FEBRUARY 2024 W.I.S.H thread-full of gratitude, grace and love

Yesterday wasn't really a self-care day. We went to church which was not great for a few reasons, one of which was that our Pastor was out of town so we had the lay leader preaching. She makes it a point to identify herself as a "Certified Lay Leader" as if she needs to prove that she is legitimate. But the problem is she stinks. I would have rather had a non-certified anybody else get up there and give it a shot. It was Scout Sunday, and it was disappointing to see that our Boy Scout troop has only 5 boys. I remember the days that we had a huge group.

Anyway, after lunch, I prepared my valentines for my students. I got them miniature teddy bears that came with plastic hearts, so I had to put each bear in each heart and tape them shut since they kept opening. I signed all my cards, and also signed each box of conversation hearts for them. I still need to get cupcakes. I had planned on doing it tomorrow since I'm off for my physical, but now we're getting snow, so...I don't know when that will get done...obviously before school on Wednesday.

I'm not into football, so while DH was watching the festivities, I watched surfing videos.

I went to the lab this morning to get my bloodwork done before my appointment tomorrow. I had a hard time scheduling so I just walked in. I was first in line, but of course there were a bunch with appointments. Well the staff opened late, and then I noticed the kiosks to sign in were unplugged. It was a whole thing, and come to find out, the location had been closed for a month which is probably why I couldn't get an appointment for last week. Anyway, I finally left because the staff clearly didn't know what they were doing, and my stomach was acting up. I barely made it home, and basically without too much information, I had to take a sick day because my stomach just isn't right.

So I'm home, and I wonder how much snow we will get and if my appointment will get cancelled tomorrow. I have an SUV, so I probably won't have an issue getting there. I guess we shall see...

DD is in the air. She will be in Florida this week on a work trip. I'm so glad she got out before it started snowing.
Sad just for the lab experience, your Valentine's prep sounds fantastic!

I had an epiphany last week, in that I could get a desk organizer instead of having the desk covered in stuff. So I did get one and I am really enjoying a nice clean desk this morning, which is good because this week is going to be a lot. My motivation is to just get thru it.... because this time next week I'll be on my way to the airport!

It was a good productive weekend, I finished my London walking challenge and am almost finished cleaning up the back porch: around the table that is out there still needs to be done but that will wait until after I get back.

I dropped a couple pounds last week, working toward dropping a couple more this week. I have my first Wheel of the Year class for Spring tonight, and a massage Thursday and I need to book a brow wax. I didn't get the suitcase out over the weekend, so will do so tonight... getting excited!

Last edited:
@piglet1979 and @Oneanne are really a modivation to get the steps in and keep on track! Good work Ladies!!

@Summer2018 sorry about the lab incident and your illness! Feel better ❤️

Got some quick “around the blocks” in today on my breaks and did a YouTube cardio on my lunch so I met my move goal and hit my 8k steps I was aiming for! Logged all my food today and got a gallon on water down so hoping this sets the tone for the week!!

Tomorrow we are now scheduled to get 1-5 inches of snow from 6am-11am!!! “Rapidly falling” is the description…yesterday it was just a little snow mixed with rain!!!

Everyone have a good rest of your Monday!!

Congrats @PAsFab5

My self care was trying to eat right yesterday and getting 10,000 steps. Then watching the Superbowl.

I got 10,000 steps on Saturday and Sunday and tracked my food each day. My mind is focused on losing weight before the cruise.

I also drank 32 oz of water yesterday. This is a big deal. Normally I don't drink much. We got new water bottles that keep your water cold for a long time. The bottles are 16 oz. I put 4 ice cubes in it and it stays ice cold all day and really all night too. I don't have to put more ice in it either. I drink so much more water when it is really cold.

When is your cruise! That's a great motivator!

TOPIC TUESDAY

View attachment 833687

We all get angry and frustrated...and holding it in is the worst thing you can do. How do you cope with your feelings and then bring more laughter and joy into your daily life?
I cope in many ways. For one I vent like crazy when I am mad or frustrated. Someone always knows how I am feeling. I don't hide my feelings real well. Sometimes I eat as well. I am usually not in a bad mood for long. Usually by the next day I am happy and have moved on.

So today is Fat Tuesday and every year I buy the kids a Paczki. This year they were all gone from the house by the time I got up. I am debating going up to get them now and surprising them this afternoon. This just means that I will eat one too.

Yesterday, Jeff and I decided to eat out at chipotle. I love that one just opened near us. We didn't have a car (both kids were at work) so we walked up to get it. I didn't get my 10,000 steps but I got about 8,000. I did track my food yesterday as well. I am still drinking more water then normal. This is good. I am drinking about 24+ ounces a day where before I was barely drinking anything. Baby steps.

I love Paczkis. DH drives me crazy buying them as soon as they are available at Big Y. I have learned that my corner bakery makes the best ones. Yesterday I picked up one for Fat Tuesday…the only one I allow myself. I ordered raspberry but it turned out to be blueberry. Delicious. Until next year…

Well I got the doughnuts. The bakery doesn't make them any different then their regular doughnuts other then using powder sugar on the cream filled ones instead of chocolate on top. I like the powder sugar much better.

I decided to go after getting a text from Elizabeth to pick her up from school. A guest at the school (he was still outside but the school is pretty much all windows) had a medical emergency. Elizabeth was the one that saw him on the ground and told her teacher who called the office. The school resource office did CPR for several minutes. The kids in her class watched everything. She is pretty shook up but doing ok. The teacher did say that she probably saved his life. I did just talk to her councilor, at the school, and she said that the guy is doing ok. He is awake and alert. This made her feel better.

Well I got the doughnuts. The bakery doesn't make them any different then their regular doughnuts other then using powder sugar on the cream filled ones instead of chocolate on top. I like the powder sugar much better.

I decided to go after getting a text from Elizabeth to pick her up from school. A guest at the school (he was still outside but the school is pretty much all windows) had a medical emergency. Elizabeth was the one that saw him on the ground and told her teacher who called the office. The school resource office did CPR for several minutes. The kids in her class watched everything. She is pretty shook up but doing ok. The teacher did say that she probably saved his life. I did just talk to her councilor, at the school, and she said that the guy is doing ok. He is awake and alert. This made her feel better.
Thankful to hear he is doing OK.

Ah the anger. That's one I really struggle with. Last week I was frustrated and my manager posted something in a Slack message that really set me off... instead of holding space for me to just be frustrated she told me how to do my job, and the assumption that I wasn't already doing that was what pushed me over the edge. I told her I was a little offended by that and then spent the weekend beating myself up for doing so. But it was interestingly a disassociated internal conversation, like an old tape playing back without the emotion attached to it. So that is an improvement.

Getting back to the Wheel class last night felt really good and I'm a little sad that I'm going to miss the next three weeks when the group really forms. But not too sad, because... Morocco.

Yesterday I found out another attendee, who is flying out of LAX, will be on my same Paris-Marrakesh flight. I'm hoping she also has a long layover and we might have time to meet up and get something to eat together. And it will be great to have someone to go thru money exchange and the ride to the riad together.

Interesting topic @Summer2018!!

When I am angry I also tend to panic. And when I panic it’s written all over my face/body…I get flushed and my upper body breaks out in hives and it can happen in 10 seconds! If I hold it in or talk about it same outcome if I am angry/panic…

That being said I don’t get angry easily. I can remember the last time I was angry and it was January and I even remember the day-it was the 9th LOL! I also am quick to forgive but although I forgive quickly I won’t keep exposing myself or my family to the people who cause harm.

If you get me angry-you did something pretty outrageous and chances are you won’t hear from me for a long time!

We all get angry and frustrated...and holding it in is the worst thing you can do. How do you cope with your feelings and then bring more laughter and joy into your daily life?
I'm a confrontation-avoider. It overwhelms my nervous system and makes me feel worse instead of better. I get feelings out by writing in a journal, or writing a letter (whether I give it to the person or not).

I bring back the joy with time to myself (taking a walk or watching something on TV or YouTube) or spending time with my kitties.

It takes a lot to make me angry. I think a lot of that is just born in personality. I'm a lot like my dad was in that way. When I do get angry though, I'm a confrontation avoider, like @PollyannaMom, so I'm glad I don't get angry often because I don't deal with it well.

That being said, I also don't laugh as much in a day as I should. I've been thinking lately that DH and I need to start watching an old sitcom each night. When we first got married, the Golden Girls was on every night about the time we went to bed, so it was our evening ritual - watch the Golden Girls and go to bed. We could do that again by finding a sitcom on one of our streaming services and watch just one episode a night. I was thinking Everyone Loves Raymond, that was always one of my favorites, but there are so many to choose from!

I've been thinking lately that DH and I need to start watching an old sitcom each night. When we first got married, the Golden Girls was on every night about the time we went to bed, so it was our evening ritual - watch the Golden Girls and go to bed. We could do that again by finding a sitcom on one of our streaming services and watch just one episode a night.
I love that idea!!

I also wanted to say, I've never heard of paczkis (must not be a midwest thing), but they look yummy!!
They are a Polish doughnut eaten on Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. There are many Polish immigrants living in my area, so they are widely available.

Also this time of year there is an Italian treat eaten especially on St. Joseph's Day. Zeppole is an Italian fried dough filled with custard, ricotta, or chocolate topped with powdered sugar and a cherry.

Last edited:
I have been a people pleaser most of my life, but in my forties, I began to learn how to say, "no," create boundaries, and express my anger rather than swallowing it. I still get quite shaken up by it, but I know that keeping it in has affected my health very negatively for many years.

I am great at laughter and making others laugh. I try to find the humor in everything, and I have no trouble laughing at myself. I make my students laugh often. I enjoy humorous books, tv, movies, comedy shows, and silly reels on Facebook. Comedy is definitely my favorite genre for any type of media. Laughter is my main coping mechanism.

During the pandemic, I joined a thread on the DisBoards called, "Funny Memes." It helped me so much during my darkest days. I haven't been on it in a while, but I should make it a point of visiting and posting more often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter