Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Summer 2017 (replaces ToT)

Awwwww, man.... Sad. :sad: This is a favourite for our family. We repeat the dialogue word for word during the year when we are missing DL.

I am extremely bummed because Twilight Zone is one of my all time fave shows and I LOVE the ride and the themeing of the haunted hotel regardless if it is Twilight Zone or not. But the biggest thing I see is it just won't fit. They spent all that money to re-theme the park to the 20's and this just doesn't work. Personally I am not a huge superhero or marvel fan and I am fine with them having it but not replacing what is already there. I get that a lot of people like it and it will be nice for boys to have more things that cater to them (as well as girls) but one of the things I have always loved about Disney was the quaint old fashioned feeling of it. Having a futuristic area where it belongs like Tomorrowland or better a 3rd gate is awesome but trying to squeeze it in where it doesn't fit makes no sense to me.

I am turning 42. This isn't a generational thing. I am the demographic they're chasing for GotG as are my husband and my social circle. They're pursuing the comic geeks, there are lots of us and yes, we spend plenty of money.

You know, though, I'm also the target audience for this but I don't really like it. I'm an older comic book fan and love the GotG movie, but I also love the ToT (and The Twilight Zone in general) and the feel of the old Hollywoodland they had in that area of DCA.

Still, as long as they don't try this in DHS I'll be okay.

I don't like change for change's sake, but I do love Marvel and am looking forward to seeing what they do with the ride. We do usually visit both WDW as well as DL each year, so we still have the opportunity to ride ToT at DHS which may influence my anticipation towards this change since we'll still have a chance with the original.

At this point, I think it has to be accepted though that Star Wars and Marvel are cash cows for Disney and they're going to milk them for all it's worth. Like I said, I'm a big Marvel fan and a big Star Wars fan too, so I'm fine with it. But it has to be expected that since Disney owns both now that they'll get all they can out of them.

I feel like throwing up. Universal builds a whole new Harry Potterland and Disney puts a seat cover on one its best rides. Cheap. I think that dangly ear lobe is messing with Joe's thinking. Just build a third gate you tight empty suits. Leave the good stuff alone.

This would've been great to turn Innoventions into something worth doing. Nah, lets ruin DCA instead.

You summed up my thoughts perfectly. What a huge disappointment and very shortsighted. Didn't we just go through construction for Buena Vista four years ago? They need to make up their minds and invest in quality new lands with more than two rides rather than gutting classics. Spend the money, take your lumps, and do something big with bugs land or Innoventions. The hodgepodge, bandaid approach doesn't work.

I am so disappointed in Disney right now. How does this fit the DCA theme? Oh, right, it doesn't. It fits...the Tomorrowland theme. That is all.
Guardians of the Galaxy takes place in the present day, not in the future, so it doesn't really belong in Tomorrowland (although I suppose the same could be said of Star Tours, Submarine Voyage, and Autotopia).

I was totally against this when the rumors first came out. But after seeing the concept art and hearing more about it, I think it will be ok. The ride will still be similar, the music should be awesome and the GOTG theme, though not my personal favorite, has possibilities. I'm looking forward to it. Of course I'll miss TOT (and now I have to plan a trip to get one last ride in) but I was never a Twilight Zone fan (born in 77) and my kids have no clue what it even is. I think once its done that at least me and my family are going to really like it!

I am extremely bummed because Twilight Zone is one of my all time fave shows and I LOVE the ride and the themeing of the haunted hotel regardless if it is Twilight Zone or not. But the biggest thing I see is it just won't fit. They spent all that money to re-theme the park to the 20's and this just doesn't work. Personally I am not a huge superhero or marvel fan and I am fine with them having it but not replacing what is already there. I get that a lot of people like it and it will be nice for boys to have more things that cater to them (as well as girls) but one of the things I have always loved about Disney was the quaint old fashioned feeling of it. Having a futuristic area where it belongs like Tomorrowland or better a 3rd gate is awesome but trying to squeeze it in where it doesn't fit makes no sense to me.

I see the point with this issue, it did fit in quite nicely with the street car going by and all, so yes, I agree with this argument. I just get the feeling sometimes that people get upset about change at DLR before they even know the details.

You know, though, I'm also the target audience for this but I don't really like it. I'm an older comic book fan and love the GotG movie, but I also love the ToT (and The Twilight Zone in general) and the feel of the old Hollywoodland they had in that area of DCA.

Still, as long as they don't try this in DHS I'll be okay.

And that's totally valid. My point was that, "oh, it's just for young people who don't spend money like I do" is not accurate. We're going with a group in December. Every single adult owns either an annual pass or DVC and we're planning to hit several of the nicer restaurants, use the kid's club, do our Christmas shopping... We're not teenagers doing it on the cheap. This may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's definitely not a matter of failing to cater to the higher paying clientele.

They have to at this point. The Marvel theme park rights east of the Mississippi are Universal's.
I'm pretty sure that Universal's Marvel rights don't include Guardians of the Galaxy (which is why they were able to show the "Guardians" preview in DHS in 2014). You can read the licencing deal at https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

Basically, as long as they don't use the word "Marvel", Marvel can allow other parks to use any Marvel characters that Universal isn't actively using. The only restriction is that Disney couldn't do local advertisements for the ride in the Orlando area, they would have to be regional or national ad campaigns.

Guardians of the Galaxy takes place in the present day, not in the future, so it doesn't really belong in Tomorrowland (although I suppose the same could be said of Star Tours, Submarine Voyage, and Autotopia).

So true on Star Wars. It takes place in the past...

It seems like Autotopia should be using more futuristic(or even modern) engines on the cars, too...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Universal's Marvel rights don't include Guardians of the Galaxy (which is why they were able to show the "Guardians" preview in DHS in 2014). You can read the licencing deal at https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

Basically, as long as they don't use the word "Marvel", Marvel can allow other parks to use any Marvel characters that Universal isn't actively using. The only restriction is that Disney couldn't do local advertisements for the ride in the Orlando area, they would have to be regional or national ad campaigns.
Nice catch! Very interesting. (And also, darn! I was hanging my hat of hope on the fact Disney couldn't legally do this in WDW.) Indeed, I read they have already had the characters appear once in WDW (in 2014) so Guardians appears to be somewhat open for their use. Characters WDW appearance: http://www.insidethemagic.net/2014/...st-time-as-walt-disney-world-welcomes-marvel/

I would actually love to see a Marvel Land. We loved the one at Universal, and it would be fun to see Disney's take on it. I've never ridden TOT so I can't comment on that particular ride, but I like the concept of having multiple Marvel-themed attractions. We like CA a lot, but to be honest, it could use something new IMO.

You say it's a blah movie, yet it's one of the highest rated (based on RT critic reviews) movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and one of the highest grossing ones as well. As for it being vulgar, wasn't any more then any other movie in the MCU. It's arguably considered by fans to be in the top 3 behind only the first Iron Man movie and the first Avengers movie.

Well then, I guess I'm not a comic nerd. I look at the film from a non-comic perspective. You have a really mean raccoon, a tree that says one thing, Bautista desperately trying to act, a green lady who freaks me out a little, and StarLord trying to hold this movie together. While I laughed some, I never thought of it as great. Maybe good. But I'd rather watch any Iron Man, Thor, Cap, or even Hulk movie before GOTG. That's my opinion, I know. But it just rates really really low for me. Especially when compared to one of the greatest TV series of all time. Viva Twilight Zone.

And that's totally valid. My point was that, "oh, it's just for young people who don't spend money like I do" is not accurate. We're going with a group in December. Every single adult owns either an annual pass or DVC and we're planning to hit several of the nicer restaurants, use the kid's club, do our Christmas shopping... We're not teenagers doing it on the cheap. This may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's definitely not a matter of failing to cater to the higher paying clientele.

Oh, certainly. I don't see age as the decider here. I think older fans probably spend more money at Disney because we have it. I also know people my age who don't care about Twilight Zone (or anything old or in black & white; I know, sad). I don't think changing the ToT to GotG will really draw more people into the parks. Now, with an entire Marvel land, maybe it would. I guess this is just step one.

Disney has been picking around the edges of the agreement. I'm not sure anything definite can be said based on Disney has and hasn't done yet. Disney has shown Marvel Previews but always in static theaters nothing motion based or motion enhanced. At least one of the previews was motion enhanced in California but they decided not to push it in Florida. The contract makes clear mention on motion based simulators. Likewise, when the Avengers monorail wrap was done, it was not permitted on the EPCOT loop. The Epcot loop enters the theme park.

For many of these issues, it is probably going to eventually take a judge to decide. Or for Disney and Comcast to come to some sort of agreement. For example. Guardians of the Galaxy- Mission Breakout feature The Collector. The Collector is also a villain of The Avengers. Under the family clause, a parks can't use any character in the same family or their villains east of the Mississippi if that character is in IOA. Groot, Star Lord, and Rocket Raccoon have also had cameos in The Avengers cartoon series.

I'm in the minority: I'm very excited to see the new GOTG ride. TOT is my absolute favorite ride in WDW, but the first time I rode in DL, I was severely disappointed. I didn't even realize the first time that it's the same track system as the version in TDL, which I absolutely adore. (That one has an original story not connected to Twilight Zone, but it's fantastic, and I didn't notice how the ride is not as intense as the Florida version because of it.) Basically, I think a new overlay like this will really spice up a less than stellar version of the ride. Besides, at the end of the day, we still have the Twilight Zone version in Florida, so all is not lost, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter