Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Summer 2017 (replaces ToT)

Walt is dead now and no one here knew the man and what his decisions would be. It's totally possible he would have approved this if he were still alive.

I might get a lot of slack for this, but I'll say it anyway... but Disney does not owe us anything. They are a company that chooses to do what they want to do, and the fact is that we have to live with it. They will raise ticket prices if they want to. They will add new attractions wherever they want to add them. They will get rid of whatever they want to. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to go.

They will announce things that will excite some of us, and make others sad... and vice versa. This is never going to stop.

It's really up to you if you want to keep visiting the park, but I wouldn't expect every announcement to please you.

No, Disney doesn't owe us anything. But that doesn't mean anyone has to sit back and be silent about it either. People complained a LOT when Photopass+ was taken away last fall and made into this 1 day $39 thing. Now, months later, we have a One Week option back that's the same price as the previous photopass used to be. Aladdin was supposed to close years ago, but people made their voices heard and Anaheim chose to keep Aladdin around for another 5+ years. Sure, Aladdin eventually went away for Frozen, but people making their voices heard got them another 5+ years of a show they loved. Anaheim has a history of listening to its patrons, precisely because locals make up so much of the attendance.

Even at WDW, New Fantasyland was completely redesigned - AFTER it was officially announced and concept art released - after critiques that it was too princess heavy. Until actual work has begun, nothing is truly set in stone...even after announcements are made. No harm in people sharing their thoughts, IMO.

As Joe Rhode said in the video, this is the first in a lineup of all new Marvel attractions. Either Hollywoodland or the It's a Bugs Life area (hopefully both) is probably next on the chopping block to make way for whatever else they have planned which will fit the theme of the renovated ToT.

He also stated there will be other random effects in the video such as the music, lighting and possibly other things they're choosing not to reveal.

From the picture of the queue concept art, it hopefully looks like there will be animatronics similar to the new Kong ride in Islands of Adventure. It would be pretty cool if they choose to do that.
Not bugs I believe there are other plans for that.

???? Well that would be dumb. Why get rid of the cool part and stick with the one ride that's as insignificant as GOTG will be in 10 years? Do you know how many days we've spent at DL in the last few years and only been on the Cartoon Spin once?!?! That ride doesn't appeal to anyone under 25, and those of us over 25 get to sick to ride it anyway. Not to mention it breaks down every half hour.

You really need to stop with the broad assumptions. First off, last I checked you're not Miss Cleo, so you have about as much as an idea as the rest of us how popular GotG will be in 10 years. What I can say that is fact is that we have a sequel coming next year, and will have a major role in Avengers: Infinity Wars.

As for Roger Rabbit, I've seen it down once, maybe twice in our last few trips, and my wife and I, who are well over 25 have never gotten sick on that ride. Please stop speaking as you are speaking for everyone.

As for keeping the ride and adding Frozen. Disneyland needs ride capacity and keeping the ride helps that. The Frozen ride is supposed to be the same one Tokyo is getting.

Roger Rabbit isn't a favorite ride of mine, but that's mostly because the spinning makes it difficult to enjoy the dark ride. I imagine others love the spinning. But I completely understand why they would keep this ride if they really do tear down Toon Town. :headache: It's a pretty popular ride with decently long waits and it's very close to IASW. They could keep it and tear down the rest of Toon Town :headache: and it wouldn't be too out of place. That being said, I think they need a designated place to meet Mickey and Minnie. Though I think Mice Chat suggested they could make a mini Toon Town keeping Roger Rabbit and a M&G area. I hate to see Gadget's coaster torn down though. It's sad to think that people would have to take their kids to Six Flags just so they could get on a coaster before they're 40" tall (Magic Mountain has 4 coasters for little tykes).

Not bugs I believe there are other plans for that.

Now if they built a cool kid friendly coaster here (in the style of the Slinky Dog coaster), then I wouldn't mind so much if they tore down Gadget's.

No, Disney doesn't owe us anything. But that doesn't mean anyone has to sit back and be silent about it either. People complained a LOT when Photopass+ was taken away last fall and made into this 1 day $39 thing. Now, months later, we have a One Week option back that's the same price as the previous photopass used to be. Aladdin was supposed to close years ago, but people made their voices heard and Anaheim chose to keep Aladdin around for another 5+ years. Sure, Aladdin eventually went away for Frozen, but people making their voices heard got them another 5+ years of a show they loved. Anaheim has a history of listening to its patrons, precisely because locals make up so much of the attendance.

Even at WDW, New Fantasyland was completely redesigned - AFTER it was officially announced and concept art released - after critiques that it was too princess heavy. Until actual work has begun, nothing is truly set in stone...even after announcements are made. No harm in people sharing their thoughts, IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. What I don't agree with is the false accusations and borderline death threats to Joe Rhode and The Walt Disney Company in other threads and people acting like their life is ending because Disney is choosing to re-theme an attraction. We are better than that. It's very possible that there is another reason they have done this rather than a "cash grab." Disney does not own the rights to The Twilight Zone... Maybe they don't want to pay whatever royalties they have to anymore? Why should they if they would rather invest that money into the park? Maybe they honestly thought that this is going to be popular? Guardians of the Galaxy was one of the highest grossing movies to come out the year it did.

Me, you, or the Disboards wouldn't be here if we didn't want to make our voices heard and wanted to post our opinions, but this is on a whole other level.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... The Twilight Zone isn't even associated with Disney besides ToT. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
You really need to stop with the broad assumptions. First off, last I checked you're not Miss Cleo, so you have about as much as an idea as the rest of us how popular GotG will be in 10 years. What I can say that is fact is that we have a sequel coming next year, and will have a major role in Avengers: Infinity Wars.

As for Roger Rabbit, I've seen it down once, maybe twice in our last few trips, and my wife and I, who are well over 25 have never gotten sick on that ride. Please stop speaking as you are speaking for everyone.

There are those who are bold enough to state their opinions, and there are those who simply wait to blast others for having them.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. What I don't agree with is the false accusations and borderline death threats to Joe Rhode and The Walt Disney Company in other threads and people acting like their life is ending because Disney is choosing to re-theme an attraction. We are better than that. It's very possible that there is another reason they have done this rather than a "cash grab." Disney does not own the rights to The Twilight Zone... Maybe they don't want to pay whatever royalties they have to anymore? Why should they if they would rather invest that money into the park? Maybe they honestly thought that this is going to be popular? Guardians of the Galaxy was one of the highest grossing movies to come out the year it did.

Me, you, or the Disboards wouldn't be here if we didn't want to make our voices heard and wanted to post our opinions, but this is on a whole other level.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... The Twilight Zone isn't even associated with Disney. Am I wrong?

AFAIK, you are correct. Twilight Zone has no association with Disney that I know of other than the rides.

I've never been on ToT, and I doubt I will ride the new version either, so I don't have strong feelings about this. However, the overlay of ToT into a GotG ride does make some sense from a business point of view, no matter how we may feel about it personally.

Marvel (and Star Wars) coming to Disneyland was inevitable, no matter how we may feel about it. They are just too popular to ignore, so they were going to find someway to shove it in to the theme parks. GotG was a popular movie, but they know it is not a elite Marvel property (e.g. Spiderman/Iron Man/Avengers). A new ride overlay is a faster/cheaper way to introduce Marvel to DLR as compared to a brand new ride, but we know this is just the first of several Marvel attractions. They probably didn't want to "waste" their premium properties on an overlay and might instead prefer to save their top tier stuff for new rides, especially because they can't use them at WDW. In WDW, GotG is getting it's own brand new ride (supposedly) because it's the "best" Marvel franchise available to them there. But, I would assume that at DLR, the new attractions will go to Spiderman and the Avengers.

Why choose ToT? Maybe licensing costs are part of it. Also, for non-Disneyland enthusiasts, I don't think most people would associate Twilight Zone with Disney. I suspect the Twilight Zone franchise is not a strong draw for people who have never been on the ToT ride, especially for anyone under the age of 35 or so (there are always exceptions of course, but just speaking broadly).

Marvel (and Star Wars) coming to Disneyland was inevitable, no matter how we may feel about it. They are just too popular to ignore, so they were going to find someway to shove it in to the theme parks. GotG was a popular movie, but they know it is not a elite Marvel property (e.g. Spiderman/Iron Man/Avengers). A new ride overlay is a faster/cheaper way to introduce Marvel to DLR as compared to a brand new ride, but we know this is just the first of several Marvel attractions. They probably didn't want to "waste" their premium properties on an overlay and might instead prefer to save their top tier stuff for new rides, especially because they can't use them at WDW. In WDW, GotG is getting it's own brand new ride (supposedly) because it's the "best" Marvel franchise available to them there. But, I would assume that at DLR, the new attractions will go to Spiderman and the Avengers.

This is the first argument FOR putting in GOTG that I can agree with. If they're going to do MarvelLand no matter what, and if GOTG is going to be a part of it to make hay on the movies, make it the overlay ride and NOT use the really "elite" properties for this, as you put it. Those (Avengers) deserve the better attractions. Still, I HATE that we're losing Twilight Zone - something that has stood the test of time. Not to mention, it gave the ride a spooky and very scary element...that a GOTG version simply will not have. True, it's not Disney...but neither are grizzly bears, hand gliders, or wooden (in appearance) rollercoasters. I always thought of DCA (like the MGM/Hollywood Studios in Orlando) as the not-so-Disney Disney park.

There are those who are bold enough to state their opinions, and there are those who simply wait to blast others for having them.

There is stating your opinion, and making blanket statements like you are speaking for everyone. You speak for yourself, not for me or anyone else. Others may agree with you which is fine, but you most definitely don't speak for me and that's what your comments are doing.

This is the first argument FOR putting in GOTG that I can agree with. If they're going to do MarvelLand no matter what, and if GOTG is going to be a part of it to make hay on the movies, make it the overlay ride and NOT use the really "elite" properties for this, as you put it. Those (Avengers) deserve the better attractions. Still, I HATE that we're losing Twilight Zone - something that has stood the test of time. Not to mention, it gave the ride a spooky and very scary element...that a GOTG version simply will not have. True, it's not Disney...but neither are grizzly bears, hand gliders, or wooden (in appearance) rollercoasters. I always thought of DCA (like the MGM/Hollywood Studios in Orlando) as the not-so-Disney Disney park.

Sure, it's tough when they take out a ride that people love, so I definitely see that perspective. I recall somewhere on the forums they were doing that "Best of the World" and ToT either won or was very close to the top. At least the ToT at Disneyworld is staying, which is apparently the superior version anyway. When Avengers is at DLR and ToT is only at WDW, gives you an excuse to go to both :D .

When Avengers is at DLR and ToT is only at WDW, gives you an excuse to go to both :D .

An excuse? I don't need an excuse to go to WDW. What I need is the finances to get there from here! But knowing the Twilight Zone is waiting will help my penny pinching brain write the check. Maybe in a few years....

And yes, TOT is definitely better over there.

They still got rid of Aladdin and replaced it with Frozen. I prefer Aladdin.

I like the fact that TOT had a creepy story. What's the GotG ride's story?

Rocket the Racoon is breaking the other guardians out of their exhibit "cages" and the guests (riders) are going to help with the plan. It's supposed to be action comedy rather than sci-fi spooky.

Rocket the Racoon is breaking the other guardians out of their exhibit "cages" and the guests (riders) are going to help with the plan. It's supposed to be action comedy rather than sci-fi spooky.

:thanks:
Sounds less spooky than TOT.

Will the GotG ride be like a drop elevator ride?

The ride mechanism isn't changing. The décor and the preshow plus ride animations are changing. They're adding a soundtrack and the random drop sequence. Someone posted the link to the video interview in this thread that talks about what it will be like.

I can think of a ton of ways this would work better if it was Avengers themed. Remember the part when hulk is rampaging the downtown and ironman has to save people on a falling elevator and then they get jerked all around...hello it would be perfect. Why didnt they hire me as a consultant-oh yeah they dont care what I think :scratchin

I can think of a ton of ways this would work better if it was Avengers themed. Remember the part when hulk is rampaging the downtown and ironman has to save people on a falling elevator and then they get jerked all around...hello it would be perfect. Why didnt they hire me as a consultant-oh yeah they dont care what I think :scratchin

There's a good idea. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter