Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Summer 2017 (replaces ToT)

I see WHY the change was made, but it doesn't seem necessary. ToT is super popular and still sees lots of traffic. This isn't a ride with declining ridership that needed a reboot, it feels like a cash grab. I enjoyed Guardians, so I'll have to actually experience the ride before I make my final decision, but I'll definitely miss ToT and it's spectacular theming.

This exactly. I'm sure there's a handful of people who don't agree with us, but this does seem like Disney running for the money. Pull in some comic book fans by putting Rocket Raccoon in a ride. A ride that sees 45 minute waits all day long. So they put on a "seat cover" to shove another couple thousand people a day into a very small park. Instead of increasing capacity in the park, they're essentially decreasing - by the numbers. But it's a profit game. I get it.

I'm still for a third gate - a WestCot if you will. One with a World Showcase like they have in Orlando, but instead of Future World, they have Marvel World. That's a park worth opening.

I love "The Twilight Zone" show. It originally aired before my time, but I did catch it in syndication/re-runs. Always try and catch a few episodes in what seems like yearly marathons. Also watched the newer "The Twilight Zone" (the first revival) in the '80s. Enjoyed those as well.

The theming of the Tower of Terror is just top notch. One of my favorite rides.

All that being said, I do not get the disgust and hate of it being changed. Those that say it isn't something Walt would have done; it is not like Walt had anything to do with the ToT. It is a fairly recent addition itself (especially for DCA - opening 2004). One argument against the change that I've seen multiple times is that people are upset that Disney is replacing it with something they didn't create (new IP) but purchased (Marvel). But its not like Disney created the "The Twilight Zone" and it is not even a IP that Disney owns.

While I would rather the Tower of Terror stay the way it is, I can understand why the change. I will give the new theme a chance before poo-pooing it. I did enjoy "The Guardians of the Galaxy" movie. When I first heard the rumor of the change, I was very skeptical and didn't see how it would work. After reading the press release and what the have planned, I'm still skeptical, but I can see what they are trying to do, and will give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it won't disappoint (other than not being the ToT anymore, of course).

They recently spent quite a bit of money extending/increasing the Hollywood theme. :confused3 Changed the entrance, added Carthay circle and really changed that area that flowed back to the Hyperion and ToT.

Mad T, Monsters is a side area off of that but were part of the "movies/shows" part while having separation from the old Hollywood section. And not certain where the Marvel additions are that you reference as having taken over in the Hollywood section prior to this. :confused:

But if you don't see that "land" then your perception of how this change fits is definitely going to be different.

My thoughts exactly!

While Disney doesn't own The Twilight Zone (I believe CBS does) :confused3 Disney is not afraid to pay CBS or Fox Studios in a licensing agreement (Who owns Avatar?) to use their property in their parks. (Is that the proper terminology? :confused:) So that can't be a reason. As the new Avatar Land going into Animal Kingdom will be a license type deal. Not sure of the legal term of it is.

I guess I thought that the GOTG theme was temporary as the movie is coming out next year. I guess not? :coffee::mad:

While Disney doesn't own The Twilight Zone (I believe CBS does) :confused3 Disney is not afraid to pay CBS or Fox Studios in a licensing agreement (Who owns Avatar?) to use their property in their parks. (Is that the proper terminology? :confused:) So that can't be a reason. As the new Avatar Land going into Animal Kingdom will be a license type deal. Not sure of the legal term of it is.

I guess I thought that the GOTG theme was temporary as the movie is coming out next year. I guess not? :coffee::mad:

when i saw this response in a different form, i was wondering the same if it is because of the licensing issue. Disney used to have sponsorship all over the place and is slowly getting rid of them one by one after their agreement is over...
With only the exception of starbucks though...

Some names worth noting... McDonald, Kodak, Chevron, Nestle.(thats all i can think of right now...)

I was telling the other forum i frequent that someone should create a VR of the ride now, and thati can be replayed when the transformation is complete...

when i saw this response in a different form, i was wondering the same if it is because of the licensing issue. Disney used to have sponsorship all over the place and is slowly getting rid of them one by one after their agreement is over...

Some names worth noting... McDonald, Kodak, Chevron, Nestle.(thats all i can think of right now...)

I was telling the other forum i frequent that someone should create a VR of the ride now, and thati can be replayed when the transformation is complete...

What's a VR?

Not certain that they are intentionally getting rid of them - more so I think they aren't attracting them for the "cost" they want. There were ones they paid for the licensing and then there were sponsorships where the corporation paid to have a presence in the park.

Last edited:

I don't think Disney is getting rid of sponsorships; they have just changed over time. I agree also with the poster who says maybe they are harder to get the sponsorships these days due to the costs Disney demands. You mentioned several sponsorships that have disappeared from the parks, but a couple of them were just replaced by others. Chevron used to sponsor Autopia; now it's Honda (which used to feature Asimo in Innoventions before it became Launch Bay). It used to be Kodak photo spots all over the park; now it's Nikon. Kodak went bankrupt, so that probably had more to do with them ceasing to be a Disney sponsor. The relationship with Nestle ended, but now we have Joffrey's coffee eveywhere that Starbucks is not. One you didn't mention: the relationship with Orville Reddenbacher ended, so now there is Pop Secret popcorn at all the stands. One that has stuck around for a long time and is still there: Coca Cola.

Disney used to have sponsorship all over the place and is slowly getting rid of them one by one after their agreement is over...

I don't think Disney is getting rid of sponsorships; they have just changed over time.

I had posted this earlier. But when it comes to sponsorships, Disney loves them. And with a name like Mission:Breakout, you can expect Clearasil to take over this attraction soon.
upload_2016-9-7_8-30-24.png

upload_2016-9-7_8-31-8.png

I love Disney nostalgia. As a longtime WDW fan, I am planning a trip to DL mostly for nostalgia reasons. There are certain rides at WDW/DL that must never be re-themed, no matter how "out of date" they are, or I will give up on Disney forever -- It's a Small World, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan. But I completely understand this change. My preteen daughter prefers Universal Studios to Disney because she associates one with the stories she likes -- Harry Potter, Marvel, Jurassic -- and one with princesses. If we go to DL after this ride opens, she will be thrilled. I would personally prefer WDW to get all the changes, while DL stays classic, but Disney needs to draw guests to DL who are looking for something more than nostalgia.

It looks like C-3PO threw up.

Not sure he's so messy...

I actually think it looks interesting, but it certainly doesn't look like it belongs in Hollywood Land. So it's time for them to put the Marvel Land on the front burner and get their stuff together.

I think it looks interesting though admittedly I haven't seen the movie. What looks harsh is poor Joe's stretched out earlobe :( That cannot be comfortable. Also it'll be sandwiched between Hollywood and Bug's Land and at this point oddly out of place.

I think it's gonna look ugly and out of place because you can see it from many places throughout the park. It will look ugly from Bug's Land. If this is the beginning of a Marvel Land, I hope that they create a good transition from Hollywood to Marvel or else it will look terribe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter