• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2016

Next step is for $250 a day they will give you a job on the construction crew. We will be paying Disney to build their rides for them.

not a bad idea - I know I'd be willing to pay some $ to then be able to say I helped build Star Wars land

Next step is for $250 a day they will give you a job on the construction crew. We will be paying Disney to build their rides for them.

Well, yeah, but at least you'll be one of the first to experience the ride. :D

Seriously though, this is what happens when people are so willing to shell out their cash for such non-special "special events" and "upgrades". The sad thing is it's only going to get worse.

The genius with these upsells is that they are tapping in to niche markets, and they only need a small number of people who are willing to pay to make it profitable. I may not like the Riverboat Ice Cream Social, but I *really* want to do the Highway in the Sky Dine Around. Other guests may not be able to resist the opportunity for a Star Wars Tour at DHS. It's kind of "reverse" NIMBY (Not In My Backyard). "I'm outraged at all those other upsells, but this one...well, how can I pass up this opportunity?" So, there is no collective outrage like there would be if they raised ticket prices.

The genius with these upsells is that they are tapping in to niche markets, and they only need a small number of people who are willing to pay to make it profitable. I may not like the Riverboat Ice Cream Social, but I *really* want to do the Highway in the Sky Dine Around. Other guests may not be able to resist the opportunity for a Star Wars Tour at DHS. It's kind of "reverse" NIMBY (Not In My Backyard). "I'm outraged at all those other upsells, but this one...well, how can I pass up this opportunity?" So, there is no collective outrage like there would be if they raised ticket prices.

That's why I don't really feel a lot of "outrage" about any of this - as long as it doesn't really affect MY vacation, then who cares. It's no different than the dessert parties or a fireworks cruise or whatever - they're all upsells. You buy them or you don't. In fact, it's preferrable that they make this extra money off others, so they don't have to worry about making as much off of ME.

In my view - the worst offender of ALL of these things is the MNSSHP/MVMCP, because those DO adversely affect my vacation. (Having 4 nights a week with MK closed to the public.) But they are beloved by hundreds of thousands even having raised prices 200 % in the last 10 years.

We've even made a game of it. At dinner we play "Guess the price". I tell her about a new event or perk at Disney, and she has to guess the price. She has gotten much better at the starting price, but the MK Cabanas threw her off - she started at $250 and it took her quite a while to get up to $650 dollars. I haven't told her about the Highway in the Sky Dine Around because I'm afraid she might want to do it.

I totally agree with this! I mean, folks are running around the internet acting as though Disney is now charging for something that used to be included with your Park ticket. They're not. They are tapping into niche markets like you said and you're getting something extra for the money you're paying. It's all subjective on whether or not it's "worth it." In my opinion, what they're doing with all of these "upsells" is BRILLIANT. When a business is able to do this in a way that has these exclusive things selling out as quickly as they have been, I think it's smart business.

And, I seem to remember a survey question earlier this year that asked people about paying money for more exclusive opportunities. I can't remember the exact wording of it, but it was basically asking if you'd pay more money to attend something out of the ordinary. My guess is that there were a lot of folks who said 'yes.'

I totally agree with this! I mean, folks are running around the internet acting as though Disney is now charging for something that used to be included with your Park ticket. They're not. They are tapping into niche markets like you said and you're getting something extra for the money you're paying. It's all subjective on whether or not it's "worth it." In my opinion, what they're doing with all of these "upsells" is BRILLIANT. When a business is able to do this in a way that has these exclusive things selling out as quickly as they have been, I think it's smart business.

And, I seem to remember a survey question earlier this year that asked people about paying money for more exclusive opportunities. I can't remember the exact wording of it, but it was basically asking if you'd pay more money to attend something out of the ordinary. My guess is that there were a lot of folks who said 'yes.'

All fair points, but when did riding Tower of Terror become something out of the ordinary?

To me, something out of the ordinary is riding Space Mountain with the lights on, or going through Haunted Mansion with the lights on. I'd probably sell out $20 bucks (and that's pushing it) to ride any ride with the lights on. That would be an out of the ordinary experience.

All fair points, but when did riding Tower of Terror become something out of the ordinary?

It's not just riding TOT - it's doing so for the last time. Same way they are offering a special event for the first performance of MSEP
Especially in Disneyland, this makes a lot of sense. People will be camping out all day in order to get in the final ride, so something like this eliminates at least a little bit of that line

It's not just riding TOT - it's doing so for the last time. Same way they are offering a special event for the first performance of MSEP
Especially in Disneyland, this makes a lot of sense. People will be camping out all day in order to get in the final ride, so something like this eliminates at least a little bit of that line

Maybe I don't see where the bragging rights come into play? The wording of the article says:

The event begins at 10:00 PM and goes until 1:00 AM on the eve before this attraction’s final day in operation.

So there are going to be people that are able to ride this ride after the people during the party. I think a better way to look at it is:

"Is $95 to not wait in line worth it?"

Maybe the price is just too steep for me to see any real value in it? I mean, based on the breakdown of what you get...

• Enjoyment of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror in its original version for the duration of the party - ok you get to ride Tower of Terror as many times as you want
  • Dessert buffet, coffee, soda and water - cupcakes, cookies, etc...how many sweets can you possibly eat if you're going to be jostling yourself around for 3 hours?
  • Entertainment provided by a debonair emcee and the plucky Silver Lake Sisters - while it seems like a nice to have, I would rather pay less and not have an emcee than pay more for one.
  • Special photo locations - Like...inside the lobby? Or are they just going to have extra PhotoPass people around?
  • Signature non-alcoholic beverages and cocktails for an additional cost - Additional Cost
  • Commemorative keepsake available for purchase - Additional Cost
  • One of the last opportunities to purchase Twilight Zone Tower of Terror merchandise - Additional Cost
Maybe if they threw the Commemorative keepsake in with the price I would think differently?

To each their own. I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to (or actually) doing it. The price just seems a bit too up there.

News

New Ducktales photo released. Series starts Summer 2017.

https://d23.com/breaking-news-from-duckburg-new-ducktales-image-revealed/?share_token=0d685840cd

I can't wait!
CAN'T WAIT! But if you follow the track record of Disney television in the past few years, we have every right to wory
I'll say the same thing I said when they announced "The Muppets Present...Great Moments in American History":

Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck.
Please don't suck, please don't suck , please don't suck.

I find a lot of people get upset about what they think might happen rather than what officially is announced by Disney. So when they announce the extra paid hours people immediately jumped to the thought that it means the end of EMH

CAN'T WAIT! But if you follow the track record of Disney television in the past few years, we have every right to wory
Please don't suck, please don't suck , please don't suck.

While I agree with you, I do give them a lot of credit due to the fact that they allowed Gravity Falls to happen. They allowed the multiple hiatuses (hiati?) throughout the run, and it never seemed like they pressured Alex Hirsch. They let him do his thing.

I find a lot of people get upset about what they think might happen rather than what officially is announced by Disney. So when they announce the extra paid hours people immediately jumped to the thought that it means the end of EMH
Same thing with the busing, many people including myself wondered if this would take buses away from the buses currently being used meaning longer lines or waits.

That's why I don't really feel a lot of "outrage" about any of this - as long as it doesn't really affect MY vacation, then who cares. It's no different than the dessert parties or a fireworks cruise or whatever - they're all upsells. You buy them or you don't. In fact, it's preferrable that they make this extra money off others, so they don't have to worry about making as much off of ME.

In my view - the worst offender of ALL of these things is the MNSSHP/MVMCP, because those DO adversely affect my vacation. (Having 4 nights a week with MK closed to the public.) But they are beloved by hundreds of thousands even having raised prices 200 % in the last 10 years.

We've even made a game of it. At dinner we play "Guess the price". I tell her about a new event or perk at Disney, and she has to guess the price. She has gotten much better at the starting price, but the MK Cabanas threw her off - she started at $250 and it took her quite a while to get up to $650 dollars. I haven't told her about the Highway in the Sky Dine Around because I'm afraid she might want to do it.

This is the worst part... All of these "add-ons" or "a la carte / state fair / carnival" pricing models are hurting everyone else's experience. Bottom line is, it devalues the original high ticket / admission price. The devaluation is extremely small. So small most people won't even notice or care; but, it is still devalued none the less. The problem is, the more "add on" options there are, the more they add up and are more noticeable to other guest. Most of these "add-on's" include prime viewing locations or some sort of preferential treatment over other guest. When prime viewing locations are taken away from the general admission guest or park resources are diverted to cater to a small group of people it devalues the experience for all other guest. It's not that the "up-sells" aren't adversely affecting your vacation because they undeniably are; it's just they haven't bothered you enough to really complain. That slight devaluation of the general admission doesn't mean much to the average guest; but that devaluation means a lot to WDW when applied to millions of guest throughout the year.

Same thing with the busing, many people including myself wondered if this would take buses away from the buses currently being used meaning longer lines or waits.

exactly - and maybe it will but there is enough actual stuff going wrong in the world I don't think we need to flip out about stuff that might happen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter