News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
One note. Disney has to choose between high ticket prices v. higher attendance.

As you pointed out they miss potential merchandising, food, and ticket sales from their price increases. However that 300,000,000 number you cited is offset by millions more willing to spend that money. Most guests are not going to spend more then a week at WDW. Trying to appeal to that small niche market (myself included) at the expense of capturing greater profit from the vast majority of customers is not good business.

If you're arguing that they should be making large additions each year to the parks to draw in that tiny market, that also doesn't make sense. Supposing they were going to spend 500 million on a new E Ticket to appeal to that niche what would they get? Say they get 20% returns on that 300 million which would put profits at 60 million. Between the construction cost of the new ride and increased operating costs incurred by the ride Disney would still not end up making more money short term.

It would take years before Disney would have the return on investment they're looking for. The problem with your argument is if by the time they had recovered costs the ride would already cease to placate the niche and they would've started reducing trip size again.

My question would be how much more time would you spend at the parks if they did open up a new ride? A day? Two days? Three? It seems unlikely one ride could make you do that. More likely Disney is pricing that niche out (myself included).

The premise is to expand the repeat, high spending repeat customer in an effort to extract "guaranteed" primary and secondary spending...

They tinkered with it in the past.

By "tinker" I'm talking about the annual pass program and the Disney vacation club...

And they are both phenomenal successes that have yielded billions in operating capital and walkaway profits.

Whatever his shortcomings...give Eisner a credit for that.

Now they are basically limiting park "additions" to what can be argued as the "bare minimum"...the argument can be made that its less than that.

And they are spending to fill in the lagoons in magic kingdom with concrete to pack in more tourists...and to have roped off areas to up charge for a view of the spectacular fireworks...

Which are closing in on 12 years old.

Boy...how time flies ;)

I see all of this talk about AK "becoming a full-day park" within this thread, but does anyone beating that drum really, truly buy into that concept? The opening of Pandora's Box is going to net us a whopping two new attractions - of which, one being an E-ticket and the other being a boat ride that "may include small drops". I truly want to get excited about the glowing trees and flying banshees, but when you break this down into its most basic form, I can't help but do anything but yawn.

Look - I love AK as it currently stands today, and truly hope that Pandora is going to become a great addition with incredible theming. But to think that it's going to turn AK into a "full-day park" defies logic. At most, it's going to add another hour to the existing ~3 hours that I normally put into the park as of the present.

Sure, Pandora will definitely create a "buzz" and will have positive sort-term impact on the park's performance for the first few years. But in order for that trend to continue and for AK to become a true "full-day park", the development team would need to have another 2-3 projects of similar size/scope in the pipeline NOW in order for that to even be a possibility by 2025, and they don't. It doesn't take a VP of operations to see through that smoke screen.

IMHO, Pandora is just a "blip" designed to bring a short-term (2-5 year) bump to AK. And this is the crux of my problem with the existing management philosophy. The only thing that the suits care about is the short-term, and for that reason, the only thing we're ever going to see are more short-term "blips" from here on out. These people don't care the Disney history, culture or have the desire to leave a legacy when they're gone. They simply care about the short-term, because NONE of them will be around in a decade when these "blips" begin to fade.
well you re getting a nighttime version of the safari and a nighttime show to go along with whatever they offer in Pandora

Funny how that 2-5 year blip park program...

And even the somewhat curious rush to run out 5 Star Wars movies in 5-6 years...

Seem to line up with the number "5"...

I'm trying to figure out if there might be some other correlation there...can't quite put my finger on it...hmmmm

well you re getting a nighttime version of the safari and a nighttime show to go along with whatever they offer in Pandora

I'm interested to see the show...it really...REALLY has to be a very good one to have much effect

The night safari is also intriguing...but doesn't really "add" to a day. I think a relatively small number of patrons will plan on doing "two safaris" and block their time accordingly...
Which means there's really no net gain in appeal for the park.

Spirit says an apple store will most likely be coming to Disney Springs. It has been rumored before.

That's still a "rumor"?

Jeez...I thought that was settled and assumed it was almost built.

Steve job's wife is like the largest shareholder in Disney, is she not?
Talk about a painful process...

I'm worried about "the springs"...I just don't think they've got much...

Unlike the parks... There is no incentive to stretch out the process at downtown...the money should be consistent as soon as they open for a long time...

And yet it's still going like a slug.
I'll feel more optimistic of I hear of some real draw places...like American girl or something not in 1/2 the shopping malls in the country.

I'm interested to see the show...it really...REALLY has to be a very good one to have much effect

The night safari is also intriguing...but doesn't really "add" to a day. I think a relatively small number of patrons will plan on doing "two safaris" and block their time accordingly...
Which means there's really no net gain in appeal for the park.
because nighttime shows are so unpopular?

because nighttime shows are so unpopular?

Because its animal kingdom... And that is a different...well..."animal"

There has been a 1-3 pm stampede out of that place since 1999 (don't believe me? Head there today...or tomorrow...or any day)...and only a really good show will counteract that in my estimation.

Zoos don't have mass appeal...that's why you don't see alot of "for profit" zoos...and animal kingdom doesn't have alot of attractions...

Sorry, we're at the same problem again...my band tells me it's gonna be a short day.

And no... Avatar is not gonna be the white knight

That's still a "rumor"?

Jeez...I thought that was settled and assumed it was almost built.

Steve job's wife is like the largest shareholder in Disney, is she not?
Talk about a painful process...

I'm worried about "the springs"...I just don't think they've got much...

Unlike the parks... There is no incentive to stretch out the process at downtown...the money should be consistent as soon as they open for a long time...

And yet it's still going like a slug.
I'll feel more optimistic of I hear of some real draw places...like American girl or something not in 1/2 the shopping malls in the country.
Yes Steve jobs wife is still the largest Disney shareholder.

Because its animal kingdom... And that is a different...well..."animal"

There has been a 1-3 pm stampede out of that place since 1999 (don't believe me? Head there today...or tomorrow...or any day)...and only a really good show will counteract that in my estimation.

Zoos don't have mass appeal...that's why you don't see alot of "for profit" zoos...and animal kingdom doesn't have alot of attractions...

Sorry, we're at the same problem again...my band tells me it's gonna be a short day.

And no... Avatar is not gonna be the white knight
i agree with most of your post...and as always when it comes to avatar dont let YOUR opinion pre determine what may or may not actually happen

True, but that has nothing to do with AK becoming a "full-day park".
the half day/full day park thing again is all opinion....i personally leave the park early....but i do think at worst you will see a shift in how people visit DAK
but the new additions really is another 3-5 hours in the park IMO of course

I would love to see your logic as to how you are coming up with another 3-5 hours with 2 new attractions and a 20-minute long night-time show??? By my math, 2 new rides will net me at BEST another hour in the park. As for the nighttime show, that won't keep me in the park any longer. Rather, it will just change "when" I decide to venture into the park (again - see my above post about arriving in the PM rather than the AM). The "nighttime" safari is not a "new draw". Rather, it would just replace me from riding the "daytime" safari (no net gain).

Honestly, I don't believe that Disney wants for the "other" parks to become full-day draws. I think the ~$50 - $70 "park hopper" option is a very lucrative revenue stream for them requiring ZERO capital investment. Rather than spending significant sums of money to get all parks running on all cylinders, we will just continue to see the "blip" theory in action to accommodate the current direction of the wind. The princesses are screaming for Frozen and EPCOT is hurting.... "BLIP" - Goodbye Maelstrom, hello Elsa. AK has been empty after 2:00 pm everyday since its inception, do something!.... "BLIP" - 2 new rides and a night time show. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Last edited:
I would love to see your logic as to how you are coming up with another 3-5 hours with 2 new attractions and a 20-minute long night-time show??? By my math, 2 new rides will net me at BEST another hour in the park. As for the nighttime show, that won't keep me in the park any longer. Rather, it will just change "when" I decide to venture into the park (again - see my above post about arriving in the PM rather than the AM). The "nighttime" safari is not a "new draw". Rather, it would just replace me from riding the "daytime" safari (no net gain).

Honestly, I don't believe that Disney wants for the "other" parks to become full-day draws. I think the ~$50 - $70 "park hopper" option is a very lucrative revenue stream for them requiring ZERO capital investment. Rather than spending significant sums of money to get all parks running on all cylinders, we will just continue to see the "blip" theory in action to accommodate the current direction of the wind. The princesses are screaming for Frozen and EPCOT is hurting.... "BLIP" - Goodbye Maelstrom, hello Elsa. AK has been empty after 2:00 pm everyday since its inception, do something!.... "BLIP" - 2 new rides and a night time show. Rinse, wash, repeat.
well you re adding a new nighttime show and a new nighttime safari on top of the new haramabe marketplace on top of entire new land which we dont have all the details yet..yeah easily 3 hours in my book

as far as the park hopper issue i agree

Also i agree a lot of people leave by 2, i sure do because they lack food options and i would rather spend my evening at a park thats open to 10 instead of 6 or 7, dont disagree at all

well you re adding a new nighttime show and a new nighttime safari on top of the new haramabe marketplace on top of entire new land which we dont have all the details yet..yeah easily 3 hours in my book

as far as the park hopper issue i agree

Also i agree a lot of people leave by 2, i sure do because they lack food options and i would rather spend my evening at a park thats open to 10 instead of 6 or 7, dont disagree at all
So with these new additions I think we will see the reverse people will arrive later to stay later rather than arrive early to leave early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter