• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who Wants To Try a DIS-Meet At Gulf State Park In May-June 2016?

For those of us who came into Gulf State Park and headed to the Campground from the north side via Park Road 2, that will no longer be an option. From the Golf Course entrance to the Campground Entrance will be blocked off. Here is the text on the GSP web page: http://www.alapark.com/gulf-state-park

*** ALL PARK VISITORS PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT PARK MESSAGE**

Beginning Monday April 18th 2016 at 6am, a portion of State Park Road 2 that run roughly 1.5 miles through Gulf State Park will be converted to a vehicle free path for pedestrians, cyclists and the future park tram. During the conversion, traffic will be rerouted at each end of the road and all traffic must use Hwy 135 as access to Beach Road. State Park Road 2 will only be accessible for Park Cabin and Golf Course guests. Signage is placed throughout the area and the portion of the road that is closed will be re-striped within a few weeks allowing all park visitors to enjoy a safer access to the park’s various facilities and amenities. Vehicle free trails in this portion of the park will enrich the visitor experience, create multiple loops, increase access for visitors with differing abilities and will improve the health of the park’s central wetlands and animal habitat. A new and safe trail from the campground to the middle beach dune crossing will also be added.

Basically, those of us coming in from Hwy 180 (Canal Road) either from the Toll Bridge or over the public bridge in Gulf Shores by Lulu's will have to get to the campground as shown:

GSP Road 2.png

The former route in (the short yellow route then following the red route) will be impassable past the Golf Course (GC). The yellow route is the way to get to the campground (Hwy 135, then a left onto the Beach Highway for a short distance, then left again up Park Road 2 for a shorter distance).

This is part of the Master Plan unveiled earlier this year to make Gulf more pedestrian/bike friendly which was sorely needed. I'm gonna try riding my bike to Wal-Mart one day when we are there and it will be nice to either have a bike path or pedestrian road all the way there.

I like this change. Looking forward to the meet-up.

Bama Ed

PS - be forewarned, though, that in my opinion, Hwy 135 (which is a 2 lane road with some shoulder space) has some tighter curves in places so big rigs will need to make sure to stay in their own lane. :drive:

PPS - that last sentence in the bolded announcement about a new trail from the campground to the middle dune crossing (the boardwalk where Park Road 2 meets the Beach Highway) will be a nice addition. That will keep bicyclists off Park Road 2 completely. You can ride a bike that short distance on Park Road 2 from the camground road entrance to the Beach Highway (as I was doing when tiggerdad blew past me at Mach 0.8) but it was still kinda a nervy section. :scared: So the short new trail is more good news.

Last edited:
First off, I drive a Ford, not a GM product, so I don't have to settle for Mach 0.8. (The only time I drive that slow is when I'm operating my John Deere 350 dozer)

I agree with you about this being a good thing. Taking 135 around the lake is not that bad of a diversion it just means making a right turn to get into the campground but I'll just have to swing wide for that. I'm at work so I'll read the link later when I get home.

Thanks Ed.

I'm an old cyclist. Anything that makes it nicer for everyone to share the space is a good idea. The 135 route doesn't look like a major imposition.

Just a little over 5 weeks away! :yay:

j

Thanks Ed for the update, I'll either take 135 or I'll take Hwy 59 all the way to the Hang Out, I like to people watch and a challenge so Hwy 59 should have both. But I'm still taking Cotton Creek Dr. connection from the Beach Express. Looking forward to check in!!

Also, my wife went and ordered two new 9x12 outdoor rugs for the camper which came in today. It took me a minute to figure out what the FedEx guy was delivering.

They got this flowery pattern...:crazy2:

Says she has had it with my outdoor carpet rolls.

Hey Tiggerdad, you got that hammock ordered and packed up in the camper yet?! Hate to see you in the dog house with Ms. Stacey!

Hey Tiggerdad, you got that hammock ordered and packed up in the camper yet?! Hate to see you in the dog house with Ms. Stacey!

Randy, this is the truth on the hammock debate:

First off, you and your wife kicked the debate back off after Stacey watched Alana and Lucy napping in the thing at Demopolis
Sams has not had any in stock this year, so we went on Amazon and found several that were like yours and easy to take apart and store in the camper.

They were all met with assorted comments, such as "The color doesn't match the new rugs", "That looks too bright", "That looks too dull", "That won't match the camper", etc., etc.

I have washed my hands of the hammock situation and I am leaving her to her own in finding one. So, when the discussion comes back up at GSP when your wife and that little dog of yours are napping in it, I can say I gave it an honest try.

I'm probably going to go 59 unless the traffic is backed up then I'll go park road 1. On a side note I extended our time camping there. We'll now be there 16 days. May 27-Jun 12. The rule is 14 days max so I booked the other 2 days under another reservation and luckily my site was till open so I won't have to move. Does anyone else going with us have a Kayak ? I will probably bring mine if anyone else does.

Flame, we don't have kayaks but we are planning on renting. I enjoy kayaking so definitely plan to do it at GSP.

Garneska they do rent them over on the Lake Shelby around the corner. Just not right at the campgrounds. I will try to bring mine. I'm not that great. Every time I have taken it the wind was too much to venture out far.

Michael,

That looks like a great list of activities, but I think it's last years.

j
Sorry, wrong link. I corrected it. It's actually a post I made several pages and months back. Just a reminder as a few things have been added.

Just scroll down and select the visit dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter