4 Planned FastPass+ Test Happening Now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I can confirm:

I'm an AP holder so I can book for any day whether I'll be at WDW or not. We're coming down on Wednesday.

I went into FP+ through disneyworld.com (via Safari on a Mac).
I choose tomorrow (3/30)
I selected the first three attractions (Small world, Buzz, Thunder)
The next screen is the one with 4 options (A-D with different times) and on this screen I had 4 FP listed. Philharmagic was the 4th FP that was added.

I did the same thing for 3/31 and again I had a 4th FP added (but I don't recall which it was).

I did not try for 4/1 because I already have FP+ scheduled for my trip. I did try to "update your FP+" but I only had my original 3 listed. There was no bonus 4th FP.

We are leaving on Monday 4/6. So I tried to add FP+s for Tuesday 4/7. I selected three rides and when I went to the next screen with the 4 time options (A-D) there was not a bonus 4th FP. There were only the three I had chosen.

The Force will be with you....always.

Based on what you're saying then those who did in fact book in advance at either the 60 or 30 day marks are at a disadvantage for the "test" . Yep makes sense = Not !

Sounds like an interesting test. I am not sure why some are trying to spin this to the negative but it is the same rhetoric by the usual suspects. Hopefully, the testing is successful and we see an expansion of the current FP system to 4 at least during peak seasons.

Based on what you're saying then those who did in fact book in advance at either the 60 or 30 day marks are at a disadvantage for the "test" . Yep makes sense = Not !

Not sure how you would reconcile that conclusion with the frequent complaints that there is nothing good left if you don't book at midnight 60 days out and that same day guests are left with nothing but scraps.

I think a lot of people would rather have 3 FPs that they can select 60 days out when selection is the greatest than to wait until a couple of days before and get 4. The throwaway room approach would seem to highlight the value some people place on getting their choices as soon as possible. Same for people like us who book FPs in the evening and forego the opportunity to get a 4th at the parks.

But, for anyone who feels disadvantaged, the solution is obvious. Just cancel your existing reservations and rebook.

Why is this good?

One of the complaints is that 3 isn't enough. That has been posted many times. So testing to to see if a prebooked 4th is sustainable seems like a prudent response to the demand to be able to book more than 3. Especially if surveys indicated guests would like to be able to do this.

So that is one way in which this is a good thing.

They're at no disadvantage at all. If they'd like to be on equal footing with those who are able to get a 4th fp+, they simply cancel what they have. No one is forced into being excluded.

But was it any better under legacy FP? I mean, if you hopped to Epcot at 2:00, did you have any shot at a Soarin' or TT FP?

I'm pretty sure this has been covered in other FP+ debates, but on our past trips legacy FP for those rides was still available that late.

Sounds like an interesting test. I am not sure why some are trying to spin this to the negative but it is the same rhetoric by the usual suspects. Hopefully, the testing is successful and we see an expansion of the current FP system to 4 at least during peak seasons.

I have mixed feelings. I'm not a fan of FP+ partly because I was able to avoid more lines with legacy FP. Being able to book 4 FP In MK is appealing, but I know it will decrease the availability of day of FP and make the system less flexible. Since tiers still exist at Epcot and DHS, giving me an extra FP is meaningless.

So on the Magical Express bus now. Honestly not happy with the news. So I played by the rules booked my 3 and now to get 4 have to cancel & start over? What part of fair is that?

I won't be changing anything but one more reason we will take our next trip to Disneyland till they change it there too!

So on the Magical Express bus now. Honestly not happy with the news. So I played by the rules booked my 3 and now to get 4 have to cancel & start over? What part of fair is that?

I won't be changing anything but one more reason we will take our next trip to Disneyland till they change it there too!

It puts you on equal footing with those who are just now booking.

Keep in mind that you had choice of time and choice of every attraction and meet and greet just about when you booked.

That said -- a negative to testing and transition times is that folks who planned ahead may miss out. But the option remains to cancel and get 4 while forgoing coveted hard to get last minute attractions.

I hope you enjoy your vacation either way.

We have an upcoming short trip and because of what I got, I have no plans on cancelling our 3 to get 4 should they opt to expand testing or implement this permanently.

Why is this good?

One of the complaints is that 3 isn't enough. That has been posted many times. So testing to to see if a prebooked 4th is sustainable seems like a prudent response to the demand to be able to book more than 3. Especially if surveys indicated guests would like to be able to do this.

So that is one way in which this is a good thing.

I agree, that's a fair point to make. Testing this isn't a bad thing per se. except to people there who are now either going to have to cancel their FPs and rebook hoping to get the ones they want OR deal with increased SB lines due to other people now getting 4 FPs instantly instead of 3.

But I mean in the long run, assuming they went with this, is this a good thing, especially during peak crowds ?

As Fuzzylogic used to point out quite often, all you can do is shift waits at this point. So if before you were FPing 3 lines and then SBing the rest, and we know that FP's increased the wait times on rides, this will only increase with more prebooked FPs. By increasing the number of FPs people are using, you are only going to increase the wait in SB lines and make it even harder to get the most coveted FPs, especially for offsiters and people who don't book at the 60 day mark.

It doesn't take an algorithm or a genius to figure that out.

I'm pretty sure this has been covered in other FP+ debates, but on our past trips legacy FP for those rides was still available that late.

I have mixed feelings. I'm not a fan of FP+ partly because I was able to avoid more lines with legacy FP. Being able to book 4 FP In MK is appealing, but I know it will decrease the availability of day of FP and make the system less flexible. Since tiers still exist at Epcot and DHS, giving me an extra FP is meaningless.

The assumption that is being made is that previous to thisn test, WDW was making available 100% of the total inventory of FP's and was not holding a certain % in reserve. Perhaps they were not releasing all available fast passes each day so that during peak periods with longer standby waits, they could release the remaining inventory thus relieving the standby wait times.

They're at no disadvantage at all. If they'd like to be on equal footing with those who are able to get a 4th fp+, they simply cancel what they have. No one is forced into being excluded.
LOL....and give up the ressies that many have worked so hard to get like A&E, 7dmt, Wishes,FOF etc. Right :rolleyes: !
Don't get me wrong I think more fp's would be great, but those who are already in the system shouldn't be penalized for booking in advance as provided for.
We're still in our 60-30 day range for our trip(in other words not yet at the 30 day mark but past the 60). I tried yesterday and today to change 2 fp's for another day/time, namely Wishes and 7dmt. I could change 7dmt( but no where near a time that worked), and could not get Wishes. Your suggestion would be to give up what we waited until midnight at the 60 day mark to book for the 4th and if we don't give it up, then too bad right ? Why am I not surprised ?

I agree, that's a fair point to make. Testing this isn't a bad thing per se. except to people there who are now either going to have to cancel their FPs and rebook hoping to get the ones they want OR deal with increased SB lines due to other people now getting 4 FPs instantly instead of 3.

But I mean in the long run, assuming they went with this, is this a good thing, especially during peak crowds ?

As Fuzzylogic used to point out quite often, all you can do is shift waits at this point. So if before you were FPing 3 lines and then SBing the rest, and we know that FP's increased the wait times on rides, this will only increase with more prebooked FPs. By increasing the number of FPs people are using, you are only going to increase the wait in SB lines and make it even harder to get the most coveted FPs, especially for offsiters and people who don't book at the 60 day mark.

I just dont think that increasing FP's will increase standby times. I fact, I would be willing to bet that it will have the opposite effect.

The assumption that is being made is that previous to thisn test, WDW was making available 100% of the total inventory of FP's and was not holding a certain % in reserve. Perhaps they were not releasing all available fast passes each day so that during peak periods with longer standby waits, they could release the remaining inventory thus relieving the standby wait times.

I honestly don't think you understand how this works. That could only be true if they weren't running the rides at full capacity. FP rides don't just come out of mid air, they are a portion of the total capacity of a ride converted to FPs. Now they could move this up to 100%. They can make more FPs by driving the ration closer to 100%, a purely reservation ride system, but they can't just make more capacity by releasing more FPs.

Every SB ride they convert to an FP, increases overall SB wait times. You have to reassign that wait period somewhere else.

Not sure if peak crowds is best except that there are more park hours and more visitors, so if it could work now...then it would work any time.

But that is contingent upon number of guests, ride capacity, and FP+ daily availability.

Not sure if peak crowds is best except that there are more park hours and more visitors, so if it could work now...then it would work any time.

But that is contingent upon number of guests, ride capacity, and FP+ daily availability.

This is far more likely to work, in fact I am pretty confident in saying it WOULD work fine in lower crowd levels. But as the park nears capacity, the greater the negative impacts of increasing the number of pre-booked FPs.

Your suggestion would be to give up what we waited until midnight at the 60 day mark to book for the 4th and if we don't give it up, then too bad right ? Why am I not surprised ?

No, my suggestion is that people who booked at 30/60 days don't really have a valid complaint that they're being shorted in any way. They're not. They have the ability to be on equal footing with those who didn't advance book. If they choose not to ( and I certainly wouldn't), that's their choice. Right now, anyone who wants to book 4 fp+'s during the testing phase has the ability to do so. Sounds fair to me.

I hope Disney isn't considering changing the number of prebooked FPs based on anticipated crowds. Isn't the system already complicated enough to understand? Just keep the number constant, whatever it winds up being, and go with it year-round.

I honestly don't think you understand how this works. That could only be true if they weren't running the rides at full capacity. FP rides don't just come out of mid air, they are a portion of the total capacity of a ride converted to FPs. Now they could move this up to 100%. They can make more FPs by driving the ration closer to 100%, a purely reservation ride system, but they can't just make more capacity by releasing more FPs.

Every SB ride they convert to an FP, increases overall SB wait times. You have to reassign that wait period somewhere else.

You have 100 people in line for a ride. 75 people in the FP Lane. 25 people in the standby line. You move the first 10 people in the standby lane to the FP Lane (increasing the FP volume). The last person in the standby line is now #15 instead of #25. Are you saying his wait is going to dramatically increase assuming the ratio of the entry between FP and standby guests remain the same?

The solution was provided by DVCcurious earlier in the thread. Go into the app and do a mock rebook. Your current selections should be one of your options plus a 4th FP.if they're not then cancel the rebook. You only lose your existing FPs if you book the new.

No matter what changes happen, whether it's some kind of testing of different ways of doing things, or roll-out of a new "something", there will be folks who will be happy, and folks who will be furious - seems that there's no middle ground.

I, for one, would love to see more FP+ available, but it's not the end of the world if we can't ride 7 dwarfs over and over. But then, even though we can only get there every few years, we always stay onsite, and sometimes, we don't even make the rides our priority... :scared:....shocking, I know, but there is so much more to being there than just the rides, that we always find we have a wonderful time just experiencing all there is to see and do.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but that's my two cents...
This. Exactly. The rides are great but there's so much more to Disney. I love the "more" the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter