Is it weird to do character meets as an adult with no children?

I leave in two short weeks (yay!) for my 50th birthday trip and I have 5 character meals planned (if you include meeting the Beast at the end of BOG dinner). And it's just me and my 47 year old DBF.

I've gotten my picture made with a couple characters over the years but have mostly taken pics of my friend's kids with them. So this trip I decided that I am meeting the characters and having my picture taken with them. It's something I've always wanted to do but felt a bit weird about but I'm going to try to put that feeling aside and enjoy the experience.

What about adults getting autographs? Is that too weird? I will be making a big scrapbook from my trip snd think the autographs would look really cute on the pages with the photos.

I leave in two short weeks (yay!) for my 50th birthday trip and I have 5 character meals planned (if you include meeting the Beast at the end of BOG dinner). And it's just me and my 47 year old DBF.

I've gotten my picture made with a couple characters over the years but have mostly taken pics of my friend's kids with them. So this trip I decided that I am meeting the characters and having my picture taken with them. It's something I've always wanted to do but felt a bit weird about but I'm going to try to put that feeling aside and enjoy the experience.

What about adults getting autographs? Is that too weird? I will be making a big scrapbook from my trip snd think the autographs would look really cute on the pages with the photos.

It's not weird at all! I was there for the Princess Half Marathon weekend and had the princesses sign my race bib.

It can be weird if the handler is weird. I was 32 and a solo travelers at the time and I had many pictures taken with characters and there was just one oddity. I waited on a very short line at HS to meet Woody and Buzz and Woody's handler asked me where my family was. When I told him that I was traveling by myself on this trip, he could not understand why a solo adult traveling without a family would come to Disney World. He could not understand why I was there at all - as a solo. Thankfully, I was totally fine with being a solo and was having a fantastic time so I didn't let the guy bother me. But I did find it odd that he kept asking questions like "isn't it weird to be here without family?" All of the characters were fantastic though so one bad apple didn't spoil my trip :)

NO and I'll tell you why. You pay the same price to enter that park as everyone else so therefore you are entitled to all of the experiences that park has to offer. I am 62 and my wife is 61. We do the character dining, stand in line to meet the characters and get autographs. I make no excuse for wanted to feel like a kid again and you shouldn't either. Always take pleasure in your Disney experience and stay young in your heart. That is why my wife and I travel down there every year. We call it "getting our youth on".

In my experience, having an autograph book is a great ice breaker with the characters! The book gives you an intro as you approach the character, and by the time they're done signing, or even in the middle of it, they will have initiated some sort of conversation or interaction with you. It's a great way for both you and the character to have a few moments to figure out what to say (or mime, for the furs).

I'm a passholder and almost always go solo, but the characters are one of my favorite parts, and I'll soon be starting my own scrapbook of autographs and photos.

I like the idea of using the autograph book as an icebreaker. I'm looking forward to interacting with the characters. I'm normally a shy person so I'm hoping this helps me come out of my shell a bit and have some tun.

Absolutely, enjoy all the characters you can manage to meet. It is just us, no kids and we always do at least one character meal each trip! Doing the new Garden Grill breakfast in a few weeks can't wait. I just love Chip n Dale they are such fun. We have done all the meals at WDW over the years and on our first trip to DL last year we did all the character meals available, what a blast!

I have found that the characters seem to enjoy interacting with "big kids" for a change. It gives them the chance to do something different.

It's not weird at all! I was there for the Princess Half Marathon weekend and had the princesses sign my race bib.

Thank you for this idea! I'm now going to have characters sign my W&D bib!

I feel weird about seeing the characters solo as well so this is a good ice breaker and an awesome idea!

You might think of it as helping out the kids. I was with a character once and noticed that the back of his "neck" had folded out and looked a little "off". I quietly called his handler over and pointed it out to her. She was able to get it nicely smoothed out without anyone noticing and thanked me profusely for pointing it out. I've done many a character greeting both before and after that one incident, but since then, I'll admit that I kind of look forward to character meet and greets to be sure "all's in order".

Thank you for this idea! I'm now going to have characters sign my W&D bib!

I feel weird about seeing the characters solo as well so this is a good ice breaker and an awesome idea!

It is! Having a bib or a medal is a great ice breaker. 99.99% of characters (even non-speaking ones) will make a big deal about it and ask you questions. Non-speaking characters will do charades!

Is there any adults who meet Marie from The Aristocats at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot? I'm a 19 year old boy with Asperger's syndrome who is currently beginning my first year at a community college. And I remember crying my eyes out with joy after I meet Marie during my Senior Trip and I was 18 at the time (The Trip was from April 28 - May 2) . That experience still gets to me when ever I think about it.

Last edited:
Marie is so sweet! I had a great time meeting her! Aristocats was the first movie I ever bought with my own money when I was little and it has always been one of my favorites.

Another thing I like to do is Disneybounding - or dressing similar to the characters - which is another great ice breaker and makes for some really fun photos. :)

Here's my picture with Marie as an example:

20150822_131337.jpg

Is there any adults who meet Marie from The Aristocats at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot? I'm a 19 year old boy with Asperger's syndrome who is currently beginning my first year at a community college. And I remember crying my eyes out with joy after I meet Marie during my Senior Trip and I was 18 at the time (The Trip was from April 28 - May 2) . That experience still gets to me when ever I think about it.

There are adults who meet everyone! Actually, Marie is one of the characters that is out during the Princess Half Marathon.

Just wanted to say I met Beast at BOG this year and he was a very gracious host. It was fun getting pics with him.

I've never done autographs before but I'd really like to take something like a DVD case or CD booklet next year for Phineas and Ferb to sign, just for fun.

There are adults who meet everyone! Actually, Marie is one of the characters that is out during the Princess Half Marathon.
What she's out during the Princess Half Marathon? I wonder what area she is usually spotted at and when is the marathon usually held?

brb going to look for video footage of that marathon.

What she's out during the Princess Half Marathon? I wonder what area she is usually spotted at and when is the marathon usually held?

brb going to look for video footage of that marathon.

It's in February. She is usually in France. It could be the 10K...or the half...or both. I honestly can't remember, because I do both!

I really wouldn't worry about that :-) My last trip was in May 2015 with my friend - we were both 26 and we queued to meet so many of the characters and we actually had some really hilarious conversations with them.
I like to think it's more interesting for them to speak to grown ups! You are never too old!

I'm 24 and met Marie at the Magic Kingdom last October! There is no age limit on meeting characters! And when I am going back, my dad and I are doing two character meals! Disney is unlike any other place in the world in the sense that, when you're there, you're a child again and you feel like it. Except in Epcot when you explore the bars. That's a whole different story.

I'm 24 and met Marie at the Magic Kingdom last October! There is no age limit on meeting characters! And when I am going back, my dad and I are doing two character meals! Disney is unlike any other place in the world in the sense that, when you're there, you're a child again and you feel like it. Except in Epcot when you explore the bars. That's a whole different story.
How did meeting Marie go? Also I noticed that the characters get the best reactions with older guests and even young ones. I once made Marie very flattered and started flirting with me during my third visit last May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter