Monorail accident

I wonder when they're going to replace the Mark VI monorails. Haven't they been in service since 1989?

That's 26 years.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Got questions about DVC?
Visit the DVC Information Center in the DVC Forums for the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Disney replace the monorails? That's as likely as Disney lowering prices right now. They are spending millions putting automation systems into these things (which is taking forever due the age of the monorails) they aren't just going to jump ship and buy all new ones.

It does seem like they are having a lot of "issues" with the Monorail system, despite regular schedule adjustments for maintenance. Age?

If it wasn't such an iconic structure for WDW I suspect they might have phased it out already.
These trains are just plain old. They break down almost daily and they are spending millions to out automation systems in. It's really a shame that these things can't even get routine maintenance half the time.

I'm not using them anymore. I have bad luck with them, I always seem to either be stuck on one or waiting for one that has stopped and has to be restarted or rebooted or whatever. I'm sorry for those stranded today but thankful for the reminder/warning to stay clear, way clear.

I think monorails are cool but ultimately they don't seem to stand up as practical transportation. I will completely understand if it is removed someday from WDW.

I am happy with WEDway in MK and I would be even happier if they built one in Epcot, or built a monorail in the style of IOA's Dr. Suess ride. WEDway might be a better solution overall because of the continuous loading. Having to roof it may seem like an extra expense, however it's weatherproof and always comfortably breezy, and it could fit into Future World architecturally - especially if the existing monorail were removed, it would fill a gap and restore the look of the architecture and the feeling of motion.

AK needs a sky tram in the style of Busch Gardens Tampa. It's a great people mover, it's reliable and simple technology, it provides a 100 times better view of the park and animals than AK's current one-sided steam train to (practically) nowhere, and it would be a much needed relief on the feet when crossing the park.

A WEDway with perhaps a few on and off points would be a lovely way to move around the park certainly. Climb aboard near the main park entrance, get off near the World Showcase.

AK's steam train was a major disappointment to me. There's nothing to see on it.

These trains are just plain old. They break down almost daily and they are spending millions to out automation systems in. It's really a shame that these things can't even get routine maintenance half the time.

Makes you wonder what the break even point is.

If they are still spending those millions on the automation systems they obviously aren't ready to give up on the system yet. It is very iconic after all. Not to mention built right into the Contemporary.

On the other hand the trains continue to age and fail, the track itself must be expensive to maintain too.

This thread title should be edited now , eh ?

Something like Monorail stuck . Would be more accurate now , and not as misleading !

30 years old? That's nothing in terms of most public transit systems. Metra just rebuilt their F40s that were from the 70's, and they've only been buying new coaches because of new ADA compliance issues with the equipment from the 50s!

Makes you wonder what the break even point is.

If they are still spending those millions on the automation systems they obviously aren't ready to give up on the system yet. It is very iconic after all. Not to mention built right into the Contemporary.

On the other hand the trains continue to age and fail, the track itself must be expensive to maintain too.
Exactly. Why they haven't looked into new trains especially if they want to do this automation thing which they really have only been testing on one of 13 monorails at this time. It's not like Disney doesn't have the money. People dream for a monorail expansion how bout monorails that work. They could order new monorails with the automation system already in them, introduce them a few at a time or something. If you get them designed similar to the existing ones or the Disneyland ones it shouldn't matter that much.

30 years old? That's nothing in terms of most public transit systems. Metra just rebuilt their F40s that were from the 70's, and they've only been buying new coaches because of new ADA compliance issues with the equipment from the 50s!
I don't know if a bus system can be compared to a monorail system in terms of life span.

Thing about plastic though is it doesn't stink all the time...the wdw ones do
Disney may not be working on fixing the mechanics in the monorails but they have actually been replacing the things in the interior. The wall carpet and seats to be exact.

Yes. I'm glad it was just a breakdown. Don't know why all the cast members were saying "accident", cause that's definitely what we were told.

So now we know that we should avoid the yellow monorail. Any others? ;)

I much prefer the ferry but my family enjoys the monorail. At least now we know how to pop the windows out. I'm waiting for some idiot to do that while a monorail is in transit.

Also, the people in the monorail were not the only ones stuck ( though I would not have wanted to be in their place). It took us 2 1/2 hours to get from MK to Beach Club. First, we were herded like cattle into the ferry line. Had to wait for 3 ferries, as they were filling up quickly. We were told there would be buses waiting on other side to take us to the hotels.
We finally make it over to TTC, and not only were there no buses, but they were telling us we needed to go back over to MK to wait for buses to start running over there. Sorry, no.
So then they are trying to tell me to take the Epcot bus then I can take a bus to Beach Club. I said BC dosent have bus service to Epcot. My mom was in a ECV, and there were 6 taxis sitting there. NONE of them would take us, even though the ECV comes apart for travel, & we said we would lift it.
So back to buses. Really did not want to have to walk to back of Epcot on Sat night, fighting the F&W mob, in the heat & humidity, after walking all day in the crazy crush of MK, but that is what we did. And almost 3 hours later finally made it back to Beach Club. Not fun.

I don't know if a bus system can be compared to a monorail system in terms of life span.

Pretty sure this is not a bus...
F40PH.jpg

Pretty sure this is not a bus...
F40PH.jpg
They said coaches so I thought bus my bad I don't know names of trains.

Even then I don't know how comparable that is to a monorail because isn't a monorail electric? I'm no train expert but it looks like monorails don't have as long of a life span as normal trains. I also don't know what type of maintenance those trains get vs. Disneys monorails.

Glad to hear it wasn't an accident, but 3 hours yeesh. Why does it take THAT long? Doesn't WDW have it's own Reedy Creek fire crew? You'd think breakdowns are regular enough they'd have quicker procedures down for getting people out.

I'm all for an expanded system per the link, but don't see it ever happening. And as much as a 3 hour wait blows, WDW wouldn't be the same without the iconic monorails.

Glad to hear it wasn't an accident, but 3 hours yeesh. Why does it take THAT long? Doesn't WDW have it's own Reedy Creek fire crew? You'd think breakdowns are regular enough they'd have quicker procedures down for getting people out.
A towing vehicle for the monorails came to tow yellow back to a station to let people out however for epsome reason the brakes locked and it couldn't be towed. Reedy Creek was on seen right away with their special monorail evac equipment but it's quite the procedure to evac the monorails so not everyone was waiting 3 hours. You can only put so many people in a scissor lift at one time.

A towing vehicle for the monorails came to tow yellow back to a station to let people out however for epsome reason the brakes locked and it couldn't be towed. Reedy Creek was on seen right away with their special monorail evac equipment but it's quite the procedure to evac the monorails so not everyone was waiting 3 hours. You can only put so many people in a scissor lift at one time.

Well, true..but multiple scissor lifts perhaps? Unless there's a safety issue with that. For whoever's unlucky enough to be last..that's a long time..especially if you factor in bathroom needs, etc. Just would hate it for those persons, especially on a hot day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter