Drills and Chills - October 2023 Exercise Thread

No color changes yet today, and I don't have any minutes of my own to report so far, but here's today's movie:

The Haunted Mansion, released November 26, 2003:
1697899412787.png "The Evers family needed a little quality time together, but what they didn’t need was quality time with a floating head in a crystal ball. Ghosts, dark secrets, and mysterious characters transform their tranquil family outing into a ghoulish night they’ll never forget."

There is also a Muppet version (2021) and a recent remake (2023 review).

Here's some trivia on the ride the movie celebrates:
The Haunted Mansion is the only attraction located in four different lands in four different Disney Parks: New Orleans Square at Disneyland; Liberty Square at Walt Disney World; Fantasyland at Tokyo Disneyland; and Frontierland at Disneyland Paris.
Imagineer and Disney Legend Claude Coats briefly developed a water ride version of The Haunted Mansion in which guests would float through the ruins of an old plantation house partially submerged in a Louisiana bayou.
The Disneyland Haunted Mansion was largely inspired by the Shipley-Lydecker House in Baltimore, Maryland, pictured in Decorative Art of Victoria’s Era, a book found in the Walt Disney Imagineering Information Research Center in Glendale, California.
https://d23.com/from-the-magic-kingdom-to-the-movies-13-fun-facts-about-the-haunted-mansion/

I haven't seen [Tower of Terror] but I might try to catch it this "spooky season". - Edited to add: It isn't on Disney+ :eek: I put a hold on the DVD from my library.

Watched it today 📺 - I guessed a couple of things right away, but I did enjoy it. It's the kind of Halloween movie I like - not gruesome horror, but not slapstick comedy either.

No color changes yet today, and I don't have any minutes of my own to report so far, but here's today's movie:

The Haunted Mansion, released November 26, 2003:
View attachment 803760 "The Evers family needed a little quality time together, but what they didn’t need was quality time with a floating head in a crystal ball. Ghosts, dark secrets, and mysterious characters transform their tranquil family outing into a ghoulish night they’ll never forget."

There is also a Muppet version (2021) and a recent remake (2023 review).

Here's some trivia on the ride the movie celebrates:
The Haunted Mansion is the only attraction located in four different lands in four different Disney Parks: New Orleans Square at Disneyland; Liberty Square at Walt Disney World; Fantasyland at Tokyo Disneyland; and Frontierland at Disneyland Paris.
Imagineer and Disney Legend Claude Coats briefly developed a water ride version of The Haunted Mansion in which guests would float through the ruins of an old plantation house partially submerged in a Louisiana bayou.
The Disneyland Haunted Mansion was largely inspired by the Shipley-Lydecker House in Baltimore, Maryland, pictured in Decorative Art of Victoria’s Era, a book found in the Walt Disney Imagineering Information Research Center in Glendale, California.
https://d23.com/from-the-magic-kingdom-to-the-movies-13-fun-facts-about-the-haunted-mansion/
I need to watch this one again. The new version is a bit too scary for me in places, so I bet this one is more my speed. It's been too long since I've seen it to say for certain, though.

30 minutes for me this morning (425/500) and the team stands at 7,103 minutes and 57% :goodvibes

Today's movie is:
The Scream Team, starring Eric Idle, Tommy Davidson, and Kathy Najimy, and released October 11, 2002 ~
View attachment 803628
"Restless ghosts with unfinished Earthly business are sentenced to a small New Hampshire town until they can deem themselves worthy to enter heaven. The Carlyle children discover a slew of good-intended, yet misguided ghosts who just need a little direction."

I haven't seen this one, and the trailers on YouTube are fairly grainy, but there's a slightly longer synopsis (with spoilers!) ~ here

This one is available on Disney+ and IMDb gives it 6.3/10, Rotten Tomatoes 55%, and Common Sense Media 3/5
This one sounds like it might be fun.

A quick 15 minute walk for me last night (440/500) and congrats to a lot of color changers -
ShannyMcB, Twilight Sparkle, CarolineBowmanFan37, and Elizabeth Smith!!
:figment::cheer2::ccat::cheer2::ccat::cheer2::ccat:

Today's movie is:
Halloweentown High, released October 8, 2004:
1698001915189.png There's a bit about this one in the video above on Halloweentown 2, and here's an old Disney Channel trailer as well:

The big question, of course, is...what happened to Sophie?
1698002914869.png
(I'm reading some places that she is mysteriously absent from Halloweentown High, and some that she makes a brief appearance, but isn't really part of the story. I haven't re-watched these yet this season, so I don't remember which is correct.)

Bustle says this about the character: "Sophie was able to control her powers better than Marnie in Halloweentown and, while her character didn't appear in the final film, Return to Halloweentown, it was implied that Sophie was continuing her witches' studies with Grandma Aggie."

and that the actress who played her is now: "a 3rd degree black belt and teaches Mixed Martial Arts with her family... in Surprise, AZ. The former Halloweentown star was formerly ranked #1 in the country, according to her bio on the business' site, and she's the current Arizona State Champion." source

Last edited:
Hi everybody! A totally crazy week last week - I was 'under the weather' with something going on in my head - and really needed to knock it out before my darling (and only) niece's wedding on Saturday. I was so relieved I was better on Saturday - had a blast at the wedding! Got my minutes in in the most fun way - dancing!!! So I can add 90 minutes to my total - the dancing and a couple of quick walk.
Can anyone tell me if A Nightmare before Christmas is appropriate for a 6 yr. old and a 10 yr. old? I've never seen it, and the older grandie is asking to see it.
A week from today I'll be in WDW!!!! Can't wait!

280/500

Hi everybody! A totally crazy week last week - I was 'under the weather' with something going on in my head - and really needed to knock it out before my darling (and only) niece's wedding on Saturday. I was so relieved I was better on Saturday - had a blast at the wedding! Got my minutes in in the most fun way - dancing!!! So I can add 90 minutes to my total - the dancing and a couple of quick walk.
Can anyone tell me if A Nightmare before Christmas is appropriate for a 6 yr. old and a 10 yr. old? I've never seen it, and the older grandie is asking to see it.
A week from today I'll be in WDW!!!! Can't wait!

280/500

I haven’t seen Nightmare for a long time, but I think it’s probably too much for a 6 yo. Maybe ok for the 10 yo, depending on how they react to gross/scary stuff.

I haven’t seen Nightmare for a long time, but I think it’s probably too much for a 6 yo. Maybe ok for the 10 yo, depending on how they react to gross/scary stuff.

I've only seen bits, and I guess it depends on the kid - Common Sense Media breaks it down into categories if you know exactly what would bother the little one or not, but overall agrees with sophy and says 7+

Sorry I've been lax about updating the totals the last couple of days (I've been out of the house more than in) but catching up now:

65 minutes for me = 505/500 (Guess I should have gone for 600!)

Congrats to BonnieF and livih99 on reaching Purple,

and the team is only 276 minutes from pink!!

:figment: :cheer2: :bounce: :cheer2: :figment:

Today's movie is: Twitches, released October 14, 2005:
1698250657192.png
"Starring twin sisters Tia and Tamera Mowry, Twitches is a Disney Channel Original Movie adapted from the popular same-titled series of teen books. “Twitches” refers to “twin witches,” with the belief that when the twins pool their resources together, their witchy abilities become significantly stronger. Such is the case of Alex and Camryn (the Mowry twins) who are separated at birth but are unexpectedly reunited on their 21st birthday. The sisters soon discover their unique powers and set about working their magic and fulfilling their destiny."

I'm pretty sure I saw this a long time ago, but don't remember all the details. (I got 9 out of 14 on this quiz, though.) - Feel free to give it a go and post your score!

The sisters are still acting. In fact, I just saw Tamera in a Hallmark mystery the other day:

I'm pretty sure I watched Nightmare in school in 5th or 6th grade so the teachers definitely thought it was appropriate for ages 10-12ish. It's also been a long time since I've seen it so I'm not sure about a 6yo but the 10yo should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter