Mardi Gras 2023. Laissez les bon temps rouler (let the good times roll). Parades, King Cake, Cursed Club, Voodoo Dolls, Food, Rocket Ships and more

This is one of my favorite scenes in the boutique. The Witch on her broom silhouetted by the moon with her cat standing guard with its lightening bolt tail and bats flying by.

Very Halloween indeed.
E8DA8CB8-E545-4BA9-A162-142315CB7790.jpeg

4F47886F-A9C0-4CC5-BDBD-F62C4B8EB04C.jpeg

86936A87-2836-4485-A979-89483F04F089.jpeg

12A03406-3EFD-4AB6-A01A-84EDCBCCF22B.jpeg

870E56ED-1214-4A95-BC62-F1A63216EA1E.jpeg

The T-shirts very depending on the store. This one was very interesting and one I wish I had purchased for myself.

158CF359-899C-4895-A7AA-7AE765BA78FD.jpeg

EA0DB296-C8E2-4E24-8FF0-AAE3ADBBA773.jpeg

E23E2A00-21B9-471C-844C-C1655D70A045.jpeg

This Scorpion necklace was tempting too.
7099472D-2575-4E07-A019-216C25429794.jpeg

Another good T=shirt
FD814C7D-802E-4B50-BDBD-2C27FFAF19F6.jpeg

Friday, February 10th continued

I was still in Halloween Boutique when I noticed the entrance to the store getting busy. Those stratus gray clouds had finally given way to a good pour down of rain and guess who did not have an umbrella.

This silhouette of Frakenstein‘s Brides backpack and wallet were cute.
B771E316-723A-4816-ACC8-BF5402B2F20C.jpeg

D6E25879-DB25-467C-844E-F3B36667F404.jpeg

8250538A-6274-4405-8709-40332F0685C0.jpeg

972BA7C7-586C-4A87-AB64-99C3549FC66A.jpeg

C12A5A2E-4B57-4FD4-92C3-884BDFE1E500.jpeg

69259FA5-3832-46B6-8EE1-9E1CCDAD26CB.jpeg

I did not want to be stuck in the store when I was done looking around so I decided to buy a rain poncho.

As soon as I put the poncho on and headed out the door it stopped raining.…LOL

I caught the Hogwarts Express over to the Studios and went into Diagon Alley.

I had never noticed the posters coming out of King’s Cross Station.
651859D0-A9F1-4970-BCBE-1E74DF78350F.jpeg

35B07B4C-700D-4C55-B257-161F125EE6FD.jpeg

You can tell how bad the sky looked behind Dragon on Gringotts. The rain was going to come around again.

C0A47612-8357-4747-8BB1-D62C8B46C096.jpeg

826A1B9E-FA77-4410-8E54-EA49F5DB5BC4.jpeg

B44C3551-CBB1-4384-AEB1-C9734A2055DE.jpeg

72EB0A59-3130-42F3-8C8D-71632C62DBCE.jpeg

1A734085-55DD-40D4-870E-A74091BCC155.jpeg

B616C243-C90F-4F6C-A10D-BCEABFF94AEB.jpeg

C9FC5F1E-9556-4178-AF5B-F58E9EA817F8.jpeg

I had heard that the parade had been cancelled do to inclement weather then later heard that it had be delayed. I was able to confirm by asking a TM that the parade would be delayed until the incoming rain had cleared.

Incoming rain appeared as soon as I walked out of Diagon Alley. Well I would actually be able to put the rain poncho to good use.

More to come

1D7D58C1-FEC3-494A-91CE-01504897C38E.gif

Last edited:
That picture made me search to see if the British had a recipe for Fish Pie … of course they do .
Going to have to look for that next time I am window shopping in Diagon Alley . Haha

After I came out of Diagon Alley the rain came down pretty hard to start then as I walked over the bridge and neared Simpsons ride it slowed down to a light drizzle.

I decided to sample some food options from the booths.

First sample of evening was from Trinidad & Tobago. I tried the Crab & Dumplings. Which was supposed to be a curried stew with soft shell crab stew with roti.

58B42147-3CCB-445D-BD83-FD817C06D84F.jpeg

I wanted to step outside of my culinary comfort zone and try something different.
21035BEE-0B02-40D6-9330-9410E486736B.jpeg
The bowl did not look very appetizing, but I gave it a try. After one bite of the soft shell crab I picked it out of the stew. It was chewy and was inedible. The stew was spicy and good. The roti was dry and had no taste to it so that went to the side too.

I think this dish would have been fine sold as a curry stew without the soft shell grab. Soft shell crab is typically fried and served crispy. It did not work in this dish at all.

My next stop was Columbia. You ordered and paid at the booth and the actual place you received your food was around the corner across from Animals Actors were the fixed tables are.

BDF97F85-10FA-4AA6-AA96-63D04FE455A3.jpeg

D013721F-3236-4549-8B20-1A1ECB6A80FD.jpeg
I ordered the Colombian Empanadas. I ordered one beef and one chicken.

When I arrived to the area where you are supposed to pick your food up there were four people in front of me waiting for their order. The two young TM’s serving the food were I will guess in their early 20’s maybe a bit younger. One was female and one was male and they were arguing with each other. The male was instigating and the and the female was giving it back to him.

The guy in front of me had obviously had enough. They did not seem to care that they had people waiting for them to dish up the food so they could leave the uncomfortable situation.

Finally the grandma in me had to say something to try and bring them back to reality so they would stop their unacceptable behavior. My first thought was to step out of line and approach them more closely and tell them to stop, but since they did not care to share their bad behavior loudly for everyone to hear I did not care to say something to them loudly either.

I told them to stop arguing or I was going to go seek out a supervisor to stop their poor behavior in front of people who had paid for their food.

The male TM looked at me and he was not happy. They did serve the food and thankfully we all left to find a seat not far from them at the fixed tables and they started it up all over again.

Not long after I sat down what appeared to be a supervisor who looked to be checking to make sure all the booths were doing ok with the amount of food left for the evening approached their booth. They stopped when they saw him coming.

When he walked away. I stopped him and told him what we had witnessed while waiting for our food. I told him he needed to separate those 2 TM’s as they were not getting along. He said he would tell the supervisor and he would be back.

I love Universal and I feel they have the most wonderful TM’s, but this situation was sad and uncalled for. I hope they did separate those two and no one else had to witness their poor behavior.

The empanadas were good and so was the sauce that came with them.

To be continued

61D47B3B-DB29-416A-9EB7-065A7E88C057.gif

Last edited:
That picture made me search to see if the British had a recipe for Fish Pie … of course they do .
Going to have to look for that next time I am window shopping in Diagon Alley . Haha
Schumigirl had mentioned over in the UK they have a pie that looks like that called Stargazy pie.

I will admit that might be a pie I would skip….LOL….It would be like having a pigs head staring at you while you ate a bacon sandwich.

E562D10A-A0E9-4B72-9C3C-656E5795EEC8.jpeg

Schumigirl had mentioned over in the UK they have a pie that looks like that called Stargazy pie.

I will admit that might be a pie I would skip….LOL….It would be like having a pigs head staring at you while you ate a bacon sandwich.

View attachment 750263

Very common in Italy is Stargazy pie, moreso than the uk despite apparently being invented in Cornwall.

Not a dish anyone I know ever makes......the usual fish pie is a lovely dish with some beautiful fish, but no fish heads to be found!!

But considering the Potter menu`s are not really British foods, I`m not surprised this is prominent.

That was not a nice scene to witness, shame as TM`s at UOR are usually faultless.

But considering the Potter menu`s are not really British foods, I`m not surprised this is prominent.

I think more often then not foods from different counties are altered to appeal to the palate of the new country or area of the country they are served in.

I remember many years ago when we were in Germany on vacation a McDonald‘s there served German sausage sandwiches and beer.

I’am surprised that JK would allow anything she felt did not fit into the Potter parks to be served since she had her hand in the planning everything down to the flavor of the butterbeer.

I thought the Leaky Cauldron had some known British foods. I ate there once and had the full English breakfast. It was not as nice or as hearty as the full English breakfast I had in England for sure, but it was not terrible if I remember correctly.
6BC951C1-0A61-4057-9AD5-274CFB67EC5D.jpeg

03F8C3D5-D867-4C4A-98F6-0608952A0DD4.jpeg

I remember many fine meals and quick meals on our tour of Britain many years ago. No one can do FIsh & Chips like the British and Scotch eggs in the Leaky Cauldron and Finnegan’s did not taste like the Scotch Eggs I had there for sure.

I will say the seafood which we like was very good along the coast of England and the Salmon we had in Scotland was delicious.

Fond memories for sure.

Three Broomsticks has more roasted meals that are just as typical I think as we have have here no doubt. I like the decor of both of Potter sit down restaurants and they do immerse you into the Potter books and movies.

2CC9943C-7C6E-4D30-9B8A-0CA434232524.jpeg

I think more often then not foods from different counties are altered to appeal to the palate of the new country or area of the country they are served in.

I remember many years ago when we were in Germany on vacation a McDonald‘s there served German sausage sandwiches and beer.

I’am surprised that JK would allow anything she felt did not fit into the Potter parks to be served since she had her hand in the planning everything down to the flavor of the butterbeer.

I thought the Leaky Cauldron had some known British foods. I ate there once and had the full English breakfast. It was not as nice or as hearty as the full English breakfast I had in England for sure, but it was not terrible if I remember correctly.
View attachment 750371

View attachment 750372

I remember many fine meals and quick meals on our tour of Britain many years ago. No one can do FIsh & Chips like the British and Scotch eggs in the Leaky Cauldron and Finnegan’s did not taste like the Scotch Eggs I had there for sure.

I will say the seafood which we like was very good along the coast of England and the Salmon we had in Scotland was delicious.

Fond memories for sure.

Three Broomsticks has more roasted meals that are just as typical I think as we have have here no doubt. I like the decor of both of Potter sit down restaurants and they do immerse you into the Potter books and movies.

View attachment 750370

They do sound similar for sure, fish and wedges would be a more apt description for their fish and chips.

Shepherds pie should only be lamb mince, never beef and all those pies and pasties would never be served with salad! Sacrilege.

Beef and lamb would never be served in a casserole either and the breakfast may sound like what is served here, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. And anything with beans gets the thumbs down from me anyway, but it was not good, I’m still not sure what they were trying to pass as black pudding!

Many enjoy it and that’s fine, it’s just not for us, but, we also don’t go to Orlando to eat fish and wedges.

It‘s always disappointing when Americans think that’s what “British” food is when it can be so much better than an Americanised version of food. Regional food can be amazing from the UK.

Again, many enjoy it so they must be doing something right.

View attachment 750263
One of my fav HP windows lol

hmm carole, that very well may be why I’ve never been of fan of the food at Irish pubs here, they serve lots of what I consider “english” dishes. Most i’ve tried (especially in the orlando parks) fail to plate up non greasy fish & chips. :confused3 after having the coating literally slide off the fish more than once @ finnegans, gave up. A shame as they used to put out a decent product.

robbie I had thot one of the HP places offered that 1/2 roast chicken family meal for four, nor not? Do you know. We used to buy it when my youngest was still in school.

They do sound similar for sure, fish and wedges would be a more apt description for their fish and chips.

Shepherds pie should only be lamb mince, never beef and all those pies and pasties would never be served with salad! Sacrilege.

Beef and lamb would never be served in a casserole either and the breakfast may sound like what is served here, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. And anything with beans gets the thumbs down from me anyway, but it was not good, I’m still not sure what they were trying to pass as black pudding!

Many enjoy it and that’s fine, it’s just not for us, but, we also don’t go to Orlando to eat fish and wedges.

It‘s always disappointing when Americans think that’s what “British” food is when it can be so much better than an Americanised version of food. Regional food can be amazing from the UK.

Again, many enjoy it so they must be doing something right.
Sorry to barge in here, but What is black pudding? What I am envisioning is not good. Is it a gravy? Thanks, Carole:)

One of my fav HP windows lol

hmm carole, that very well may be why I’ve never been of fan of the food at Irish pubs here, they serve lots of what I consider “english” dishes. Most i’ve tried (especially in the orlando parks) fail to plate up non greasy fish & chips. :confused3 after having the coating literally slide off the fish more than once @ finnegans, gave up. A shame as they used to put out a decent product.

robbie I had thot one of the HP places offered that 1/2 roast chicken family meal for four, nor not? Do you know. We used to buy it when my youngest was still in school.

Yes, never had a decent fish and chips in Florida, exactly as you described. English and Irish dishes are usually slightly different. We don`t serve ours with a hint of Blarney......:duck:

There was a British couple used to run a fish and chip shop in Kissimmee, they always said they could never get the oil hot enough for some reason......very different to the UK, I`m not sure what they meant but took their word for it.

@disneyseniors

Ruth....I realised I answered you on my TR......I`m easily confused!!!

Last edited:
That meal is at Three Broomsticks. I remember a few years ago 4 family members and I ordered it and we didn’t put a dent in that meal.

Back them you received a very large bowl of salad to serve around.

A large tray of roasted corn on the cob and roasted potatoes.

Chicken thigh and leg portions and ribs.

When we had the meal back then it was very good. Everything was cooked perfect.

8B9310AA-2891-486E-9BFE-769F8BA8F832.jpeg
I remember when that dinner was less than $50.00 it was a steal.

Sorry to barge in here, but What is black pudding? What I am envisioning is not good. Is it a gravy?
I would say that blood pudding is an acquired taste. It is made with pigs blood and a few other ingredients. I tried it a couple of times when we were over in England with the full English breakfast plate. I did not like it, but my hubby liked it and he also liked Haggis.

8A7DF1CB-925D-4A1B-A179-0AAC439CB70B.jpeg

I don‘t like pork and beans. They are like what we serve at barbecues here. The sausage links are bigger than what we typically serve for breakfast. The bacon in this picture seems to be more fatty. I remember the bacon being more lean almost like Canadian bacon.

All in all minus the blood pudding and beans the Full English breakfast is pretty good.

Last edited:

After I left the table across from Animal Actors I walked over to the Mexican Food area to the left of LaBamba Cafe.
0FC32584-FCC1-4EA5-9983-21E820412275.jpeg

My last tasting for the night was the Tacos Al Pastor. This was Pork Al Pastor meat with pineapple, pickled red onion and habanero mango sauce.

7EDD7388-6F0A-4400-B294-41A6688A40B7.jpeg

0E5B1783-00A4-405B-94A0-FAF79B0A23D7.jpeg

I enlarged the picture so you could see the taco. They were actually very small. These tacos had the blue corn tortillas as the base. The pork meat was good. There was also a sprinkle of queso cheese crumbled on top. I picked off the pineapple. The pickled red onion did not add much to the dish and the heat from the Habanero mango sauce was non existent as there was very little added to the taco.

As I started to walk away guess what started…..The parade. I had a nice watching the parade again.

I caught another bunch of beads as I was walking along the parade route and gave them to the little children I saw along the way to add to their collections.

It had been a lone day and I was ready to get back to the resort and have a good nights rest.

I passed by the concert area and it was very busy. I had never heard of this performer named JVKE, but folks seemed to be enjoying his music.

7ED14DB2-2F1F-4196-B270-E71CF0AE6C6F.jpeg

7655C3FF-7872-4A17-85D0-3682C596D201.jpeg

Goodbye Minions until next trip.

A1E61E81-F696-4079-AB80-319F500CC575.jpeg

It took a couple of boats to get back to Sapphire Falls. The boats were very busy.

I was happy to finally get on the boat when it arrived. Our boat Captain turned on Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond and everyone happily sang along as the boat headed back to the resort.

I had thought about having a quick drink at the Strong Water, but it was really busy so I just headed to my room and had a nice bubble bath. I gave my sweet hubby a call and told him about my day.

I was ready for a good sleep and excited about going to Kennedy Space Center in the morning.

to be continued

55B65885-CE51-4D18-B90C-881A08F25B6A.gif

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter