• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jorts For Men?? Are They Ever Acceptable?

My dh is not very tall. When only long baggy shorts were in they never really looked right on him. they just looked like he was wearing dad's clothes. Now that shorter shorts are in he has clothes that seem more proportioned to him, and he has good legs. He has a couple pairs of Ralph Lauren shorts that sit a couple inches above the knee and I think they look really good. They don't look too short. I am going back to Marshals over the next couple weeks to see if there are more on sale for our disney trip. -

When only long baggy shorts were in they never really looked right on him. they just looked like he was wearing dad's clothes. Now that shorter shorts are in he has clothes that seem more proportioned to him
Bingo! Though my metaphor is big brother's hand-me-downs.

But the key word is proportion. An arbitrary number like "2 inches above the knee" can't possibly work for everyone.

Nothing wrong with that outfit......but he may want to ditch the white crew socks and go with black ankle socks.

Ankle socks... yes! I HATE crew socks and I can't help but get a little sad when I see crew socks being worn with shorts. :-/

and don't even get me started with the socks-with-sandals thing...

Last edited:

Haha...a buddy of mine wears jorts AND crew socks...pulled up to his knees. Between the shorts and socks, he may as well be wearing pants! But, you know, he is who he is and he absolutely does not care what anyone might think about his fashion sense.

Ankle socks... yes! I HATE crew socks and I can't help but get a little sad when I see crew socks being worn with shorts. :-/
You obviously didn't live in the days of white athletic socks that went over the calf.

I'll wear crew or quarter socks for extra protection while gardening. I'll switch from no-shows to quarter socks when the temperature drops to the 60s (or I run out of no-shows).

DH wears denim shorts all the time. They are comfortable when he is working around the yard or house. My male family members wear them as well. Even my fashion forward DD20 has never mocked them.

My 20 y/o son wears these from American Eagle: http://www.ae.com/web/browse/category.jsp?catId=cat7260044
They seem to be popular around here.

These are in right now, but they are a different fit then "jorts" Jorts typically go hand in hand with "Dad Shoes" and I can't remember the last time I saw someone under the age of 30 rocking this combo. Jorts are really bad especially when you combine them with the "carpenter" style... with a place to hold your hammer.

Carpenter Jorts:
s913vbw-bernel_01.jpg

Dad Shoes:
41fIzNB8k5L.jpg

Thank you for this thread! So entertaining!

experiment_6two6 you had me LOL just now.

As for the crew socks, ewww, I put my boys (including DH) in no-show socks 99 percent of the time. HOWEVER, my 5-year-old does have some crew socks that he wears in the winter because he hates when his socks get lost in his boots. He (accidentally?) wore a pair of them with his Converse the other day and looked pretty cute. But he's 5, he can pull it off...for now ;)

Around here crew socks are the norm for kids and teens. Its all basketball fashion. the socks go well with the basketball shorts, and basketball shoes. That's all my ds14 wears.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter