VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Thank you Julie for the link and advice, I showed it to Viki. She said she would make it for me. I am going to to link and print the resume. Jimmy agreed on the Boddingtons Ale, so I will venture over to my old liquor store and see if they have. I may wander down the scotch whiskey aisle for old times sake, and look at the single malts. If they don't have the Boddingtons, I probably go with Old Milwaukee!

Corrine, I agree that I probably should go there and and have supper. We have have started to shy away from the real big ticket menus ($$$ symbols in dining pages), and go with more modest restaurants. This summer we ate at Artist Points, as we always do, and for three of us with no alcohol it was over $200 with tip. I was feeling a little violated at that point. I am a bit of a grill master myself (just sayin...) and we seldom get steak while in the World. We have Midwest corn fed steers processed locally near us so we are spoiled in that regard. However, I have long felt like I would like to try Le Cellier because I do enjoy a good steak more than anything else. Maybe we should try the candle light processional dinner package this Christmas trip.

Another question, how do others compare Le Cellier to the Yachtsman Steakhouse? We thought that was WAY over priced. Portions were very small.

Hi Greg,

We actually haven't been to Le Cellier in several years. We used to go there for lunch every trip. It became over the top popular, and it was difficult to get a reservation. Then the greedy Disney folks, errrr, uhm, then it became a signature restaurant. IMHO, it is not on the same level as Yachtsman or California Grill. I still recommend going for lunch and having the soup and delicious breadsticks!

Perhaps worth mentioning....

"That's the million dollar question. If they expand DVC at WL, we don't know if it will be a "new" DVC resort with a separate end date, etc. Or will they fold it into the current villas and have everyone extend their contracts (willingly or unwillingly)? It's hard to imagine that Disney will build significantly at WL as we have heard and then try to sell 27 year contracts at $150 per point. But if they don't combine the "New VWL" with the "Old VWL" as one resort, then the new building and points cannot be spread between the two entities. I think that is a real risk as it could impact the points per night at VWL for select villa types for select times of the year."

The beauty of a contract is that it is NOT POSSIBLE for one party to alter an existing contract without the consent of the 2nd party. If this were possible - a seller of a house could change all the terms on their own, after you bought that house :). Someone CAN buy you out (I suspect it's in our paperwork somewhere) - but they can NOT act by force, unless they wish to cancel the contract, and refund pro-rated costs. WDW could choose to do this - but the very act would likely poison all of DVC, at ALL sites.

Best way to put this- Disney has a LOT of very good lawyers. From the standpoint of a lawyer, they could obviously "win", and you would "loose". From the standpoint of a business? It would be suicide.

Perhaps worth mentioning....

The beauty of a contract is that it is NOT POSSIBLE for one party to alter an existing contract without the consent of the 2nd party. If this were possible - a seller of a house could change all the terms on their own, after you bought that house :). Someone CAN buy you out (I suspect it's in our paperwork somewhere) - but they can NOT act by force, unless they wish to cancel the contract, and refund pro-rated costs. WDW could choose to do this - but the very act would likely poison all of DVC, at ALL sites.

Best way to put this- Disney has a LOT of very good lawyers. From the standpoint of a lawyer, they could obviously "win", and you would "loose". From the standpoint of a business? It would be suicide.

I agree with you Dean. But others, much better versed in these things than I, have suggested that Disney does have the ability to levy an "assessment" (I think they did this with Hilton Head Resort owners several years ago). Needless to say, the contract we have with Disney is as loaded towards their side as Florida timeshare law will allow.

This is obviously new ground for all of us. The closest thing to this is when they converted the Tree House villas to Saratoga Springs Resort after that resort had already opened. But the resort still had 45 plus years on the contracts so selling the new points wasn't much of a stretch. Disney has never "expanded" an existing DVC resort and opened up "new points" with only a 27 year contract.

At the same time, it's hard to imagine them creating two different VWL resorts that would each have their own 11 month owners booking window. Just not very efficient.

Maybe they'll throw us a big carrot to get us to extend the contracts. Obviously the "stick" they tried at OKW was a complete flop when they tried to jam the contract extension down their throats.

Right now, it is pretty much speculation and rumor. Which is fun in and of itself. It will be interesting to see how Disney handles this. And just as interesting to see how they will put the full court marketing spin on to let us know how this is being done "in members best interests". :)

. . . . . . . . . . . . Right now, it is pretty much speculation and rumor. Which is fun in and of itself. It will be interesting to see how Disney handles this. And just as interesting to see how they will put the full court marketing spin on to let us know how this is being done "in members best interests". . . . . .

As a few may suspect, the marketing drive will include "have a Disney Day". . . . . . . .

Hi everyone, I'm Tony! My wife and I just purchased our first DVC contract at VWL and we're taking our first trip to WDW (as DVC owners) in November. We got our contract too late to find a studio at the lodge, but are set to do a split stay at Boardwalk and Saratoga. Hopefully we can stay at VWL for our next trip but in the mean time, I'd be happy to consider myself a Wilderness Lodge groupie if there's room on this train for one more. :)

Look forward to getting to chat with many of you and hope you have an awesome 4th of July weekend!

'Merica!

- Tony

With the new WL studio layout - pull out table or using the pull down murphy bed - How much drawer space is left to store clothes?

Also of the pull down murphy bed is being used - then can you still get to the drawer space?

Thank you.

Hi everyone, I'm Tony! My wife and I just purchased our first DVC contract at VWL and we're taking our first trip to WDW (as DVC owners) in November. We got our contract too late to find a studio at the lodge, but are set to do a split stay at Boardwalk and Saratoga. Hopefully we can stay at VWL for our next trip but in the mean time, I'd be happy to consider myself a Wilderness Lodge groupie if there's room on this train for one more. :)

Look forward to getting to chat with many of you and hope you have an awesome 4th of July weekend!

'Merica!

- Tony

Hi Tony!

:welcome: Welcome to the VWL Groupies!! :welcome:

Congratulations on your new purchase. I think you will enjoy your split stay at those two great resorts, and with the 11 month booking window, 2016 planning should be on your mind!! :)

There's always room on our Groupie train. Come on in and set a spell.

moose_rocking_chair.jpg

:ewok:

'Merica!

- Tony

:welcome: Always room for one more who loves the lodge like we do!!! Grab a moosie for your signature (directions on page 1) and come sit with us as often as you can.

:welcome: Always room for one more who loves the lodge like we do!!! Grab a moosie for your signature (directions on page 1) and come sit with us as often as you can.

Thanks Kathy, and to the others that have replied already! I know that I need to edit my signature so that everyone knows what tribe I'm a part of. lol. I've been trying to read up on alot of other threads in the mean time. There's so much info out there and things to learn. We're Disney veterans (Former Florida resident and annual passholder) and have great memories including proposing to my wife on my birthday in 2011 in the Magic Kingdom. Right now I'm reading alot about waitlisting as I'm hoping to be able to stay at BWV for my whole stay even though it might be a long shot on the last week of F&W.

Granny had mentioned starting to look out for 11 months, but we bought a contract where we intend to go every other year and use banked points, so not as rushed just yet. :)

It's alot to catch up on, but in the grand scheme of things, there's way worse things I could be doing going into a long weekend than reading about Disney. We're really excited to be part of the club now and know we'll make it VWL eventually. DW has asked that we make time for Whispering Canyon for breakfast one morning (since we've never been before) so if anyone has any thoughts on good items on the menu... I'm all ears!:earsboy:

Greetings all...we finally closed on our purchase and are now looking to book a 2 bedroom for March 2016. Would you recommend the standard 2 bedroom or the 2 bedroom lock-off? This will be our first trip as DVC owners and we are very excited!

Thanks for sharing this. I looked a little deeper for pics of a bigger table and sadly looks like the little el cheapo one in front of tv is it. Oh well :sad2:

I don't care for that either Jimmy. I'll have to get on my computer and like to have the TV on too, but not right above my head! We would be unlikely to ever use the Murphy bed but I'd hate to have no table when it's opened up.

Greetings all...we finally closed on our purchase and are now looking to book a 2 bedroom for March 2016. Would you recommend the standard 2 bedroom or the 2 bedroom lock-off? This will be our first trip as DVC owners and we are very excited!

A lockoff is a 1 bedroom and studio with a connecting door. It will have 1 queen size bed and a double sofa bed in the room. Also the small kitchenette and the Murphy bed and it's own door to the hallway.

A dedicated will have 2 queen beds in the second bedroom and no door out to the hallway. Also no kitchenette. So it depends a lot on which I'd those layouts would work better for your group.

Only a day late, but a heartfelt Happy Belated Birthday, Will! :cake::bday:

I'm seeing some new Groupies: pmaurer, sawkam, Tony and Pooh. :welcome: My apologies if I've overlooked someone.

DDad and I stay every December at WL. We have never had difficulty booking a 1-bdrm at 11 mo. At 7 months, it can be difficult .

A 2-bdrm lockoff is a 1-bedroom with a locking door between it and the studio. The studio portion has a queen bed and a sleeper sofa along with a kitchenette. We have used this when one party is leaving before the other. Hopefully the party staying later in the studio (or 1-bdrm) doesn't have to change rooms.

A dedicated 2-bdrm is a 1-bdrm with a combined studio. The studio portion has 2 queen beds and no kitchenette.

sawkam How many people do you expect to have in your 2-bdrm? We don't like using the pullout beds. I book a 2-bdrm for 4 adults and generally will take whatever is available.

Wishing all Groupies a Happy July 4! Finally Ohio is seeing some sun. Our plans include a weiner roast with friends and watching aerial fireworks.
Whatever your day holds, enjoy!

Happy Independence Day!!!!
Our plans for the day, fairly simple, have homemade Ice Cream after dinner with our folks, brother and sister and their families. You know me though, got to throw a little Disney Magic in so one of the freezers will contain Dole Whip:worship:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter