• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

I have only done 2 Disney races and one was W&D so I have only had the one early wakeup call. :) I think I set my alarm for Tink for 3 or 3:15.

The early wakeup calls are my biggest worry about Lumiere's Challenge in November. I'm sure it will be fine, but I am dreading it! This will be my first Disney morning race (I also did W&D last year).

Also, I've got another event to add to the original post:

9/10/16 - Milwaukee Brewers 10K - I don't really have a goal time, but it would be nice to go lower than my 10K time from the beginning of this month, which was around 1:15.

And now that I think about it, I don't think the W&D races are in the original post either. So I can be put down for the 10K on 11/5 and the half on 11/6.

I have only done 2 Disney races and one was W&D so I have only had the one early wakeup call. :) I think I set my alarm for Tink for 3 or 3:15.

Tink is a whole different world. You don't have the bus to worry about, so you don't have to get up as early.

The early wakeup calls are my biggest worry about Lumiere's Challenge in November. I'm sure it will be fine, but I am dreading it! This will be my first Disney morning race (I also did W&D last year).

Also, I've got another event to add to the original post:

9/10/16 - Milwaukee Brewers 10K - I don't really have a goal time, but it would be nice to go lower than my 10K time from the beginning of this month, which was around 1:15.

And now that I think about it, I don't think the W&D races are in the original post either. So I can be put down for the 10K on 11/5 and the half on 11/6.

Honestly...for me, it's not that big of a deal. I live on the west coast, which means it's even earlier for me, but you just do what you have to do.

This upcoming weekend we have the following folks with a race:

27 - @PaDisneyCouple - (Mr.) York Rail Trail 10 Miler (1:30:00 / N/A)
27 - PaDisneyCouple - (Mrs.) York Rail Trail 10 Miler (2:10:00 / N/A)
28 - @CherieFran - Annapolis Ten Mile Run (1:27:30 / N/A)

Let me know if you need to revise your goal for this weekends race. Good luck and may you have a great race. Looking forward to hearing how it went!

PaDisneyCouple (Mrs.) came in at 2:02:48.
PaDisneyCouple (Mr.) came in at 1:40:58

Another hot, humid race. We are so looking forward to cooler temperatures. Today was DW's longest race to date. She hit 10 miles in 2 hours flat on the trail last fall, but I think today is another example that, for her, the run/walk plan she uses is right for her. There were a lot of people who slowed down compared to their usual pace.

Tink is a whole different world. You don't have the bus to worry about, so you don't have to get up as early.
Yes, that was certainly nice compared to W&D! I definitely enjoyed not having to wait for buses to go to the expo or to/from the race.

I'll take your word for it. Even at Disney, my alarms don't begin with a 2. :)
I'm pretty paranoid. Even when we stay at the poly or contemporary I like to be out of the room by 3:30. I could probably get up later but I usually set my alarm for 2:45 or 2:50. My goal is to be able to go through most of my race morning routine before I leave the room.

The ole Disney "I'm too excited to sleep" usually applies to me on race morning anyway.

I'm pretty paranoid. Even when we stay at the poly or contemporary I like to be out of the room by 3:30. I could probably get up later but I usually set my alarm for 2:45 or 2:50. My goal is to be able to go through most of my race morning routine before I leave the room.

The ole Disney "I'm too excited to sleep" usually applies to me on race morning anyway.

Agreed. I have to be on the first bus.

Back from vacation and so much to catch up on!

I like 60's, partly sunny/cloudy and breezy. Or any weather inside Epcot :)

I'm not sure what will hang up my shoes, I'm still so early in my run career. my dad had to hang them up for knee reasons so I'm continuing on for him (same thing with my dads dad who jogged in his neighborhood well before anyone thought it was normal to do that)...maybe my kiddo will continue on for me. But if running ever stops I'm gonna keep my walking shoes at the ready :)

The cloud cover was finally on my side for my run this morning! Usually when I go out when it's cloudy, the clouds seem to break up and it gets sunny as soon as I leave. But today it stayed cloudy. Which is good, because although the humidity is probably nothing it is in like some other places, it was still pretty sticky, and sun would have been awful. But I got it done just in time, because this time the clouds started breaking up pretty much as soon I was done. :)

DH and I ran the Emerald City (Dublin...Ohio, not Ireland) Quarter Marathon this morning.

This was the 7th year and we've done them all. I'm not sure why we do, as late August in Ohio does not lend itself to ideal running weather.

Today's race had "red flag" conditions at the start due to high temps and high humidity. The past few days here have been awful. It was over 90 degrees at the kickoff of our High School football game at 7 PM on Friday! Players were experiencing leg cramps so bad that there were frequent delays between plays as the trainers attended to players. (We won, eventually, scoring 3 times in the last 3 minutes, including a Hail Mary pass to the end zone as time expired.)

However, there was enough of a breeze this morning the keep the first 4 miles somewhat OK. The last 2.55 miles were in the direct sun and it was not so pleasant!

We ran at our training pace, instead of our race pace and finished in good shape. Not a day to try to PR, at all!

This upcoming weekend we have the following folks with a race:

27 - @PaDisneyCouple - (Mr.) York Rail Trail 10 Miler (1:30:00 / N/A)
27 - PaDisneyCouple - (Mrs.) York Rail Trail 10 Miler (2:10:00 / N/A)

28 - @CherieFran - Annapolis Ten Mile Run (1:27:30 / N/A)

Let me know if you need to revise your goal for this weekends race. Good luck and may you have a great race. Looking forward to hearing how it went!

Finished the Annapolis Ten Mile Run this morning in 1:27:59. Ran it without my watch/Garmin as a "fun" experiment. It was hot and humid (75 degrees at 7 am with dew point of 73) and the course was very hilly but it's the 41st running of this event and they put on a great race. Fun fact: apparently Matthew Centrowitz won this race in 2006 (as a 16-year-old)! His mom gave some encouraging remarks before the start. I'll recap it more completely in my training journal.

Finally got around to capturing my thoughts on my Ironman from last weekend...it is going to take an Ironman-like effort for anyone to get through my recap though, it's 140.6 miles worth of writing! You can check it out with all of the glorious pictures here in my training journal. Here's a teaser video for the day, the official 9 minute recap from Ironman. It was an awesome day, despite pouring rain for the entire bike and run. The swim was the only dry part of the day!

I am IRONMAN! 2016 Ironman Mont Tremblant Recap

QOTD: The time has finally arrived, it's game week for college football fans across the country! Which team will you be cheering for this year?

ATTQOTD: This year and every year, the LSU TIGERS!

Looking for a exciting match up this weekend against Wisconsin. The game is for 2:30 PM CST @ Lambeau Field with the bonus of Gameday airing from site for more hype. I wish I could make the trip, but it was not in the cards this year. Any Wisconsin fans making the trip?

QOTD: The time has finally arrived, it's game week for college football fans across the country! Which team will you be cheering for this year?

Western Mustangs. The local school (I run through campus all the time) opened their season this past weekend with a 78-6 drubbing of the Windsor Lancers. If we are talking US College then I really don't have a rooting interest, although a lot of my friends around here are big Michigan fans so I kinda follow them. Go Blue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter