News Round Up 2016

You know, I'm all about progress, but I don't see the need to actually giver her a girlfriend to make a statement about diversity. Most of the times it doesn't even feel authentic when companies do that sort of thing. If its subtle like How to Train Your Dragon then I don't think it's a big deal though.

She doesn't even have to have a love interest whatsoever, as far as I am concerned.

I also understood one of the big drivers of Frozen's success was that it was about familial love (sisters) as opposed to romantic love and thus younger children could relate to it more.

Personally I'd like them to stick with that angle and not give Elsa a love interest at all

Disney does own A&E so that would add some content.

I posted this in a different thread a little while ago, but this is what the Arts & Entertainment Networks own:

A&E Network
  • A&E
  • Crime & Investigation Network
  • fyi
History Network
  • History
  • History en Espanol
  • Military History
Lifetime Entertainment Services
  • Lifetime
  • LMN
  • Lifetime Real Women
Other
  • Viceland
So all of that plus ABC and it's family stations, ESPN and it's family stations, Disney channel and it's family stations, Disney movies, Pixar movies, Marvel movies, plus more I'm probably missing. That's a lot of content!

Last edited:
I posted this in a different thread a little while ago, but there is what the Arts & Entertainment owns:

A&E Network
  • A&E
  • Crime & Investigation Network
  • fyi
History Network
  • History
  • History en Espanol
  • Military History
Lifetime Entertainment Services
  • Lifetime
  • LMN
  • Lifetime Real Women
Other
  • Viceland
So all of that plus ABC and it's family stations, ESPN and it's family stations, Disney channel and it's family stations, Disney movies, Pixar movies, Marvel movies, plus more I'm probably missing. That's a lot of content!

But is it any good content? A lot of people have 200 channels and watch 15, at most. On the above list from A&E, I watch none of those channels.

pirate: Once again in find myself squarely on the other side of "most". pirate: It's where I fit in life! pirate:Hakuna matata! pirate:
I also don't have an interest in the Halloween party, and would love to do the Christmas party this year if there was more to it,,,+/-$100 is a little steep for a cup of lukewarm cocoa and some tasteless cookies. So, I'm thinking that for our trip, on MVMCP nights, we'll be spending our evenings elsewhere.

But is it any good content? A lot of people have 200 channels and watch 15, at most. On the above list from A&E, I watch none of those channels.

You raise a good point but I think it's all just personal preference. My mom and sister watch all those real life crime shows all the time (not sure if it's this Crime & Investigation Channel...could be the ID Channel).

A&E does have a few somewhat long running programs like:
  • After the First 48 (2008 - present)
  • The First 48 (2004 - present)
  • Hoarders (2009 - 2013, 2016 - present)
  • Intervention (2005 - present)
  • Storage Wars (2010 - present)

I don't watch any of the Lifetime Channels, but there's definitely a market for it.

If they ended up partnering with AMC Networks that would be pretty cool, they have some great content.

Also, I forgot to add in my original post that they have that partnership with TCM, so I wonder if there would be some crossover content from there as well (not sure if that's even possible).

I also understood one of the big drivers of Frozen's success was that it was about familial love (sisters) as opposed to romantic love and thus younger children could relate to it more.

Personally I'd like them to stick with that angle and not give Elsa a love interest at all

I agree. Personally, can't come up with a scenario in which it makes sense to go that route, other than to simply pander to a crowd that is petitioning for diversity of this type in lots of movies. I saw a similar campaign to add a gay or lesbian character to the next Star Wars movie.

While I sympathize with folks desire to see characters they can relate to, I have never had to know the orientation of a character in order to identify with them or enjoy them. Chewbaca, Yoda, Darth Maul, and most other characters never even broach the topic. Honestly, the romance between Han and Leia, Jabba's love for women in skimpy clothes, and the fact Anakin had a child with Padme are just about the only callouts to sexual orientation over the past 7 movies. In a time when people are fighting over whelming evil and defending their home planets from annihilation, is that really the time to make sure everyone knows who you want to kiss?

If the movie had a different tone, and was more about the political strife and bias in the universe, then a storyline like that might help flesh out the story. Otherwise it is simply pandering.

I also tend to feel that a Disney animated movie isn't the place to try this. I can't speak for other kids, but I wasn't thinking about crushes or any of that until middle school. A bulk of Elsa's little fans are 3-9 year olds. Even if some of those little princesses grow up to like other princesses, they aren't thinking about this at age 5. A more teenage movie would be the place to explore this.

Either way, a big pat on the back to everyone who has discussed the topic so far for keeping everything mature. I'm sure the moment that link got posted, Ryan prepared launch for the "shut down topic" torpedo =)

Either way, a big pat on the back to everyone who has discussed the topic so far for keeping everything mature. I'm sure the moment that link got posted, Ryan prepared launch for the "shut down topic" torpedo =)

I'm sure there's still time for it to get all turned around :)

Yes I am happy how the topic has been handled. If things started to go the way I originally thought action would've been taken.

IMO Elsa without a love interest is almost more progressive than Elsa with a girlfriend.

If there comes a time where there is a gay character in a Disney movie, it needs to be organic, integrated into the story, and actually of some value to LGBT children - not just giving an existing character a same-sex love interest. This hashtag idea is stupid and short-sighted, and I say that as a gay person. If Disney is going to risk the moral outrage and inevitable backlash and create a gay character, I would prefer to see a fully fleshed-out authentic character whose existence creates positive change in the world. Not just 'give Elsa a girlfriend'.

Actually, for Frozen 2, I was hoping Disney would explore a bit of an Elsa-Olaf Snow-mance.

Decisions decisions...

Will be there during Halloween parties. However, for the price of Halloween party entrance for the 4 of us, I can do a day at Universal... hmmmm....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter