News Round Up 2016

While I appreciate the focus on news and facts, someone has to say it.

The event last night was horrible. They clearly overplayed their cards. Had the wrong audience and projections on spaceship earth are very meh. And stop called the Advanced Weapons Research Troopers. They are Death Troopers.
From what I understand the projections did not look good on video but in person looked good. Most at the event were very happy with the projections.

Ryan, I like that you list NEWS first when posting about the news. I do not always have to time to go through everyone's posts. If I don;t have that much time I can scroll through quickly just looking for NEWS and reading those posts. You have done a great job. Thank you for putting this together.

Ryan, I like that you list NEWS first when posting about the news. I do not always have to time to go through everyone's posts. If I don;t have that much time I can scroll through quickly just looking for NEWS and reading those posts. You have done a great job. Thank you for putting this together.

Ryan, first I wanted to say how much I appreciate this thread and the work you put in to it - I love thinking/talking about Disney News and Rumors and this thread is a great place to do that and speculate - without going too far down the rabbit hole (well, generally, it is the internet after all)

I fully agree with Piglet1979 that having the news items stand out is very helpful. I notice this even more when there is a link as it shows up in different font color, etc. Maybe you could even marke "NEWS" in a different font/bold/etc so it stand out even more. Not a huge deal, just an idea. I love the conversation but clearly differentiating news and opinions I think is great

While I appreciate the focus on news and facts, someone has to say it.

The event last night was horrible. They clearly overplayed their cards. Had the wrong audience and projections on spaceship earth are very meh. And stop called the Advanced Weapons Research Troopers. They are Death Troopers.

Thanks for the input - I was wondering about it. Though you know the next time they announce a limited attendance event - especially with any buzz words like "star wars", "haunted mansion", "EPCOT", etc. it will still sell out in minutes.

I still think it is nice they do events like this with special aspects - but maybe do it as a free extra for DVC or AP holders or something

Check again. That's definitely overhead of Epcot and Magic Kingdom. The images along the bottom are just suggested places to check out - Miami being one of them.
Got it now, it only showed Miama from my phone but it shows WDW on my Mac.

The event last night was horrible.

It was awkward as hell. They kept pausing for applause or cheers when there wasn't any. Even Mads didn't seem to know why he was there. And then after all that talk, a super sub par, very dim, projection that had hardly any detail.

I would have been really bummed if I had actually attended this.

Thought that was a total gimme once they went to double night shows at DHS - they HAD to have a park take night visitors from MK...

And, so for next year, we have the long delayed AK park section opening, 1 family raft ride in a water park, and a new festival meant to make people buy more food and drink (with plenty of upcharge events), this year's new night show next year - get to claim that's new twice, and then a lot of upcharge experiences and mall stores/restaurants for 4 parks and 2 water parks...yeah! Base ticket holders should be feeling the love...

From this "new for 2017", we know there is...
Nothing new at MK
Nothing new at DHS
Nothing new at EPCOT, save ANOTHER paid food and drink festival to mask the oldness of the attractions and the emptiness of the closed buildings
Nothing at Blizzard Beach

Yes, yes, I know we get "scaled down" something in DHS in 2018, maybe...yeah?:)

As we near the years end this 2016 News Round Up thread will come to a close and a new one for 2017 will begin. I want to take this time over the next few weeks to thank all of those who have contributing into making this thread great. I also want to ask all of you for any tips, suggestions, comments, or concerns about possible changes for the 2017 version. If nothing needs to change that's fine too. I just want to see if there is anything people think that could make the 2017 thread even better.

Thanks,
Ryan

As others have said, love the thread. It's the main thread I check on the DisBoards.

My suggestion is to potentially look up a way to have a link within the first post to essentially filter the different types of posts people make. Similar to how you post News with certain posts, perhaps there is a way to actually tag the post, so a filtered search can be run?

Not sure if this type of functionality is even possible, but I figure it was worth mentioning.

As others have said, love the thread. It's the main thread I check on the DisBoards.

My suggestion is to potentially look up a way to have a link within the first post to essentially filter the different types of posts people make. Similar to how you post News with certain posts, perhaps there is a way to actually tag the post, so a filtered search can be run?

Not sure if this type of functionality is even possible, but I figure it was worth mentioning.
I am not exactly sure how I would do that but I could put links in the first post to news stories. I could break them down by month.

It's been 6 years for one land. Disney has never called it delayed, but fans sure feel like it is...so call it "long-gestating" to be nicer...
It hasn't been delayed. When Disney announced it in 2011, they just got the deal with Cameron done. Very little design work had been completed. Fast forward to January 2014 construction starts after 3ish years of design work. Now Summer 2017 will mark about 3.5 years of construction time.

Think of Star Wars. Disney buys Star Wars in 2012. Plans are immediately started for more Star Wars in the parks. We don't get an official SWL announcement until 2015. Three years of design work again. Construction begins April 2016, we are looking at right now a late 2019 opening. 3-3.5 years of construction again.

I am not exactly sure how I would do that but I could put links in the first post to news stories. I could break them down by month.
You can already do it as is.

At the top right of the thread, click on the search bar. Search this thread only for "news", and threads newer than "whatever date you want" and search. That should work. Might trip up that NEWS is only 4 letters, some forums require 5.

Long delayed? Avatar was not delayed yet at least.

Pretty sure groundbreaking for Animal Kingdom happened in 1995. Then it opened in April of 1998. Pretty much 3 years for an entire park. It's been, what, 6 years for this one land? Not saying the length of construction means the land is delayed, but it sure feels that way. If they have/had the capabilities to build an entire park in 3 years...double that for a land is pretty disappointing.

I would hate to see you add links to the first post. That would just be tedious. If there was some kind of tagging method where you can set a link on the first post that essentially says, "search all posts within this thread that has the word News. That would be much easier. But I don't know if the boards search feature can also breakdown format. So that any post that just says "news" isn't pulled.

Am I making sense? I feel like I'm not explaining this the best that I can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter