Received email about closings at CBR - help!!

I called again and got a wonderful Cast Member this time. Our stay is 4/23-4/28. I expressed my concern about the construction and the potential for not having access to some of the amenities at the resort. She said that many guests have been calling over the past two days and expressing their concerns and disappointment over the construction at CBR, and that while compensation wasn't being given yesterday, today they were. She said they heard loud and clear that guests were not happy and were taking action to make things right.

She offered me a $75/night reduction in my rate or a lateral move to POFQ, and 3 anytime FPs. I happily took the discount and the FPs. She did not confirm that the construction would be starting May 1, rather went on to say that we would not have access to Center Town, etc due to construction during our stay. So for those who are expecting use of Center Town for the Star Wars race weekend, you might want to check again to see if the construction time frame has been pushed to start earlier.

I just called and was told that my date (4/19-4/29) would not be affected, no discount or move offered. I am going to try again in the am, and see if I get the same story, since I am seeing that some within my dates have gotten some sort of compensation.

So my question is, if we are booked for the beginning of July, should I call NOW to complain and try to get POR for the same cost (which is where we actually wanted to stay, but were trying to save $ by trying CBR this trip), or should I wait til I get some kind of email from WDW? Because I can't imagine this stuff is going to be opened by July 9 if they're just starting May 1, and given the amount of time we spend at the resort, it really will affect us negatively.

I called today and was offered the $75 off a day or we could move to POR for no extra money. We decided to move to POR. We have a 10 day stay and decided if it was a shorter stay we would have taken the $75 off. This will give us a chance to stay at a resort we have never stayed at. I'm a little nervous about staying there but it's just like the things I have heard about CBR. Good and Bad. CBR has always been our favorite resort.

I called today and was offered the $75 off a day or we could move to POR for no extra money. We decided to move to POR. We have a 10 day stay and decided if it was a shorter stay we would have taken the $75 off. This will give us a chance to stay at a resort we have never stayed at. I'm a little nervous about staying there but it's just like the things I have heard about CBR. Good and Bad. CBR has always been our favorite resort.

When are you going?
Did you get the email about the closing, or did you just call the regular reservation line proactively?

I completely understand the reasoning, but do I risk having to stay at a resort with no compensation for the construction and closures, or take things into my own hands and secure a resort with no issues?

I see you already had a resolution, but if it was me and they still weren't doing anything for me I would have cancel my reservation and gone offsite. The last time Disney couldn't accommodate us an extra night since we were arriving early and their options were SS for $580 or POR for $280 I laugh and said thanks but no thanks I am going offsite. I could stay at the Waldorf or four seasons uber back and forth as much as I wanted (no waiting for Disney buses:worship:) and still come ahead . I used to be an on site or no trip until I saw the options offsite. For us not having to worry about driving certain times are important, but with uber and all the savings plus better rooms and service makes it all worth it.

The same thing happened for upcoming stay next week. Their options were so ridiculous that we end up booking a universal hotel for the extra night.

Last edited:
We are in the UK and have stayed at CBR a dozen times. We have been there several trips when villages were being renovated ...once it really spoils it for us
We booked our Christmas 2017 vacation back I. April 2016 as there was a good deal,on.
Devastated with the news but even longer warning would not have helped us. We paid for a preferred view room which would put us in Trinidad right next to the hell so no thank you.
We contact the company we booked with and they were very helpful. They were on the phone almost an hour checking options and for very minimal cost we have switched to a royal room at POR and they have maintained all our options like free dine plan and gift card etc that are no longer being offered. Yes we have paid a little more ..l though not as much as we should have but I view it as unavoidable. Ven a years warning would not have helped us and hey have to do it at some point. I don't think they were ever going to take the decision to close the resort

What I do think is unfair is if they don't make it very very clear to any new bookers what they can expect.

You paid for Trinidad because of location, yet took Royal room at POR?

Have you seen where those are located?
POR is Huge... and those are not convenient rooms... cute, but not a good location ( tho smart marketing to fill less than stellar rooms)
If central location is a priority for you, book a preferred room. It's the only way we stay at POR!

The end of the year??? Yipes! We have a free dining bounceback booked there for mid Dec. Two rooms actually. We are going with DS & DDIL. First trip for DDIL & our first time at CBR. I tried to change to POR a few months ago & nothing was available for the discount. What good is free dining if you can't even eat at your resort?

Wonder if I should keep trying to change or wait for them to contact us.
I wouldn't wait. Being Proactive would likely be better!

POR is Huge... and those are not convenient rooms... cute, but not a good location ( tho smart marketing to fill less than stellar rooms)
If central location is a priority for you, book a preferred room. It's the only way we stay at POR!

@Scrapdolly I have stayed in Royal Rooms twice and they are not far from the main hub at all. A few minute walk across the bridge and you are at dining etc.

I think you made a good move. You'll have TS, a good QS with another not far at FQ. And the boat to DS for even more dining options. Enjoy!

We are staying two nights after our cruise, April 29th and 30th. We did not receive an email so perhaps it is starting May 1st. But it's interesting that rates for those nights are $162, just above ASM at $151 and way behind Riverside at $222. So perhaps any potential inconvenience is already factored in. Maybe with everyone bailing it will be nice and quiet!

I wouldn't wait. Being Proactive would likely be better!

Thanks! I spoke with DDIL, they would love POFQ. I won't be home from my 12.5 hour shift tomorrow til about 8:30 pm. I'll have to call Friday. Maybe by then, the CMs will have more ability to change us.

When are you going?
Did you get the email about the closing, or did you just call the regular reservation line proactively?
We are going May 6- May 16th. Yes I did get the letter and the phone number I called was in the letter. I was surprised that someone answered the phone so quickly and they transferred my right away to someone that could help me.

OK, OP here. Here's what happened. I called the number that was in the email, and first was waiting on a queue, then they said the phones were down and I was disconnected. So I called the regular reservation number and told my sad tale to the person on the phone and the only thing we could work out was upgrading to WL for $400 more. So I took that and made sure the reservation was changed online. Then I continued to call the original number they gave until it came back up, and eventually got a human on the phone. Turns out this number is guest services, not a typical reservation number. She heard my story, and I was very nice but made it clear that I wasn't happy about the additional $400 cost. She put me on hold for a while, and came back and offered to send me a $400 gift card to make up the difference. I was fine with that. So that's where we left it. Assuming that card arrives, I'm satisfied with how it was handled. I know that Roaring Forks is under refurbishment while we are there, but I can live with that.
I have to say that this really annoys me though. I make every effort before I book a location, to make sure that everything is in order, nothing is being refurbished, etc. And then 60 days before they do this? That stinks. But I've never stayed at WL, so I'm happy enough to still have a really nice resort to stay at that isn't ginormous (which is why I had payed for a preferred room at CBR).

I am glad that you persevered and got a reasonable resolution. We got hit by the construction at Poly. Unfortunately, we weren't notified and only found out a couple of days before our vacation. It was only a few days and then we were doing a cruise, so no pool wasn't the end of the world. However, the construction noise at night and early in the morning was bad. You don't even want to be at CBR with everything they are doing. I have a reservation for CSR for this summer. I already booked AKL and will be canceling CSR. I just won't go through heavy construction again. Hope you have a great trip.

So my question is, if we are booked for the beginning of July, should I call NOW to complain and try to get POR for the same cost (which is where we actually wanted to stay, but were trying to save $ by trying CBR this trip), or should I wait til I get some kind of email from WDW? Because I can't imagine this stuff is going to be opened by July 9 if they're just starting May 1, and given the amount of time we spend at the resort, it really will affect us negatively.

I would not wait.

Can I say - never say never.
We arranged to move yesterday through our TA and were paying an increase to go to POR. Whilst not thrilled, it was our choice and we accepted the price hike (we were on a very good deal as anyway as we booked in April 2016 for Dec 2017)
Hearing others had discounts I called back today and whilst I was on hold for 3 hours (it was a free number) they have price matched our our original booking so have moved us for no extra charge
They could not have been more helpful.

Still sad not to be at CBR which we love but excited to be trying a new resort

Thanks! I spoke with DDIL, they would love POFQ. I won't be home from my 12.5 hour shift tomorrow til about 8:30 pm. I'll have to call Friday. Maybe by then, the CMs will have more ability to change us.
If you are hoping to move to POFQ, then I wouldn't wait. It's a small resort and books quickly so I would bet the amount they can move there would be much more limited.

When my TA called on Tuesday Disney said they were not providing any type of compensation, much like everyone else was saying. Yesterday when I saw the $75/night offer I was getting ready to call myself but my TA, unbeknownst to me, was still trying to work something out and she managed to get us switched to Coronado and our total is $100 less for 5 nights. While it wasn't the best solution since they're going through a refurbishment as well, I do feel better now, and saving money never hurts. I hope everyone's situation works out for them!

Last edited:

@Scrapdolly I have stayed in Royal Rooms twice and they are not far from the main hub at all. A few minute walk across the bridge and you are at dining etc.

I think you made a good move. You'll have TS, a good QS with another not far at FQ. And the boat to DS for even more dining options. Enjoy!
I agree. Royal rooms are not far from the central hub/pool at all. Quite close to much of it, with the bridge right there in front of them. Walk across it and you are at the boat dock to DS and from there a very quick walk to the lobby. The pool and bus stops may be a few steps further than Preferred but not much. And one of the buildings is right in front of the East Bus Stop
They are also a great location if you want to walk to POFQ

I am going in Mid June and I am wondering what will be torn up then. It seems the food areas will be done but is next. Basically that is my problem with refurbishment. I booked a week before this broke so they knew and I should have been told. If I knew more of the schedule it might not be an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter