VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hello Everyone. Hope you are all well. I was wanting to ask you about the Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL. Well I am very shy and don't like attention being drawn to me whilst dining at all. But I do adore ketchup can I avoid what occurs when you ask for this item? I would freak! Thank you!
If you want to avoid the hijinks altogether, you can ask to be seated in the little area just at the end of the place, near the big fireplace. You are out more in the open, elevated above floor level, but most folks pay no attn. passing by. And it remains calm out there.

If you let your server know that you'd rather not take part in the shennanigans, he/she should let you be. You can then discretely ask said server for some ketchup.;)

Ditto - WC started placing a little coaster on everyone's table about a year ago.... "Green Side Up" is participate in the fun. "Red Side up" is sitting on the sidelines. Being WC, they very much GOT this :).

WELCOME anmay27! :welcome: So nice to have you here! As others have said, near the elevators is a good request. We have stayed in 2-bedroom rooms many times and only once have had the coveted corner room. In a word, fabulous! All the extra room is wonderful! There is one small drawback in that the kitchen area is considerably smaller and, in our experience, the 2nd bedroom (studio) portion was significantly smaller than other studios we have stayed in.

Wishing Slimplaw a very Happy Birthday! :cake:

Thank you for all that helped with WC and how to avoid the loud participation! Much appreciated.

Paula, when you are seated they will give you a little card that has two sides. One says you're interested in participating, and the other says you will just watch. It lets your server (as well as the other staff) know whether or not you want to be involved. :)

Sorry. Nothing important to report or discuss. I just couldn't stand to see this thread down the page where those looking for us must scroll down a whole screen!

It's Friday; one week after another of rain here in Ohio. Hard to get the lawn mowed! I'll be headed to Muscle Shoals next week for a two day meeting, then off to California the following week for more meetings.

Hope all have a wonderful weekend with their family and friends.

Sorry. Nothing important to report or discuss. I just couldn't stand to see this thread down the page where those looking for us must scroll down a whole screen!

It's Friday; one week after another of rain here in Ohio. Hard to get the lawn mowed! I'll be headed to Muscle Shoals next week for a two day meeting, then off to California the following week for more meetings.

Hope all have a wonderful weekend with their family and friends.

Now Muscle Shoals has got the swampers, and they've been known to pick a song or two (Yes they do!) Sorry Dad, the southerner in me just couldn't resist::yes::

Send rain our way we need bad

Unrelated - but we're happy about it :).

Sandy and I are headed for a five day trip to San Francisco.... TOP of our list is an entire day at the Disney Family Museum :). If they LET me take photos? I'll post 'em.

Later that morning we went for a walk to Trails End for breakfast. Probably the best meal for the money on the entire trip. I don't know which was better, our server or the spread. I do know I wish we had done this sooner, and we will be doing it again. Anyway we had never walked down to the rental boat launch dock and then taken the nature trail before, so we set out on our walk. As we are going out the back entryway to go past Hidden Springs pool we met up with these folks.

I initially thought that it was a DVC sales tour. It turns out they are all Disney employees or contractors. The woman in the white top looking over the shoulders of the two gents with their backs turned was hosting the walk about. I heard her discussing the new pathway in the submittal plans we saw a few weeks ago. They were toting tablets, prints, and cell phones. She was finger pointing and gesturing as she said "new sidewalk will be going through about here and head into that direction." When I heard those words I decided to grab my phone. I think she gave me the stink eye when she realized what I was doing.

These pictures are from the walking pathway down by the lake. I took them while standing on the path looking back at the DVC building.

We have never walked this path before. So I am asking those of you with more local knowledge. However, as I recall from my room views, I do not think the trees used to be so sparse, with so much open space between the lake shore line and the building structure. Is this the same as it has been, or are some trees already cleared? I suspect that some have been felled.

As we approached the end of the pathway, where it turns to the right and crosses the roadway to join the asphalt running trial we found this scene.

It looks to me like they have been clearing stuff and preparing for the construction work. I think it is in close proximity to where the last cabin would be located. A pair of nine yard dumpsters, one of them is filled. Have they always been there? I would think not. I say all of that to say this, it appears that the construction work is imminent. We are debating over the kitchen table about where to reserve for next summer. To get in at the eleven month window for next June, I need to book in the next 4 or 5 weeks. If we pass on the VWL, I guess we have until Thanksgiving. We don't really know where to go. We have always stayed in the wilderness. We did move to Kidani village for two nights in a 1 bedroom and watched the animals. It was very nice, but it wasn't enticing enough to spend eight or nine nights. The Lodge is our best choice for many reasons.

To quote Bill Murray in Stripes when he lost his girlfriend and his job, "And then reality set in".

Yeah. :sad: Thanks for the detective work Greg even if I'm not liking the results

Greg....awesome detective work and visual evidence!! :thumbsup2

I guess even those of us with the worst case of denial will have to shrug and start accepting the changes happening to our beloved VWL. :confused3

Accept yes. Like no.

Agree with the others that you've done a great sleuthing, Greg. As for the trees, and as a frequent runner down that trail, the trees look about the same as I recall. We haven't stayed there in a couple of years to be fair, and it's likely they have felled a few; however, it doesn't look too bad. . .right now. I am certain many trees will have to come down, and when that happens, I'm afraid--VERY afraid--the serenity that once was VWL will be lost. I couldn't be more on board with Granny's comments--all signs point toward DVC refurbing and building to suit new tenants who don't have an emotional attachment to the old Disney feel. It's all about the Benjamins, and while I understand that's the way of the world, I still have a deep-seated inkling that I'll be mourning the VWL with which I fell in "love."

I agree with Sly. We walk that path every trip. As of now it looks about the same to me.

Me too. :sad2: Maybe I should be thanking them. With all the construction that will be going on there will be no Christmas trip for us in 2016. I guess that will get me out of the borrowing hole.

Unrelated - but we're happy about it :).

Sandy and I are headed for a five day trip to San Francisco.... TOP of our list is an entire day at the Disney Family Museum :). If they LET me take photos? I'll post 'em.

How fun! Just don't bring a selfie stick. :rolleyes:

How fun! Just don't bring a selfie stick. :rolleyes:
No way - too old for that :).

And the next time I see someone with a cane, Velcro, and a camera at WDW? Going to beat that person with his "cane" :). Poor WDW..... that policy is going to be next to impossible to enforce :(. They try....

Now Muscle Shoals has got the swampers, and they've been known to pick a song or two (Yes they do!) Sorry Dad, the southerner in me just couldn't resist::yes::

Send rain our way we need bad

Thank you Jimmy! I read DDad's post earlier and came this close to posting the same thing! :laughing: A year or so ago I saw a really good documentary on Muscle Shoals that I recommend if anyone runs across it. Until then I had no idea about all of the music that came out of there.

Dean
Looking forward too hearing about the museum. Hope too go there myself someday! And you are still in the wheelhouse of being relatable...Walt=WDW=Wilderness Lodge=Love. See how all that ties together nicely:tilt:
KAT
So happy I am not the only one thinking this way!

Okay, it's been over 24 hours since our last post, so I'll make sure we don't slip to Page 2 by mentioning we are a mere 4 days away from heading south to the World. To be fair, we will work the day we leave and only make it about halfway. Pooler, GA, is our destination that day. However, the next morning we'll be walking along Main Street. We've only two days at WDW because a week from today, we'll set sail on the Dream for five nights. We're excited about merely relaxing and kicking back for a few days. It's about time! :thumbsup2

Happy travels, Sleepydog! The Pooler Exit (Pooler Parkway, Exit 104) can get pretty congested, but several nice little hotels and restaurants there. We live about 40 miles away and use the theaters there often. I hope you have a nice stay on your way to WDW!

Okay, it's been over 24 hours since our last post, so I'll make sure we don't slip to Page 2 by mentioning we are a mere 4 days away from heading south to the World. To be fair, we will work the day we leave and only make it about halfway. Pooler, GA, is our destination that day. However, the next morning we'll be walking along Main Street. We've only two days at WDW because a week from today, we'll set sail on the Dream for five nights. We're excited about merely relaxing and kicking back for a few days. It's about time! :thumbsup2

Ooooooooo a double dip! :thumbsup2 :woohoo: Awesome! My first DCL was a double dip. Hard to compete with that itinerary. Have a great time!

Have a great time Sleepy and Luv!! Love double dipping at WDW and Cruising(though we only have 1 exp. with this)we are doing same again in Mar. 2016. We will have to check out the Pooler area. We usually stay around Kingsland, just before reaching the FL line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter