Official 2015 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread.

I'm feeling significantly better today, and I made an appointment with a personal trainer here at work for next week - I need a professional to tell me how to strength train so this back nonsense doesn't happen again!!

Enjoy your chicken and donuts!!

Have you looked into a more CrossFit-style workout?

My husband had terrible lower back problems before he started CrossFit about five year ago.

The core concentration plus Olympic-style weightlifting has helped him immensely.

Also - I promise I didn't eat all of this:
image.jpg

I was looking for the waiver link too. I am really concerned because I goofed up stuff when I registered. ( I got my shirt gender wrong) So I am paranoid I'm going find more issues, like with my proof of time submission. I emailed runDisney about the shirt a couple months ago and they said there was nothing that could be done to change it, I just have to try my luck at the expo.

@Ariel484 - Bummer about both your back and the cancelled SW flight! Glad to hear that you're feeling better, though. :goodvibes

Totally random - I just received confirmation emails for my volunteer shifts at the Expo: Thurs, 9/3 (8 AM - 3 PM) and Fri, 9/4 (10 AM - 4 PM) = 1 day park hopper ticket! Has anybody volunteered at a rD event before?

I volunteered for the kids races at Tink this year! So worth it. :)

Alright waivers, where are you?!

OMG is it that time already???

**VENTING - MORE INFO THAN YOU NEED OR WANT TO KNOW**
It was really good up until Friday - then my husband had some sort of mini-flu thing going on and I somehow threw out my back. :( I have no idea what happened, all I know is that my back started to hurt at some point that afternoon and it just got worse and worse as the day went on, to where I could barely move and was in tears. Then we got to the airport on Saturday and our flight kept getting delayed over and over...after 12 hours in the airport it finally got canceled. We were lucky to find a hotel room near the airport, get a full refund on our original flight and book a new one (with a different airline...not impressed with Southwest after this weekend), and finally got home yesterday afternoon.

My back is still sore but the spasms have mostly stopped, and my husband seems pretty well recovered from whatever bug he had. Mostly I'm bothered by the fact that my back was injured so badly from seemingly doing nothing. It's been this bad twice before: once when I twisted it the wrong way while bowling...YES, BOWLING :rolleyes2...and a second time when I fell down the stairs at home. My husband tells me that a chiropractor he used to see once said that just twisting the wrong way could do a number on a person (which would explain the bowling injury - seriously, who gets injured bowling?), but still...makes me think I need to re-think my strength training program or something, because this was pretty bad.

So needless to say, training is at a halt for me right now.

It's weird because I know that the majority of the trip was really good and relaxing, but because all the **** hit the fan at the end I can't say I have great memories of it right now since the bad stuff is freshest in my mind. Hopefully as time goes on the airport thing will be way funnier to me ("OMG 12 hours in the airport and you were sick and I was hobbling around like a 90-year-old with my constant back spasms - what are the chances?!") and the good memories will outweigh the not-so-good, but I can't say I'm there just yet. :worried:

**OVERSHARE OVER**

On the bright side, I did get a few runs in, including the Castaway Cay 5K on Friday (pre-back injury). That race was pretty miserable (90 degrees and humid, boring course), but the new medallion they have been giving out since January is pretty great. I'll post a picture later. :)

SORRY for the overshare. I just have so many feeeeeeeelings. :upsidedow

Sorry to hear your trip ended on a bad note :sad1:

View attachment 113469

Are you for real??? I've never seen anything like that! Fried chicken just on its own isn't even that common over here...

Ariel484. So sorry to hear everything going on. Sending you healing energy wrapped in a warm blanket of positive energy. I see a chiropractor once a month for my back issues. I also go see him one week before a race to pull me straight. Massage will also help with a RTM. Keep things moving but be careful. Smart idea the to see your trainer.

Have you looked into a more CrossFit-style workout?

My husband had terrible lower back problems before he started CrossFit about five year ago.

The core concentration plus Olympic-style weightlifting has helped him immensely.

View attachment 113469
I have not tried CrossFit. I know some people love it, but the reports of injuries and the cost to join freak me out...my cousin is a coach though, so you could say I have an in. :)

That thing looks amazing and terrible.
Damn rundisney. Why send an email that looks like a waiver email and not have a link to it!
My sentiment exactly. I was scouring the email for a link..nada
I was looking for the waiver link too. I am really concerned because I goofed up stuff when I registered. ( I got my shirt gender wrong) So I am paranoid I'm going find more issues, like with my proof of time submission. I emailed runDisney about the shirt a couple months ago and they said there was nothing that could be done to change it, I just have to try my luck at the expo.
Seriously, what is going on with that?? Also like how in the packet pick-up section of the website it says waivers one month ahead of time, but then in the waivers section it says 2 weeks...
Sorry to hear your trip ended on a bad note :sad1:
Thanks. I'm definitely improving a lot but I'll likely take the rest of the week off to be safe.
Ariel484. So sorry to hear everything going on. Sending you healing energy wrapped in a warm blanket of positive energy. I see a chiropractor once a month for my back issues. I also go see him one week before a race to pull me straight. Massage will also help with a RTM. Keep things moving but be careful. Smart idea the to see your trainer.
Thank you!

So I emailed the trainer and they made an appointment for me, and then canceled a few hours later saying they won't see me until I get cleared from a doctor. I understand it from their point of view, but I was really looking forward to getting started, and I know I don't need to see a doctor to get this injury resolved) I've had this injury before...it goes away with painkillers and rest). I was very disappointed to have that appointment canceled. :sad1: Definitely having some injury/post-cruise weight gain sadness today (thigh obviously the weight part is totally my fault and I know it'll go away since I'm eating normally again).

At any rate, I made an appointment to get a referral for the training program I want to use, but she can't see me for over a month. Of course. :rolleyes2

OK - back home after a long weekend away, so I did a little poking around on the RunDisney site!

I believe we'll be seeing links to waivers, corrals and program posted (and hidden) on the rD site within the next couple of days. The body of the email for the final instructions is already on the site in a hidden link.

I'll keep snooping around to see if I can find anything else!

I have not tried CrossFit. I know some people love it, but the reports of injuries and the cost to join freak me out...my cousin is a coach though, so you could say I have an in. :)

That thing looks amazing and terrible.

Seriously, what is going on with that?? Also like how in the packet pick-up section of the website it says waivers one month ahead of time, but then in the waivers section it says 2 weeks...

Thanks. I'm definitely improving a lot but I'll likely take the rest of the week off to be safe.

Thank you!

So I emailed the trainer and they made an appointment for me, and then canceled a few hours later saying they won't see me until I get cleared from a doctor. I understand it from their point of view, but I was really looking forward to getting started, and I know I don't need to see a doctor to get this injury resolved) I've had this injury before...it goes away with painkillers and rest). I was very disappointed to have that appointment canceled. :sad1: Definitely having some injury/post-cruise weight gain sadness today (thigh obviously the weight part is totally my fault and I know it'll go away since I'm eating normally again).

At any rate, I made an appointment to get a referral for the training program I want to use, but she can't see me for over a month. Of course. :rolleyes2

Totally understand but a real bummer! Their insurance is the thing. Is there a studio that does rehab Stott Pilates near you? I totally trust Stott method. I was taking their training course before my Brain injury. It is a very strict method it really helped my back issues. Got me off chronic pain pills. I was not able to take my final test to get my certificate. Oh well who going to hire a personal trainer that can't count past 4 and can't remember the series of exercise plan lol! Hope it all works out, I know it will!

It was really good up until Friday - then my husband had some sort of mini-flu thing going on and I somehow threw out my back. :( I have no idea what happened, all I know is that my back started to hurt at some point that afternoon and it just got worse and worse as the day went on, to where I could barely move and was in tears. ..not impressed with Southwest after this weekend), and finally got home yesterday afternoon.

So needless to say, training is at a halt for me right now.

@Ariel484.....So sorry to hear that it wasn't fantastic start to finish. No extended TR to keep us entertained for days? !!
Glad that you and Mr. Ariel are on the mend. Sorry about your back.......and previous injury BOWLING?!!! Must be a good story.

Just flew SWA last week and no complaints except we got in late both times. But they were coast to coast nonstop flights and I honestly can't complain.

Welcome to the "training is at a halt" club......I'm the current President.

I'm feeling significantly better today, and I made an appointment with a personal trainer here at work for next week - I need a professional to tell me how to strength train so this back nonsense doesn't happen again!!

Glad you're starting to feel better. My recommendation for strength training would be yoga. Find an instructor who offers power yoga or something more intense than gentle stretching (though the body needs that too). It'll build up your core and your back, two areas that are critical to running long distances without shutting down from exhaustion.

So at Disneyland what time is a good time to head to the corrals (10k & half so 5:30 start)? We're staying at the Grand Californian & was thinking to walk over at 4:15, but maybe that's too early. I read they open the corrals up at 4:30, anyone know if that is right? Are there any photo ops before hand or anything special? thanks!

So at Disneyland what time is a good time to head to the corrals (10k & half so 5:30 start)? We're staying at the Grand Californian & was thinking to walk over at 4:15, but maybe that's too early. I read they open the corrals up at 4:30, anyone know if that is right? Are there any photo ops before hand or anything special? thanks!

I never get to the corrals too early. I like to time it to where I don't have to hang out at the morning party thing though. I would think staying at grand Californian start walking at 4:45 if you are looking to hang out really.

OK - back home after a long weekend away, so I did a little poking around on the RunDisney site!

I believe we'll be seeing links to waivers, corrals and program posted (and hidden) on the rD site within the next couple of days. The body of the email for the final instructions is already on the site in a hidden link.

Snoop away!!

I'm hoping they'll post stuff this week...I would think they'd want to get it up and running before Tinker Bell registration opens 1 week from today. We'll see!

**UPDATE** Feeling much better today. Getting out of the car after driving in to work was the worst, I think just because I tightened up a bit. But I am starting to forget about the back issues a lot, so I'm taking that as a very good sign. Hoping to make it to yoga on Friday right now and then go from there. :)

Totally understand but a real bummer! Their insurance is the thing. Is there a studio that does rehab Stott Pilates near you? I totally trust Stott method. I was taking their training course before my Brain injury. It is a very strict method it really helped my back issues. Got me off chronic pain pills. I was not able to take my final test to get my certificate. Oh well who going to hire a personal trainer that can't count past 4 and can't remember the series of exercise plan lol! Hope it all works out, I know it will!
Thank you for the encouragement! :) I have never tried pilates but I'm pretty sure that there are studios near me, so maybe I'll check them out!!
@Ariel484.....So sorry to hear that it wasn't fantastic start to finish. No extended TR to keep us entertained for days? !!
There will be a report, but it'll mostly be pictures. The beauty of the trip up until the last 2 days was that we didn't actually DO much at all, which was exactly what we needed...but I would imagine that it would be boring for someone else to read about. :)
Glad that you and Mr. Ariel are on the mend. Sorry about your back.......and previous injury BOWLING?!!! Must be a good story.
Mr. Ariel484 is totally fine. :thumbsup2 Once we got home he was WAY better. The bowling thing happened my senior year of college - I was taking bowling class (that was my joke class as a senior where I just needed something to fill up my schedule) and I went to throw the ball and just turned the wrong way, I guess. I ended up having a friend call Mr. Ariel484 (we'd been dating for a little over a year at that point) to come rescue me and he took me to my doctor appointments and whatnot (including my first and only visit to a chiropractor - TERRIFYING). Embarrassing and painful experience. :( And I was a diver in college, and this injury fell in the middle of diving season so I got some grief from it from the swimming coach...not great!
Just flew SWA last week and no complaints except we got in late both times. But they were coast to coast nonstop flights and I honestly can't complain.
Yeah, this is the first bad experience I've had with them. :confused3 But it was so bad that I think I'll take a break for awhile.
Welcome to the "training is at a halt" club......I'm the current President.
Ugghhhhh. Not a club I want to belong to! I hope the club gets dissolved soon. :(
Glad you're starting to feel better. My recommendation for strength training would be yoga. Find an instructor who offers power yoga or something more intense than gentle stretching (though the body needs that too). It'll build up your core and your back, two areas that are critical to running long distances without shutting down from exhaustion.
Thanks John. I have an EXCELLENT yoga studio about 5 minutes from my house...as you and I have discussed it's hard to get to yoga regularly for some reason. I'm definitely going to try to be better about that.

I need to work my way up to power yoga. I don't think I was in good enough shape for that before this stupid injury happened.

I love your tech savvy skills @Keels !!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter