Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Summer 2017 (replaces ToT)

That theme is gone and has been for a while though...it never really worked. They call it Hollywood land, but it's been Marvel, Monsters Inc and Mad Tea Party in reality.

But I'm not just talking about that part of the park. I'm also talking about Buena Vista street, the entire entrance to the park. Mickey and Minnie appear in old Hollywood type costumes.

But I'm not just talking about that part of the park. I'm also talking about Buena Vista street, the entire entrance to the park. Mickey and Minnie appear in old Hollywood type costumes.
I have always considered Hollywood land and Buena Vista Street as two separate areas.

Thanks for sharing your video and your perspective. I know Disney will always follow the money. If having a Guardians of the Galaxy/Marvel area brings in more money, they are going to do that.

I'm very nostalgic. I'll always miss the original ride. I still miss the PeopleMover, Journey through Inner Space, Country Bear Jamboree, the original Pirate's of the Carribbean, etc. I don't know if they never get rid of rides that I don't like, or they get rid of them and I don't notice because I didn't like it anyway.

I can't believe this is what it looked like previously before the renovation...
dcapreview_map112600tm.jpg

The park hasn't looked like that in years. They added the TOT back in 2004, it wasn't part of the money they spent to retheme the park. Bugsland was also added in 2002. Not much money was really spent on the Hollywood Backlot area for the retheme. They did remove some old design elements. They could keep the first Hollywood street and retheme the other area to Marvel. It wouldn't be a huge loss of newer investment. People were suggesting the Trolley could be rerouted along with the parade route.

That theme is gone and has been for a while though...it never really worked. They call it Hollywood land, but it's been Marvel, Monsters Inc and Mad Tea Party in reality.

They recently spent quite a bit of money extending/increasing the Hollywood theme. :confused3 Changed the entrance, added Carthay circle and really changed that area that flowed back to the Hyperion and ToT.

Mad T, Monsters is a side area off of that but were part of the "movies/shows" part while having separation from the old Hollywood section. And not certain where the Marvel additions are that you reference as having taken over in the Hollywood section prior to this. :confused:

But if you don't see that "land" then your perception of how this change fits is definitely going to be different.

I don't. I look at that whole area of the park as the "Hollywood" area.

That's funny. I always thought it was just part of the same area. Since they swiped the Hollywood entrance style from Disney's Hollywood Studios at WDW, and then had that Hollywood vibe/feel all the way to the back lot where TZ-TOT and Monsters are, I just thought they were one land. Shows how much I look at the detail on a map.

That's funny. I always thought it was just part of the same area. Since they swiped the Hollywood entrance style from Disney's Hollywood Studios at WDW, and then had that Hollywood vibe/feel all the way to the back lot where TZ-TOT and Monsters are, I just thought they were one land. Shows how much I look at the detail on a map.

I think Disney has been going too small with its lands recently. I think most of the expansions in the works have lately are 2 rides and some shops. I liked that Paradise Pier is so much more than that. And I considered the Hollywood area of the park to be a lot more than that as well.

Technically the front of the park is Buena Vista street and the area to the left is Hollywood Land. That incorporates the old Muppet theater, Monster's Inc., the dance party areas, the Hyperion, and the Tower of Terror. I guess we'll have to wait and see if/when/how they change Hollywood Land and incorporate Marvel. As far as where Marvel is now in Hollywood Land, it's in the back where the old Monster's Inc. M&G was. They redressed the city backdrop a bit and added Marvel touches. Spider Man and Captain America meet there.

The point of Buena Vista Street was to make it look like California did during Walt's early years. I can see how it might get confused with Hollywood but it wasn't meant to be. Just like Main Street was meant to look like turn of the century America. I do hope they do something with Hollywood Land as most of that area is full of nothing. However, the Monster's Inc ride is there and I sure would hate to see that go. It is one of the most detailed rides in the whole resort. I always wanted to just walk through it and read everything posted on the walls. I've been wishing for something more over there for a long time.

To homerofwar: A Marvel Musical? Oh, that's bad. That's very bad. Will Thor be singing old viking opera tunes? I just don't see how the Hyperion fits into Marvel Land.

The only thing that's good about the change, and I mean the ONLY thing, is the random ride sequence that Joe R talked about. But they could've introduced that to the TZ version. In fact, at WDW back in 2004 or something like that, WDW switched from a 4-option ride on TOT to the randomizer. They had a cool marketing campaign that said "Never the same fear twice". I always wondered why DL never did this. It would've injected some life into the ride.

BUT, they went nuts and dumped the whole idea. Farewell "13 minute standby line" sign.

Last edited:
Even though I am a Disney share holder, I despise this change. November probably will be our last trip. I can imagine Walt and Lillian vomiting over these changes.
Been going since opening day in 1955, felt it was our place, now it goes to just another them park. DISGUSTING

Even though I am a Disney share holder, I despise this change. November probably will be our last trip. I can imagine Walt and Lillian vomiting over these changes.
Been going since opening day in 1955, felt it was our place, now it goes to just another them park. DISGUSTING

In the words of Walt "if nothing ever changed there'd be no butterflies". As a Disney share holder you should be ecstatic that these changes over the years have put some coin in your wallet.

In the words of Walt "if nothing ever changed there'd be no butterflies". As a Disney share holder you should be ecstatic that these changes over the years have put some coin in your wallet.
I know what he said spent a lot of time with him and lil until he passed. Now is has nothing to do with his thoughts or dreams it is marvel, Pixar land avengers land. Continues I will dump the stock and find a retirement home full of Disney art. Just my opinion

I was shocked to hear my 12 year old son, who is generally a Marvel fan (who also loves ToT), say that he doesn't want to ride it after the theme change. :guilty:

I know what he said spent a lot of time with him and lil until he passed. Now is has nothing to do with his thoughts or dreams it is marvel, Pixar land avengers land. Continues I will dump the stock and find a retirement home full of Disney art. Just my opinion

...but at what point did you decide that it's gone way too far? Did you have the same feelings when Big Thunder replaced the mine train? Or when they replaced The Peoplemover with Rocket Rods? Disneyland looks much more different than it did when Walt was alive.

It is "Disney"land after all.

I see WHY the change was made, but it doesn't seem necessary. ToT is super popular and still sees lots of traffic. This isn't a ride with declining ridership that needed a reboot, it feels like a cash grab. I enjoyed Guardians, so I'll have to actually experience the ride before I make my final decision, but I'll definitely miss ToT and it's spectacular theming.

I love, love, love Walt Disney, tbh, but I can see why the company has to maintain a balance between the original ideas of Walt's and also incorporate their new properties as well. I'm just really bummed because I also love, love, love The Twilight Zone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter