November 2023 W.I.S.H. Thread - Bountiful Blessings

I wanted to wait until tonight to post about my Self-Care Sunday.

Started the day at church and then my mom's for lunch. We helped her with some of her Christmas decorations and then came home for an afternoon nap (always good for self-care in my book lol).

After naps, we got most of the Christmas decorations up other than the tree which we will tackle tomorrow night. I'm happy with what we got done without feeling like we overdid it too much. So, all-in-all a good day with a combination of rest and accomplishment!

Here's to the new week!

I just realized I haven't been on in awhile. I swore though that I got on last week at some point. I was on PTO last week and took nick to visit some colleges. Thanksgiving was great but Piper (our dog) got hurt. We don't know what happened but Friday you could tell she was in pain. We took her to the vet today and it looks like she has a sprained ligament (the one that is the same as our ACL). Some meds and rest should hopefully do the trick. I also finally went to the Dr. about my elbow. It has been hurting since I did some weeding in May. I have tennis elbow so I am on anti-inflammatory meds as well. All in all we are doing good.

Catching for the past few days. Evidently I am a:
1701113670306.png

The weekend was lovely, the only time based commitment was the appointment to make the wreaths Saturday, everything else was whatever whenever, which was really nice. We continue to have clear skies, which is such a treat at this time of year, and I got in a good long walk on the beach yesterday.

This morning I booked my flights for Morocco, because holy cow the trip is now just three months away. I connect in Paris on the way out and then Casablanca and Paris on the way back, its just crazy to think about. Wow. I also sucked it up and got on the scale this morning, and was surprised to see the last week of eating all the things didn't put any weight on the scale.

For presents this year I've decided to do a gift for each person, instead of a lot of little things in a gift bag, partly to exercise personal restraint and partly to get them things they might actually need/want. I've got just about everything either ordered or on my wish list until we get our extra holiday discount next week. Seems too easy.

Little motivational quote from queen Dolly to start the week off
View attachment 813818

A good reminder that we just need to be our best selves!

I've been doing good with my food choices since our Thanskgiving feast. Today is my boss' birthday and his wife brought in a cake for the office. She cut it and went around to give everyone a piece. It's hard not to accept and eat cake that the boss's wife has made lol! Luckily for me it is chocolate layer cake with chocolate icing. If there is one weakness that I do not have, it's chocolate cake - definitely not my favorite, so I played around with it a bit on my plate while she was here and then was able to toss the rest without doing too much to my daily plan!

Tonight I hope to get the rest of our decorating done so we can just enjoy the house for the rest of the season!

I got back on track with my eating. It’s so hard after indulging, but absolutely necessary.

I started putting up decorations in my classroom yesterday and my students are loving it. One of them asked if Santa is real, and I said, “Of course he is. I spoke with him yesterday.” She looked so relieved.

Please share your favorite use of leftovers (holidays or otherwise) for this topic Tuesday
View attachment 814105
We had so many left overs after Thanksgiving 2020 (I was cooking for 5 but you would have thought it was for 10+ people) that we made a turkey pot pie type of dish. It was a Michael Symon recipe. We also make perogies from the left over mashed potatoes. I love left over stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, so I don' t mind just eating them as left overs.

I actually did pretty good this year in making the right amount of food for the number of people eating and don't have a lot left over. At Thanksgiving dinner my Sister mentioned how she won my Niece's Dad's heart by bringing him a post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwich that our Mom had made... nothing more than white bread, mayo, turkey, salt and pepper, but they were good and I've never been able to replicate them.

Had another Wheel of the Year class last night and they are just so good. As an added bonus the skies were clear last night and from where I parked the full moon was hanging over the water down at the end of the street... magical. It's quite foggy this morning but if it burns off I think I'll drive down the same street tonight to see it again.

Plus, miracle of miracles, I finally found an outdoor outlet where I can plug in Christmas lights. Sounds silly that I hadn't already located it, but it is by the heat pump box and had a cover, so I thought it was part of the heating system. I'm very happy about this because the solar lights I've been using just aren't cutting it.

Good topic - no one in my immediate family loves turkey, so we don't really like eating it another day just as is. I typically shred any leftover turkey we have a put it in a casserole dish that calls for chicken. That makes me not waste it, but not have to eat it the same way again.

I'm like @piglet1979 in that the stuffing, I can just warm up and eat again. My mom and MIL still make the dressing for each of the family meals we attend - their recipes are so different, but I love them both!

We also had quite a bit of corn casserole left over this year and DS just warms it up and eats it. He loves it!

Please share your favorite use of leftovers (holidays or otherwise) for this topic Tuesday

We usually just eat the Thanksgiving leftovers as is (or make turkey sandwiches). In fact, I warmed up the last of the veggies last night to go with ham and twice-baked potatoes, and now I only have a bit of cranberry sauce left.

I did throw some cut up turkey and stuffing into eggs one morning, and it actually turned out pretty good. - I beat them a little bit with a fork, stirred in the leftovers, then instead of continuing to scramble, I just let it cook a bit, flipped it, and let it cook some more. - Kind of a way less fancy omelet.

My other favorite way to use leftovers (not necessarily Thanksgiving) is to make stuffed peppers.

I’m allergic to turkey so I roast a chicken instead. We had enough for Thanksgiving and dinner the following night. DH was bent out of shape that there wasn’t enough leftover for sandwiches.

My colleagues were talking about their leftovers today, the most popular being turkey soup.

DD’s BF’s mom made them a Thanksgiving breakfast the Sunday before. It consisted of an egg sandwich with turkey and two huge turkey legs reminiscent of WDW. She was not thrilled, but smiled and gratefully tried everything.

As far as regular food, I am not creative whatsoever. I just reheat leftovers in the oven the next day.

WOO HOO! As painful as this process is, the Thanksgiving weight gain is coming off. Next will be the prednisone weight and I will be back where I started in September at my lowest weight in many years. I am determined to keep losing until Christmas rather than giving myself a free holiday pass for the month of December.

WOO HOO! I am getting my hair highlighted and cut this weekend. The roots are really coming in!

WOO HOO! I should be getting my longevity bonus soon which will help with the holiday spending.

Woohoo... My next work project is going to be what I wanted and asked for and I'll get to work with two of my favorite people... yesterday we had our first meeting and it felt so good. The past few weeks, every day there has been some sort of struggle or stress about people learning new jobs and figuring out who does what and one of the people I'm working closest with really isn't very professionally mature so its been bumpy. It is going to be awesome to not have to deal with that as much with the new project, and it is a really big thing for the company, so exciting all around.

We aren't even into December yet, but for some reason I feel like I'm behind on Christmas already, but really I'm not, it is just that it comes so darn fast. I want to make sure I'm doing at least one community Christmas thing each week but haven't figured out what those things are, so that is also stressing me out. Ugh, I just need to calm down and get things done.

edited to add: just read a post by Miss Mustardseed where she spoke to exactly what I've been feeling about Christmas, and ties some of it to social media and Influencers starting holiday so early. Below is taken from the end of her article.

"My point certainly is to offer encouragement to those who feel behind, including myself. I hope you can take a deep breath and settle into a pace that feels natural, effortless, and joyful. Give yourself permission to be slow, to take time to play, and to allow the season to unfold in a way that is perfect for you and your family. And loosely hold onto or, if possible, let go of anything that makes the Christmas season feel like a race."

Last edited:
My heart is heavy. I just found out that my friend and colleague for 14 years has terminal brain cancer. This is not a situation where treatment will cure her. It will give her a couple of months to be with her family. She is an extremely physically fit Physical Educator with a big personality...not the kind of person you would ever expect to die young. She is one of the most generous people I know. I am broken hearted.

My heart is heavy. I just found out that my friend and colleague for 14 years has terminal brain cancer. This is not a situation where treatment will cure her. It will give her a couple of months to be with her family. She is an extremely physically fit Physical Educator with a big personality...not the kind of person you would ever expect to die young. She is one of the most generous people I know. I am broken hearted.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Cancer is a terrible disease :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter