Reach for the Stars April 2023 Exercise Challenge

We have so much blue on the board!!! Congrats to Twilight Sparkle (me), sophy1996, Elizabeth Smith, PollyannaMom, and the TEAM for reaching Bridgit Blue!!!

Born in 1955 in Guernsey Channel Islands, UK, Karen Dotrice is perhaps best known for her role as Jane Banks in Disney's Mary Poppins (1964).

jane-Banks-mary-poppins-300x295.jpg

However, she was first seen in the 1963 Disney film The Three Lives of Thomasina as Mary McDhui. Or you might know her as Elizabeth in The Gnome-Mobile (1967). After these movies, she went on to have a career in television, appearing in several series before retiring in 1984 to focus on her children. She returned to tv in 2005 where she played a teacher for two episodes in Young Blades. In 2018, she had a cameo appearance as Elegant Woman in Mary Poppins Returns.

1680665279584.jpeg
Elegant Woman
1680665311288.jpeg
on set with Lin Manuel Miranda

1680665507250.jpeg
Now and Then

Karen was named a Disney Legend in 2004.

She has been married to her second husband since 1994, and they have two children together. She also has a son from her first marriage.

Karen has been reported as saying she regrets making her early films and wouldn't do it if she had the chance to go back and start over. She believes "children should be children, doing their homework and outside riding horses".

However, she has fond memories of Walt and her fellow Mary Poppins cast members:
https://variety.com/2013/film/news/...ng-with-walt-disney-julie-andrews-1200852488/

Last edited:
We have so much blue on the board!!! Congrats to Twilight Sparkle (me), sophy1996, Elizabeth Smith, PollyannaMom, and the TEAM for reaching Bridgit Blue!!!

Born in 1955 in Guernsey Channel Islands, UK, Karen Dotrice is perhaps best known for her role as Jane Banks in Disney's Mary Poppins (1964).

jane-Banks-mary-poppins-300x295.jpg

However, she was first seen in the 1963 Disney film The Three Lives of Thomasina as Mary McDhui. Or you might know her as Elizabeth in The Gnome-Mobile (1967). After these movies, she went on to have a career in television, appearing in several series before retiring in 1984 to focus on her children. She returned to tv in 2005 where she played a teacher for two episodes in Young Blades. In 2018, she had a cameo appearance as Elegant Woman in Mary Poppins Returns.

View attachment 751257
Elegant Woman
View attachment 751259
on set with Lin Manuel Miranda

View attachment 751262
Now and Then

Karen was named a Disney Legend in 2004.

She has been married to her second husband since 1994, and they have two children together. She also has a son from her first marriage.

Karen has been reported as saying she regrets making her early films and wouldn't do it if she had the chance to go back and start over. She believes "children should be children, doing their homework and outside riding horses".

However, she has fond memories of Walt and her fellow Mary Poppins cast members:
https://variety.com/2013/film/news/...ng-with-walt-disney-julie-andrews-1200852488/
Thomisina was the first movie I remember going to a theatre to see. I loved it, but I think it also may have scarred me for life because I have a very low tolerance for movies with animals in peril or that die.

+145 mins since last post. Trying several new things... leg work with squats and lunges and arm work with hand weights. I really want to see toning along with the weight I'm losing.

295/1380...22%
Great work! Just want to clarify if you are going for 1350 minutes or 1380? If 1380, I need to alter the list. No worries either way.

Let's hear it for livih99 and Raya (welcome back, Raya! hope you are much better)!!!!! They've both reached Bridgit Blue!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Today's child actor starred alongside Karen Dotrice in her first three projects. You might know Matthew Garber as Geordie McNabb in The Three Lives of Thomasina, Michael Banks in Mary Poppins, and Rodney in The Gnome-Mobile.

images

In Mary Poppins

1680824139324.jpeg

and a clip from The Three Lives of Thomasina

Matthew was born in 1956 in Stepney, London, England, UK to parents who were both stage actors. Karen's dad, Roy Dotrice, was responsible for connecting Matthew with Disney's casting department. The Gnome-Mobile was Matthew's last film. After that, he focused on his education, graduating in 1972. Matthew was in India from 1976 - 77 where he contracted hepatitis. He returned to London for medical treatment, but, sadly, it was too late. The infection had already affected his pancreas, and he died June 13, 1977. He was 21. He left behind both parents and a younger brother, Fergus. Matthew was posthumously named a Disney Legend in 2004.

This article is a good read about Matthew's brief life.

matthew-garber-scaled.jpg

Elizabeth Smith is our first to turn Olivia Orange!!! Way to go!!!! :tigger::tigger::tigger:

Olivia Rodrigo was born on Feb. 20, 2003 in Temecula, California but grew up in Murrieta, CA. She began acting in elementary and middle school theatre productions and was hired for her first onscreen job in an Old Navy commercial shortly before her big break in 2015 as the lead role in An American Girl: Grace Stirs Up Success.

In 2016, Olivia landed the role of Paige Olvera in Disney Channel's Bizaardvark. At that point, she moved to LA and continued in this role for 3 seasons.

1680983099342.jpeg

In 2019, she was cast as lead Nina Salazar-Roberts in High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. She even wrote two songs for the show's soundtrack - All I Want and Just A Moment (co-writer).

1680983145422.jpeg

In 2021, Olivia appeared on Saturday Night Live as a musical guest.

and

Her work with Disney continues with the recently completed Disney+ documentary entitled Olivia Rodrigo: driving home 2 u (2022) in which she documents the process of creating her record-breaking album SOUR (2021) featuring drivers license and Good 4 U.

Olivia is also an institute panelist and speaker for the Geena Davis Institute, and in 2022, she was named Billboard's Woman of the Year, the first Asian American woman to receive this honor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter