Received email about closings at CBR - help!!

A few thoughts.

It may not be as disruptive as it sounds. Disney usually does a pretty good job of keeping up the show.

That being said it would be nice if they offered some compensation without having to complain, beg, cajole and be on hold for hours. What if in the email about the renovations they said "we would like to offer a 20% discount on your original rate" or something like that?

It might make people less upset and be cheaper than $75/night they seem to be offering those who complain and they would spend less time fielding calls. It would make it easier for the CMs to say you have to pay the difference on a move or upgrade. 20% take it or leave it.

I would cancel if I wasn't satisfied. There are a lot of places you could vacation on a budget similar to CBR and park tickets and food for a few days.

One last thing. A minor peeve to some posters here. When you say "x dollars more" but don't say if that is a total (for how many nights) or per day (I assume not in most cases but for some room categories it is possible). You should give the per night cost (or discount) or else it's kind of meaningless.

It's not just this thread but all over disboards. I read a thread recently where someone said they upgraded from a value to moderate for $200 more. They were happy so I'm assuming it wasn't per night but was it 2, 3, 10 nights? It could be a horrible deal or an absolutely fabulous deal. We have no idea.

Finally talked to a lady who said they couldn't do anything for anyone because the resort has not authorized them to do so.
If you ask me it's a tad ridiculous that a company as big as this has the last chain of command in guest relations who can't do anything compensate for such a big thing.

I had to talk to guest services yesterday to get my free dining BB reservation changed. I had to wait on hold for an hour probably because of all the poor people calling about what is going on at CBR. The guy I talked to was amazing and able to get me in to the Contemporary garden wing for the dates that I needed even though the system was telling him no to the start date. He said oh there is rooms for that first day, it is just the room blocking system so I'm going to override it and book you. I think you just need to get the right person on the phone at guest services. A few years ago the person that I spoke to at guest services told me NO to something but when my hubby called back and spoke to someone else it wasn't an issue.

I booked through Orbitz for 4/21 to 4/30 and finally had time in my schedule today to wait on hold to try and get this issue resolved. The agent at Orbitz first spoke to a CM who said that the email was purely informational and was provided to give us the option of cancelling with no penalty and moving elsewhere. The CM vehemently denied that anyone had been offered credits or a move to another reosrt. I asked the Orbitz agent to please call again and speak to a supervisor. After waiting on hold again, the Orbitz agent came back on the line and told me that I needed to forward the email I received to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com and that was the only way for me to receive any resolution. So I'm trying that. If I don't hear anything within the next day or two, I'll try to have Orbitz call again or call directly.

Just called. I am staying CSR from 4/15-4/18. They had rooms at POR available, but for an upcharge. The CM had thanked me previously for being an AP holder, so I said that b/c we're looking to travel down there more, we'd like to keep this trip as low-cost as possible. Also called out the fact that while it's only 80-100 more, that'd be the price of a meal.

She didn't budge. Not even FP+s. My past few conversations have been disappointing and I'm still stuck at CSR, which I feel as though will be a disappointment. Flights are booked, so there's no turning back now. Not sure how you guys are pulling it off. I guess because CBR is more drastic.

Just called. I am staying CSR from 4/15-4/18. They had rooms at POR available, but for an upcharge. The CM had thanked me previously for being an AP holder, so I said that b/c we're looking to travel down there more, we'd like to keep this trip as low-cost as possible. Also called out the fact that while it's only 80-100 more, that'd be the price of a meal.

She didn't budge. Not even FP+s. My past few conversations have been disappointing and I'm still stuck at CSR, which I feel as though will be a disappointment. Flights are booked, so there's no turning back now. Not sure how you guys are pulling it off. I guess because CBR is more drastic.

Have you received notifications of amenities being unavailable at CSR? I realize there isn't ongoing construction at that resort but not aware of any amenity closures like at CBR. that is likely the difference.

I imagine that it is the magnitude of potential disruption that has incented Disney to make adjustments for those who are booked at CBR. I will say that if you can use the pool and restaurants, I bet you will be fine. CSR is a lovely resort. If upon arrival you find that there is excessive noise, etc, I would then discuss the issue with your manager.

I booked through Orbitz for 4/21 to 4/30 and finally had time in my schedule today to wait on hold to try and get this issue resolved. The agent at Orbitz first spoke to a CM who said that the email was purely informational and was provided to give us the option of cancelling with no penalty and moving elsewhere. The CM vehemently denied that anyone had been offered credits or a move to another reosrt. I asked the Orbitz agent to please call again and speak to a supervisor. After waiting on hold again, the Orbitz agent came back on the line and told me that I needed to forward the email I received to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com and that was the only way for me to receive any resolution. So I'm trying that. If I don't hear anything within the next day or two, I'll try to have Orbitz call again or call directly.

I have never booked thru a travel site like Orbitz, but I wonder if the issue is that Disney feels the rate was already discounted, or perhaps they feel no obligation because the reservation was not thru them. Please let us know what the outcome is.

I imagine that it is the magnitude of potential disruption that has incented Disney to make adjustments for those who are booked at CBR. I will say that if you can use the pool and restaurants, I bet you will be fine. CSR is a lovely resort. If upon arrival you find that there is excessive noise, etc, I would then discuss the issue with your manager.

Yeah the CM was nice enough to put in a note that we would like to be away from the construction.

Have you received notifications of amenities being unavailable at CSR? I realize there isn't ongoing construction at that resort but not aware of any amenity closures like at CBR. that is likely the difference.

Yeah, I believe all amenities will be available. Understandable why they wouldn't be giving as much as they are at CBR. My main concern is the detours, noise and dust. It's for my parents' anniversary and the first time my sister and I have been able to send/bring them on a vacation. We'd really like it to be perfect.

I'm staying at CBR during the last week of March. Is there somewhere I can check to see if there is any construction work scheduled when I'll be there?

I'll be very surprised if Disney does anything for someone booked with Orbitz. We had a room issue and had booked with Orbitz. Had we booked with Disney, we would have gotten a small refund from Disney. Because it was a third party booking they were unable to do anything (and they did try). I had to work with Orbitz, which was not worth the effort in the end.

ETA - Your dates end on 4/30? I thought the stuff all closed down on 5/1. Is that incorrect?

Last edited:

I have never booked thru a travel site like Orbitz, but I wonder if the issue is that Disney feels the rate was already discounted, or perhaps they feel no obligation because the reservation was not thru them. Please let us know what the outcome is.

So the advice to forward the email sounded fishy to me, so I called Disney directly at the 4075604000 number and my call was answered immediately by someone who said yes, they were offering compensation, but it would have to be done through my travel agent. She suggested that I should have an Orbitz leader contact Disney through the number they have as a wholesaler. So I called Orbitz back; the first person I spoke to insisted on trying again through the general reservation number, was again told that no compensation was being offered. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. He spent an hour and a half going back and forth with Disney through both the wholesale number and the general reservation number and was told that no compensation was being offered for my dates, despite multiple reports to the contrary here on the boards (and the fact that I received an email saying that my stay would be affected). He offered me a $75 Orbitz coupon. I told him I would call back tomorrow.

I'll be very surprised if Disney does anything for someone booked with Orbitz. We had a room issue and had booked with Orbitz. Had we booked with Disney, we would have gotten a small refund from Disney. Because it was a third party booking they were unable to do anything (and they did try). I had to work with Orbitz, which was not worth the effort in the end.

ETA - Your dates end on 4/30? I thought the stuff all closed down on 5/1. Is that incorrect?

Yeah it is very very hard to refund any money when you booked through a third party although they could have offer you a GC

I received the email from Disney on Tuesday morning, so my assumption was that there would some disruption occurring during that time. In addition, there are at least 3 people on the boards who say they were offered the discount for stays that end prior to April 30 (lovingeire, DisneyDreamers3, and Dani W).

If Disney follows up with another email saying definitively that I won't be affected, that's fine, but you can understand why those of us who are staying in late April and received the email are confused and having difficulty taking CMs at their word that we won't be affected in light of all of the other contradictory information.

Last edited:
I received the email from Disney on Tuesday morning, so my assumption was that there would some disruption occurring during that time. In addition, there are at least 3 people on the boards who say they were offered the discount for stays that end prior to April 30 (lovingeire, DisneyDreamers3, and Dani W).

If Disney follows up with another email saying definitely that I won't be affected, that's fine, but you can understand why those of us who are staying in late April and received the email are confused and having difficulty taking CMs at their word that we won't be affected in light of all of the other contradictory information.

Are you staying at CBR or CSR?

In many ways this all sounds so typical for Disney in this situation. They obviously had plans for construction and renovation many months in advance; applied for permits many months in advance but didn't seem to have thought through the potential effects before notifying those booked at CBR during the affected dates (or worse, see next paragraph). It seems unlikely but maybe permit approval came through earlier than expected or more likely, someone dropped the ball again. Disney is not new to the renovation/construction process. By now they should have this down pat.

The fact that the first group to complain to Disney got a different response than the second group is further proof of Disney's lack of prep for this change. A nagging negative thought in my mind from all this is that Disney knew all along and gambled on: some people never realizing the impact (esp. first time visitors) until arrival or some just accepting the situation without question, or other people willing to accept varying degrees of compensation. Sort of a risk assessment decision by Disney?

And on the other hand, as a Help Desk Supervisor in a large federal contract for seven years I can tell you that ensuring your call agents a) hear and read announcements; b) understand what the announcements mean and c) handle situations as expected is almost super-human work! And it wasn't always their fault since project management was infamous for not telling us what was going on and not thinking through what a small change might cause. Sometimes we felt like the test group for changes.

Regardless of Disney's behind-the-scenes thinking I hope people booked at CBR get proper satisfaction. And that satisfaction should be offered to all regardless of how they booked and even if they never request it. Yes, some are paying less than others to begin with but that doesn't mean they don't deserve equal attention.

We stayed at CBR for our very first Disney family trip in 1990 not long after it opened and loved the resort. We were in Trinidad North and relied on Old Port Royale for most breakfasts, snacks and gift shop items. Food trucks or a food tent might have been satisfactory but being around all that construction would definitely have been a disaster for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter