FEBRUARY 2024 W.I.S.H thread-full of gratitude, grace and love

ShannyMcB

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the February 2024 WISH thread! So happy to have you!

We are a group if dis-ers of all ages and geographic locations who are here to support and encourage eachother in our healthier living goals. Whether you are looking to exercise more, lose weight, eat better, work on self-care or any other healthy living goal please join us!

We have weekly volunteer hosts and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:
MOTIVATION MONDAY - TOPIC TUESDAY - WOOHOO WEDNESDAY - THANKFUL THURSDAY - FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY - SOCIAL SATURDAY - SELF-CARE SUNDAY

5-11 @newski_mom
12-18 @Summer2018
19-25 @PollyannaMom
26-March 3 @PAsFab5

Last edited:
I will do 26-March 3!

Thankful today for mom having a great day yesterday at her rehab facility!!! To see her climbing stairs when they didn’t even know if she would walk is amazing!!!!!

Thankful for the time with my family this week!!!

Goals for February... it's all about getting ready for vacation! That includes:

- getting my back back in good shape thru regular maintenance and movement
- getting at least a few pounds off so I'm more comfortable
- clearing up my congestion

It's hard to really take in that in 19 days I'll be sitting at this table!
1706805865415.png

Thankful Thursday -
The sun is trying to come out!!

Goals for February -
Try at least one more vegetarian recipe, and work on choosing more conscious snacks
Continue with exercise (moved the spot in my routine to help with that)
Make progress on decluttering (and hopefully find the best spot in the routine for that as well)

February Goals:

For the next 12 days until my physical, I will cut back on added sugar, no carbs at dinner, and sugar free dessert.

After my physical I will give myself a couple days to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Then I will get back to the same plan, except on weekends, I will allow myself an extra cup of coffee and some potatoes at dinner.

I truly want to get serious about losing significant weight before my trip in May. We know that I struggle with weight loss in the summer when I’m not in school, so if I can buckle down for the next 4 months, I could really make some progress.

February goals:

1. Track my eating - this is the key for me and I've really slacked off. Time to get with it again
2. Get better sleep - not sure how this one will go. DH and I stay up way too late. He does well with too little sleep (I think he just requires less), but the older I get, the less I can handle it

We leave on a cruise on the 22nd, so I want to buckle down before that and get a little back into my good eating habits so maybe some of it will stick. Cruises always have good choices available, I just need to choose them when I'm there.

February Goals

1. Track my food -- I started Jan 1 doing this but it only lasted a few days. I really need to do this
2. Work out more -- The plan to work out with Elizabeth is not working out. She broke her thumb and sprained her ankle. She got a cast on her ankle today because she is not doing what she is supposed to do with wearing the boot. Plus she has picked up another shift at work and is just to busy. I need to get myself on the treadmill everyday. My plan is to get 10,000 steps a day.

The challenging part of the week for eating healthy is here. Weekends I will give myself a break and order takeout, have pancakes for breakfast, you get the picture. The problem is that for me to make significant progress, I can’t do that right now. I spend Mondays and Tuesdays taking off the weekend weight gain. Wednesday-Friday is when I lose weight, but God forbid I want a couple cocktails or glasses of wine on Friday night. For the time being, I must be as strict on the weekend as I am during the week. UGH. 😩

I’m going to make a vegetable and fruit smoothie to drink first, then see how much that fills me up before figuring out what I will eat for lunch.

At least I am getting used to the no carb dinners as boring as they may be.

I am happy to report that I had my normal breakfast of eggs, Dave’s Killer Raisin the Roof toast, two vegetable/fruit smoothies, a very healthy sandwich on Dave’s Killer Good Seed Bread for lunch, chicken with carrots for dinner, and a sugar free pudding for dessert.

I survived Saturday.

I left the house at 8a this morning to run my big errand and it was such a beautiful drive with clear skies but bits of misty fog hanging around on some of the fields. I did make it back in time to see Groundhog Day. So much fun, like visiting a familiar place and I’d never seen it on a big screen before.

For self care tomorrow I’m going to finish working on the bathroom and turn it into a true sanctuary. I promised myself I would get to a good place in cleaning and organizing before I bought any new decor and I’m pretty much to that point, so I’m going to make an early run to Home Goods tomorrow morning. It is supposed to be clear skies in the afternoon so I’m planning on taking my self care outside and work in the garden for a while.

Last edited:
Well my saboteur is back at it…no matter how low key I have tried to keep my healthy eating, he has picked up on it, and bought some of my favorites today. He even bought my giant Valentine heart of candy 9 days early, and placed it on the hearth instead of hiding it. (Guess what? I will use it as my reward for working so hard!) He bought chocolate chip brownies and sourdough bread from the bakery. I could go on and on. Then as I was drinking my smoothie, he strolled in with a pizza from my favorite restaurant for lunch.

At least he didn’t get any paczki’s. I banned them from the house already so he couldn’t. Thank God!

I’m using this attack to fortify myself to fight even harder.
IMG_2867.jpeg

Last edited:
There’s a sugar on/off switch in my brain and in the past when I’ve done well with sugar consumption it’s because the switch had automatically flipped off, but this time I’ve had to manually force it off. Since Wednesday I’ve managed to be low sugar and thankfully the heat and anger in my body has already significantly dropped. I’m moving better and my skin is starting to look better. And I dropped four pounds last week. Hallelujah!

Where last week was just about reducing sugar, the coming week I’ll be counting calories and monitoring calorie quality. If I can get another five or so pounds off before vacation, I will be very happy.

1707108090206.png

Here's an article I ran across on staying motivated to workout during the winter months:

https://www.polar.com/blog/11-ways-to-stay-motivated-to-work-out-this-winter/

I'll summarize the highlights incase I didn't link it right.
1. Do something you actually like
2. Do an at home workout
3. Grab a workout buddy
4. Snag some new workout gear
5. Distract yourself with Netflix or Hulu
6. Workout right before or after work
7. Create a calendar so you can hit your goals
8. Try something new and exciting
9. Use the cold weather to your advantage
10. Make a new playlist
11. Keep eating healthy

Is anyone using any of these ways to stay motivated during the winter months?

What is your motivation this week?

Motivation again this week... vacation is now only 14 days away! I am so relieved to be moving easier and feeling better, but kicking myself that I didn't get to this point sooner so there was time to lose more of the weight I put back on.

That's a good list for exercise motivations. This week I'll resume You Tube exercise videos for exercising at home and one of the gals at my gathering Friday mentioned a Monday night dance class that I'm planning on going to this evening, for some fun and movement and comradery.

I actually cooked myself a dinner of chicken and a salad last night, and it was edible! So I'm motivated this week to do some more cooking.

Other motivations... to finish up the bathroom re-do, as it isn't quite spa-like enough yet. And then to tackle the back porch, which always looks a mess.

Motivation again this week... vacation is now only 14 days away! I am so relieved to be moving easier and feeling better, but kicking myself that I didn't get to this point sooner so there was time to lose more of the weight I put back on.

That's a good list for exercise motivations. This week I'll resume You Tube exercise videos for exercising at home and one of the gals at my gathering Friday mentioned a Monday night dance class that I'm planning on going to this evening, for some fun and movement and comradery.

I actually cooked myself a dinner of chicken and a salad last night, and it was edible! So I'm motivated this week to do some more cooking.

Other motivations... to finish up the bathroom re-do, as it isn't quite spa-like enough yet. And then to tackle the back porch, which always looks a mess.

Vacations are such a good motivator! I have started looking for a you tube exercise program to follow. I read a lot about Grow With Jo, but haven't really jumped in and tried them for myself.

Our go to chicken recipe is baked bone in chicken. I usually use parm cheese or shake and bake type coating. I take the skin off and it is still super juicy and we really enjoy it.

Good luck with your bathroom and back porch!

Topic Tuesday:
1707194998763.png

Have you ever actually lost weight on vacation?? I know there are some in this group who are getting ready to go on vacations. What are some tips that you try to use while away from home? Do you just throw everything to the wind and not worry about it, or do you try to keep some of your meal planning, etc while you're away?

Is anyone using any of these ways to stay motivated during the winter months?

1. Do something you actually like
2. Do an at home workout
5. Distract yourself with Netflix or Hulu
11. Keep eating healthy
My strategy is 1./2./5. - I walk on the treadmill, at home, while watching Netflix, YouTube, or Disney+

I'm trying with 11. but I do slip sometimes on the comfort foods when it's cold and dark.

I have never lost weight on vacation because I truly indulge, however I have maintained in Disneyland and WDW because of all of the walking.

Same. I do OK when the vacation includes a lot of walking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter