• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

All over the map - February is an unpredictable time in Florida for weather. The year of the Frozen theme, it almost (did?) snow in certain parts of the state. This year? It was hot - unbelievably hot. Almost in the 90s.

Oof, yikes!! I'd take the cold weather overs 90s. Time to start doing some weather dances....

QOTD: What weather conditions would you consider to be a perfect day for a run?

ATTQOTD: Early morning low of 40, slight wind from the north, partly cloudy, and RH% below 75%. Temps not exceeding 55 by the end of the run.

I am over summer, I want cold fronts, north winds, see temps starting out below 65 (Really 50) and a gumbo.

Very similar to your preference. I like mid-40 to low-50's, party cloudy, and no wind

And treat the girls like princesses. Chances are, they've never seen a prince, and never will again.

This advice makes my heart swell and it also makes me a little sad (the end) because it's true.

ATTQOTD: I don't know the exact temperatures that I like to run in. I know colder with less humidity is better for me. The funny thing is, when it's sunny, I think "what a beautiful day for a run," but no. That's not true AT ALL. Please give me cloud cover.

This advice makes my heart swell and it also makes me a little sad (the end) because it's true.

ATTQOTD: I don't know the exact temperatures that I like to run in. I know colder with less humidity is better for me. The funny thing is, when it's sunny, I think "what a beautiful day for a run," but no. That's not true AT ALL. Please give me cloud cover.
100% agreed! On Tuesday we had an absolutely beautiful day, it was sunny and in the 70s, and not very humid. I went for a run, but it was definitely not as "beautiful" for that. The sun beating down was so hot.

And what are these singlets you're referring to? What company makes them or where do you get them?

Marquette Running Singlet

They have a ton of universities on there. My wife works at the UW Bookstore in the buying department so she tipped me off that this place exists. I bought the UW one and was really impressed with the quality of it. If I were a biking guy I would be all over these:

Speed Racer

And here's one for our Ironman @CheapRunnerMike!
Ontario

For those who don't want to click links:
Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 3.19.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 3.19.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 3.19.19 PM.png

All over the map - February is an unpredictable time in Florida for weather. The year of the Frozen theme, it almost (did?) snow in certain parts of the state. This year? It was hot - unbelievably hot. Almost in the 90s.
No snow for the Frozen 5K, but wind chills were in the low-20s. It really, truly DID snow the morning of the 2010 WDW Half, though! I wasn't running, but I was at WDW and was heading to a park early that morning... it was wet and icy and more like sleet than flakes, but yep... SNOW. No snow marathon morning, but the temp dropped even lower and wind chills were in the teens. Ice formed on the ground at the water stops.

Upcoming races for us:

August 27 2016 PaDisneyCouple-Mr. York Rail Trail 10 Miler - Goal 1:30/
August 27 2016 PaDisneyCouple-Mrs. York Rail Trail 10 Miler - Goal 2:10/
September 11 2016 PaDisneyCouple-Mr. Harrisburg Half Marathon- Goal 2:10/

November 5 2016 PaDisneyCouple-Mr. Wine and Dine 10k- NG
November 5 2016 PaDisneyCouple-Mrs. Wine and Dine 10k- NG
November 6 2016 PaDisneyCouple-Mr. Wine and Dine Half Marathon- 2:10/
November 6 2016 PaDisneyCouple-Mrs. Wine and Dine Half Marathon- NG

Date - Poster - Race & Distance - (Goal / Result)

ATTQOTD: 45-55 degrees is definitely my favorite temperature range. While I'm running, anyway. Waiting around for my Garmin to connect in those temps can get a little uncomfortable.

QOTD: What weather conditions would you consider to be a perfect day for a run?

ATTQOTD: Early morning low of 40, slight wind from the north, partly cloudy, and RH% below 75%. Temps not exceeding 55 by the end of the run.

I am over summer, I want cold fronts, north winds, see temps starting out below 65 (Really 50) and a gumbo.

Sounds great to me! I have to add ZERO pollen count. It doesn't really matter what the temperature is right now. I cannot breathe.

This. 2014 was pretty hot and humid too. I don't remember what the temperature was, but I had never run in humidity. I didn't know if I'd make it.

Oof, yikes!! I'd take the cold weather overs 90s. Time to start doing some weather dances....

I agree to some extent, but it depends on how cold. 2015 was rough. Really rough. I felt like my legs were heavy and tight and it took me hours to warm up.

This upcoming weekend we have the following folks with a race:

27 - @PaDisneyCouple - (Mr.) York Rail Trail 10 Miler (1:30:00 / N/A)
27 - PaDisneyCouple - (Mrs.) York Rail Trail 10 Miler (2:10:00 / N/A)

28 - @CherieFran - Annapolis Ten Mile Run (1:27:30 / N/A)

Let me know if you need to revise your goal for this weekends race. Good luck and may you have a great race. Looking forward to hearing how it went!

Anyone here a big Disney planner? I am putting the finishing touches on my plans prior to scheduling FP for our November trip, and was wondering if someone here would be interested in looking it over and making suggestions if I am overshooting with how much I can get done. On this trip it would be me, DW (who could be with child at that time), and DD3. Send me a PM if you are interested and I could e-mail you my excel doc. with the plans on it when I am done. TIA
Good luck! Sounds a little like this Disney cruise ad...

ATTQOTD: Low sixties is my choice. Kind of chilly while waiting for the start but perfect once you have warmed up. Overcast skies are also helpful so that I don't need sunglasses.

QOTD: A not so common thought that no one really wants to think about as a runner, but when or what type of event would it take for you to decide its time to hang up the ole running shoes?

ATTQOTD: Despite my little slump that I am in, for me to say its all over would have to come from a injury in which there is no recovery from or would cause me to lose the ability to walk. The injury hopefully wouldn't have come from running...

QOTD: A not so common thought that no one really wants to think about as a runner, but when or what type of event would it take for you to decide its time to hang up the ole running shoes?

This is a tough one for me, as I have trouble balancing things and maintaining moderation in my life. Case in point, in January 2015 I'd never run further than a 5k (except on a sports field) and thought I was absolutely crazy to even CONSIDER a half marathon with my PT and now in August 2016 I'm working on completing my 2nd(!) full marathon. That leads me to two paths away from running. Right now, I can't imagine stopping, but if a new obsession were to come along I could see running dying out as I focused on it. No plans to, but well, there never are, are there? The other path is injury. I do have a history of knee and hamstring problems. Every time there's a twinge that worry creeps into my mind and I am hypersensitive to every ache, pain and strain from the paranoia of it. Is this the "big one" that doesn't get better? Right now, that's the more likely path to take me out of running.

- some injury with no possibility for recovery
- cartilage issues that make running too painful (similar to previous point)
- heart condition develops that would be exacerbated by running
- find some other form of exercise that I like more (unlikely since I am not very young and still running)

I'd have to agree with you. I think an injury that would require major surgery or one that would make it painful to do everyday activities would make me start to think about hanging 'em up. I'm still dealing with sore heels right now, they don't bother me when I run and they aren't debilitating so I am powering through until after my half in October then I think I'll take the winter off (Nov-Feb), but I won't be giving up for good as I love to run and have my sights on Dopey in 2018.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter