News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

I really like this. Is this going to be finished early? The original timeframe was "fall 2015" but it sure seems like it'll be done well before then.

I remember reading an interesting article in Entertainment weekly about Jar-Jar Binks and the actor who played him (Ahmed Best I believe). During shooting, everyone was convinced that Jar Jar was going to be the breakout character of the new films. Instead it was considered at best loathed by fans and at worst a racist characerture Suffice it to say they'll be no Jar Jar (or Gungans) in future Star Wars movies.

Dreamworks biggest problems is they start out with some clever original movies (Shrek, Madacascar, HTTY Dragon) and the tend to run them completely into the ground. What's kind of amazing is the movies tend to be really wonderfly animated, but targeted squarely at kids, and with the sequels this problem gets worse and worse. (I liked the first Madagascar, while 3 was terribly unfunny.)

The smartest way to make animated movies is to make them for EVERYONE. Disney is really good at this. Dreamworks started out that way (again Shrek - which MADE DWA) but now makes mostly hollow kid-joke films. (HTTYD maybe the exception)

Lol...you mean...new carpets and destinkdefying doesn't represent a long term committment to the Florida monorails?

As had been laughably suggested on this board?

Apparently, the only thing they are committed to long-term is ratcheting up prices while giving us as little as possible in return. One would think.... with the HUGE premium that they charge for a night's stay in a monorail resort... that they would value the monorail investment to a little higher tune than just new carpeting and a pine tree-shaped air freshener.

Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned the air freshener.... don't want to give the suits any new ideas....

Last edited:
Lol...you mean...new carpets and destinkdefying doesn't represent a long term committment to the Florida monorails?

As had been laughably suggested on this board?
The Monorail's graceful exit period was missed following the crash. Since then they've rebuilt two trains, done these types of upkeep/refurbishment of the interior, they're automating the entire system, and continued spur work.

They're commited.

I think it's more laughable to suggest Disney is willing to spend millions, and then just walk away.

I really like this. Is this going to be finished early? The original timeframe was "fall 2015" but it sure seems like it'll be done well before then.

I remember reading an interesting article in Entertainment weekly about Jar-Jar Binks and the actor who played him (Ahmed Best I believe). During shooting, everyone was convinced that Jar Jar was going to be the breakout character of the new films. Instead it was considered at best loathed by fans and at worst a racist characerture Suffice it to say they'll be no Jar Jar (or Gungans) in future Star Wars movies.

Dreamworks biggest problems is they start out with some clever original movies (Shrek, Madacascar, HTTY Dragon) and the tend to run them completely into the ground. What's kind of amazing is the movies tend to be really wonderfly animated, but targeted squarely at kids, and with the sequels this problem gets worse and worse. (I liked the first Madagascar, while 3 was terribly unfunny.)

The smartest way to make animated movies is to make them for EVERYONE. Disney is really good at this. Dreamworks started out that way (again Shrek - which MADE DWA) but now makes mostly hollow kid-joke films. (HTTYD maybe the exception)
No it's still supposed to be finished fall 2015. They have the castle turrets and center of the hub left basically. The turrets have barely started.

The Monorail's graceful exit period was missed following the crash. Since then they've rebuilt two trains, done these types of upkeep/refurbishment of the interior, they're automating the entire system, and continued spur work.

They're commited.

I think it's more laughable to suggest Disney is willing to spend millions, and then just walk away.
They havent replaced the insides of the monorail in quite sometime so this is needed. The upkeep has slacked the last few years now the are finally doing something. The automated system has actually not been going that incredibly well. It's showing just how old the trains are. A high tech system for a train that's 20+ years old doesn't always work. They are behind on the install.

They're commited.

They're committed to keeping a 26 year-old system which is way past its expected life.... on life support, nothing more.

• As rteetz has already pointed out, I can't recall the last time that an interior "update" was done, but it is/has been LONG overdue.
  • The automating project does nothing to enhance the guest experience. Rather, this change is being driven by the lawyers.
  • The WDW monorail system is the second most-traveled monorail system IN THE WORLD. On average, over 150K people travel this system per day. Things that would show commitment to the system, aside from adding a pine-tree air freshener to the cars, would be projects to improve the reliability of the trains and eliminating down time. I see very little that has been done to the system in recent years to help in that regard.

They're committed to keeping a 26 year-old system which is way past its expected life.... on life support, nothing more.

• As rteetz has already pointed out, I can't recall the last time that an interior "update" was done, but it is/has been LONG overdue.
  • The automating project does nothing to enhance the guest experience. Rather, this change is being driven by the lawyers.
  • The WDW monorail system is the second most-traveled monorail system IN THE WORLD. On average, over 150K people travel this system per day. Things that would show commitment to the system, aside from adding a pine-tree air freshener to the cars, would be projects to improve the reliability of the trains and eliminating down time. I see very little that has been done to the system in recent years to help in that regard.

I gave several clear examples of their commitment probably totaling several million dollars.

However I will go point by point for you:

1) It was long needed if the trains were still planning on being used for the next several years. (aka commitment) If the trains were really on "life support" or on track for phase out you'd have seen 0$ spent on monorails.

2) The lawyers are helping us this time. No matter the motive, it shows that Disney has longterm interest in the Monorail's continued use. (aka commitment) Also it will ultimately help guests by keeping trains on time, ensure energy efficiency, and eliminating human error.

3) The continued track/spur work, new operations computers, and the return of two trains all help guests directly with those two issues. However like most areas having to do with Cap Ex Disney is spending money. Just not where you want it.

Lockedout said Disney is showing little to no commitment to the monorails. Looking at the facts, and millions being spent it just doesn't seem to add up.

They havent replaced the insides of the monorail in quite sometime so this is needed. The upkeep has slacked the last few years now the are finally doing something. The automated system has actually not been going that incredibly well. It's showing just how old the trains are. A high tech system for a train that's 20+ years old doesn't always work. They are behind on the install.
Yeah, which proves my point rteetz. We're basically saying the same thing which is Disney is spending money on the monorails. It's needed, and great. That shows commitment.

As I understand it, from Wdwmagic the contractor is failing big time on this. Not Disney's fault at all. Teal has been being pushed pretty hard by these upgrades. From some of the very knowledgable posters over there, it seems like trains as old as these getting upgrades is pretty normal.

Still it doesn't really matter if they're having issues with the install. It proves they're committed to the system. That they're willing to pay for overruns, and accept delays shows just how committed they really are.

They're commited.

No offense...but none of those things represent a long term committment

The automation was the result
Of legal review and the sanctions by the NTSB after the accident.

Carpets are Nothing...

And the rebuilt the trains because the couldn't lose two operationally on trains with already extended life.

A long term committment is new trains and beam work/ replacement when necessary...

Until you see that...there is no committment and retiring the system is suspect.

You're really fooling yourself if you won't acknowledge the possibility

No offense...but none of those things represent a long term committment

The automation was the result
Of legal review and the sanctions by the NTSB after the accident.

Carpets are Nothing...

And the rebuilt the trains because the couldn't lose two operationally on trains with already extended life.

A long term committment is new trains and beam work/ replacement when necessary...

Until you see that...there is no committment and retiring the system is suspect.

You're really fooling yourself if you won't acknowledge the possibility
None taken. We've got an understanding. :)

However, I don't think you're seeing how brilliant an out they had.

Following a review of our system by the National Transportion Safety Board, they have placed harsh and unreasonable burden on our company. We regret to announce that due to this ruling, we've found that we must eliminate the Walt Disney World Monorail System...

Go on from there talking about how sad they are, and mention several more times how it was out of their hands. They could even put in a passage about honoring the tragic Monorail Pilot's passing. Fans would be angry and sad, but understand.

Compare that to Disney removing it now because it:

Doesn't make financial sense.

You guess which story Disney would like to spin.

Also since the crash they've spent millions. It doesn't matter really why they do, but they are proving commitment.

If new trains are the only benchmark Disney can use to prove their commitment then you're right that they're not commited. If however you look at the big picture a whole new view is created. Carpets are part of a broader story.

1) It was long needed if the trains were still planning on being used for the next several years. (aka commitment) If the trains were really on "life support" or on track for phase out you'd have seen 0$ spent on monorails.

There are really only two logical plays (aside from doing away with the monorail completely) that Disney has at the moment: Open up the purse strings and buy new trains, or continue to limp along with the painfully outdated Mark VI. Option #1 would demonstrate commitment. Option #2 (new carpets and a case of Febreeze) exhibits the painfully obvious strategy of spending as little as humanly possible to make the current trains "livable". How this can be viewed as a significant investment in the system is beyond me.

2) The lawyers are helping us this time. No matter the motive, it shows that Disney has long-term interest in the Monorail's continued use. (aka commitment) Also it will ultimately help guests by keeping trains on time, ensure energy efficiency, and eliminating human error.

Disney simply doesn't have any other hand to play here. They are being FORCED into this. You might view this as commitment. I view this as not having any other options to play aside from shutting down the system completely.

3) The continued track/spur work, new operations computers, and the return of two trains all help guests directly with those two issues. However like most areas having to do with Cap Ex Disney is spending money. Just not where you want it.

Again, the fixing of two trains that are well beyond their useful life means nothing. This is not a "net gain" for patrons. This simply gets us back to "square one".

At some point, you stop sinking money into the 1989 Ford Taurus and you pony up for a newer car. Spending as little as humanly possible to keep the MKVI's "serviceable" is not indicative of a long-term commitment. Rather, it shows the lack of a long-term strategy to make any meaningful changes to a broken system.

None taken. We've got an understanding. :)

Following a review of our system by the National Transportion Safety Board, they have placed harsh and unreasonable burden on our company. We regret to announce that due to this ruling, we've found that we must eliminate the Walt Disney World Monorail System...

Go on from there talking about how sad they are, and mention several more times how it was out of their hands. They could even put in a passage about honoring the tragic Monorail Pilot's passing. Fans would be angry and sad, but understand.

Compare that to Disney removing it now because it:

Doesn't make financial sense.

You guess which story Disney would like to spin.

Also since the crash they've spent millions. It doesn't matter really why they do, but they are proving commitment.

If new trains are the only benchmark Disney can use to prove their commitment then you're right that they're not commited. If however you look at the big picture a whole new view is created. Carpets are part of a broader story.
I will say that these trains need more than just new carpet. All new interiors should be coming but they aren't.

Then what excuse would they have for charging $700/night to stay at the Polynesian if you take away the toy train?

See...I think if they had retired the system at that time it would have been bad from a legal standpoint and PR...
It would have been acknowledgement of a system becoming obselete or a liability...not just a "tragic accident"

I don't think that they have plans to " kill the system"...yet

But after a large scale Dvc conversion at the hotels?

Then the monorail could be replaced with little backlash

There are really only two logical plays (aside from doing away with the monorail completely) that Disney has at the moment: Open up the purse strings and buy new trains, or continue to limp along with the painfully outdated Mark VI. Option #1 would demonstrate commitment. Option #2 (new carpets and a case of Febreeze) exhibits the painfully obvious strategy of spending as little as humanly possible to make the current trains "livable". How this can be viewed as a significant investment in the system is beyond me.

Disney simply doesn't have any other hand to play here. They are being FORCED into this. You might view this as commitment. I view this as not having any other options to play aside from shutting down the system completely.

Again, the fixing of two trains that are well beyond their useful life means nothing. This is not a "net gain" for patrons. This simply gets us back to "square one".

At some point, you stop sinking money into the 1989 Ford Taurus and you pony up for a newer car. Spending as little as humanly possible to keep the MKVI's "serviceable" is not indicative of a long-term commitment. Rather, it shows the lack of a long-term strategy to make any meaningful changes to a broken system.

1) Exactly, and they're choosing to invest more money into the system instead of getting rid of it. You're making the situation sound way more dire then it is. The Mark VIs are doing just fine. According to WDWmagic posters they don't see any need for all new trains. Disney probably also wouldn't be getting new trains anyway. Instead, I'd hazard a guess that they'd use the same chassis. Look to Mark VII Trains that are actually still using components from the 1960's. Also some of pointed out that the Walt Disney World Monorail System is considerably more reliable then Disneyland Monorail System even with all the recent spending.

2) Or they could've just eliminated it. Millions v. Elimination. Which one says commitment to you?

3) Yep, as opposed to eliminating it in its entirety.

Except they're spending millions on the system. Not the way you like it (new trains), but on safety and reliability improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter