Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

Okay, I know I'm going to sound really dumb for asking this, but...how do you get 7000 runners in corral F? I am seeing bib 3737-8041 for F, isn't that like 4000? What am I doing wrong? :confused3 Sorry, this is new to me...

Okay, I know I'm going to sound really dumb for asking this, but...how do you get 7000 runners in corral F? I am seeing bib 3737-8041 for F, isn't that like 4000? What am I doing wrong? :confused3 Sorry, this is new to me...
The challenge runners. There's a separate corral breakdown for that. Those go 24413-27148, so that's almost 3000 more.

I'm sure many of your read it too, but in a Facebook group I thought it was humorous that someone posted how bad they thought the half course looked with only roads and little park time. I think all comments were like, really?!?! Seriously, though, do some people really think we can run 13 miles in loops in one park, I just don't get what some people expect. WDW is big and to get park to park there will be roads. Just thought it was funny considering everyone else basically thinks it looks great with 3 parks and Boardwalk!

I feel like now that we have everything it's like it's just the homestretch of training to go -- and Han telling Luke "Don't get cocky, kid"!

tumblr_nzklndt2F01rsqvnho1_500.jpg

I'm sure many of your read it too, but in a Facebook group I thought it was humorous that someone posted how bad they thought the half course looked with only roads and little park time. I think all comments were like, really?!?! Seriously, though, do some people really think we can run 13 miles in loops in one park, I just don't get what some people expect. WDW is big and to get park to park there will be roads. Just thought it was funny considering everyone else basically thinks it looks great with 3 parks and Boardwalk!

I feel like now that we have everything it's like it's just the homestretch of training to go -- and Han telling Luke "Don't get cocky, kid"!

View attachment 228499

I started to comment and then stopped because why waste my breath? LOL. "We spend less than a mile in each park"! Aside from when the World Showcase loop is used, is there ever a full mile IN the parks, let alone multiple ones?

That cracked me up! What cracked me up even more was the comment about the roads during Disneyland races. I couldn't help but giggle at that! I did comment that I thought it was great, especially compared to other recent courses they've used. I have no clue where people's expectations are from since it seems like most people are over the moon about this course.

:scared: Well add me to G.....seems I forgot to submit my POT even though I normally would be a C or D. Seems if I would have just put 2:46 I would be up an entire corral. Oh well, no worries my training pace has been awesome lately so I will still have a great time.

Not everyone. My wife is in G and not thrilled about it (she didn't submit a time). She never got to run a race to get a time (we were just too busy), but she runs around a 10 minute pace on half marathons. I told her it's not a bad thing since I'm in E and she is usually a minute faster than me per mile, just means she will catch up to me later on.

That cracked me up! What cracked me up even more was the comment about the roads during Disneyland races. I couldn't help but giggle at that! I did comment that I thought it was great, especially compared to other recent courses they've used. I have no clue where people's expectations are from since it seems like most people are over the moon about this course.

Maybe some people would like to walk around a park enjoying the sights and then hop on a monorail or bus to the next park and then repeat? Oh...wait....:stir:

I'm actually really looking forward to the Wine&Dine 5k because I can just really immerse myself in running around whatever park it is I'll be running around. With my half coming up I'll be totally thankful for the open roads for zoning out & getting "in a groove with my pace" moments. I feel like the half would feel like it took twice as long if it was solely in parks (if that were even possible.)
Ok, I'm gonna lurk away again...

Hey, Don't worry about it. My first half was the Wine and Dine last year and so didn't have a POT. I was placed in the last corral, and run a 9 minute mile and worried about it for nothing. Sure it will be congested to start with, but don't sweat the small stuff! Plus I've heard the later corrals are a lot more fun!
That is good to hear, as this is my first half and I did not have a POT. Last corral it is, but I also run a 8.25-8.40 min mile...still excited.

This is my first rD race but my wife has run several. She told me that there were attractions open during her races. Will this be true of the Dark Side Half? Any thoughts on what attractions may be open? Are there normally significant waits to get on? I'm not concerned about my race time as this is definitely an experience run for me. The next three weeks can't go by soon enough!

This is my first rD race but my wife has run several. She told me that there were attractions open during her races. Will this be true of the Dark Side Half? Any thoughts on what attractions may be open? Are there normally significant waits to get on? I'm not concerned about my race time as this is definitely an experience run for me. The next three weeks can't go by soon enough!

It's very unlikely any of the attractions will be open except maybe the ones in Epcot if you're still on the course after the park opens. It's really more the marathon where you can hit the rides and bars during the race.

As was previously noted, the attractions are open if the park is open. So the only chance is during the half if you are entering HS or Epcot after the parks open. I doubt there will be many still in HS after the park opens, but there may be a chance in Epcot. At that point you may be more interested in finishing.

View attachment 228499

No complaints about the half course but I do wonder if they could have figured out a way to get it to run past the current Star Wars area of HS. It gets kind of wonky and narrow with the walkways over there though so probably not. Just would have been neat since it is a Star Wars race.

Based on the pre-race area layout in the guide, I'm curious what the chances are that we'll be able to walk over from the Poly. We're staying there for the first time and are unfamiliar with the layout of the resort and it's walking paths but have heard that you can walk over to the TTC from there. I'd love to be able to walk to the race instead of taking the bus. I saw that they have a notice saying that they don't want people walking directly to the corrals, which isn't what I'd want to do, just would like to walk to the normal pre-race area.

I guess worst case scenario we'll have the shortest bus ride ever from the Poly!

I know there has been prior speculation about whether we will get both the Kessel medal AND C2C medal - but now that the race guide is out, I read through the info about how to pick up these goodies after the race and it didn't say anything about getting both if you did light side in January. What is the current consensus on this? :confused3

I know there has been prior speculation about whether we will get both the Kessel medal AND C2C medal - but now that the race guide is out, I read through the info about how to pick up these goodies after the race and it didn't say anything about getting both if you did light side in January. What is the current consensus on this? :confused3

You'll get both ..... no worries

I am happy about getting to run through World Showcase for the Half. While I would still love to run through the MK, that may never happen for me since
The page that talks about getting the Kessel Run medal also talks about how to get the Coast to Coast medal. Right now the only possible way to be eligible for C2C at Dark Side is to have run Light Side at Disneyland. If you finish Kessel Run, you should get Coast to Coast. Just make sure you get the necessary wristbands, et all for Kessel and C2C at the Expo.

We are staying at the Poly and I'm wondering if we can walk to the race from there as well.

When I was there last, there was a walking path from the hotel to the Transportation and Ticket Center. Maybe a five minute walk from the main building or a two minute walk if you are staying in the buildings on the east side of the resort. The race information says that there is runner drop off in the Charter lot at the Transportation and Ticket Center so if possible I would like to join the runners being dropped off and just walk from there to the staging area.

if we do take the bus it will be the shortest bus ride ever. But I would prefer to walk as well.

Another Coral F person here. This would be my first half and I did submit a POT for the 10k I did in October (1:20 finish). Even if I'm in there with 7k other people, still happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter