News Round Up 2016

I just tried it....it does work but includes a lot of other stuff as 'news' is a popular word. Maybe change it to #news when you post it? that would make it easier to search out.

It hasn't been delayed. When Disney announced it in 2011, they just got the deal with Cameron done. Very little design work had been completed. Fast forward to January 2014 construction starts after 3ish years of design work. Now Summer 2017 will mark about 3.5 years of construction time.

Think of Star Wars. Disney buys Star Wars in 2012. Plans are immediately started for more Star Wars in the parks. We don't get an official SWL announcement until 2015. Three years of design work again. Construction begins April 2016, we are looking at right now a late 2019 opening. 3-3.5 years of construction again.

Yeah, but when Universal can buy rights in 2007 and open a land by 2010...

You can already do it as is.

At the top right of the thread, click on the search bar. Search this thread only for "news", and threads newer than "whatever date you want" and search. That should work. Might trip up that NEWS is only 4 letters, some forums require 5.

But does the search also allow for formatted text searching? Otherwise it will pull up every single post that has the word news in it. Would it pull up this post, which is not news at all?

Edit: Submitted my post a couple seconds after yours was posted hahah.

Pretty sure groundbreaking for Animal Kingdom happened in 1995. Then it opened in April of 1998. Pretty much 3 years for an entire park. It's been, what, 6 years for this one land? Not saying the length of construction means the land is delayed, but it sure feels that way. If they have/had the capabilities to build an entire park in 3 years...double that for a land is pretty disappointing.

I would hate to see you add links to the first post. That would just be tedious. If there was some kind of tagging method where you can set a link on the first post that essentially says, "search all posts within this thread that has the word News. That would be much easier. But I don't know if the boards search feature can also breakdown format. So that any post that just says "news" isn't pulled.

Am I making sense? I feel like I'm not explaining this the best that I can.
Epcot was built in 2 years I believe. Its unfortunate but this is the Disney we live with today. Construction takes longer. I am not sure how long the design process was for AK so my guess is it was longer than 3 years. Could very well have been 6 as well.

I think I get what you're saying now. I don't think I am able to do that though. If I am I just don't know how.

Yeah, but when Universal can buy rights in 2007 and open a land by 2010...
True, and I am not trying to stuck up for Disney here but things take time. I believe with the Universal Potter deal they had to show their plans to JK as part of the bidding wars. Disney had Potter plans drawn up as well. So design work was underway when the deal was signed.

True, and I am not trying to stuck up for Disney here but things take time. I believe with the Universal Potter deal they had to show their plans to JK as part of the bidding wars. Disney had Potter plans drawn up as well. So design work was underway when the deal was signed.

Even if they did, the 2nd land was done by 2014, and I'm sure that wasn't preplanned til they saw how the 1st land did...4 years is also shorter than 6...

Agree with @rteetz here - the problem with Avatarland is they announced it the second the deal was done. There was ZERO design work at that point. Most of the time they don't announce these things until construction starts. Think Star Wars land = construction (being tear-down) really just started early this year - and announcement was only last year....but they had been working on the design elements of the land since buying Lucasfilm....meaning since 2012. So 2012 to 2015 was design - now 2016-2019 construction = 3 years. This is similar timeline to new Fantasyland (about 3 years for construction).

So 6 years seems like a long time, but from start of concept to completion its pretty standard for Disney - and 2017 has been the target date since construction started.

Now you can argue that it takes Disney much too long in the construction phase for these new lands - and that may well be the case. But I would say Avatarland is pretty much "on pace" for Disney's normal timelines.

Edit: OH and I have no issues with the way this thread is set up. Agree highlighting the NEWS items is the way to go. No to an "Index" at the beginning. Too much work. There's a separate thread for "major projects".

Even if they did, the 2nd land was done by 2014, and I'm sure that wasn't preplanned til they saw how the 1st land did...4 years is also shorter than 6...

Universal also had the "Phase 2" plans underway well before "Phase 1" was opened. But yeah, Universal is generally faster with these things than Disney is.

Another thing to point out on the Avatar issues - they had the notoriously finicky and slow James Cameron to deal with. Look at how long it's taking him to work on the Avatar sequel, it's been what 8 YEARS and they're finally going to shoot next year? I'd say dealing with him they're probably lucky they got it done THIS quickly.

I just tried it....it does work but includes a lot of other stuff as 'news' is a popular word. Maybe change it to #news when you post it? that would make it easier to search out.

So I just tried this but realized that it will also return posts where the searched keyword exists in the quote. (e.g. I searched "even if they did, the 2nd land was done by 2014" for just this thread and both TwoMisfits original post was returned as well as skier_pete's post where he quoted the original post).

So using that search function would work if there was a way to only display the original post, and negate a returned result in which the searched keyword exists within a quote.

@rteetz just mentioning you in this thread so you see it, before you plan to attempt to implement anything.

This is smart, as Universal is limited as to what they can do because of their neighbors. Essentially, fireworks on a Disney scale are out except for special events.

I used to live just north of Universal property. (The large development of 70s looking wood condos near Kirkman and Vineland Roads, for those who know the area.) Those residences pre-date the Universal theme parks. Although nothing done while I lived there bothered me greatly, there were a few members of the condo association who fought Universal on everything via the planning commission. They were all retirees, so it's conceivable that some owned their units longer than the parks had been in existence.

Fireworks and anything that required a variance from the existing building code/zoning were always fought. It's a much different set-up from what Disney enjoys with Reedy Creek.

Adding my appreciation to everyone else's, Ryan. I love having this thread to catch up on the news and rumors and having new items bolded really helps call my attention to those. I don't typically read the other threads on this board so it also helps me when you (Ryan) say, "Hey I already started a thread on x topic of news just released" so that I can go look for it.

As we near the years end this 2016 News Round Up thread will come to a close and a new one for 2017 will begin. I want to take this time over the next few weeks to thank all of those who have contributing into making this thread great. I also want to ask all of you for any tips, suggestions, comments, or concerns about possible changes for the 2017 version. If nothing needs to change that's fine too. I just want to see if there is anything people think that could make the 2017 thread even better.

Thanks,
Ryan

For the most part, I've enjoyed this thread just the way it's been. Ryan, I think you've done a fantastic job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter