Official 2015 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread.

Ok, i hope thats true...i was just reading an old post on a blog that made me worried
Either way it's all good. I guess we find out soon enough
thx

I can't believe how close we are getting now and I am so behind in my training. Question for all of you. I started serious training pretty late, so I found the Hidgon training plan was shorter (Novice 1). But I'm about half was through it and just noticed that it has me running 10 miles the week before the half. I think Galloway has runners tapering earlier than this. This will be my first half marathon, although I've done several Disney 10ks. Do you think I should adjust this plan?

This is the plan I'm following, but to be honest I'm not doing the cross training. I'm at week 7 right now. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

I'm following the Higdon plan too and was wondering about the 10 miles the weekend before. I've run one other half previously and was having terrible shin splints (turned out to be a fractured shin) the week before the race so I ended up doing the elliptical and zero running for 7 days before the half, meaning my longest run going into it was 9 miles. Other than being in pain from running on a fractured shin I was fine finishing the 13.1 miles so I think you should just do what you feel is best. I personally will probably run a shorter distance the weekend before, I liked someone's suggestion of moving the 10K in the plan to that weekend and may do that...

I'm following the Higdon plan too and was wondering about the 10 miles the weekend before. I've run one other half previously and was having terrible shin splints (turned out to be a fractured shin) the week before the race so I ended up doing the elliptical and zero running for 7 days before the half, meaning my longest run going into it was 9 miles. Other than being in pain from running on a fractured shin I was fine finishing the 13.1 miles so I think you should just do what you feel is best. I personally will probably run a shorter distance the weekend before, I liked someone's suggestion of moving the 10K in the plan to that weekend and may do that...

Yes, I think that is what I'm going to do. I looked at plan and tried different things based on the great advice I received yesterday and I think that's what will work best for me. 6 miles the week before the half and I lightened up the tues/thurs runs to 4 miles for that week, so that it matches up more.

Like I said, this is the most I've ever trained for a race, so I feel pretty ok. Ha. 13 miles is still pretty far though, so I'm not taking it lightly. I think I'm on the right track though.

Thanks again to everyone!

I can't believe how time is flying! Next week we will be just 30 days away. I'm looking forward to finding out corral placement, etc.

For the 10K what Villains are y'all hoping to see?

Last year at Mickey's Halloween party they had:
The Evil Queen
Cruella
Maleficent
Queen of Hearts
Lady Tremaine and the Stepsisters
Hook and Smee
Hades
Frollo
Jafar

Excited to see what surprises we will find as we run through the park as the Villains take over!

I didn't even think about the Villans being out for photos and I just got a little more excited for that weekend. Over by Rivers of America they'll probably have pirates out, they do that at Tink and it'd be another easy way to get more characters on the course.

Ahh, southwest is having a sale for Labor day weekend. We could change our flight (and fly into SNA instead of LAX) and come a night earlier. So tempting...trying to talk DH into it.
I was so excited to see that sale on Tuesday. I rebooked my Thur flight and got enough points back I have another free flight down to DL.

I didn't even think about the Villans being out for photos and I just got a little more excited for that weekend. Over by Rivers of America they'll probably have pirates out, they do that at Tink and it'd be another easy way to get more characters on the course.

I was so excited to see that sale on Tuesday. I rebooked my Thur flight and got enough points back I have another free flight down to DL.

That's awesome! We rebooked for the day earlier and are now flying into SNA! I'm super pumped! Now we have a full day Wednesday to explore LA and beaches!

• Download and complete your personalized race waiver on-line (available approximately one month prior to event). --From rD website....let's go rD. We wanna know approximate corral placement.

• Download and complete your personalized race waiver on-line (available approximately one month prior to event). --From rD website....let's go rD. We wanna know approximate corral placement.
But really though.
Happy to have you back!! I hope your cruise was ah-mazing!!
Aw, thanks! :)

**VENTING - MORE INFO THAN YOU NEED OR WANT TO KNOW**
It was really good up until Friday - then my husband had some sort of mini-flu thing going on and I somehow threw out my back. :( I have no idea what happened, all I know is that my back started to hurt at some point that afternoon and it just got worse and worse as the day went on, to where I could barely move and was in tears. Then we got to the airport on Saturday and our flight kept getting delayed over and over...after 12 hours in the airport it finally got canceled. We were lucky to find a hotel room near the airport, get a full refund on our original flight and book a new one (with a different airline...not impressed with Southwest after this weekend), and finally got home yesterday afternoon.

My back is still sore but the spasms have mostly stopped, and my husband seems pretty well recovered from whatever bug he had. Mostly I'm bothered by the fact that my back was injured so badly from seemingly doing nothing. It's been this bad twice before: once when I twisted it the wrong way while bowling...YES, BOWLING :rolleyes2...and a second time when I fell down the stairs at home. My husband tells me that a chiropractor he used to see once said that just twisting the wrong way could do a number on a person (which would explain the bowling injury - seriously, who gets injured bowling?), but still...makes me think I need to re-think my strength training program or something, because this was pretty bad.

So needless to say, training is at a halt for me right now.

It's weird because I know that the majority of the trip was really good and relaxing, but because all the **** hit the fan at the end I can't say I have great memories of it right now since the bad stuff is freshest in my mind. Hopefully as time goes on the airport thing will be way funnier to me ("OMG 12 hours in the airport and you were sick and I was hobbling around like a 90-year-old with my constant back spasms - what are the chances?!") and the good memories will outweigh the not-so-good, but I can't say I'm there just yet. :worried:

**OVERSHARE OVER**

On the bright side, I did get a few runs in, including the Castaway Cay 5K on Friday (pre-back injury). That race was pretty miserable (90 degrees and humid, boring course), but the new medallion they have been giving out since January is pretty great. I'll post a picture later. :)

SORRY for the overshare. I just have so many feeeeeeeelings. :upsidedow

@Ariel484 Sorry you had a bad ending to your vacay. :( I've been a huge fan of Southwest since they finally came to our airport a little over a year ago. I hope I don't have any problems with our CA trip coming up.

I did something similar to my back in yoga earlier this summer. I was down for about a week. The heating pad was my friend. Sending you healing vibes! At least you've conquered some longer runs already and you know you can complete the distance, so hopefully you will be good to go for the races.

@Ariel484 Sorry you had a bad ending to your vacay. :( I've been a huge fan of Southwest since they finally came to our airport a little over a year ago. I hope I don't have any problems with our CA trip coming up.

I did something similar to my back in yoga earlier this summer. I was down for about a week. The heating pad was my friend. Sending you healing vibes! At least you've conquered some longer runs already and you know you can complete the distance, so hopefully you will be good to go for the races.
I have been a big fan of Southwest too, but I've definitely soured on them after this weekend. Our outgoing flight had issues too (delays + multiple gate changes), but after the cancellation they just did not seem to car to help people. It was pretty surprising since I've thought their customer service was so good in the past...plus they don't fly direct to Orlando from my home airport, so that's always been a slight issue for me.

Thanks for the healing vibes. A hot shower + sleeping in my own bed seems to have done wonders for me. And great point about knowing I can complete the distance already...that has been very helpful to me so far. :)

I have been a big fan of Southwest too, but I've definitely soured on them after this weekend. Our outgoing flight had issues too (delays + multiple gate changes), but after the cancellation they just did not seem to car to help people. It was pretty surprising since I've thought their customer service was so good in the past...plus they don't fly direct to Orlando from my home airport, so that's always been a slight issue for me.

Thanks for the healing vibes. A hot shower + sleeping in my own bed seems to have done wonders for me. And great point about knowing I can complete the distance already...that has been very helpful to me so far. :)

I'm really sorry to hear that, @Ariel484 - but, honestly, I can't say I'm surprised. I don't fly SW unless the cost savings are extremely significant because the free bags are just not worth it to me anymore. Onboard staff and customer service is always great, but it's seriously canceled out by the terrible in-terminal and call center staff they have.

And I say this as a person who puts up with the disaster that is American Airlines voluntarily!

But I'm happy to hear you're feeling better today!

Leaving Austin after a long weekend at the beach with friends. And I'm eating fried chicken on top of a donut covered in honey butter. The gym is going to be miserable tomorrow ...

I'm really sorry to hear that, @Ariel484 - but, honestly, I can't say I'm surprised. I don't fly SW unless the cost savings are extremely significant because the free bags are just not worth it to me anymore. Onboard staff and customer service is always great, but it's seriously canceled out by the terrible in-terminal and call center staff they have.

And I say this as a person who puts up with the disaster that is American Airlines voluntarily!

But I'm happy to hear you're feeling better today!

Leaving Austin after a long weekend at the beach with friends. And I'm eating fried chicken on top of a donut covered in honey butter. The gym is going to be miserable tomorrow ...
Truly, I thought Southwest had such good customer service. But they weren't very helpful in the terminal or over the phone on Saturday (which totally matches what you said). We ended up switching our booking to United and they were surprisingly great - really easy to work with over the phone and pulled our bags off of the carousel for us after we switched flights. They had them re-tagged and waiting for us the next morning. It's seriously enough for me to cancel our SW card...of course I did get all of those SW points back so now I need to figure out how to use those up.

I'm feeling significantly better today, and I made an appointment with a personal trainer here at work for next week - I need a professional to tell me how to strength train so this back nonsense doesn't happen again!!

Enjoy your chicken and donuts!!

@Ariel484 - Bummer about both your back and the cancelled SW flight! Glad to hear that you're feeling better, though. :goodvibes

Totally random - I just received confirmation emails for my volunteer shifts at the Expo: Thurs, 9/3 (8 AM - 3 PM) and Fri, 9/4 (10 AM - 4 PM) = 1 day park hopper ticket! Has anybody volunteered at a rD event before?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter