Received email about closings at CBR - help!!

Some people aren't happy with the way this will impact their vacation. I personally didn't choose to go here knowing that it wouldn't have a food court (They're bringing food trucks instead), or a gift shop.
My vacation cost 5800USD. To some people that isn't a small amount and while it may be minor inconveniences, it's still not great on their part to spring this on people 2 months before the vacation with not retribution at all.

Just my opinion.

That's ridiculous.

A $6000 vacation, probably about $1200 at least in accommodations, and you get the "option" to either eat from a hot dog stand or pay more if you don't like it. They can't even lower the price, since they are lowering the level of what you originally agreed to pay for?

I hope no one books this place for the next 2 years. Or they drop the price down to accommodate.

Neither one will happen, but here's to hoping....

CM's do what they're told. CM's are not going to be the ones that decide with you at the front desk, what compensation you'll be given. You'll have to deal with the managers and such for that. Also, choosing to wait in this scenario is not going possibly get you moved somewhere else as you stand at the check-in counter. Other resorts are booked or are getting there.

When do you want Disney to announce things? No matter when they announce these things it's going to inconvenience someone. You even got off the phone with them and at this time they aren't authorized to do anything. Will that change? Maybe, maybe not. Also, this issue apparently has been known for some time among certain circles:

So last September stuff was known. Doesn't make anything right, just pointing out that others got weird correspondence some time ago.

Yes last september they announced construction to the Trinidad south buildings and the pool refurb there. A little bit different than the food court and the pool bar and the merchandise shops. 2 months doesn't give much time to find a room in another resort for people with larger groups without having to pay another 1000+

That's ridiculous.

A $6000 vacation, probably about $1200 at least in accommodations, and you get the "option" to either eat from a hot dog stand or pay more if you don't like it. They can't even lower the price, since they are lowering the level of what you originally agreed to pay for?

I hope no one books this place for the next 2 years. Or they drop the price down to accommodate.

Neither one will happen, but here's to hoping....

My thoughts exactly. It is what it is. A bummer for sure but if there's nothing I can do so be it. I'll enjoy my vacation with my family regardless. Just a damper before is all.

Yes last september they announced construction to the Trinidad south buildings and the pool refurb there. A little bit different than the food court and the pool bar and the merchandise shops. 2 months doesn't give much time to find a room in another resort for people with larger groups without having to pay another 1000+

Sadly everything is subject to change, and when you book, you are signing off that you understand that. You're right, 2 months doesn't give you much time. BUT... you do have time. Unlike others who are suggesting they're going to raise a stink at check-in.

The longer people wait, the messier it's going to get. As I brought up, the WL is a construction zone itself. Other places (as per you and others in the thread here) are already booked solid and people can't move. So the options are already limited to what is able to be done.

It seems to me that they would do something before hand also. I can be a reasonable person,but me and Disney have had quiet a few run ins when it comes to reservations. Eventually they fix them, but they should they caused them, but I only once remember losing it to the point my voice got loud. Here is a run down on all my bad reservation experiences.

POR, blind, pouring 2 year old, over an hour and still could not find ressies, even though I had all the confirmation papers, place in a standard room what in back and told to come fix in morning, 1hour in morning and no fix, told to come back at night. 1 hour at night, found ressies but did not have a room in preferred to put us, two hours trying blind to find my room with baby, fell in water, they found a room in prefered, then refused to compensate us for the standard room or dining credits we paid for and could not use. Took and hour to get reimbursed.

BC, filthy dirty, had to crawl thru dirty laundry on the floor, feel blood knee, feel next day, hurt my arm. Broke three glasses that had been on the floor for three days and a few plates. Tripped over vacuum maid left in middle of hall. Feel on other knee and again blood everywhere. This was deluxe club level, $800 a night. Finally got moved on fourth night to CR hospitality suite.

Arrived, was told two days before by email my room would be ready upon arrival, I sent back we are arriving at 6:30 to 7 am, they wrote back room will be ready. Day before, got a call from manager, room will be ready when you arrive. Got there, room not ready. Started to undo suitcases and get things out, they said no no what are you doing, I said we have CRT at 8 I thought we could shower but if not, I do need to get a few things, manager came out and brought us to our room which was ready, and got us a cab to CRT for our trouble. This would not have been a problem if they had not write or told us the day before that we could have our room at 7 am. I would have packed differently and all would have been fine.

Had a sick child 103 temp, went to CR at 1:30 and asked for our room, explaining sick child high fever and feeling sick to stomach. 4 o'clock still sitting and waiting in lobby. I lost it, I had ask everyone every 15 minutes to please let us have a room, no one would respond. I lost it and started to loudly tell them that in a few minutes, I was going to allow her to change into PJ and get comfortable, after I unpacked my bags on the floor. If she got sick I was going to let her throw up on floor in lobby. They kept saying the room was not ready yet. Later I find out, I got a text message that the room was ready at 12:30, I had left my phone in haste with a sick child with someone else, to get her to resort. I sat for 2 and a half hours, with a sick child in the lobby, begging them to please just give us the next room ready. It was after 4 and finally they gave us our room, they same room that was ready at 12:30, but I had no way of knowing it.

So yes, Disney should do something before people get mad. It is not like these are inexpensive rooms. Hell even a mod is expensive at Disney. Over $200 a night, close to $250 or more a lot of the time. I have never had the problems I have at Disney when I go to Marriott, of course I am a gold member there, but still I pay usually a lot less, get free everything, even a free basket of fruit in my room, always the best room in the house, and all for less than $200. Some of the rooms here I speak about was costing me well over $400 a night and still nothing but problems.

Yes we have had some wonderful ones. Yes we have been upgraded, which we didn't care about. It is almost a 50/50 with Disney, you either get a lot of grief and misery for paying top dollar, or you get upgraded and magically transformed. All I wish for, is what I paid for, and within reason. If I was booked at Marriott, and was paying $200 a night and they decided to tear apart the resort, they would discount me, move me at there expense, or compensate me, with free breakfast, lunch and dinner. Why not Disney, for some people this is a once in a life time, for many they book 9 to 12 months out. So Disney should be like every other hotel business and do something to make it magical, I'm all for free dining to those who booked and now can not rebook it. The compensation should be on Disney, not on the people. I booked WL, I knew there would be construction, so no they don't need to compensate me. These people did not know.

The way I look at it, I am going to apply that $400 right to my balance, and we get to stay at WL for the price of CBR. Considering the options, I'm not disappointed.

Yep, good plan. My guess is that it's easier to issue a gift card as a "credit" than go and credit a resort stay.

For everyone who called, did the CM confirm the construction? Because I just called and they told me the email was an error, and that once the Trinidad pool is done in mid-march, there is nothing else on the construction calendar...

He said the recently got a system upgrade and there was a glitch that sent out the email.

No way! Then we all have nothing to worry about!

If I was booked at Marriott, and was paying $200 a night and they decided to tear apart the resort, they would discount me, move me at there expense, or compensate me, with free breakfast, lunch and dinner. Why not Disney, for some people this is a once in a life time, for many they book 9 to 12 months out. So Disney should be like every other hotel business and do something to make it magical, I'm all for free dining to those who booked and now can not rebook it. The compensation should be on Disney, not on the people. I booked WL, I knew there would be construction, so no they don't need to compensate me. These people did not know.

Unfortunately, this isn't the Marriott.

So what should Disney do... Free dining? No. That more than likely won't happen.

It's been out for some time (apparently Sept. see prior poster) that there was going to be work being done. Sure, this is more than what was anticipated, but construction none-the-less. So yes, these people did know that there would be work being done.

When you call people, please DO NOT BE RUDE and/or DEMANDING on the phone. They are only people on the other end of the phone who are bound to do only what they are allowed to do. How would you feel if you were in their shoes with YOU on the other end of the phone yelling and screaming and demanding something be done about moving you to another resort? You wouldn't feel very good, would you? Those people will go home tonight and flop down on the couch and cry because so many people yelled at them today. Now that's just not very nice, is it?

Unfortunately, this isn't the Marriott.

So what should Disney do... Free dining? No. That more than likely won't happen.

It's been out for some time (apparently Sept. see prior poster) that there was going to be work being done. Sure, this is more than what was anticipated, but construction none-the-less. So yes, these people did know that there would be work being done.

You're taking a memo from september, and assuming it applies to the construction in May.
The current memo attached to bookings (and I just copied this right now) states:
In an effort to make future visits more magical, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort is currently undergoing refurbishments. At this time, you may see and hear construction work during your stay, particularly Guests in the Trinidad South region of the Resort hotel.

Throughout the refurbishment, the Trinidad South Village Pool will be unavailable for your enjoyment. However, you can still make a splash at our feature pool—Fuentes del Morro Pool—or any of our 5 other leisure pools.

To minimize disruptions, we will attempt to limit work until after 9:00 AM. We apologize for any inconvenience this refurbishment may cause. Be sure to check back here in the near future for further updates!

Even still with knowledge of the pending construction it fails to state the extent of the construction. So no. I did not book with knowledge of the food court, gift shop, poolbar, and more being closed. So no. The people in may did not know this work was going to be going on. Thanks

When you call people, please DO NOT BE RUDE and/or DEMANDING on the phone. They are only people on the other end of the phone who are bound to do only what they are allowed to do. How would you feel if you were in their shoes with YOU on the other end of the phone yelling and screaming and demanding something be done about moving you to another resort? You wouldn't feel very good, would you? Those people will go home tonight and flop down on the couch and cry because so many people yelled at them today. Now that's just not very nice, is it?

I'll agree that being rude gets you nowhere, fast. As far as being in their shoes? Well, a lot of them probably just let it roll off and they keep going. I know I had to learn that when I worked in collections years back. You deal with the call and move onto the next.

You're taking a memo from september, and assuming it applies to the construction in May.
The current memo attached to bookings (and I just copied this right now) states:
In an effort to make future visits more magical, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort is currently undergoing refurbishments. At this time, you may see and hear construction work during your stay, particularly Guests in the Trinidad South region of the Resort hotel.

Throughout the refurbishment, the Trinidad South Village Pool will be unavailable for your enjoyment. However, you can still make a splash at our feature pool—Fuentes del Morro Pool—or any of our 5 other leisure pools.

To minimize disruptions, we will attempt to limit work until after 9:00 AM. We apologize for any inconvenience this refurbishment may cause. Be sure to check back here in the near future for further updates!

Even still with knowledge of the pending construction it fails to state the extent of the construction. So no. I did not book with knowledge of the food court, gift shop, poolbar, and more being closed. So no. The people in may did not know this work was going to be going on. Thanks

Also. I booked this Vacation in July. So I wouldn't have had any indication of any construction happening at all.

Everything is subject to change. There has been a change. There's probably a reason why they left it open-ended as to the extent of the construction, now we know why.

Also. I booked this Vacation in July. So I wouldn't have had any indication of any construction happening at all.

Fair enough. As I've said, there's never a good time for Disney to announce construction or closures, there just isn't.

Everything is subject to change. There has been a change. There's probably a reason why they left it open-ended as to the extent of the construction, now we know why.

Fair enough. As I've said, there's never a good time for Disney to announce construction or closures, there just isn't.

A good time, no. Someone is always going to want to book there. Agreed. But A better time frame. More notice etc. Yes. Just my opinion.
I'm still going. I'm still going to be with my family. It's just a minor inconvenience in an otherwise great time away.

A good time, no. Someone is always going to want to book there. Agreed. But A better time frame. More notice etc. Yes. Just my opinion.
I'm still going. I'm still going to be with my family. It's just a minor inconvenience in an otherwise great time away.

There is no better time frame. That's just the thing. Disney could totally flip all their policies tomorrow if they wanted to with no notice to anyone, is it fair? No. Is it within their rights to do so? Yes.

Sadly everything is subject to change, and when you book, you are signing off that you understand that. You're right, 2 months doesn't give you much time. BUT... you do have time. Unlike others who are suggesting they're going to raise a stink at check-in.

The longer people wait, the messier it's going to get. As I brought up, the WL is a construction zone itself. Other places (as per you and others in the thread here) are already booked solid and people can't move. So the options are already limited to what is able to be done.
Not sure if you are referring to me or not, but if so I never suggested that I would make a stink at check in, just that it is likely to occur for many similar scenarios and you'd think Disney would prefer to handle this as best they can before the guests arrive. I paid "x" dollars for an experience, so why should I expect a lower experience for the same $$. Some consideration should be forthcoming, if for no other reason than as a client service

Keep calling and make it 100% clear you are not happy. I think that is what got them to do anything for WL. At minimum they should be giving discounts. This is not the same thing as just the feature pool being down, just the quick service location being down, or just construction in one area. Once they start closing multiple things and having across property construction it is time to cut the prices or move people who booked before the extent of construction was known.

Keep calling and make it 100% clear you are not happy. I think that is what got them to do anything for WL. At minimum they should be giving discounts. This is not the same thing as just the feature pool being down, just the quick service location being down, or just construction in one area. Once they start closing multiple things and having across property construction it is time to cut the prices or move people who booked before the extent of construction was known.

Worded very well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter