FEBRUARY 2024 W.I.S.H thread-full of gratitude, grace and love

Topic Tuesday:
View attachment 831882

Have you ever actually lost weight on vacation?? I know there are some in this group who are getting ready to go on vacations. What are some tips that you try to use while away from home? Do you just throw everything to the wind and not worry about it, or do you try to keep some of your meal planning, etc while you're away?
I am not sure. I think I stay about the same. When at Disney, I think I lose because I don't eat as much. It is just too hot. Then add in all the walking and I think I lose some. Other vacations I don't have as much walking but I eat about the same. so I don't think there is much movement.

I have never lost weight on vacation because I truly indulge, however I have maintained in Disneyland and WDW because of all of the walking.
All of the walking definitely helps! We cruise for a lot of our vacations and I've made myself start walking intentionally on the sea days. It's so easy for me to just want to sit by the pools, but I've found I don't tend to gain if I do the walking on sea days. Maybe this next time I'll check out the gym. I know they have amazing gyms, but I always feel intimidated when I go - maybe DH will go with me??

My strategy is 1./2./5. - I walk on the treadmill, at home, while watching Netflix, YouTube, or Disney+

I'm trying with 11. but I do slip sometimes on the comfort foods when it's cold and dark.

Same. I do OK when the vacation includes a lot of walking.

I've been thinking about getting a treadmill, but I'm afraid I wouldn't end up using it. I got a used one at one point, but it was cheap and hard to use, so I never did. I something think if I got a nicer home one maybe I'd use it but I'd hate for it to be another "clothes hanger" lol!

I am not sure. I think I stay about the same. When at Disney, I think I lose because I don't eat as much. It is just too hot. Then add in all the walking and I think I lose some. Other vacations I don't have as much walking but I eat about the same. so I don't think there is much movement.

I'm that same way in hot climates. I don't eat as much and it's usually lighter foods vs any kind of fried, doughy foods which also helps!

Hello Everyone and Happy Tuesday!!

I don’t believe I have ever lost weight on vacation! I do give myself about a week after returning from a trip before I weight myself, because of the bloat and water retention from eating things I normally would not. I always gain, usually mild but I always gain!

Since I am behind: goals for February= steps! I need to get focused on 8K or more steps per day. I got that in yesterday and I am on track to meet it again today!

Tracking food-I need to do this consistently even if it’s not pretty!!

I hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

I don't remember if I've ever lost weight on vacation, but same with maintaining because of all the walking at Disney... and applying that good ol' Disney math, if you don't gain that's like losing, isn't it?

I tend to lose track of my routines while on vacation, even with taking meds. Having the structure around food while on the Alaska cruise did help and I'm hoping having a schedule, and mostly supervised meals, while in Morocco will also help.

I logged my food for the first time in forever yesterday, and managed OK with the calories. I did a YouTube routine with Fabulous Fifties (at least I think that's her name) that was good, so I'll keep up with it.

Hello Everyone and Happy Tuesday!!

I don’t believe I have ever lost weight on vacation! I do give myself about a week after returning from a trip before I weight myself, because of the bloat and water retention from eating things I normally would not. I always gain, usually mild but I always gain!

Since I am behind: goals for February= steps! I need to get focused on 8K or more steps per day. I got that in yesterday and I am on track to meet it again today!

Tracking food-I need to do this consistently even if it’s not pretty!!

I hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

You have the same goals as me. I don't know why I resist myself so much! When I'm being consistent, I feel so much better about myself and everything seems to flow better in all aspects of my life. I need to be like the Nike commercials - Just Do It!

I don't remember if I've ever lost weight on vacation, but same with maintaining because of all the walking at Disney... and applying that good ol' Disney math, if you don't gain that's like losing, isn't it?

I tend to lose track of my routines while on vacation, even with taking meds. Having the structure around food while on the Alaska cruise did help and I'm hoping having a schedule, and mostly supervised meals, while in Morocco will also help.

I logged my food for the first time in forever yesterday, and managed OK with the calories. I did a YouTube routine with Fabulous Fifties (at least I think that's her name) that was good, so I'll keep up with it.

I do think keeping at least a semi-schedule helps on vacation. When our kids were younger, we definitely had better schedule / routines on vacation than we seem to have now.

I'll have to check out Fabulous Fifties - sounds like something I might like too!

I usually stay the same on vaca...I don't know for sure as I don't own a scale, I judge by wristbands :hyper:
Since pretty much all our vacations right now involve some sort of amusement park there is LOTS of walking so that evens out the calories from snacks. I also will order kids meals whenever possible to help with that as well.

I usually stay the same on vaca...I don't know for sure as I don't own a scale, I judge by wristbands :hyper:
Since pretty much all our vacations right now involve some sort of amusement park there is LOTS of walking so that evens out the calories from snacks. I also will order kids meals whenever possible to help with that as well.

I love your judging by wristbands!! I don't know that I could ever get away from my scale though. I'm not necessarily one who obsesses over it, but I just like knowing the numbers. I guess that's the accountant in me :laughing:

Woohoo... I've met my eating and exercising goals each day this week. Yesterday I calculated that if I did at least 5000 steps per day I would meet my walk London challenge before going on vacation, and yesterday I got in 10000 steps. I've now got "just" 17 miles left and am actually in London (at least virtually). And with just a couple days doing the YouTube videos (walking and stretching), the crunchiness in my body is almost gone.

Woohoo... the two new dresses I bought for the trip do actually fit, but dropping a few more pounds is going to make the fit even better.

Woohoo... I got the seeds I wanted in the Floret breeding program seed sale yesterday.

WOO HOO! I have a mini winter break coming up next week, which I desperately need.

So glad you're getting a break!!

Good decluttering progress over the last couple of days.

I've been working on this too! I've been helping my mom some too, she feels like she needs my "permission" to get rid of some thing lol! I do understand how it's easier when you have someone to run things by though.

Woohoo... I've met my eating and exercising goals each day this week. Yesterday I calculated that if I did at least 5000 steps per day I would meet my walk London challenge before going on vacation, and yesterday I got in 10000 steps. I've now got "just" 17 miles left and am actually in London (at least virtually). And with just a couple days doing the YouTube videos (walking and stretching), the crunchiness in my body is almost gone.

Woohoo... the two new dresses I bought for the trip do actually fit, but dropping a few more pounds is going to make the fit even better.

Woohoo... I got the seeds I wanted in the Floret breeding program seed sale yesterday.

You are doing great on your goals!! So impressive!

My WooHoo is that yesterday my sister and I got together after work to make mints for my mom's 80th birthday party this weekend. We don't have much one-on-one time, so it was a fun evening!!

Thankful for seeing the sun today and the fact it won't be freezing all weekend. While I do enjoy living somewhere that has all 4 seasons too many super cold, cloudy days in a row can drag on you.

Thankful we have DS11's schedule for getting his braces on and thankful MIL's minor eye procedures are scheduled for days everyone takes the bus home and not on a day of after school activities to try to juggle. Thankful for the life improvements these minor medical adjustments will bring.

I was in a bad mood yesterday. A lot of extra demands were made on me by nearly everyone including my DH after a very difficult day. I almost blew up at him big time, but fortunately he backed off when he saw my face and heard my tone of voice.

I am thankful that today is a better day.

I am also thankful for the good weather we've been having, five days with sunshine in the middle of winter is a real treat. I'm also thankful that sunset is currently 5:20p and that the low tides have been before sunset, so there's been lots of beach to walk on.

I'm thankful to have passed the one year mark of living here. And kudos for past-me for doing the work to get current-me here. And I'm thankful that my social life is expanding a bit... last Friday was the ladies gathering and this Friday several of the group are meeting up to see the the play the community theater group is putting on.

I've been flip-flopping back and forth about vacation from 'no big deal, just go get on the plane' to 'omg! I'm going to Africa and have to get thru the Paris airport to do so!'. As a matter of fact the travel outfit I'm putting together is designed not just for comfort but also for looking (fairly) chic for that Paris transfer. I've been finding quite a few long-trip travel hacks to use, like a large light weight scarf to use as a blanket on the plane and a neck pillow you can fill yourself with things like undies or tee-shirts, and of course compression socks.

And lastly, I am so thankful to have the means to be able to take this trip.

So much to be thankful for on this thread!

Thankful today for our customer appreciation day at work. My old boss that retired 6 years ago came back for it. It was great to visit with him for awhile. He was my boss for 21 years and is just an amazing man. Made me think DH and I need to call and see about going out to dinner with him and his wife to have even more time to visit uninterrupted.

Thankful for the nice weather we've been having - it's supposed to get colder again this weekend, but the sunny warm days have been a nice break!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter