This (DISNEY)land Was Made For You and Me - July 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

JULY 3rd - Partners and Partnerships
Main-Street-USA-DL-99.jpg

We're going to skip past Main Street and save the souvenir shopping for the end of our tour.

Let's instead focus on an iconic part of Disneyland - the Partners Statue.
We are at the end of Main Street and now at the central Hub of Disneyland.
Partners-Statue-At-Disneyland-Park-1200.jpg

"I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place...
where parents and children can have fun...together." -- Walt Disney

The "Partners" statue was introduced into Disneyland in 1993, in honor of Mickey Mouse's 65th birthday.
Similar statues were installed into other Disney properties afterward - so you'll see something like this at Magic
Kingdom or Tokyo Disney, but with a different quote. Paris doesn't have one (because it is lame! :P )

Question of the Day - Partnerships
The Partnership Statue shows us how Mickey Mouse and Walt would be nothing without the other.
The quote below the statue shows us how we can use our connections for fun, love, and support.

Who would stand next to you in your personal partnership statue today?
Who is your support system in this lifestyle change?
What activities (besides Disney) do you, your parents, and/or your children enjoy doing together?

Bonus: Share any photos you have of you standing with one of the partnership statues at Disney properties!

My mum is a big supporter of me - when I lived closer and was studying and in my first couple of years of working full time and juggling the kids - she would sneak over to the house in the day when I was out and do the laundry and tidy up to help me out. Her and my Dad always help by watching the kids and getting them to/from school when they were younger and I was working further from home. I would also have to have my kids in the statue though as you said Courtney Walt or Mickey wouldn't be the same without the other and I just wouldn't be the me I am without my kids.

All the lovely people on here are a bit part of my support system and a couple of friends who I exercise with each week.

What activities (besides Disney) do you, your parents, and/or your children enjoy doing together?

Mum, the kids and I wander the shops together usually once a week, in the summer the kids and I like to hit the beach or the river to play in the water, walks on the beach that include a game of soccer, backyard soccer or cricket, the younger 2 like to ride bikes (I need a new one). A more sedentary thing we all like to do is go to the movies.

Bonus: Share any photos you have of you standing with one of the partnership statues at Disney properties!

I have 2 one each in DL and DCA

partners.png Partners 1.png

Hi everyone, I'm late (I could claim that it's because I've never been to Disneyland before and got lost but actually it's because we've just got back from a week's vacation) but hoping to catch up shortly. I'm also hoping to be much better at checking in and answering the QOOTD than I was in June!

My name's Iona (Instagram: i0nar), I'm 33 and I live a little way outside London in the UK with my husband.

My goal this month is the same as last month's (which I didn't hit) - to exercise 20 times. I'm currently doing a couch to 5k programme so that should be 13 of the 20, plus four lots of Pilates plus three other sessions somewhere along the way. I'm good at going to the gym on my way to the office but if that doesn't happen then I struggle and as work often takes me away getting to 20 seems quite ambitious...

Ugh. I don't have a support system. I think my sister tries, but she also continually offers me junk food without thinking about it and questions my meal choices, so ... not as supportive as she thinks she is.
I really don't have a support system for anything in my life, which is hard. But it is what it is.

My sister and I do a lot together ... Disney, shopping, movies and watching TV sometimes.
I do a lot of tourist stuff with my parents ... mostly museums and stuff, and we also go to baseball games a lot. In fact ... we're planning to go to a game later today.

Disneyland 2012:
100_2840.JPG

Can you believe that I don't have a picture with the Partners statue at MK? Weird...

---

Hey guys! Not much time to chat today. So far it's been an okay day. I got a decent run in this morning, and had a good breakfast, but we're having pizza for dinner and I'll probably have a hot dog for dinner (going to a baseball game), so the day will probably be a wash.
Anyone else have fun weekend plans?

We're going to skip past Main Street and save the souvenir shopping for the end of our tour.

The "Partners" statue was introduced into Disneyland in 1993, in honor of Mickey Mouse's 65th birthday.
Similar statues were installed into other Disney properties afterward - so you'll see something like this at Magic
Kingdom or Tokyo Disney, but with a different quote. Paris doesn't have one (because it is lame! :P )

The Partnership Statue shows us how Mickey Mouse and Walt would be nothing without the other.
The quote below the statue shows us how we can use our connections for fun, love, and support.

Well, I'm on this journey on my on, just like so many things in my life. It isn't something I really talk about to brothers and sister and even at work there's been very little notice of the weight loss so far and it isn't something I bring up. That all makes me so appreciative of this group, where we are all making our way on the same journey.

I have pictures of the partner statue and really cute one of Roy and Minnie but I'm not in them because I took them :).

Headed to the baseball game in a bit. And wouldn't you know it, of the entire holiday weekend today is the day "most likely to have showers", and it is overcast out there. Guess it's better than a sunburn? Yesterday was a good day, and an expensive day with a lot of running around and spending money. The highlight was no nap! I did laydown but didn't fall asleep Woohoo! I had blood drawn Friday for a complete work up and I'm really curious to see what comes back, although I do feel I'm on the right track.

Last edited:

My husband is definitely my biggest source of strength and support in everything that I do. We've been together for 14 years and married for seven. That support extends to my desire to be fitter and so I'm very lucky.

The only other person who knows about the journey I'm on is one of my friends. He's got a degree in sports science and also used to play pro sports so he's great for advice but I'm trying not to bug him too much!

My parents live nearby but I don't see that much of them, maybe once or twice a month - normally for lunch or technical support (they're not great with anything electronic!).

We have hundreds of photos of the Magic Kingdom from our nine trips but I don't recall any of the partners statue - I'll have to fix that next trip!

Good afternoon. I am checking in after taking the dog for a walk this afternoon. I did something to my knee yesterday and it is a little achy.

The shower yesterday was lovely. My sister had to feel proud. It was a tea and it said on the invitation that hats were optional. Most of my side of the party had a hat. I have to say that a lot of it was because of me. I helped my sister and my mother to decorate their hats and then I provided hats to my future daughters in law, a niece and a friend of my sister besides the one I was wearing.

courtneybeth said:

My dh has always been a great support for me. He has always encouraged me in just about anything I have wanted to do.

My dh I think is going to be a support in this lifestyle change because our doctor just told him that he needs to change his lifestyle or there will be problems down the line.

We enjoy going to parks and walking the dog. We are also looking forward to planning our 2018 trip to Disneyland.

Here I am with my husband and our friends from our trip in Oct. I am the one on the right. I don't look too bad considering I was out with somesort of stomach thing for the 24 hours before this picture was taken.

new picture (640x448).jpg

I'm happy to report that I have done over 10,000 steps and kept my food/fitness journal 7/1 and 7/2. Today has been a little crazy. I had to drive 3 hours round trip to pick my dog up from a dog show (he did not growl at the judge, so yay). We were gone most of the day and right now I only have 2500 steps. Hopefully my husband will walk with me later, but if not, I'll get on the treadmill and try to get at least 8000 for the day.

My husband is definitely my biggest supporter in normal life, but in my weight loss journey, I'm kind of on my own at the moment. I hope that he will join me, but I'm not going to push. Things are really stressful at his job right now. He has talked about joining the gym again to start swimming, so maybe he will. I have been making a point to make sure he has a healthy breakfast every day and to cook a healthy dinner most nights. He is often willing to walk with me at night after work which is nice.

My family enjoys dogs. We do a lot of dog related classes (obedience, agility, conformation). We love to be outside when we can, especially exploring the nearby nature preserves, but it's going to be a few more months before it's cool enough for that. :) We also enjoy traveling.

My support system has been great. Most of my family and all of my friends have been on board. My wife has been the most supportive, especially early on. She's allowed me to get all the tools I needed to be successful and has encouraged me throughout. She has also lost during this which makes it even better, even though she really didn't have much to lose.

I don't have any pics of me in front of the statue, but we do have pics of my kids from two years ago and last year.

image.jpeg

My husband has been my biggest supporter ever since high school. I don't know where my life would be without him!! He is very encouraging and understanding with my weight loss journey. Sometimes I think I rely on him too much and that is why I have started to sign up for races on my own. I need to prove to myself I am strong enough to stand alone when I need to.

Activities DH and I like to do together are running, shopping, and traveling. Activities we enjoy with the kids are going to the beach, fishing, watching movies (it is really hard to not put WDW since we are there atleast once a month).

It's hard to believe I don't have a picture in front of the Partner's Statue!! So instead I will post a pic with my partner (keeping with the DL theme we are at Trader Sam's)
image.jpeg

July 4th - Fireworks, Fireworks, Fireworks.

Were going to take a break from our tour and watch the Disneyland Forever fireworks show.
This is from the 60th anniversary celebration - and will be retired September 5, 2016.

Have a happy and safe July 4th celebration everyone.
:cheer2:We'll resume our tour on Tuesday July 5th. :cheer2:

Happy 4th everyone! Stay safe today!

We got home from our weekend visit to northern Ohio and we had a great time. We hit Cedar Point, The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and The Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The plan was to try and eat healthy, but still enjoy myself. I also brought my running gear because I planned to run at the hotel Saturday morning. The plan didn't... well, go to plan.

Eating was a little tougher than I thought. I still made the best choices I felt I could, but at a few of the restaurants there just wasn't many options (and I hate not knowing the nutritional info at a restaurant). Satuday we ended up hitting a local spot for lunch and the best thing on the menu was a turkey burger. Dinner was at House of Blues where I had shrimp and grits - but it turned out the grits were fried (and delicious). After everything, I estimate I had over 2000 calories for the first time in months. I tried!!!

The other bad thing was I didn't run. I just wasn't feeling it - I was on vacation and just wanted to relax. Probably the first time I broke my plan to run. Not happy about it, but I don't regret it either.

After all is said and done, I left at 229 lbs and this morning I weighed in at 230.5 lbs. Not horrible, but not great either. It was good practice at what life might be like during the maintaining phtase which will be here soon. It's tough when your eating out all the time and not in total control of the food your eating and how it's prepared.

It's a wet morning here so I'll have to get back to running in a bit on the treadmill. Looking forward to trying and losing this 10.5 lbs before the beach at the end of the month. I'm going to need some extra motivation to get this done!

Last edited:
JULY 2nd- Heading Down Main Street USA
DSC_0263.JPG

We are heading through the LEFT SIDE entrance into the front part of Main Street.

We're going to pass City Hall, and make a quick stop at the Firehouse.

disney_0808_fire_house.jpg

Welcome to the next stop on the tour.... The Disneyland Fire Dept.

The Disneyland Fire Dept. is very famous because while it looks like an old fire station on the bottom
it's actually Walt Disney's private in-park residence. Yep. Walt had this special building constructed
so that he could just rest and watch activity from the window.

Walt's apartment boasts one cool feature - a lamp that is lit to remind the Cast Members he's watching them.
Since his passing, the lamp has remained on - so next time you're in the park, look up and see his presence.

Question of the Day - July 2nd
Walt's lamp is a reminder to cast members that he's watching - and they are on stage.
What are the reminders you have to stay on track with your personal goals?
Do you log food? Do you set a timer to stretch your legs? Something else?

Bonus question: Have you ever been inside Walt's apartment during the Disneyland tour?
(they don't offer this anymore since it's not ADA Compliant :( )

My fitbit and mfp help to keep me in track.

I have never been to walt's apartment. Something I have always wanted to see.

I really should say my husband and kids would stand next to me but I think I have to say my mom. She has aways been there for me. She was a very young mom and did everything for us. I still call her everyday on my way home.

My husband is a great support. He pushes me to meet my goals and tells me how good I am doing. My daughter has no filter at times and is brutally honest. She is only 8 and has some learning to do in this area but it does help me to push forward and lose weight. My son is tge complete opposite. He always make me feel good. He tells me all the time how nice it look. My family is my biggest supporters.

I love the zoo so we go to the zoo in our area as often as we can. I sometimes leave my husband home. He hates the zoo. If he stays home my mom goes with the kids and I. We also like going for walks around the metroparks.

Happy 4th everyone. I can't believe it is 240 this year. I do remember the 200th (yes I am that old) We were especially involved since my twin sister's first job out of secretarial school was to work on the program Bicentennial Minutes.

I have walked today and off to get some things to take to a friend's pool club. I don't know how much swimming we will do since it not supposed to hit 80n here today.

Have a happy and healthy

The last two days have been really busy. Both days I thought I would not get my steps in. Saturday we had a wedding to go to that was about an hour away. By the time dinner was over I was only at 5,000 steps. After sitting g for so long at the reception my husband and walked out sind and walked around the building a few times. I just really needed to move. We were finally able to dance and did all the line dances in a row. I did these for almost an hour. I got within about 500 of my goal. So I decided to walk the perimeter of the hall to get the last steps in before our hour drive home. I got them.

Yesterday I had a really bad headache and didn't get a walk in before we went to blossom (an out door concert hall) to see the Cleveland orchestra and fireworks. By the time we got there I only had like 2,000 steps and it was like 6pm. We went with friends of ours and the one walked with me around the venue a few times. By the time we left I only needed a couple hundred steps. We got home at 11:30 and I walked in front of the house to get the last of the steps. I did get them before midnight.

So far I have gotten my steps everyou day. Today we will be at my moms and I know I won't get many steps until later tonight. Our city does the their fireworks tonight and we all from our house. It is a few miles 1 way. I should have no problem getting my steps in.

Saturday I tried on a dress that I have had for a year but only wore it once before I gained too much weiget and it didn't fit. I was so excited that it almost fits again. This will be a short term goal. I will fit in this dress before the summer over. Thank you to this group for helping me get to where I want to be. You have all kept me motivated and accountable.

Happy 4th to everyone. Have a safe and happy day.

Definitely my husband is my personal partner - we just celebrated our 16th anniversary and are as happy as we have ever been. Side by side we work our way through life. Sounds corny, but absolutely true for us.

I would say that my family (husband included) are definitely supportive of my lifestyle change. Although I felt a little less support on vacation, when my family started to give me a bit of a hard time because I was getting the healthier options and they were living it up food wise. But things are back to normal now.

Our family likes to watch/play sports together, to go to festivals, concerts and movies.

After everything, I estimate I had over 2000 calories for the first time in months. I tried!!!

The other bad thing was I didn't run. I just wasn't feeling it - I was on vacation and just wanted to relax. Probably the first time I broke my plan to run. Not happy about it, but I don't regret it either.

After all is said and done, I left at 229 lbs and this morning I weighed in at 230.5 lbs. Not horrible, but not great either. It was good practice at what life might be like during the maintaining phtase which will be here soon. It's tough when your eating out all the time and not in total control of the food your eating and how it's prepared.

2000 would still be below maintenance level for average size male, and to gain 1.5 lbs you need to eat 5200 calories more. It's 2 burger & fries and coke meals at 5 guys, not that much really but it sounds like you practised some resistance & awareness

As someone who have lost and gained weight before I absolutely agree, you need to have a very strong maintenance plan for action and creating situations where you can test your resilience and take lessons learned in small portions, as you have done is great! It sounds like you had wonderful time

July 5th - Onwards to Adventureland

Adventureland_Disneyland.jpg

We are heading left as we leave the hub and the Partners Statue.
I hope everyone had a Happy July 4th and enjoyed their view of the Fireworks!

As we enter Adventureland, you'll notice right away that we're walking past the World Famous Tiki Room!
Tiki-Room-Disneyland.jpg

The Enchanted Tiki Room has been a staple at Disneyland since 1963.
In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki tiki room... All the birds sing words and the flowers croon!
The shows between Disneyland and MK are the same - so if you've done one, you've done both.

Question of the Day - July 5th
Disneyland is famous for its Dole Whip snack, which can be purchased outside the Tiki Room.
It's a pineapple-flavored soft serve and great to munch on while enjoying the show on a hot day.

What are some healthy snacks you enjoy eating?
Have you changed your eating habits recently because of the lifestyle change you're making?

Bonus: Have you tried the Dole Whip? What did you think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter