Campers, y’all are not going to believe this

If they required a scan to confirm an ADR and/or staying at a resort from DS via bus, then they would have lost us as locals who investigate the resorts before committing to a DVC rental and/or WDW resort stay. The DS busses provide us a means to determine which resort(s) are appealing and ones that aren't.
Reasons like this, and the pp above who mentioned shopping, may be why Disney hasn't changed things. And like I said, I'm not normally one to ask for more restrictions. People like you aren't the nuisance, it's the playdates to the pool and stuff like that that disrupt the resort guests. Maybe they can come up with a better option. Aulani uses wristbands pretty effectively in the pool area, we saw them checking pretty often.

Reasons like this, and the pp above who mentioned shopping, may be why Disney hasn't changed things. And like I said, I'm not normally one to ask for more restrictions. People like you aren't the nuisance, it's the playdates to the pool and stuff like that that disrupt the resort guests. Maybe they can come up with a better option. Aulani uses wristbands pretty effectively in the pool area, we saw them checking pretty often.
From what I understand, Stormalong Bay also requires a wristband. I think that is a pretty good stopgap measure in concept. But I don't think it eliminates if the pool playdates just wait for someone to open the gate and they funnel in?

Otherwise, I think SB has a lifeguard/CM that is staged at the entrance to the pool itself to qualify entry. I don't know what it costs SB to man that post.

If the issue is use of the pool, then restrictions should be aimed at the pool, not at people who want to visit the Fort (or other resorts) for other reasons. Wristbands issued at the gate to the pool, along with periodic wristband checks looking for those who slip in behind registered guests, could be effective. I agree with PP that Disney doesn’t want to forgo revenue from gift shop sales (one of my favorite pairs of socks came from the trading post, bought when we weren’t staying at FW) or non-ADR food sales. Checking for resort reservations and ADRs at DS or any other Disney transportation depot (we rode the boat from MK, just to shop at the trading post and have a drink) isn’t reasonable, IMHO.

PS A similar discussion occurs periodically advocating that only registered guests and those with ADRs should be allowed to ride the Resort monorail.

Last edited:
All revenue left on the table is lost revenue. I think they would rather capture as much of the audience as they can.

.... until it negatively impacts the Fort resident experience. Which is why they implement this scan-for-entry policy in a few, high traffic situations.

A low-to-moderate level of resort hopping can be absorbed at all Disney resorts. A high level apparently wasn't absorbed here in this case. Fort management has learned from past experience.

giphy.gif

Bama Ed

PS - and hey I'm all for pool bands or some policy at the pool 365 days a year.

If the issue is use of the pool, then restrictions should be aimed at the pool, not at people who want to visit the Fort (or other resorts) for other reasons. Wristbands issued at the gate to the pool, along with periodic wristband checks looking for those who slip in behind registered guests, could be effective. I agree with PP that Disney doesn’t want to forgo revenue from gift shop sales (one of my favorite pairs of socks came from the trading post, bought when we weren’t staying at FW) or non-ADR food sales. Checking for resort reservations and ADRs at DS or any other Disney transportation depot (we rode the boat from MK, just to shop at the trading post and have a drink) isn’t reasonable, IMHO.

PS A similar discussion occurs periodically advocating that only registered guests and those with ADRs should be allowed to ride the Resort monorail.
I think we have to remember the parking issue, as well. There are people who will enter the resort with the intent to park for free and take the boat over to MK. Or whatever resort they're entering. So then you have a bunch of extra cars taking up spaces that were for guests staying at the resort as well as less parking revenue for Disney. I think if you're taking the boat over from MK that's one thing. The issue is people parking and taking it TO MK. I have seen the so called influencers even tell people to go have their breakfast at whatever resort (even if it's quick service that they're using mobile order for, which gets them in) and then take that to the park so they don't have to pay for parking.

I think we have to remember the parking issue, as well. There are people who will enter the resort with the intent to park for free and take the boat over to MK. Or whatever resort they're entering. So then you have a bunch of extra cars taking up spaces that were for guests staying at the resort as well as less parking revenue for Disney. I think if you're taking the boat over from MK that's one thing. The issue is people parking and taking it TO MK. I have seen the so called influencers even tell people to go have their breakfast at whatever resort (even if it's quick service that they're using mobile order for, which gets them in) and then take that to the park so they don't have to pay for parking.
Yes, that is a problem and is why the near-park resorts are very persnickety about parking if the guest doesn’t have an ADR etc., especially in the morning. Even the mobile order loophole has been closed, at least to some extent, by refusing entrance with a mobile order or at minimum requiring the guest to click Prepare My Order so that it couldn’t be cancelled. But until Disney installs gates and charges for parking at the resorts (with exclusions for guests staying there and for a limited amount of time for those with ADRs), there will still be people getting around the rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter