News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
See...I think if they had retired the system at that time it would have been bad from a legal standpoint and PR...
It would have been acknowledgement of a system becoming obselete or a liability...not just a "tragic accident"

I don't think that they have plans to " kill the system"...yet

But after a large scale Dvc conversion at the hotels?

Then the monorail could be replaced with little backlash
Blaming issues on the government/ tragic accident are business 101. I guess they could've faced some criticism from using the tragedy for their own gain. Still I think it would've clouded the issue pretty well.

Your premise is interesting about waiting until people have bought all the property around 7 seas lagoon. Probably the most compelling idea.

New carpet and new seats that's it. An interior redo would be best to get rid of smells and mold or whatever else.
For the time being, yes. Down the line it's anyone's guess. Have you been on the refurbished monorails to determine their current stench? I'll have to smell for myself to see if its been improved.

For the time being, yes. Down the line it's anyone's guess. Have you been on the refurbished monorails to determine their current stench? I'll have to smell for myself to see if its been improved.
No they have just started installing the carpets as of last month I believe only a few have it as of right now. My point is it shouldn't have taken them this long to do a simple task as this. Disney used to do these things all the time. Monorails used to be in tip top shape and there would be no discussion of stench, mold, etc. Disney started to let things go and now we are at this point. The same goes for all of WDW. Many people are complaining nowadays that the bathrooms are just disgusting and they used to be some of the cleanest around. What happened to the janitorial crew and yes I know the simple answer would be college program but management is at fault.

No they have just started installing the carpets as of last month I believe only a few have it as of right now. My point is it shouldn't have taken them this long to do a simple task as this. Disney used to do these things all the time. Monorails used to be in tip top shape and there would be no discussion of stench, mold, etc. Disney started to let things go and now we are at this point. The same goes for all of WDW. Many people are complaining nowadays that the bathrooms are just disgusting and they used to be some of the cleanest around. What happened to the janitorial crew and yes I know the simple answer would be college program but management is at fault.
I was talking exclusively about Disney's commitment to monorails. I'll readily agree that (a part of) the workforce seems to be losing focus. Quality seems to be suffering in certain areas. Honestly it seems to be a TDO issue as Disneyland staff were all impressive, kind, and effective.

I was talking exclusively about Disney's commitment to monorails. I'll readily agree that (a part of) the workforce seems to be losing focus. Quality seems to be suffering in certain areas. Honestly it seems to be a TDO issue as Disneyland staff were all impressive, kind, and effective.
But this is related to the monorails. Disney has lost a commitment all around. Like I said there was a time when this wouldn't be a problem anywhere in the resorts, monorails, parks etc. Today it is. If disney were really committed the monorails would be clean all the time, looking fresh as they used to, in reality they aren't.

1) Exactly, and they're choosing to invest more money into the system instead of getting rid of it.

You're "spin" makes it sound as if 1.) Disney had an option to do away with the monorail completely, which they don't as of the present and 2.) that this nominal investment of new carpeting is all part of the grand, long-term plan. I believe you are giving them a bit too much credit. Removing the rose colored glasses, I see this as doing as little as possible because the only alternative is to spend significantly more on a newer system. Again, you call it commitment, I call it avoiding the obvious and sinking another $1,000 into the 89' Taurus.

2) Or they could've just eliminated it. Millions v. Elimination. Which one says commitment to you?

Disney is in no position to eliminate the monorail today. If they could, they would. Period. Again, this "update" is being done out of absolute necessity, and it's as bare-bones of an update as humanly possible.

3) Yep, as opposed to eliminating it in its entirety. Except they're spending millions on the system. Not the way you like it (new trains), but on safety and reliability improvements.

See above. Bare minimum, little as humanly possible, life support. You may choose to call it "long-term commitment". Obviously, we're not going to agree on this.

One of the?

What's next? Indiana jones in a flying refrigerator?!

Heyyyy ... I know ... Indy and his friends could go over 200 foot high waterfalls not once, not twice, but THREE times, and not one person gets a scratch or drowns.

LOL

One of the most intriguing theories I've seen is that film reviewer on youtube discussing the stunning opening scene of SW IV A New Hope when the little rebel ship is being run down by the gigantic, overwhelming imperial cruiser. The reviewer says, basically, that given all the garbage that Lucas writes when he's doing things on his own, he suspects that not only did George not write that opening scene in Ep. IV, but he probably fought against it tooth and nail.

I don't think it's necessarily true ... when George was doing Ep. IV he had a lot of motivation to come up with a great film because his a$$ was on the line, it was a case of make money for the studio or else.

You're "spin" makes it sound as if 1.) Disney had an option to do away with the monorail completely, which they don't as of the present and 2.) that this nominal investment of new carpeting is all part of the grand, long-term plan. I believe you are giving them a bit too much credit. Removing the rose colored glasses, I see this as doing as little as possible because the only alternative is to spend significantly more on a newer system. Again, you call it commitment, I call it avoiding the obvious and sinking another $1,000 into the 89' Taurus.
I think this cuts to the core of our debate. I've seen many on these boards talk specifically that Disney could very well get rid of the monorails. I don't believe it one second. Apparently neither do you. However this topic has been debated extensively here. I'll definitely agree that more needs to be done. This system is not being given the budget it deserves by upper managment. However, it's not as bad as some of the alarmists around here make it out to be either. They're simply not your 89 Ford. These trains are meant to stay in commission for decades.

The monorail for all intents and purposes is improving. Insiders have even said more is on the way. It is part of a longterm effort to keep the monorails looking good.

The end all for me is not new trains. I just want a reliable, attractive, and effective system. I think Mark VIs can do just that.

But this is related to the monorails. Disney has lost a commitment all around. Like I said there was a time when this wouldn't be a problem anywhere in the resorts, monorails, parks etc. Today it is. If disney were really committed the monorails would be clean all the time, looking fresh as they used to, in reality they aren't.
Monorail operations tries their best. It's an uphill battle constantly trying to clean out thousands of guests garbage.

Monorail operations tries their best. It's an uphill battle constantly trying to clean out thousands of guests garbage.
tries their best... They shouldn't have to try they should always be at their best just like they used to be. Also how do you know they try their best. Like i said its a property wide problem management likes to cut corners.

tries their best... They shouldn't have to try they should always be at their best just like they used to be. Also how do you know they try their best. Like i said its a property wide problem management likes to cut corners.
Now you're going to start attacking monorail operations? Come on, we know it starts top down with budgeting. Those front line guys are honestly trying their best.

Now you're going to start attacking monorail operations? Come on, we know it starts top down with budgeting. Those front line guys are honestly trying their best.
I'm not attacking I'm blaming management for resort wide problems this includes the monorail. Disneys best used to be spotless facilities including monorails 24/7. Why can't we hold them to that standard today, a standard Disney themselves set. Disney should be held to a higher standard because they revolutionized this industry, they are slacking there is no denying that.

I'm not attacking I'm blaming management for resort wide problems this includes the monorail. Disneys best used to be spotless facilities including monorails 24/7. Why can't we hold them to that standard today, a standard Disney themselves set. Disney should be held to a higher standard because they revolutionized this industry, they are slacking there is no denying that.
Okay, it's just we need to remember who to point fingers at. Can we blame the mechanic, the pilot, dispatch, or janitor? Nope. Even Monorail management is not at fault. However we do have to keep everything in perspective. The Monorails simply aren't in dire need of replacement either. They're just not that bad.

Okay, it's just we need to remember who to point fingers at. Can we blame the mechanic, the pilot, dispatch, or janitor? Nope. Even Monorail management is not at fault. However we do have to keep everything in perspective. The Monorails simply aren't in dire need of replacement either. They're just not that bad.
In this discussion I have not said replacement once. What I have said is cleanliness and upkeep of the interiors. Something that used to and should be done regularly. The interiors need work and some wall carpet and a new bench isn't going to fix everything, while its nice they need more than that. Pictures of mold and water damage are out there. Like I've said multiple times. Disney set the standard, Disney should be able to live up and exceed their standards yet they aren't. Who do we blame then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter