Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

One more question, the planner in me is going overboard! But looking at the route, it's probably hard to see someone on both the boardwalk and the finish line, correct? Especially, if you have to drive/park? My parents will have our 1 year old, so I want to make sure I get them set-up at the easiest spot, so it looks like the finish is probably best? Do you think Chear Squad would be worth it with a little?

Yeah someone else mentioned but I don't think you can back to the finish line with out driving. But even if they could get into Epcot through the international gate it would be a really long walk. They would have to go out the front of the park to get to there.

C is for Chewbacca here, just a few bibs shy of B. I was planning on hanging in the back, but now seeing how close I was to B I may try to start towards the front to hopefully not get boxed in at the start, but yet I don't want to start to fast, hmmm. And if it rains I'm ready as I have been running on Dagobah it seems like forever here:)

I think the issue is that this is the first half for a lot of folks and they don't have a proof of time
There's a lot of people that run RunDisney races that never get below 2:45, so it's not just a lot of first timers causing an issue with not having proof of time and putting that 2:46.

Runner tracking is under the spectators tab of the website.

Yes, spoke to runDisney rep. as it happened when I clicked on to register that the website site tracking was unavailable. However, the runDisney rep said it would become available on 4/13. Until then...I'll just digest what info I have about bibs, waivers, corrals, etc. So far, DS is in Corral C (lucky dog), and I'm in Corral F. Hence, why I'm really crossing my fingers for runner tracking.

At the end of the event guide, they show all the upcoming rD races - they already have the date for 2018 Dark Side (April 19-22) so that should put an end to any rumors that they are discontinuing this race weekend! Light side is still on hold though.

Just squeaked into Corral B :banana:

Hey, Don't worry about it. My first half was the Wine and Dine last year and so didn't have a POT. I was placed in the last corral, and run a 9 minute mile and worried about it for nothing. Sure it will be congested to start with, but don't sweat the small stuff! Plus I've heard the later corrals are a lot more fun!

The good thing about being in Corral F with a new improved pace is that I will be able to warm up more for the first few miles. Then once I hit like mile 3, I will be able to increase my pace.

At the end of the event guide, they show all the upcoming rD races - they already have the date for 2018 Dark Side (April 19-22) so that should put an end to any rumors that they are discontinuing this race weekend! Light side is still on hold though.

Just squeaked into Corral B :banana:

Next year, the Dark Side Half Marathon will be on Animal Kingdom's 20th anniversary!

Bear Island will be both lanes as it is in the marathon. There are a few connecting roads leading up to it that are 1 lane.

Waves? Is there something in the guide that discusses waves because past history they release the corral all at once.

Oh, that's right... I'm thinking of Floridian Way, but we'll skip that entirely. Whew! And yeah, I think Wine and Dine last year was the first time they started the races in waves. It's the new thing.

Had to go back and see which POT I used as I thought I was going to end up in B based on the corral placements. Used 1:50:20 for a half and am in corral A, I guess that falls in their range of <=1:50

Oh, that's right... I'm thinking of Floridian Way, but we'll skip that entirely. Whew! And yeah, I think Wine and Dine last year was the first time they started the races in waves. It's the new thing.
Wine & Dine did not do Mini waves last year. Marathon was first I think with just some of the races doing them, someone who ran marathon weekend I'm sure can chime in.

Last edited:
On the expo map there is a "Last Chance Registration" listed for in the Field House. So, weekend of registration it looks like in case someone wants to decide last minute to join in!

I'm in Corral A but my sister and boyfriend are in D and E so will be joining them in E. so excited with all this info today, the half course looks amazing. Me and sis have done the marathon weekend half and loved running down Main Street but shes so excited for this new route having not done the marathon herself. Hoping there'll be some entertainment in the first few miles for that and the 10k.

Quick question-for the 10k do they give out Gatorade at the water stops or not. Boyfriend asked me and I cannot remember, I know they did for the half.

Corral links don't work for me.. I have my waiver so now I need to see where I am... anyone have the corral numbers?

Wine & Dine did Not do Mini waves last year. marathon was first I think with just some of the races doing them.

Ah, okay... Ugh. Apparently, all my races have started to run together. :worried: All I know is it was dark and it was early, and there were many people very close to me.

Looking at the layout for the pre-race area, the corral arrangement is interesting. (Pro tip: The portopotties by the corrals had very short lines, if at all, in this area for the last 3 Disney races I've done. No need to wait in line by the entertainment.) This is similar to the 10k setup for WDW Weekend and Princess. While they seem really skinny on the graphic, they shouldn't feel that bad once we get there. Still, if you want to move towards the front because you're on the faster end, you'll want to get there early. But if you then have to go, the crowds may be tight getting back. I don't think they've used this kind of layout for anything longer than a 10k, so we'll see.

Corral links don't work for me.. I have my waiver so now I need to see where I am... anyone have the corral numbers?

Screen grabs! Click to embiggen!
Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 2.11.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 2.11.46 PM.png

On the expo map there is a "Last Chance Registration" listed for in the Field House. So, weekend of registration it looks like in case someone wants to decide last minute to join in!

That might be me, I've been tempted to ask permission to sign up for the half everytime I look at the website. I'm already running the 5K and 10K, so if they would give me Challenge shirt and medal, I'd be in.

Waves started after Disneyland Paris, I think. They also did it at Marathon weekend this year.
They did for the 10K Marathon weekend, and maybe the 5K (I wasn't really paying attention and may have missed that!). I don't recall them doing it for the marathon, though.

Is this the first race where they haven't just made multiple 2:45-2:50 corrals? I swear marathon weekend had like 5 different corrals for that time frame.
To my knowledge, yes! All I can think is that they decided it was easier to use a smaller number of giant corrals and do mini-waves within each. Which, it just occurred to me, means fewer fireworks. And fireworks are expensive. So there ya go: still paying for Shanghai lol!

Additionally, didn't POT used to be 3 hours? I swear my first rD race it was something like that.
Sure did!

There's a lot of people that run RunDisney races that never get below 2:45, so it's not just a lot of first timers causing an issue with not having proof of time and putting that 2:46.
There are lot of us in that general vicinity, too. For a while, 2:45 was a cutoff between corrals at all halfs, so I worked like crazy for a PoT that would land me sub-2:45... and they changed the cutoff to 2:40. GAH! Now it's back to 2:45 and I didn't have anything to submit. Double GAH! I've got a 10K coming up and at this point, I have no idea what time to aim for, lol!

Go to rundisney.com and click on the Dark Side Event, then Runner Info, then Corral & Bib. You'll see links there for the corral charts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter