News Round Up 2016

IMO Elsa without a love interest is almost more progressive than Elsa with a girlfriend.

If there comes a time where there is a gay character in a Disney movie, it needs to be organic, integrated into the story, and actually of some value to LGBT children - not just giving an existing character a same-sex love interest. This hashtag idea is stupid and short-sighted, and I say that as a gay person. If Disney is going to risk the moral outrage and inevitable backlash and create a gay character, I would prefer to see a fully fleshed-out authentic character whose existence creates positive change in the world. Not just 'give Elsa a girlfriend'.

Some have argued that the movie is already a coded LGBT reference. She's "special" and the family keeps her hidden away, preventing her from being herself. Personally I think the message was intended to be broader than that, but it applies.

She didn't show much in the way of romantic interest in the first movie so it wouldn't be that hard to write something like that in organically. Or at least as much as anything in a movie is organic.

IDK - not a fan of the idea of using a Disney animated cartoon to push an agenda, even if it is a good/valid one like this. The problem with making an animated Disney film with a lesbian Princess is that this would rapidly overshadow the story being told in the movie, and it would be very, very difficult to make it feel organic to the story. A smarter move to me is to do something similar to as people pointed out with HTTYD2 (which I thought was pretty obvious that they were indicating the character was gay). In other words, have a gay character but don't center the story around the character being gay - as is typical with a princess story in which the story revolves at least partly around falling in love - Frozen worked well as a sisterly story, but still the center of the story was Anna and her relationship to Hans and Kristoff.

I suppose right now you could say "Elsa is Gay" and it doesn't change the story at all. However, if you have a added a scene in the movie where Elsa comes out, it doesn't add anything to movie and again would merely distract from what the movie is trying to say - which IS the message of tolerance that those in support of this idea are trying to bolster.

Again, I circle back to that animated kids movies are not the place to push agendas of any kind. (I don't want to see white supremacy or WWII genocide represented in my Disney movie either.)

And I feel if they did do this for Frozen 2 it really would just be to push an agenda .... if it was something much more organic then fine, but to do it here would seem like doing it just to do it

Personally I think the first step Disney would take would be a gay character in something like High School Musical (or whatever the next thing like that would be)

It hasn't been selling well at all. They have been giving it away for free because of this.

IMHO, there is a demographic problem. Morning hours should do well since there is a heavy demand for PPO dining and the mad dash at rope drop. The after hours at MK just doesn't seem to have the same demand. Therefore the hours vs. price point just don't match. It just is too late for most young kids whose focus is MK. I wonder if they have considered trying the after hours at a park that targeted an older age bracket. For example, after hours at DHS. RNR, ToT, and Toy Story with no wait along with some magic auto-sell Star Wars event sound like it would sell out that time bracket a lot easier than MK (Especially when you consider the time savings in waiting in line.)

IMHO, there is a demographic problem. Morning hours should do well since there is a heavy demand for PPO dining and the mad dash at rope drop. The after hours at MK just doesn't seem to have the same demand. Therefore the hours vs. price point just don't match. It just is too late for most young kids whose focus is MK. I wonder if they have considered trying the after hours at a park that targeted an older age bracket. For example, after hours at DHS. RNR, ToT, and Toy Story with no wait along with some magic auto-sell Star Wars event sound like it would sell out that time bracket a lot easier than MK (Especially when you consider the time savings in waiting in line.)
I don't think it has to do with the demographics. There are plenty of teens, young adults, and older adults that would be interested in after hours at MK. I think a lot of it has to do with the price point. Why pay $150 for 3 hours of no lines when I can pay less than that for a full day at the park. Yes that full day has lines but there are plenty of ways to minimize your time in line.

Maybe, I still would not be shocked to see the morning one stick. Any clue on how those sales are going? The other problem with MK is I imagine you have to keep a lot more people, have a lot more rides, and make it 3 hours. You probably could cut a DHS one to 2 hours and the price in half. Shelve most of the shows but add a dark side desert party with both sweets and adult beverages. Have Kylo, Darth Vader, and Darth Maul in attendance along with Star Tours, Tower of Terror, RNR Coaster, and Toy Story Midway Mania open.

Maybe, I still would not be shocked to see the morning one stick. Any clue on how those sales are going? The other problem with MK is I imagine you have to keep a lot more people, have a lot more rides, and make it 3 hours. You probably could cut a DHS one to 2 hours and the price in half. Shelve most of the shows but add a dark side desert party with both sweets and adult beverages. Have Kylo, Darth Vader, and Darth Maul in attendance along with Star Tours, Tower of Terror, RNR Coaster, and Toy Story Midway Mania open.
I honestly haven't seen much regarding the morning one.

I don't think it has to do with the demographics. There are plenty of teens, young adults, and older adults that would be interested in after hours at MK. I think a lot of it has to do with the price point. Why pay $150 for 3 hours of no lines when I can pay less than that for a full day at the park. Yes that full day has lines but there are plenty of ways to minimize your time in line.

I agree. I think Disney just missed the supply and demand price point.

Morning Magic = $73.50 = 98 cents per minute
3 rides
breakfast
75 exclusive minutes
All Day Ticket required

After Hours = 158.60 = 88 cents per minute
26 rides
snacks
180 exclusive minutes (at least 180 non-exclusive minutes)
NO additional ticket required

On paper the numbers look extremely good, nighttime is a better value, but supply and demand just don't always work the way the numbers show. I think if Disney would have started at the $75-$99 price point and sold out the event, they could have had the ability to raise the price due to demand. I not sure it was a valid move to price this event higher than MNSSHP and MVMCP initially if they were looking for the event to have traction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter