News Round Up 2016

Not sure how it's gonna affect parks...but stock watchers are really nervous about Disney in 2017.

Why? And this is classic - that they are having too good of a year in 2016 at the box office and have no hope to replicate it next due to a weaker slate of both Disney brands and Marvel films.

But that reason is secondary...because ESPN is not being referred to as a "disaster"...which was only implied to now.

Not a good forecast. They need to pivot away from ESPN in the worst way. A sale might be the best move.

But I'm guessing we're not getting "phase: me" and "phase: more" over at studios...

If I were looking at the value of the company with a mind towards the 2016 box office results, I'd recognize:

1) Disney has firmly established several franchises that have a reputation for quality films
2) Disney has a boatload of box office cash to reinvest in these franchises or even new properties

Sure, 2017 may not come close to 2016's phenomenal numbers, but YOY growth is hardly the most important thing for company health - especially after a massive positive outlier.

If I were looking at the value of the company with a mind towards the 2016 box office results, I'd recognize:

1) Disney has firmly established several franchises that have a reputation for quality films
2) Disney has a boatload of box office cash to reinvest in these franchises or even new properties

Sure, 2017 may not come close to 2016's phenomenal numbers, but YOY growth is hardly the most important thing for company health - especially after a massive positive outlier.

You're preaching to a guy who isn't even in the choir...

I'm not giving investment tips...I'm just saying what street analysts/publications are grumbling about. And not just the motley fool this time.

You make a case of the "value" of disney that treats it as more than just another company...do you think anyone cares? Cause the stock hoarders don't.

I think YOY growth may not be the most important thing if you are in the mindset of long-term thinking (at a practical level we all get that there are ebbs and flows to profitability)..but a lot of companies think more short term so a weaker YOY growth may be the main thing they are looking at.

Why is Disney not necessarily going to have a great box office in 2017?

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: I call this POTC syndrome, a great movie comes out where even more people discover it after it leaves theater cause it has great word of mouth and everyone loves it. Sequel comes out, sequel makes a ton more (even if sequel sucks). Original POTC made 305 million domestically and the second one made 423 million.

Beauty and the Beast: should be their best cartoon to live action gross yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit high 300 million domestically.

Born in China documentary: people love pandas. Not sure if this one will hit March of the Penguin 100+ million numbers but it should do well.

POTC Dead Men Tell No Tales: not sure about this one. Depp's stock has fallen, but these always do well internationally. Maybe mid 100 millions domestically?

Cars 3: box office doesn't matter they made it for the merchandising.

Some live action fairy tale in July that hasn't been named yet...so I have no idea.

Thor Ragnarok: Marvel movies don't miss. High 100 millions.

Coco: the new Pixar movie. I hate to be a broken record but Pixar doesn't really do duds either. It'll hit 100 million plus easily.

Episode VIII: yeah.

I don't see how 2017 will be a worse year than 2016. I think with Beauty and the Beast, Guardians 2 and Episode VIII and 2 Pixars there is a chance for high numbers.

Why is Disney not necessarily going to have a great box office in 2017?

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: I call this POTC syndrome, a great movie comes out where even more people discover it after it leaves theater cause it has great word of mouth and everyone loves it. Sequel comes out, sequel makes a ton more (even if sequel sucks). Original POTC made 305 million domestically and the second one made 423 million.

Beauty and the Beast: should be their best cartoon to live action gross yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit high 300 million domestically.

Born in China documentary: people love pandas. Not sure if this one will hit March of the Penguin 100+ million numbers but it should do well.

POTC Dead Men Tell No Tales: not sure about this one. Depp's stock has fallen, but these always do well internationally. Maybe mid 100 millions domestically?

Cars 3: box office doesn't matter they made it for the merchandising.

Some live action fairy tale in July that hasn't been named yet...so I have no idea.

Thor Ragnarok: Marvel movies don't miss. High 100 millions.

Coco: the new Pixar movie. I hate to be a broken record but Pixar doesn't really do duds either. It'll hit 100 million plus easily.

Episode VIII: yeah.

I don't see how 2017 will be a worse year than 2016. I think with Beauty and the Beast, Guardians 2 and Episode VIII and 2 Pixars there is a chance for high numbers.
It's about the worries of ESPN and cable. Everyone knows they will do great at the box office. We also don't know what to expect at the parks. Will attendance continue to decline? Will profits still increase? We don't know yet.

Rumor

Alcohol to soon be served at MK. A report is that restaurant CMs are being trained to serve alcohol. This would be outside of BoG of course which already serves alcohol.

Side note
Rehearsals overnight are continuing for Rivers of Light

It's about the worries of ESPN and cable. Everyone knows they will do great at the box office. We also don't know what to expect at the parks. Will attendance continue to decline? Will profits still increase? We don't know yet.

Sigh. Looks like I need to actually read posts instead of glancing at them and getting all up in arms over it.

Rumor

Alcohol to soon be served at MK. A report is that restaurant CMs are being trained to serve alcohol. This would be outside of BoG of course which already serves alcohol.

Side note

Must have been too much money left on the table to let that one keep standing. **** Disney, does anything not have a price anymore?

Rumor

Side note

If this is just at restaurants I don't see the huge deal (would love to be able to get a tropical coctail at the Skipper's Canteen) ... if they start having drink carts and people just walking around with drink just seems a bit wrong to me, though I am sure I would adapt

I would like to see beverage service expanded to table service restaurants (personally). It felt weird not being able to order a cocktail at Skipper Canteen, but I don't know how I feel about it being more widely available in the MK beyond that. I will say that I enjoy the occasional adult beverage in Animal Kingdom and have never seen any shenanigans from "over served" guests there. If it's done right I guess I could be okay with it. Hard to cut ties with tradition without feeling the pang of losing something nostalgic, though.

(Says the chick who ordered a glass of wine in BOG just to be able to say I did....)

If this is just at restaurants I don't see the huge deal (would love to be able to get a tropical coctail at the Skipper's Canteen) ... if they start having drink carts and people just walking around with drink just seems a bit wrong to me, though I am sure I would adapt

Knew I liked this guy

It's not just the NBA, the NFL and other leagues keep going way up too.

ESPN way overpaid for the NBA. There was no other bid for it. Plus, the NFL on Thursday night, plus Sunday night, and sometimes twice on Monday night has cheapened what used to be a scarce product.

ESPN has a bit of the Blockbuster issue in that they drained very cent they could from the consumer for as long as they could and now many a consumer is just as happy to urinate on ESPN's grave as they were on Blockbuster's. ESPN's demands are/were part and parcel of why cable/satellite bills climbed to the point that so many consumers are choosing to opt out. Blades of Glory made fun of ESPN's growth/creep a decade ago in calling the channel the skating was on; ESPN 8- The Ocho.

Last edited:
When is it open all the time?
Will I be able to ride this in March?

Thanks!! :earsboy::earsboy:

From my understanding of how Stitch will be used going forward is that if Spring Break crowds are large enough at that time that extra ride capacity is needed then it will be open.

News

New margarita location coming to Mexico in epcot in early 2017?

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/12/choza-del-tequila-coming-epcot-2017-margaritas/

Maybe it will be another place to basically get La Cava margaritas. It would be nice to have somewhere for people to get one without crowding the Mexico pavilion. I love La Cava, but the lines can be long, and it doesn't open up early enough.

Rumor

Man, I hope they start this before I get there. I think I might need some stiff drinks for the crowds between xmas and NYE:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter