Is it weird to do character meets as an adult with no children?

I could see how the workers would appreciate adults visiting without the possibilities of sticky hands or crying!
Everyone here says everyone's a kid at Disney but I've read blogs and reviews from people complaining about how annoying and childish it is to see just adults with characters. I guess haters gonna hate!

I love character meals and I have always done them without children. The character meals are one of the highlights of my trip.

I don't think it's weird to do them as an adult. It's part of being at Disney! Plus as far as I see it, it's your vacation so do what you want to do.

Plus I knew someone who worked as a and said that adults in her line were a breath of fresh air. They could joke around a little more than they can usually do with kids.

I posted this in a thread discussing adults and character interaction a few months back but I will share it here as well:

My sister and I (both 30) went to Disney World for the first time last year for our B-days.

We too were quite apprehensive about visiting with the characters due to our age but we definitely had a blast with MOST of our interactions.

The Good:

We met Chip and Dale in their western attire. We did the standard hugs etc. and Dale gave me a kiss and the handler asked me which 'munk was my favourite and I joked and said Dale of course as he was the only one that gave me a kiss. Chip then quickly turned around and paused with his hands on his hips and then started to elaborately strut over to my direction and once he reached me dipped me over and gave me a very drawn out kiss much to the amusement of everyone watching.

We met with Cinderella before going up to our reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table. She was very talkative to us. At the time I was wearing this white cap and she went on about how she liked it and perhaps she could make one for Gus etc. Once upstairs we met with Snow White, Rapunzel, Ariel and Aurora all of whom stayed and chatted for a bit. Rapunzel and my sister had a conversation about Pascal, Ariel talked about my sisters shell barrette in her hair, Aurora remarked that for a 30th birthday we would need a cake the size of the room and Snow White scolded me at one point during the "wishes" part of the evening (you are supposed to keep your eyes closed and wave your magic wand etc.) but I had my eyes open feeling a bit foolish about it and she saw me and pointed and said "uh-uh, keep them closed!" and I quickly complied. :)

We met with Pooh and Tigger outside the 100-Acre Wood Ride and they were fun. Tigger was very energetic and goofy, he made us stay for extra hugs and a bouncing competition (which he won). We also met with Pooh, Tigger, Eyeore and Piglet at Crystal Palace which was good, they made a lot of time for extra pictures and didn't make us feel rushed or anything.

We met with the Fab-5 at Chef Mickey's and once again everything was good. The characters came around to see us twice. My sister wanted to take a selfie with Goofy who zooming in his face on the camera (we have several pictures of just his nose lol). Once again we didn't feel rushed or anything. We actually asked if Donald could come to see us a third time as our photos for the first 2 encounters were pretty blurry and it wasn't an issue.

We also met talking Mickey in Magic Kingsom, Belle in Epcot, Mexican Donald in Epcot, Daisy in Animal Kingdom, Stitch in Typhoon Lagoon, Mickey, Goofy and Minnie in Epcot and Safari Mickey and Minnie in Animal Kingdom all of which were good and at no point were we made to feel awkward. (there may have been more characters actually)

The bad:

We were visiting Aladdin and Jasmine in Epcot and after we got our pictures I was pushed away by the gentleman playing Aladdin. I'm still not entirely sure if it was intentional but I was soured by it nonetheless. It seemed like they were trying to speed things up.

We did an Akershus dinner and while the princesses there were nice and did stop for pictures there was no small talk, just a quick "would you like a photo" and then off. It was very busy though so that likely had to do with it.

I am not only an adult, but a solo adult. I have done both character meals and meet & greets. At best, I have great character interactions (which is 99.99999% of the time). At the worst, they are friendly and polite and take a photo with me. I have never had a negative experience or felt strange about it. It's Disney! Everyone is a kid!

A few years ago we had a big family trip. Only kids that were in the party was my 2 nephews. Most days we were broken into smaller groups and it was my parents and one of my sisters. My sister and I have plenty of photos with characters. It was so much fun. My husband even had photos with characters like Donald in Mexico. Who cares if you don't have kids I know I don't. This dec my husband and I are leaving our son who will be 14 months and going alone and I plan on taking photos with certain characters.

I will be solo for teo days next week. I really want to do some character photos but I homestly dont want to make too much small talk. Would his still work for me.

I had a few character photos and will be back in two weeks happy to have a few more...I stick to the classics though...outdoors and definitely no princesses...as that would be a bit weird ... the cast members use my own camera by the way...they're always helpful and I ask for a landscape and portrait shot...just to double up

I love meeting characters. I met Russell and Dug from Up and had a grape soda pin on. Russell kept pointing at it and then to himself. I said "No Russell that is my Ellie badge." Met Mr. Incredible and Frozone last year at HS. This was during the Frozen fever they had going on. Frozone had this paper fan with Olaf on it and he took my sharpie and was changing frozen to frozone. And he loved it when I said he was cooler than Olaf lol. When I met Daisy at the circus meet and greet they have in Fantasyland, I was talking to the CM about going to lunch later at BOG. Daisy heard this and wanted to come. I told her she could but she had to pay. She shook her head no and then pointed to Donald across the way. She wanted him to pay but not come with us.

My favorite face character meet was at DL with Captain America. He was nice and funny. When he asked what ride we were doing next and I told him Big Thunder. He said that was Thor's favorite ride and made me laugh. He asked who my favorite Avenger was and of course I said him and then I said after him I liked Hawkeye. He looked at me for a second and said "ok I'll give you that one." I got Cap's approval.

Hubby and I went during Food and Wine about 6 years ago. We happened to get free dining at the time and decided to do Akershus. We had a blast. The princesses were so funny and joking with us about leaving our kids home. We got some great photos of me and Sleeping Beauty giggling together. It was a cute time and we didn't feel awkward at all.

Just wondering if anyone on here goes to meet any of the characters in the parks without children. I haven't ever really done so myself but was thinking about it next time I go. The first time I went to WDW I was 19 so I've never really done any. Do you feel like you're being judged negatively for it?

I've never had an issue. I've done dozens of character meets by myself, and people usually are so wrapped up in their own agenda, that they don't notice you.

I did a quick search online which came up with a few blog posts from people saying its annoying and should be left for the kids.

From the big cheese himself: "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." ~Walt Disney. Those people are just bitter that they don't get to come by themselves and do whatever they want.

How were the interactions with the characters?

Speaking as someone who was ahem... very good friends with a few of the characters... adults are the most fun to interact with. Kids are usually scared/sticky/awkward, adults can actually have a conversation and take unique posed pictures. Much more fun!

I did my first character meet as an adult, going solo when my DH was occupied with something else back at our resort. I admit I felt a little awkward, standing in line by myself along with parents and their small children. However, when it was actually my turn I had a blast! Although Chip and Dale don't speak, I fed them questions and lines they could react to. Boy did they! I asked them where I should eat lunch, pulling out my map. I have a terrific picture of them pointing and looking at the map that I'm holding. They rubbed their tummies and pretended to follow me. The encounter was taking so long because it was so fun that their handler started getting agitated. Chip and Dale ignored her and kept at it. For people that don't want a lot of interaction, just a photo please, you can do a quick pose and leave. I've got one of those, too. However, forcing myself out of my comfort zone into this solo character greet was a highlight of the trip.

Honestly, it's Disney. People approach it in a wide variety of ways to maximize their fun with no judgment unless there is a meltdown, scooter/stroller selfishness, or drunkenness that turns obnoxious involved.

I am an older (cough cough) person. I met Tinker bell last year and have some wonderful photos from that. My husband was off on tower of terror
She was lovely and complimented me on my neon green shirt .

P's I am in my 50s

On my last trip to Disney I was 21 and did the princess m&g's where they were before new fantasyland opened and it was fine, nobody was rude to me or anything like that. When I was there it was Belle, Jasmine, and Aurora. So if you like it, do it. :D

My sis loves the character interactions and photos. No I never did them as a kid and felt very awkward 1st times as adult...didn't think it was my thing. Now I luv them. They are so in character. We are in our 50's. No body better be judging US princesses! Go have fun!

No one will, and if they do, who cares? You should be too busy having fun to worry about what other people are thinking.

Last time I went with DS22, he was 15. I had MORE fun than he did! At Epcot, we were waiting to see Stitch. When it was our turn, I RAN up to see him! I have this amazing photo of Stitch and I hugging. I had even dropped my camera because I was so excited! Best time of my life and I can't wait to be 42 and getting pictures of myself and the Disney crew again!

image060.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter