News Round Up 2016

They are. There is also a matching plate (set?) that has an incorrect Walt quote on it.
I know the plates were seen at the resorts. I'm going to POFQ tonight - I'll keep an eye out for them

This may sound ridiculous, but if you end up finding a plate and cup that has a misquote on it, could you pick one up for me? I'll be down in Orlando in mid Feb. I have this weird thing with collecting things with errors on them.

News

Here it is folks the SpiderMan Homecoming trailer

I have never been a huge Spider-Man guy but I do like the looks of this movie.

Even more interesting that we still don't know who Donald Glover is playing. It's nice when a studio can actually keep a secret.

This may sound ridiculous, but if you end up finding a plate and cup that has a misquote on it, could you pick one up for me? I'll be down in Orlando in mid Feb. I have this weird thing with collecting things with errors on them.

I will keep an eye out :) Didn't get one last night, but here is the photo that was originally shared (If you can dream it is not a Walt quote, as much as the world wants it to be). As well as a new box from Disneyland that was posted recently from the same new line

Attachments

• platequote1.PNG
    platequote1.PNG
    900.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_20161209-083425.png
    Screenshot_20161209-083425.png
    581.5 KB · Views: 88

I could be wrong on this but I just saw this tweet, and as far as I'm aware WDW was stiil using the generic Disney Parks cups. I know DL switched over to DL specific cups, but I didn't know WDW did. Could someone tell me if this is new, or it is old news and I have just missed it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mousesteps/status/806919108671508481
They've been using these since early November. If I'm remembering correctly, the halloween cups were also park branded
They are. There is also a matching plate (set?) that has an incorrect Walt quote on it.
I know the plates were seen at the resorts. I'm going to POFQ tonight - I'll keep an eye out for them

Got in touch with my friends over in F&B, and here's the low down, Christmas/Halloween cups are only to be used in parks from now on, no longer resorts. The new "Walt" Qoute cups are the new every day cups that are replacing the yellow/red park cups we've seen for the last few years. Those cups will always be used in the resorts and also in the parks when themed cups aren't in season. Reason why the cups for the resorts aren't changing is because of the RFID chips on the bottom, now Disney only has to source one manufacture for those, and they don't have to keep changing designs.

One of Disney’s most popular brands has investors really worried - Washington Post

For the second year in a row, Disney is poised to have another "Star Wars" megahit on its hands with the company on track to sell $130 million in U.S. pre-release tickets for next week's "Rogue One."

But no matter how well it performs at the box office, the film's success may be overshadowed by Disney investors' rising alarm about another part of the Magic Kingdom: ESPN, which is shedding viewers in record numbers.

ESPN was thrust into the spotlight in November when the ratings company Nielsen predicted the sports juggernaut would lose 621,000 cable subscribers that month. Nielsen estimated the sports network would lose another 555,000 subscribers in December.

The staggering losses have led to calls by analysts for Disney to spin off or sell the beleaguered network, which has lost 9 million subscribers in three years, according to company filings.

The challenges ahead are not unique to ESPN. The pay-TV industry as a whole has seen many consumers trim back their cable subscriptions in favor of online video services — or, fed up with the rising cost of TV, forgo cable altogether.

"There's an underlying theme of the bundle being the problem," said Gene Kimmelman, president of the consumer advocacy group Public Knowledge. "People don't want to pay for what they don't want to get."

But ESPN remains one of the world's most profitable sports networks, and its struggles raise troubling questions about the entire TV ecosystem. Long considered the linchpin of the traditional bundle, live sports is often what compels viewers to stay with their cable provider rather than cut the cord. But as more consumers defect in the face of growing cable bills, what is happening at ESPN could end up affecting channels up and down the lineup. And for Disney, one of the world's most powerful media companies, the problems at ESPN risk dampening the success of its other brands, such as Star Wars, Marvel Studios and Pixar.

"Most of the Disney empire is healthy, but its stock price has been suffering to the downside because we have weak subscriber growth at ESPN," said Laura Martin, a media analyst at Needham and Co. "So that weak subscriber growth is a shadow over the whole empire."

ESPN and its siblings, such as ABC, account for the biggest chunk of Disney's business by far, pulling in $24 billion in revenue this fiscal year. The company's next biggest segment, theme parks, made $17 billion.

It wasn't that long ago that observers were calling ESPN "the most valuable media property in the United States," estimating its value at 20 times that of the New York Times Co. and five times the size of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

Since hitting a high of nearly $122 in the summer of 2015, the stock has dropped about 14 percent; that includes a 5 percent rally this week.

Although ESPN disputed Nielsen's methodology, the ratings firm ultimately stood by its numbers.

A spokesman for ESPN referred questions to the network's parent company. Disney did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Last month, in an interview with CNBC, Disney chief executive Bob Iger said he remains confident in ESPN. "We think the long-term revenues are going to be just fine," he said.

ESPN is hardly the only programming company facing long-term pressure as consumers increasingly opt for Internet-based video streaming that undercuts the legacy cable bundle. TV providers such as Dish Network and AT&T have raced to offer packages of traditional channels as Internet-based apps; the outlook for those efforts is still uncertain, but some analysts say ESPN faces a steeper challenge than most because of the rapidly rising cost to the network of acquiring sports broadcasting rights.

"Let's face it - sports has changed," said Jim Hill, a longtime Disney analyst. "It's gotten so expensive ... it's a scary time all around the barn right now for sports, and that's another thing that Disney's eyeballing."

The rights to broadcast live sports cost cable companies a collective $16 billion last year, according to a report from PricewaterhouseCoopers — up 50 percent from 2011. That figure is expected to grow another 30 percent by 2020.

Between the rising content costs and the defection of consumers, some analysts have proposed that Disney spin off its ESPN unit. This week, Steve Cahall, a media analyst at RBC Capital Markets, said the move would allow investors to gain a better understanding of Disney's fundamental profitability. He added it could earn Disney some cash to invest in its remaining businesses, or make Disney an attractive purchase to other companies. Earlier this fall, Liberty Media chairman and longtime media-industry titan John Malone also said that Disney could explore a sale of ESPN.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/12/07/one-of-disneys-most-popular-brands-has-investors-really-worried/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_disney-825pm-2:homepage/story&utm_term=.4059b35cee1e

I really find this whole ESPN thing fascinating from a number of angles - and really interested to see what Disney does. Either they need to figure out a way to make it more profitable - or just pull back on expenses a lot and realize it will be a less profitable (but still somewhat) for the company - or sell it

To make it more profitable you need to fit it into the new way people want to have their entertainment - which is paying for it ala cart ... but why pay for ESPN in this day and age? Sportcenter is useless when you have twitter and everything else out there getting you the news faster and for free. The only thing with sports people are really willing to pay for is live events - so unless they are going to pay for exclusive NFL, College Football, or maybe the NBA I just don't see what people would pay for (Baseball is too regional and all the regional networks are already around)

Might be best to do what a lot of companies are doing now with divesting non-core assets and use the proceeds to reinvest in what you do best ... which for Disney is entertainment

I really find this whole ESPN thing fascinating from a number of angles - and really interested to see what Disney does. Either they need to figure out a way to make it more profitable - or just pull back on expenses a lot and realize it will be a less profitable (but still somewhat) for the company - or sell it

To make it more profitable you need to fit it into the new way people want to have their entertainment - which is paying for it ala cart ... but why pay for ESPN in this day and age? Sportcenter is useless when you have twitter and everything else out there getting you the news faster and for free. The only thing with sports people are really willing to pay for is live events - so unless they are going to pay for exclusive NFL, College Football, or maybe the NBA I just don't see what people would pay for (Baseball is too regional and all the regional networks are already around)

Might be best to do what a lot of companies are doing now with divesting non-core assets and use the proceeds to reinvest in what you do best ... which for Disney is entertainment
Baseball is very regional but MLB has MLB.tv which is quite successful and run by BAMtech a company that Disney has part ownership in and has an option to become majority owner.

This ESPN thing is fascinating. I love college sports, the NFL, and baseball. I would watch ESPN for those three things. I can't stand the NBA so you won't catch me watching that on there.

Baseball is very regional but a lot of people don't live near their team's home market. I live in the Chicago area now but I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan, so the games they show here are either Cubs, White Sox, or whatever ESPN has on which is sometimes the Cardinals. So for those Boston fans who moved to the west coast or those LA/SF fans who live elsewhere, it's a great alternative for cord cutters. I personally can't afford it but many people can.

Baseball is very regional but MLB has MLB.tv which is quite successful and run by BAMtech a company that Disney has part ownership in and has an option to become majority owner.

This ESPN thing is fascinating. I love college sports, the NFL, and baseball. I would watch ESPN for those three things. I can't stand the NBA so you won't catch me watching that on there.

It feels like for most NFL fans what is on the regular channels covers most things and if you are out of market you get the NFL ticket- is Monday Night football alone enough to get you to pay for ESPN?

College sports is something they have a lot of but at the same time the leagues are having their own channels (Big 10 network etc)

I think BAMtech is huge but content is the key - what content can they have that would get you to pay, say, $9.99 a month for, that you can't get via other means currently?

It feels like for most NFL fans what is on the regular channels covers most things and if you are out of market you get the NFL ticket- is Monday Night football alone enough to get you to pay for ESPN?

College sports is something they have a lot of but at the same time the leagues are having their own channels (Big 10 network etc)

I think BAMtech is huge but content is the key - what content can they have that would get you to pay, say, $9.99 a month for, that you can't get via other means currently?
No Monday night football alone wouldn't be enough. College sports and baseball and Monday night football would be though.

Yes all the big conferences have their own networks but SEC network is run by ESPN. Big 10 is run by fox. I have BTN2GO which is their on the go app to watch games. However you need to login with a cable provider much like WatchESPN.

If they bought BAMtech outright and expanded it for ESPN I would pay for a service that I could watch college sports, MLB, and Monday night football.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter