January 2024 W.I.S.H. Thread - Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

Woohoo... the windiest part of the storms has passed and no trees or large branches came down in my yard or neighborhood. Boohoo... the weather forecast has been updated and now there is no snow, aside from some possible thick rain tomorrow. Fri/Sat are going to be clear skies and very cold instead. My plan is still to stay mostly indoors, mostly knitting, with just a few walks.

Woohoo... I have about two weeks worth of food in the house. Boohoo... this is now totally unnecessary aside from being a new life experience.

Woohoo... after a few days, I am really liking my haircut and happy that I decided to cut it short again.

Woohoo -- I am doing a bit better today. I am still coughing and feel a bit more congested but nothing I have had to take meds for and I feel pretty good. I am still not getting on the treadmill though as I really do not want to over do it. I am hoping by next week I can get on and at least do some light walking.

WooHoo -- I found a show that DD, DH and I will all watch. It is "The Curious Case of Natalie Grace". This is a true story and has 2 seasons so far and I think a 3rd will be coming out at some point. This is the craziest story I have ever seen. It is kind of like Tiger King in the way that it is such a train wreck and so crazy that you just need to watch the next episode to see what happens next.

WooHoo to being ahead on my exercise minutes, and to the sun actually coming out for a little bit this morning. :rotfl:

Unrelated to exercise, but connections are also healthy, right? - Had an unexpected phone call from a friend's mom this morning, and it made day!

Woowhoo the kids that had the stomach bug appear to be over it.
Woowhoo the ridiculous rain and wind didn't do much damage (that I know of) in the neighborhood.
Woowhoo for DD's speaking progress
Woowhoo that I was able to actually get some work done with the kids home today. Not so woowhoo that now I have to go into the office Friday and they will likely have to make up this day of school since they canceled instead of doing DL

Not so woowhoo that now I have to go into the office Friday and they will likely have to make up this day of school since they canceled instead of doing DL
Does your school not have calamity days? We call them snow days. We used to get 5 a year before having to make up the time but they changed a few years before COVID. Now it depends on how much extra time the kids re in school each day. So if they are only required to be in school for 5 hours but the school day is 8 hours, they get 3 hours a day. You add that up the extra hours to get how many days you have. We now have like 20 some days a year. Now we never get to that but the likely hood that some schools get 6 or 7 are high. These are the schools in the snow belt that get several inches of snow during lake affect snow storms. So really we do not have to make up days. I think they switched to this because adding make up days during spring break or at the end of they year were pointless with so many going on vacations and such.

Today I am thankful for sources of heat. My portable radiator is keeping the bedroom comfy and my electric blanket keeps the bed cozy. The heat exchange unit keeps the living room livable and the propane stove is right here beside my desk, I don't know how I would get thru the day without it. Friday and Saturday our temps are going to drop down into the 20's, which is quite cold for this area. I'm thinking I'll move the recliner over so I can snuggle in it beside the stove for my knitting and reading.

This morning I got the statement for my D&C procedure and while it is more than I expected ($2700) I am sure thankful I don't have to pay the entire thing ($27000) and I am thankful that the hospital and health care system here are so good.

On a different note, today is a powerful day for manifesting so if you're working on anything its a good time to really focus on it.

IMG_1130.jpeg
Happy Thursday Friends! What are we thankful for today?

My mother had brain surgery Tuesday and is experiencing various complications. She has not woken up from the surgery yet so I will not be a very active host the rest of the week because we are all rotating out shifts so she’s not alone. But I will do my best!

Thankful for caring doctors and nurses and for my Faith, which is the only thing keeping me going at this point.

View attachment 824948

My mother had brain surgery Tuesday and is experiencing various complications. She has not woken up from the surgery yet so I will not be a very active host the rest of the week because we are all rotating out shifts so she’s not alone. But I will do my best!

Thankful for caring doctors and nurses and for my Faith, which is the only thing keeping me going at this point.
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry things haven't been going smoothly with the surgery and I hope she is awake and healing soon :hug:

I was supposed to start hosting on Monday and I'd be fine starting a little early. You just take care of your mom and don't worry about us!

View attachment 824948

Holding you and your Mom in my thoughts. Hugs.

View attachment 824948

Sending prayers your way.

I’m thankful for the two hour window when I was administering an online assessment that technology decided to work. I was able to assess 10 students. My colleagues didn’t have the same luck. We have been struggling all week, so it was a relief to make real progress today.

I’m thankful for my career, school, colleagues, friends, principals, and mostly my students who I love with all my heart even though they drive me crazy.

Thank you everyone ❤️ I think I am ok to continue hosting @PollyannaMom but thank you so much for the offer.

Around 2pm mom started saying a few phrases over and over, which is great progress. Before this afternoon she has only said yes and once said no. The doctors are optimistic that this is the beginning of her waking up. When you ask her to open her eyes and wake up she says I DONT WANNA!!

Shes becoming slightly aware of her pain as well, which is a new development this afternoon. She has said “I don’t feel good” over and over. So sad but this is progress towards her waking up.

@PAsFab5 I hope your mom continues to make progress! As difficult as it is to hear she is uncomfortable seems like a really good sign!

@piglet1979 they used to build in snow days and typically a snow day (since they have a good idea its coming) is a distance learning day. But since no one was prepared they just canceled. If they had been delayed or dismissed early they wouldn't have had to make it up. Maybe they'll be lucky and won't tack it on or maybe make one of the pd days distance learning.

Thankful for a decent night, I was able to take a walk during scouts.
Thankful for my good blood work results and the fact I dropped 2 pounds since the fall. Considering my goal was not to gain thats a win.
Thankful my mother in law is being proactive about getting her cataract taken care of. I had to drag my mother kicking and screaming.
Thankful for my two younger kids teachers, they are really wonderful.

Happy Friday!

We
ended up with a couple inches of snow last night, which turned into quite a problem on the roads as they were wet when it started and the temps have dropped, so it is now all frozen. 17 degrees this morning and that will continue for several days, so now I am feeling pretty smart about getting so much food into the house.

1705078434774.png

And my weekend plans to hunker down and knit and read are on!

TGIF
What a terrible Friday. Two of my kindergarten teachers were out. There was only one substitute so the other class was split among 1st grade and kindergarten. I have 24 students and I got 4 more. My part time paraprofessional was with the bilingual class most of the day. My foster grandmother volunteer was on medical leave so I got a different volunteer. She yelled at my students the entire time which caused problems because I do not yell. My students respond to a calm firm voice, and when a crazy lady was screaming at the top of her lungs their behaviors escalated and chaos ensued. She did the exact opposite of what I needed her to do and made the day even more difficult.

I couldn’t wait to go home and have a glass of wine. Cheers to the weekend.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter