The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

So I too am confused because even your quoted source indicates that "Most people get scabies from direct, skin-to-skin contact. Less often, people pick up mites from infested items such as bedding, clothes, and furniture." and that scabies has a relatively short life off a host body (which is what I had always understood). Most other sources I checked made it seem HIGHLY unlikely to catch from anything other than skin contact. It was originally considered to be an STD. It seems to me that it is much more likely that you would contract scabies from contact in, say, an overcrowded amusement park where people often come into close contact.

Now I would certainly be concerned that you got a villa with remainders from a previous occupant. That is highly unusual, and would be worth complaint to the resort management if not dealt with promptly. I expect no less than perfect housekeeping from Sheraton and they generally deliver.

Look, I'm trying to be helpful here. The point is the website says you can get it from bed sheets. I saw two professionals for their opinion, and if you believe your own over theirs then fine.

I'm trying to help others out by offering a tip. That is all. What would I get from lying here?

We did not go to any theme parks that trip, stayed at the hotel for the weekend and just did some shopping around Orlando. Used my own stuff, and didn't have skin to skin contact with anyone who had scabies.

Again, just a tip to ask for additional bed sheets! If you choose to use it, that's your choice.

Look, I'm trying to be helpful here. The point is the website says you can get it from bed sheets. I saw two professionals for their opinion, and if you believe your own over theirs then fine.

I'm trying to help others out by offering a tip. That is all. What would I get from lying here?

We did not go to any theme parks that trip, stayed at the hotel for the weekend and just did some shopping around Orlando. Used my own stuff, and didn't have skin to skin contact with anyone who had scabies.

Again, just a tip to ask for additional bed sheets! If you choose to use it, that's your choice.

Mostly questioned it because you were, according to your first post, seeking compensation from the resort (and as an owner, therefore from me). Considering the probability that the scabies were not contracted from your villa, I can support the resort's decision not to compensate. It just seems odd that you are so sure that the bugs came from sheets at the resort, and not from a contact during your stay or on a flight, or any other source when most literature seems to suggest that all of those are more likely vectors.

Hi to all the helpful folks. We're now on the cusp of winning an auction (via SkyAuction) for a week in a 2 bedroom unit. We're excited. Reading through the thread I'm realizing that Owners and Hotel/TA guest rentals come slightly different amenities/services. I assume the action will result in an "owner" experience. Last year we used a TA.

I believe the differences are:

1) No daily housekeeping - no issue here
2) No free shuttle service - no issue here
3) Internet service?? Number of devices?? (last year we had no issues with multiple devices)

Am I missing any other differences?

We plan to use Diamond Lane Check-in to request a top floor room with a whirlpool in the bedroom. A whirlpool tub big enough for 2 is our only "must have".
We check in on Friday.

Last year we stayed in Cascades and everything was beyond our expectations. Our only regret was not spending enough time at the resort which we plan to remedy this year! I'll be the guy by the pool with a Chick-fil-a sandwich.

1) and 2) are the main (only that I know of) differences. Internet Service is the same for both; you can use multiple devices even on the basic service, the premium paid service should provide faster service and more devices, but we find the basic sufficient for checking email, park times etc. Between tablets, laptops, and smart phones we will often have 4-5 devices even on basic without issue. If kids want to stream anything tho, I would pay for the upgrade (but it is cheaper to just rent DVD movies at the rec centre).

Hi Everybody, my family is heading to the resort in February. I already plan on submitting my Diamond Lane request a couple weeks before. I was just wondering if anyone had any difficulties getting what they liked with a late check in.
We'll be arriving late on a Friday, driving down from the Northeast. Probably about 9:00 or 10:00pm. I'm hoping that we're not stuck with the leftovers that day by coming in late. Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi Everybody, my family is heading to the resort in February. I already plan on submitting my Diamond Lane request a couple weeks before. I was just wondering if anyone had any difficulties getting what they liked with a late check in.
We'll be arriving late on a Friday, driving down from the Northeast. Probably about 9:00 or 10:00pm. I'm hoping that we're not stuck with the leftovers that day by coming in late. Any thoughts appreciated.

On our very first trip, we arrived after 9 pm and got every request we had submitted honoured (top floor villa, in Spas, close to Super pool). Beautiful, clean, and awesome!

I wouldn't think of any of the sections as "leftovers" or deficient in any way. Some of the buildings that border the highways (I4 and 535) would be my only concerns, for the noise factor only. If you submit your Diamond Lane request two weeks prior to your visit, I wouldn't have any worries that you will get a great villa :) .

First off :welcome:to DIS and the SVR thread. I see that was your very first post here on DIS. There is a ton of really useful information to be found here!

If you make a DL request, you are much more likely to get what you want and a decent unit. The resort will assign your unit prior to the arrival date, and it is not likely to change during the arrival day (harder to swap than a run of resort reservation). There is some danger to leaving it all up to chance (run of resort) if you are arriving late - that is when your chances of a less desirable unit go up. But with an already assigned DL unit, late arrival shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure if this is your first time at SVR, but to be sure of a good unit, you might follow Gina's exact request above. Spas is a Friday only check in section, centrally located, and no real negatives at all for noise. Just be aware that top floor can mean two flights of stairs as some Spas buildings are 3 floors, although most are 2. Spas is one my personal favorite sections.

You guys are the best! Thanks, I appreciate the advice. And, when I said, "stuck with the leftovers", I misspoke. I know this is a great resort, what I should have said was, "stuck with a unit that's not right for me." I do have knee
issues, so, no stair climbing for me. We'll also have two 13 yr. olds with us who will be looking forward to those pools. Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather the week we are there. Thanks again, Kris

1) and 2) are the main (only that I know of) differences. Internet Service is the same for both; you can use multiple devices even on the basic service, the premium paid service should provide faster service and more devices, but we find the basic sufficient for checking email, park times etc. Between tablets, laptops, and smart phones we will often have 4-5 devices even on basic without issue. If kids want to stream anything tho, I would pay for the upgrade (but it is cheaper to just rent DVD movies at the rec centre).

Hello again, I wanted to give you (and the ever helpful Gina) an update on my reservation process.

I did book through SkyAuction. I ended up getting a 2 bedroom unit for 7 nights for a total of $561:
$399 winning bid, $100 upgrade to 2 bedroom suite, $20 one time fee and $42 for "change/cancel insurance".

I got a confirmation number from SkyAuction. I tried searching for my reservation on the SPG website with no luck. I called SVR and "they've never heard of SkyAuction". An email to SkyAuction resulted in a response that my suite was booked through "Interval International" and would likely NEVER appear on SPG's site. Slight panic... I called SVR a day later and they found my reservation, gave me a different confirmation number and took my Diamond Lane request over the phone :)

They also verified that the reservation wouldn't appear on their site. Odd.

Based on what I've actually paid and the fact that SVR confirmed my 2 bedroom reservation I am very satisfied with SkyAuction purchase. Of course, YMMV.

Joe

Hello again, I wanted to give you (and the ever helpful Gina) an update on my reservation process.

I did book through SkyAuction. I ended up getting a 2 bedroom unit for 7 nights for a total of $561:
$399 winning bid, $100 upgrade to 2 bedroom suite, $20 one time fee and $42 for "change/cancel insurance".

I got a confirmation number from SkyAuction. I tried searching for my reservation on the SPG website with no luck. I called SVR and "they've never heard of SkyAuction". An email to SkyAuction resulted in a response that my suite was booked through "Interval International" and would likely NEVER appear on SPG's site. Slight panic... I called SVR a day later and they found my reservation, gave me a different confirmation number and took my Diamond Lane request over the phone :)

They also verified that the reservation wouldn't appear on their site. Odd.

Based on what I've actually paid and the fact that SVR confirmed my 2 bedroom reservation I am very satisfied with SkyAuction purchase. Of course, YMMV.

Joe

That's a GREAT price :thumbsup2 . In fact, its way less $$ for a week's stay than we pay in maintenance fees as owners.

We reserved at SVR in May 2015 via Skyauction (in a one bedroom premium, just DH & I) and we had no problem with our stay (though we wondered if it was too good to be true, with the crazy low price). They honoured every Diamond Lane request we had, and check in was a breeze. I would book via that source again in a heartbeat.

I hope you have a wonderful trip! :goodvibes

Yay!! I just got confirmation from Sheraton Vistana regarding our upcoming trip. I submitted our Diamond Lane request last Sunday. We got confirmation differently this time. For our trip last May we got a very personalized confirmation e-mail from "a person" (sorry I can't remember who or her title), this time it was very much a form letter confirmation with the SVR logo and etc. It didn't say anything about my requests, however...it did have on it requested check-in time of 3:00 which I did put on my request. It's funny how they don't have a standard confirmation of requests?!

We are planning another stay in May but we are unable to get into the Lakes section where we usually stay. I am wondering if anyone knows which buildings in the Cascades section have the 2 bedroom lock-off units. Just trying to see which building we might get based on location of the lock off units.

We are just about to book our first trip to Vistana for our annual August Florida vacation. We will be traveling with 3 kids (13, 11 & 3) and would love some advice about what section to request. We usually stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek but have been wanting to give Vistana a try. We are booking a 2 bedroom unit for 2 weeks and our most important factors are the unit itself and proximity to pools/activities. With a toddler, we spend a good deal of time in our unit for naps and meals, but need to cater to the older boys too, so close to pools that would suit both.

In reading this entire thread, it seems you really can't go wrong with any unit, but would love any feedback you could offer. At this point, we can book a Fri/Sat or Sun check in, so leaves us wide open!

We are planning another stay in May but we are unable to get into the Lakes section where we usually stay. I am wondering if anyone knows which buildings in the Cascades section have the 2 bedroom lock-off units. Just trying to see which building we might get based on location of the lock off units.
Fairly certain that ALL of the Cascades buildings have 2BR LO's. Although the number of units varies a bit by building, AFAIK they all pretty much have at least 2 of each unit type on most floors.

We are just about to book our first trip to Vistana for our annual August Florida vacation. We will be traveling with 3 kids (13, 11 & 3) and would love some advice about what section to request. We usually stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek but have been wanting to give Vistana a try. We are booking a 2 bedroom unit for 2 weeks and our most important factors are the unit itself and proximity to pools/activities. With a toddler, we spend a good deal of time in our unit for naps and meals, but need to cater to the older boys too, so close to pools that would suit both.

In reading this entire thread, it seems you really can't go wrong with any unit, but would love any feedback you could offer. At this point, we can book a Fri/Sat or Sun check in, so leaves us wide open!
As I so often state, I don't often recommend sections because they are all pretty good. If you have a Friday check-in I might suggest Spas as a great section. It is very close to the main pools on the South side of the resort; you would be comfortable sending the older kids to the pools on their own. It is also well situated for noise (afternoon napping), away from the major roads and the main arteries inside the resort. I would ask for an upper unit if you are okay with a few stairs (no elevators). Most buildings are 2-storey but several are 3-storey as well.

On the North side of the resort, Fountains I or Lakes are both good options (Fountains II is a little further from the action, and closer to the noisy roads); the pools and Taki-Tiki are pretty centrally located on that side. Fountains would be a bit more quiet; I know that is Gina's favorite section.

Just counting our sleeps (6!!:yay:)until we arrive at SVR for a much needed break(8 days) away from this place not to be!!. Nothing positive in NB just gloom and doom news reports day after day. Cascades bld.15,16 are closed for man.? Looks like bld.1 or 17 of course things can always change. Stayed bld.1 our first trip,good unit but a lot of noise from the pool.They really do treat us like special family.The customer service is the best!! Wonder how many snow birds this year?,the Can.$ sucks .We were able to get great deals again this year, so it really works out to last seasons cost.Looks like fair weather but you can never tell until you get there. Just wondering any one there in the past week/s just wondering if the pools are heated up??

As I so often state, I don't often recommend sections because they are all pretty good. If you have a Friday check-in I might suggest Spas as a great section. It is very close to the main pools on the South side of the resort; you would be comfortable sending the older kids to the pools on their own. It is also well situated for noise (afternoon napping), away from the major roads and the main arteries inside the resort. I would ask for an upper unit if you are okay with a few stairs (no elevators). Most buildings are 2-storey but several are 3-storey as well.

On the North side of the resort, Fountains I or Lakes are both good options (Fountains II is a little further from the action, and closer to the noisy roads); the pools and Taki-Tiki are pretty centrally located on that side. Fountains would be a bit more quiet; I know that is Gina's favorite section.

Thanks so much for the advice! We have booked our two weeks and are really looking forward to it! We don't go until August, so we have some time before we need to send our requests in. Do you know of any Reno schedules or updates being done in any of the sections? I think we are leaning towards Spas or Cascades so that we are near lots of activity options for our older kids.

Thanks so much for the advice! We have booked our two weeks and are really looking forward to it! We don't go until August, so we have some time before we need to send our requests in. Do you know of any Reno schedules or updates being done in any of the sections? I think we are leaning towards Spas or Cascades so that we are near lots of activity options for our older kids.
In the most recent owners' update (December, IIRC) there did not appear to any really disruptive maintenance planned at this time through early summer. The focus currently seems to be on interior soft items (upholstery, draperies, linens) refreshes as some of these items are getting on to 6 years since the major renovations were completed in some sections. The new BBQ stations are still being installed in some sections as well. It is a bit of a Catch-22 for a resort this size, to maintain their Gold Crown/Premier status on the exchange systems, they are constantly renovating or rejuvenating something. Renovations and maintenance tasks are never really done, and they often do cause some temporary inconvenience to the guests.
Keep an eye on this thread though. One of the regulars will probably post the content of the next owner update newsletter which will give you some indication of what to expect for maintenance.

Just returned from a perfect vacation at SVR !! From the moment of our arrival we were treated like their favorite family. Yes the pools were heated. The first couple of days it was a little cool but we were able to enjoy all the pools and hot tubs. Can't say enough about the staff. Cascades building 15/16 are receiving a complete renovation so within a couple of weeks , anyone who is planning a trip , these buildings will be brand new on the inside. While we were there most days the pools were empty but for us Canadians it was still more than warm enough to enjoy them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter