January 2024 W.I.S.H. Thread - Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

Ugh… this self imposed weather related stay in the house stay-cation is turning out to not be all that enjoyable. Turns out I’m very low on propane, they can come Monday but in the meantime I’m saving what is left in case of power outage. I was feeling grateful that we aren’t having wind with the cold temps, and that trees aren’t covered in ice and thinking the likelihood of outages was lower, then last night our power company posted to Facebook that the power grid was maxed out and to please turn everything off that isn’t absolutely needed, which I did. Today I only have heat and lights on in the living room but it is cold. Hard to knit with chilly fingers.

Roads are still quite bad, so no chance of going someplace warmer, like the movie theater. This will have to do for now.

Happy Saturday Everyone!!!!

For social Saturday-how do you enjoy your daily coffee or tea? Do you visit Starbucks or Dunkin? Maybe a local coffee spot? Or do you make your own?

We make our coffee at home 99% of the time and I was absolutely floored this week when I had to buy a coffee and a order of egg white bites at the hospital Starbucks for…$13!!!! I can see how this can quickly become a financial issue for people!

Update on my mom:today was a good day! She knew the year and the President! She has been downgraded from ICU to Intermediate 🙏🏼 her seizures have stopped 🙏🏼❤️ one day at a time-she is still not awake but all progress today was positive!!

Just got caught up from my time away. DH and I had a great trip. It was an award trip for his sales from the past year. There were a decent number of scheduled activities, but there was still plenty of down time, so really a perfect combination.

I'm not really a golfer, but one of the activities was golfing. Six or 7 of the 18 holes were ocean view - it was so beautiful! We also had a caddy which was a completely new experience. Like I said, I'm not much of a golfer, but I think he did improve me swing a bit with some of his advice!

Tonight is our Christmas party for work, but DH isn't feeling well, so we're probably staying home. Honestly, I for sure which DH felt better, but I don't mind staying home. Right now, it's snowing and 13 degrees out. Forecasted to be -2 when we'd be leaving the party with a wind chill around -13. Great night to be home and watching TV if you ask me!!

I adore coffee. It is the nectar of the gods.

I’m a Dunkin Donuts girl. Dunkin Midnight Dark Roast is my absolute favorite. Because I can’t function without coffee, I brew my Dunkin Midnight at home. I have a small Mr. Coffee that makes 5 cups. I drink a pot every morning with half & half and raw sugar.

I bring my own Dunkin coffee on vacation. When we drive to Cape Cod, we stop at Dunkin Donuts for our bathroom breaks. Dunkin has the best and cleanest bathrooms on a road trip…well stocked with soft toilet paper, paper towels, and soap. Dunkin also has the best food and coffee.

For social Saturday-how do you enjoy your daily coffee or tea? Do you visit Starbucks or Dunkin? Maybe a local coffee spot? Or do you make your own?

We have a Keurig at home - in fact, DS just got us a new one for Christmas 😃. We buy different flavored pods, and I usually make a 12oz. cup of decaf (or two) in the morning and a caffeinated one at noon.

(I have kind of a delayed reaction to caffeine, so the morning cup is just about the ritual of a warm drink and a slow start to the day; the noon one gets me through my late afternoon slump!)

If we're out and about, I like Dunkin' or HoneyDew.

Happy Saturday Everyone!!!!

We make our coffee at home 99% of the time and I was absolutely floored this week when I had to buy a coffee and a order of egg white bites at the hospital Starbucks for…$13!!!! I can see how this can quickly become a financial issue for people!

Update on my mom:today was a good day! She knew the year and the President! She has been downgraded from ICU to Intermediate 🙏🏼 her seizures have stopped 🙏🏼❤️ one day at a time-she is still not awake but all progress today was positive!!

I'm the oddball, but I'm not a coffee drinker at all. I do like brewed iced tea, but don't drink it too often. My "coffee" is my diet coke lol! I've actually cut way back on it too. I used to get one at McDonald's each day on my way to work, but now I drink water all day at work and then have a couple of diet cokes each evening. I keep telling myself I should cut that out too, but I just haven't taken that step yet!

I have become a cold brew convert but i cannot deal with the prices dunkin charges...so I make my own. Always flavored, sometimes I will splurge and order from Jofferys other times it's targets brand. Even with splurging on Joffreys the price is lower than a dollar a cup.
Hot coffee is for when I am at other people's houses at this point.
If you want to easily make your own cold brew put 1 cup of ground coffee in 3 or 3.5 cups of room temp water. Let it sit for 12 hours then strain it through a tight knit collender with a coffee filter inside. This MAKES A CONCENTRATE so you need to add equal amounts water when ready to drink. Abbott elementary had a great joke about this.
Tomorrow is my birthday so DH and I went out last night and we are doing cake with the kids tonight. Likely going to order new couches this afternoon that we looked at last night. Dragging all three kids to look at couches would not have been fun. Unfortunately the one we want will take about 10 weeks to come in so we need to order asap to have it here before we host Easter.

Last edited:
I have become a cold brew convert but i cannot deal with the prices dunkin charges...so I make my own. Always flavored, sometimes I will splurge and order from Jofferys other times it's targets brand. Even with splurging on Joffreys the price is lower than a dollar a cup.
If you want to easily make your own cold brew put 1 cup of ground coffee in 3 or 3.5 cups of room temp water. Let it sit for 12 hours then strain it through a tight knit collender with a coffee filter inside. This MAKES A CONCENTRATE so you need to add equal amounts water when ready to drink. Abbott elementary had a great joke about this.
Tomorrow is my birthday so DH and I went out last night and we are doing cake with the kids tonight. Likely going to order new couches this afternoon that we looked at last night. Dragging all three kids to look at couches would not have been fun. Unfortunately the one we want will take about 10 weeks to come in so we need to order asap to have it here before we host Easter.
IMG_2815.jpeg

Happy Birthday!

We’re back up to a balmy 30 degrees today and boy does it make a difference. The house is still cold, but I did reclaim the kitchen spending some time in it baking cookies and washing dishes. My Niece saved my mental health yesterday by asking me if I wanted to go to the grocery store with them. It felt so good to get out and about. I’m doing fine today because it feels like we’re thru the worst of it. Tomorrow we’ll be above freezing so I am planning on going to an afternoon movie, and maybe even get lunch. Woohoo to doing normal things again!

IMG_1144.jpeg

Happy Sunday I am so sorry I know it’s almost Monday but I am all out of sorts staying up all night and trying to catch up on sleep!

I did have a somewhat normal day today of church and volunteering at the coffee bar. Back at the hospital now and mom is the most active I have seen her! She remembered what beauty salon she worked at in the 80s and the name of her favorite customer! She demanded jello as well! Her eyes are opening!!!!!

Good morning, all, and happy Monday!! Today's motivation quote is from James Clear:

1705321006879.png

I really agree with this one! If I set small goals that I can almost always stick to, I find I often do more than I planned. But if I set difficult goals and then fail to meet them most days, I get discouraged and give up.

What are your thoughts?

Good morning, all, and happy Monday!! Today's motivation quote is from James Clear:

View attachment 826014

I really agree with this one! If I set small goals that I can almost always stick to, I find I often do more than I planned. But if I set difficult goals and then fail to meet them most days, I get discouraged and give up.

What are your thoughts?

I complete agree. If I set lofty goals, it's so easy to get discouraged or not even try because I know it's just not attainable most days.

It's hard not to try to rush everything (when dealing with weight loss), but it's the only thing that works for me now!

Very much agree with the quote. I try to set realistic step and eating goals. While I want toset loftier ones I know the odds of obtaining them are iffy and I don't want to get frustrated and down on myself for not hitting on the big goals when the smaller ones are much more doable.
Trying to teach the kids this...it's not going great.

Love that quote , it really gives me something to think on… what can I do on my lowest least days.

Happily the temps just got to 32 degrees and should get a bit higher before sunset. The propane people have been by to do the inspection and everything is fine. Now I’m just hanging out waiting to hear if they can deliver the propane today. So no movie or lunch out for me, but I am hoping to make a run to the grocery store because my body is crying for a salad.

I 100% agree with the quote.

I began my allergy testing today. Wow! 39 needles. 6 came up with severe reactions...some of which are dust mites, mold, and tree pollen as expected.

We're getting snow tonight and tomorrow...unfortunately ice as well. I'm hoping for a snow day tomorrow. I'm on the verge of burn-out, and I really need to be anywhere but in school right now.

Completely agree with this quote! I try and build on my small goals to accomplish the big ones!

Our snow is starting at midnight and will continue all night into mid day tomorrow! I plan to work at home tomorrow. It’s absolutely freezing here!!

Mom has made no progress today but not everyday will be progress-staying the same and sleeping is ok too, just trying to remind myself of that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter