January 2024 W.I.S.H. Thread - Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

View attachment 826216

Saw this one and thought it was a good reminder during cold and flu season.

Is laughter part of your daily life (funny stories welcome!) and if not, can you find some room for it?

I love that quote! Honestly, I'd be stretching it if I said laughter was part of my daily life. I'm a pretty reserved person by nature, so I'm just not one of those people who belly laugh often. I need to work on that, because I do love a good belly laugh!! I am a smiler though, so hopefully that helps some!!

But, by the same token, I'm often not angry - so that's also a good thing.

What a great quote. I feel like there’s just so much misery in the world. Thinking more positively and trying to find humor in the midst of difficulties is essential. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO LAUGH!!! I purposely seek out comedic shows and movies to watch. I have even found authors who write humorous books. I bring humor into my teaching constantly and it was noted as a positive trait of mine in a recent observation write-up. My DD has performed in comedy clubs, and I definitely take some credit for her comedic timing growing up in a household of laughter.

My friend and colleague who is battling terminal brain cancer requested that we send her daily funny memes and videos. It is helping her to cope with it all.

I cry a lot and I do believe that is healthy, but it’s easy for me to turn on a dime and crack up until I wet my pants too. I hope that I never lose the ability to laugh.

I work hard to find the humor in most non-disaster situations...and if you look hard enough the funny is almost everywhere. It's something I started in college while studying theater. It doesn't always result in a belly laugh but a little chuckle is generally there.
Ate way too much junk this weekend need to get back on track

I missed a few days.

@PAsFab5 -- Hugs to you and your family. I am happy to hear your mom is making Progress.

@ShannyMcB -- Happy Birthday

Saturday's questions -- I am not a coffee or tea drinker. Jeff does drink coffee but only makes it at home. We have a local roaster and that is where he gets his coffee. Both kids drink coffee. Nick mostly drinks the Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino's that you buy at the store. We just recently told him that he needs to either make it at home or buy it on his own because they are so expensive. Elizabeth likes the frozen Coffee at Dunkin and the frozen Frappuccino's at Starbucks. She buys these on her own with gift cards that she seems to rack up somehow.

I love both quotes -- Sunday and Monday.

Elizabeth and I talked Thursday about working out and we were planning on working out every Tuesday and Thursday at the rec. Those are 2 days that she is off so it is easier. Then Friday came. She was out with her friend and slammed her thumb in the car door. The door shut all the way. She called me in a panic and Jeff and I had to go get her. She felt she couldn't drive. I wasn't worried as I did this all the time as a kid. To the point I have a few fingers that are twisted slightly at the top knuckle. I told her she would be fine and we will just ice it when we got home. Well as soon as I got to her I knew I needed to take her in. It was really swollen and bruised under the nail and on the soft side it had a bunch of red dots which was blood under the skin. Thankfully there is a walk in clinic at her ortho that I was able to take her too. I was worried about it being broke as well as the bleeding since she has a clotting disorder (it is not bad and no name for it. Her platelets are just slow to do what they are supposed to do). We did get confirmation that it is broke but they were not concerned about the bleeding. It seemed to have stopped by then But I need to let her Hematologist know. They agreed that we didn't need to do any other interventions. So working out (weight) is off the table for a few weeks. I will still get on the treadmill though, now that I am finally feeling better.

It has been bitter cold here the last few days and today we got some snow. Not much but it came at the worst time, during rush hour. I ended up driving both kids to school. We will drop the car off to Nick at some point today. With Elizabeth only having her license for about a month, her and I both didn't feel comfortable with her driving with crappy roads. They really should have called school off today. Tomorrow, I am guessing they will have a snow day (not really snow but for the cold). They will call school off if the temp is -15 with the wind chill and that is where they are predicting it will be in the morning. Then Thursday it will warm up some and Friday we are supposed to get a snow storm. It doesn't look like lake effect so we should get a snow from this. They are just not giving out what they predict yet. So we will see what happens Friday will school.

Humor and laughing are so important. Every Friday I put together a Friday Funnies email to the greater team with a joke and a picture, it is fun to do but also so appreciated by everyone. I like silly but intelligent humor and so am pretty picky about comedy movies and shows.

One thing that isn't funny is our weather. Temps are slowly raising but now the forecast has freezing rain/snow mix tonight and tomorrow. The good news is it means we are going to be above freezing, the bad news is that the roads are going to get crappy again.

I found this new application called The Conqueror, where you can sign up (for a fee) for different walking challenges where they've mapped out a route and you can get a street view of where you are, virtual post cards are sent and at the end you get a medal, plus of course there's a FB group. I signed up to do London, which is 75 miles. I haven't gotten very much distance in with all the crappy weather, but getting further faster is my primary motivation this week.

Frigid temperatures and ice, ice, ice everywhere…I was hoping for a delay and really stressed about driving tomorrow. 4 wheel drive doesn’t matter on icy roads. Very unexpectedly, our superintendent is giving us another snow day. I am so relieved.

Woohoo... I found another exercise program that I think I will enjoy and that will help me get back on track. Simple exercises and basic meal suggestions, and simple and basic is always a good fit for me. The exercise routine for yesterday was walking in place, but doing it many different ways, so that'll help me get my steps in for my trip thru London.

Woohoo...while housebound over the weekend I started knitting a new-to-me hat pattern that I love and can't wait to get on my head. I'm hoping to get close to done tonight, because tomorrow a knit-along starts for the same pattern. It's being put on by a yarn company so you have to use 50% of their yarn to qualify for any of the prizes, which I'm not using for the current hat. But I've got two colors of their yarn on its way, hopefully it'll show up today so I can get the second hat on the needles with everyone else.

Woohoo... propane was delivered yesterday, so the heating stove is on! It felt
absolutely decadent to have the temp in the house get to 69 yesterday.

Last edited:
I have kind of a mixed WooHoo - WooHoo that my son was not hurt at all in his accident (not WooHoo that he had the accident)

He was headed home last night and flipped his car in a ditch. It was snowing and he hit a patch with packed snow, lost control of his car and ended up in the ditch. Amazingly, he wasn't hurt! I'm sure his car is totaled, but it kept him safe, so I'm ever thankful for that!

I have kind of a mixed WooHoo - WooHoo that my son was not hurt at all in his accident (not WooHoo that he had the accident)

He was headed home last night and flipped his car in a ditch. It was snowing and he hit a patch with packed snow, lost control of his car and ended up in the ditch. Amazingly, he wasn't hurt! I'm sure his car is totaled, but it kept him safe, so I'm ever thankful for that!
Oh no! Glad he is OK.

I found this new application called The Conqueror, where you can sign up (for a fee) for different walking challenges where they've mapped out a route and you can get a street view of where you are, virtual post cards are sent and at the end you get a medal, plus of course there's a FB group. I signed up to do London, which is 75 miles. I haven't gotten very much distance in with all the crappy weather, but getting further faster is my primary motivation this week.
I have looked at this before and thought about doing it but haven't.

Oh No! I am so glad he is ok. This is what scares me the most with new drivers. I ended up driving both to school yesterday because the roads were horrible in the morning.

I am woohoo and not so much woohooing that the kids had a snow day. It is so nice that they are off and didn't have to go out in the -15 with the wind chill this morning. Not so much as woohoo is that they wanted to talk to me all day and I had to get a ton of work do today.

Elizabeth has been checking the snow day predictor and it is showing a 50% of a snow day tomorrow and a 99% for Friday. We are supposed to get some snow tomorrow but we are supposed to get like 3-6 inches on Friday. Then we will be in the 40's next week with rain.

@newski_mom glad to read he is ok!

Woowhoo for oversized sweatshirts, specifically comfys, the DSs and I have been living in them lately.
Woowhoo for flexible work arrangements. Although trying to work at home while the kids are home can be tricky not having to stress (too much) when school is delayed is wonderful. Yesterday was 90 minutes, today was two hours. Also we got the notification for today's delay last night around 10 as opposed to 4 in the morning which was lovely.

I am thankful for a warm home and the opportunity to work from home. I didn't have to go out in the cold weather yesterday except for taking the dog out.

Tomorrow they are now saying my area can get 9+ inches of snow throughout the day. It will start I think at like 3 and just not stop all day. It will start as a general snow from a storm moving in and then turn to lake affect after that. I am betting the kids will be off again tomorrow. I am just hoping that we get the call tonight and not in the morning. My office will close as well. We they just close the building and have everyone work from home. So not a day off. Before the ability to work from home we would get the day off too. Tomorrow is my normal day to work from home so nothing changes for me.

I woke up dreaming of going out to get a nice hot chai latte and blueberry muffin and thought maybe the temps had warmed up enough that the slush on the roads would have melted, but when I looked out the window it was snowing so nope, not today. Now that the heating stove is fully functional I am grateful to be able to snuggle up and stay home. And I'm thankful that I've got widows on two sides of where I have my desk, so I can watch the snow falling and it is so peaceful and pretty.

About six months ago I stopped taking sleep aid supplements because they didn't seem to be working correctly. But my sleep has been so poor lately that last week I started trying them again and I am so thankful that they are working again and I'm getting nice sound sleep.

I am thankful for five mental health days to recover from Friday which was perhaps one of the worst days of the year so far…maybe even the past couple of years.

Snow days are a blessing even if we have to make them up in June.

Standardized testing continued today along with lots of interruptions. It was very frustrating. One of my students had a meltdown which is not surprising since this test is stressful and definitely not developmentally appropriate. After a break, time with her favorite stuffed animal, and watching her friend take the test, she was able to do it too. I just felt awful that I had to administer the test to her at all. Five more kids to go and then I move on to the math standardized testing.

More snow coming tomorrow…maybe an early dismissal.

Thankful for flexibility with where I work and for reliable inlaws who live close.
DS8 was sent home with a low grade fever yesterday so that meant he had to stay home today. My mother in law was able to watch him but couldn't get here until after 930, fortunately I was able to stay with him here until she got here instead of having to bundle him up and bring him to her uber early. I worked while he relaxed then i went to the office after she arrived. It's the simple things.
Ate my weight in sweet potato fries tonight....ugh...I swear I'm part bear. All I want to do before bad weather hits is eat and nap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter