at once! Well done!

I am not sure if we are supposed to give our goal results yet or not but I will just in case.

4/31 on getting 10,000 (has not been easy so far.
1/9 workouts (I am counting the dancing at the wedding as a workout. I am still sore)

I am at 12.5%. Do far I am doing good. We do not have anything going on tonight and Thursday this week. Thankfully. I need a break from running everywhere. I will get to go to the rec both days. I should have no problem getting my steps or work out in this week.

I have gained about a pound or 2 over the weekend. Too many parties. I had some cake and a slice of chocolate pie. I also has some cookies. I did eat strawberry shortcake too. Today we are getting back on track. We are having chicken salad for dinner. This will give use the left overs for lunch and side salads with dinner.

I am not sure if we are supposed to give our goal results yet or not but I will just in case.

Sorry, I think I confused you!! I think results are only due next weekend. I just wanted to report my crazy weight loss. :goodvibes

But it sounds like you are quite on track! Hopefully the party damage will disappear quickly, your activity levels seem to be great already!

I'm not a huge snacker, but I do bring something each day with me as a morning snack at work. I have to be at work at 7:00 and usually don't take lunch until around 12:30, so I usually bring some pretzels along to tide me over until lunch. I count them out and have one service each day. Before my new healthier eating habits, I always had cheeze-its at work for a snack. I would just bring the whole box of them in. Sad thing was, I'd eat the whole box in a week - purely mindless eating. I honestly don't know that I'll ever be able to just "eat from the bag" without overdoing it. One of my co-workers brings in a small box of ritz bitz crackers each Monday and eats a small portion every day. I still can't do that...maybe one of these days.

I also enjoy cheese string - I'll have to try the real parmesan as @Flossbolna suggested. That sounds like something I'd love! I should also try the popped rice snacks, I used to eat rice cakes and I've seen the snacks, but just never bought them. They would be a good alternative for my pretzels sometimes.

As far as the Dole Whip - I had never tried one until we were in Hawaii this summer. My kids and I got one to share at the Dole Plantation. It had real crushed pineapple around the edges and I was awesome! We were staying at Aulani for part of the trip and I know they sell it there, but we didn't get it again. I'm not sure if their Dole Whip included the real pineapple or not.

I love berries (with out without whipped cream)
I also like snacks involving peanut butter - celery & PB, apple & PB, PB on whole-wheat crackers
I really like nuts (walnuts and cashews are my favorite), but it's hard for me to stick to an appropriate serving ... and too much nuts = too many calories.
Can I count chocolate as a healthy snack? It's emotionally healthy ...

Not really in a huge way recently, but I keep trying to make smaller changes. Things like constantly trying to find new healthy meals and snacks to "replace" some of my least favorite unhealthy meals (for example, this week I'm planning to make a grilled veggie wrap - until about a year ago, it would have been a grilled cheese wrap, maybe with a little veggie thrown in).

I don't do pineapple. Unless it's mixed with coconut and rum. (I do like pina coladas ... not wild about getting caught in the rain) (someone please tell me that you understood that reference...)

---

Hey guys! I hope everyone had a great weekend!
I went to a minor league baseball game on Sunday, which was really nice. The home team won (in the bottom of the 9th ... so stressful), and then there were fireworks. I managed to avoid the ballpark snacks and ended up just having a Clif Bar for dinner because I wasn't really hungry (I had a big lunch).
Yesterday was not so great ... I woke up feeling groggy, and had a headache most of the day. I managed to avoid overeating (sometimes eating is the only thing that helps my headaches), but I ended up snacking a lot when I was doing something in the kitchen right before bed. So the day was kind of a wash.
Today's been okay so far. I've been struggling to remember to track my breakfast before bed, and this morning I actually ate the wrong breakfast (I was planning to have a waffle, but I had cereal instead) ... which is more funny than problematic, but it kinda just threw me off a bit. Hopefully the day will get better from here...

Tiki-Room-Disneyland.jpg

Healthy snacking is a challenge for me. I am somewhat of a grazer and am sometimes overcome with the need to chew, I think it's a stress reaction. But I usually end up with something unhealthy/sugary in my hand.

I love the new/old Tiki Room at MK, and the past few trips have ended up there multiple times. It's one of my sit down/cool off attractions and I end up being mesmerized every time. I love thinking about Walt seeing the mechanical bird in the Mexican bazzar, which started the whole automatronics thing. I also love Dole Whips... But then again I love pineapple. I particularly love Dole Whips with Rum, even with being a light drinker.

Mixed results over the holiday weekend. Fri/Sat/Sun were good walking and eating days but yesterday was neither. First day since mid-May that I haven't gotten my 10,000 in, so I'll have to do around 12,000 per day the rest of the week to make up for it. Not sure what happened, only had around 3,000 at 5ish and decided I really didn't care. Then later I decided I did want to go out and walk in my new hiking boots but the fireworks craziness had already started. Seriously, they are illegal in the city but it was a war zone from 7pm to around 2am.

Now it's back to work and back to good habits!

Last edited:
Hi everyone -- lots of wonderful responses to read this morning when I woke up. Keep 'em coming in and keep on chatting with each other.

Our first results post will go up July 11th (next Monday). Since this past weekend was a big holiday, it didn't seem fair for everyone to weigh-in after chowin' down.

I'm in the midst of trying to sign up for the Passholder runDisney Princess race right now... I'll respond to everyone after I sign up (or get shut out!).

And @courtneybeth your offer of sending everyone a price for getting their goal is lovely, but if I am at 100% I really do not expect you to mail anything to Germany! :goodvibes

Bonus QOTD:
Yes, I had Dole Whips and I like them. But I am not totally in love with them. I love all fruity icy desserts, so it fits right in there. But I find that it has a rather mild pineapple taste. Therefore I prefer getting a pineapple spear at Disneyland.

I wonder how much the cost would be.... now I'm curious! :P

The Dole Whip must be an acquired taste because I know the DL locals love it but the tourists are confused by it.

I have never tried a dole whip. I totally meant to get one last year, but it slipped my mind and I didn't think about it until we were on our flight home. I'm not a huge fan of pineapple, but I have to try one just because I've heard so much about it. Oh well, I'll try again in March.

I think Animal Kingdom serves the Dole Whip with a little rum in the bottom - so if you want a real treat, try that when you go. It may also be at EPCOT for Flower and Garden too! :)

We have been to WDW 4 times and we have never been to the Tiki Room. It is just not as appealing as other rides and with such limited time at MK the other rides always win. We have also never had a Dole Whip. My husband just found out about them on this trip but he didn't buy one. Me on the other hand have known about them for a very long time and just never said anything. I really hate pineapple. I won't even eat a fruit salad if there is pineapple in it.

Have you had the Orange treat at MK? I can't remember what it's called but it's the equivalent of the Dole Whip at DL. I wonder if it's any good?

I love berries (with out without whipped cream)
I also like snacks involving peanut butter - celery & PB, apple & PB, PB on whole-wheat crackers
I really like nuts (walnuts and cashews are my favorite), but it's hard for me to stick to an appropriate serving ... and too much nuts = too many calories.
Can I count chocolate as a healthy snack? It's emotionally healthy ...

Emotional health is just as important as physical and mental health, so yes... I think it counts ;)

I've really gotten into a berry craze recently. I can fill up with minimal calories. YAY.

Sorry, I think I confused you!! I think results are only due next weekend. I just wanted to report my crazy weight loss. :goodvibes

But it sounds like you are quite on track! Hopefully the party damage will disappear quickly, your activity levels seem to be great already!

You didn't confuse me. I was unsure before I read your post.

The eating habits have done a complete 180 in the last 12 months for sure! 4th of July was a great example. Instead of snacking on chips and salsa and eating burgers/hot dogs, I ended up eating about a dozen baby carrots, six strawberries, an ear of corn, and a hamburger patty with a little blue cheese in the middle - sans bun!

I was stuffed. No pie. No dessert.

As for the Dole Whip -- can't be anywhere near it. The smell is actually a trigger for me and I just get physically ill o_O

Apples, blueberries, hummus, cucumbers, almonds, yogurt...really theres lots of them!

I changed my eating habits a couple years ago when I started running. My recent 10lb gain is a result of not sticking to these changes. Its been a wake-up call. Its time to get back to those better eating habits!

We're AP holders and go to the parks 3-4 times a year. I've only had a dole float once, never a dole whip though. I thought it was ok. I dont really get the appeal. I'll take a ice cream in a waffle cone over a dole whip any day.

This weekend I did pretty good staying on track. I got my 10k run in on saturday. Made good food choices all weekend, though I did have an ice crea sundae at my nieces bday party yesterday. Stuck to just one beer yesterday which is pretty good for me on a holiday! My only real fail was that I did not get my run in yesterday but that was just due to time issues. The kids were in a bike parade in the morning and then we were at a party starting at 1:00. Got home at 11:00. So no real time. We leave for a family reunion on Thursday morning. I want to get a run in either today or tomorrow. Its going to be challenging though with still needing to pack myself and the kids, get my hair cut and working with my son on kinder prep work.

Tiki-Room-Disneyland.jpg

I have absolutely changed my eating habits. My go to snacks from "before" are not even on my radar anymore. I used to eat lots of crackers, chips and cookies.

Now, I snack mainly on fruit, vegetables and yogurt/cheese. I usually snack on my veggies raw - the crunch kind of mimics the crunch of chips and crackers, I think. If I am feeling crazy, I'll add some dip, but not always.

I've never tried a Dole Whip. I'm not sure why. Probably because we generally hit adventureland right after a meal, so not prime snacking time.

Healthy snacking is a challenge for me. I am somewhat of a grazer and am sometimes overcome with the need to chew, I think it's a stress reaction. But I usually end up with something unhealthy/sugary in my hand.

I love the new/old Tiki Room at MK, and the past few trips have ended up there multiple times. It's one of my sit down/cool off attractions and I end up being mesmerized every time. I love thinking about Walt seeing the mechanical bird in the Mexican bazzar, which started the whole automatronics thing. I also love Dole Whips... But then again I love pineapple. I particularly love Dole Whips with Rum, even with being a light drinker.

Mixed results over the holiday weekend. Fri/Sat/Sun were good walking and eating days but yesterday was neither. First day since mid-May that I haven't gotten my 10,000 in, so I'll have to do around 12,000 per day the rest of the week to make up for it. Not sure what happened, only had around 3,000 at 5ish and decided I really didn't care. Then later I decided I did want to go out and walk in my new hiking boots but the fireworks craziness had already started. Seriously, they are illegal in the city but it was a war zone from 7pm to around 2am.

Now it's back to work and back to good habits!

Have you tried chewing gum instead of grazing. This helps me a lot or it used too. It would be enough to hold me over until the next meal. My mom passed on to me her addiction to chewing gum and I have passed it on to my kids. I have chewed gum so much for so long that I can't chew it as much anymore. My jaw starts to hurt and then I get headaches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter