VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Have a great trip Sleepy & Luv!

Even though it's summer, we had a rainy day here in MA so I decided to make Le Cellier Cheddar cheese soup for dinner. I got rave reviews from the guys, and I'm pretty happy with the results too, (usually my own worst critic).

I'm sad to see the weekend coming to an end, work has been incredibly stressful these days.

Hope you all have a good week.

Have a great trip Sleepy & Luv!

Even though it's summer, we had a rainy day here in MA so I decided to make Le Cellier Cheddar cheese soup for dinner. I got rave reviews from the guys, and I'm pretty happy with the results too, (usually my own worst critic).

I'm sad to see the weekend coming to an end, work has been incredibly stressful these days.

Hope you all have a good week.

We have never been to Le Cellier, and I lubs good soup. Is it worth going there for the soup? Can you share any recipe or secrets for making the soup

Happy travels, Sleepydog! The Pooler Exit (Pooler Parkway, Exit 104) can get pretty congested, but several nice little hotels and restaurants there. We live about 40 miles away and use the theaters there often. I hope you have a nice stay on your way to WDW!
Thanks, benjyt! We usually stay in Brunswick as it's a mere 3+ hours from Disney, but since we're leaving after work, we thought we would cut our first day drive time down by an hour. Something about arriving around 9 p.m. instead of 10 p.m. just sounds more appealing. We stayed at Pooler once before and found it more than adequate. Now, it has a Starbucks so we can start our next day off with our fave lattes! :coffee: - Luv drinking coffee; :drinking1- me drinking coffee

JT, Corinne, and horsey: Thanks! Yeah, we always hit the parks first, if even for just a day. At first, we entertained the notion of spending those two days this year at the Park Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned, but we soon came to our senses. ;) As for Kingsland, JT, if we got that close, I don't know that we could stop from going all the way to the Mouse!

Just a heads up for those interested, TCM will be showing Treasures From The Vault this Thurs. starting at 8pm until 4am. I missed the last one in Mar.

Just a heads up for those interested, TCM will be showing Treasures From The Vault this Thurs. starting at 8pm until 4am. I missed the last one in Mar.

Thanks Jimmy! I caught some of the last one and really enjoyed shows I had not seen before. I have to say I hope that the hosting is a little different this time. It was kind of awkward to watch last time. Someone was not as complimentary or gracious about Disney like the guest host was.

Okay, it's been over 24 hours since our last post, so I'll make sure we don't slip to Page 2 by mentioning we are a mere 4 days away from heading south to the World. To be fair, we will work the day we leave and only make it about halfway. Pooler, GA, is our destination that day. However, the next morning we'll be walking along Main Street. We've only two days at WDW because a week from today, we'll set sail on the Dream for five nights. We're excited about merely relaxing and kicking back for a few days. It's about time! :thumbsup2

Have a great trip Sleepy and Luv! Some day we would like to check out the Disney cruise so look forward to hearing about it.

We have never been to Le Cellier, and I lubs good soup. Is it worth going there for the soup? Can you share any recipe or secrets for making the soup

Not Corrine but I've made the soup several times. The key to this soup is low & slow! You really want to render down the bacon slowly. You want that bad for you but oh so delicious fat from the bacon to turn into liquid gold. I turn it up briefly once it reaches that stage to crisp up the bacon a little. Don't leave it unattended! Stir constantly. I use Boddingtons Ale. I'd also suggest adjusting the tobasco to taste. Not exatly the same as the "real" version but it's pretty close. It's never the same without the pretzel bread sticks Le Cellier serves with it. I've tried the ready to bake pretzels but it's not the same. Here's the recipe from Allears http://allears.net/din/recipes/rec-chsoup.htm.

We haven't been to LC is so long. We used to go every trip for lunch until they made it a signature restaurant & switched to an all day menu. I miss the lunch menu. I'm just not interested in spending that kind of money for lunch. If you've never been I'd say it's worth it for the soup & pretzel bread sticks alone.

Happy birthday Magicalmcwho! :bday:

Have a great trip Sleepy and Luv! Some day we would like to check out the Disney cruise so look forward to hearing about it.
Thanks! Will update once we get back. This is our third cruise together (I did one before I met Luv), and we're planning to just relax...and eat...drink...

On another note, I ran across a very interesting thread talking about the new chef at Artist Point, and at one point some very, very intriguing comments were made regarding the DDP and its affect on dining, in general, and Signature dining, in particular. Here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/threads/artist-point-alert-new-head-chef.3422497/#post-53945529 :scratchin

Thanks! Will update once we get back. This is our third cruise together (I did one before I met Luv), and we're planning to just relax...and eat...drink...

On another note, I ran across a very interesting thread talking about the new chef at Artist Point, and at one point some very, very intriguing comments were made regarding the DDP and its affect on dining, in general, and Signature dining, in particular. Here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/threads/artist-point-alert-new-head-chef.3422497/#post-53945529 :scratchin

Interesting read from the point of view of the cast members. I agree BOG is a testing point for limiting substitutions. Last year I asked if they had any menu items without chicken, wine, mushrooms or egg. The chef pretty much said he could remove the mushrooms from an already assembled dish, but could not create anything that I could otherwise eat. I was a bit disappointed, but the environment and a great waiter made up for it. My stomach killed me later (must have missed a mushroom)

My opinion: I wish Disney would do away with the DDP. It's designed for suckers, and doesn't do anything to improve food quality or affordability.

Have a good trip Sleepy. Kids and I are packing our bags now... looks like I'll be doing laundry our first day there as the kids horded the machine all day. Look for me in the laundry room :rotfl2::laundy:

Interesting read from the point of view of the cast members. I agree BOG is a testing point for limiting substitutions. Last year I asked if they had any menu items without chicken, wine, mushrooms or egg. The chef pretty much said he could remove the mushrooms from an already assembled dish, but could not create anything that I could otherwise eat. I was a bit disappointed, but the environment and a great waiter made up for it. My stomach killed me later (must have missed a mushroom)

My opinion: I wish Disney would do away with the DDP. It's designed for suckers, and doesn't do anything to improve food quality or affordability.

Have a good trip Sleepy. Kids and I are packing our bags now... looks like I'll be doing laundry our first day there as the kids horded the machine all day. Look for me in the laundry room :rotfl2::laundy:
I didn't realize until just now that we'd be at the World at the same time. We're only there for a couple of busy days, so I don't know that our paths will cross, but if you see a distinguished, umm, mature couple sporting happy anniversary buttons in and around the lobby and Villas, that might be us! Have a great trip, too! As for DDP, I agree. I'm not as long-term as many who have been visiting the World, but even I can see the quality of the food and offerings has taken a dip the last several years of DDP, and based on the source in the link, it's not getting better. Off to work. I'll pack tonight; Luv packed this past weekend.

Sleepy, thanks for the link. I've read 'rusty's' dining reviews before, knew he was a cm, but was not aware he was at WL.
Have a great trip!

Greg
Julie is right, Boddingtons is spot on for the beer, also, we like to use Nueskes Bacon and Black Diamond White Cheddar cheese. We always use the WDW recipe book for our rendering. After many attempts, these couple items really set the flavors in line with Le Cellier's version.

Greg
Julie is right, Boddingtons is spot on for the beer, also, we like to use Nueskes Bacon and Black Diamond White Cheddar cheese. We always use the WDW recipe book for our rendering. After many attempts, these couple items really set the flavors in line with Le Cellier's version.

I do remember those 2 items being in the original recipe but I could never find them locally. There was a specific ale mentioned too but also couldn't find that. Boddingtons is a good substitute though.

After talking about the recipe & thinking about the soup & pretzel sticks we decided to make a lunch ADR for Dec. :D I feel a little bad for the server just going to get soup but at least we'll turn the table over quickly! :)

Thanks for that link Sly. We haven't used the DDP since the boys were considered children in Disney's eyes. Really not a fan of the DDP. I've also found that most people don't want it or maybe it's just because I don't push it. It's sad that food quality has to take a backseat because of it. I always suspected it but I guess now I know for sure.

Anyone besides Sly & Twinklebug have fun plans for the long weekend? Not much going on here. We might try to visit another winery if the weather cooperates. We've been working our way along the Coastal Wine Trail. It's a tough job but someone has to do it! :laughing:

Have a great day groupies!:daisy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter