January 2024 W.I.S.H. Thread - Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

The American way of celebrating the holidays at the beginning of Winter sets us up to not slow down, actually the entire American way-of-life does the same. I did my best this year at resisting and settling into the season, but the past week or so I've been hard on myself for not wanting to do stuff then remembered it is still winter and still time to be quiet.

I am pretty much over the darkness tho... yesterday I was checking sunrise/sunset and weather in
Morocco - the sun is coming up at 8:30am (insert unhappy face here) and sets at 7:30p (much better) and the temps are in the low 70's during the day (perfection). I used to intentionally take vacation this time of year to get sun and I am so glad that this trip is happening now.

(I have no idea what the kitty laying on the desk/keyboard pushed to activate underlining... sure hope it is just here.)

Winter brings out the bear in me (not the hot one on hulu) and I kind of want to hybernate. Between the cold and lack of daylight I find myself wanting to be in doors and not doing anything. Commitments of course force me out but I find myself feeling less social.
I typically find late March/early April is when I start to re-emerge and have a lot more energy and drive. I have recently started working at an alternative office site that has MASSIVE windows so I am hoping the sun (as little as there is) will help a bit more this year compared to others.

Whoooohooooo mom got moved yesterday without issue!!! Prayers that he first day of rehab goes well!!!

Whooooohoooo we had another great day yesterday, we just stayed at the house and swam, BBQd, read….did whatever we wanted and it was lovely!

Off on a snorkeling excursion this afternoon!!!

Is it really Wednesday already!!!! This week is flying. I am going to woohoo that things are at status quo today. Nothing bad nothing good either.

For work it has been a bit crazy because of the FAFSA issues. This is bubbling over to home as well since it affects Nick as well. All college Financial Aid is getting pushed back this year.

Small kind of woohoo... I think I've passed thru the worst of the congestion and icky-ness. I've come to the conclusion that I may actually have been sick in addition to allergies. I've had to set aside all my knitting as even regular wool was causing watery eyes, but it is helping.

Edited to add... woohoo I was able to get in for an emergency chiropractic appt this morning. Not woohooy... needing an emergency chiropractic appt this morning.

Last edited:
Had you heard of the importance of third places? Do you have a third place that you go to regularly to fill the emotional need for community and connection?
I have heard of that! I'd say it is the Masonic Lodge for us. DH and DS are both members now, as is DH's dad, so we have a lot of social events that revolve around it. I've made friends with some of the other wives and look forward to seeing them, plus it provides volunteer opportunities.

The American way of celebrating the holidays at the beginning of Winter sets us up to not slow down
I hadn't thought of that, but it's so true!

For work it has been a bit crazy because of the FAFSA issues. This is bubbling over to home as well since it affects Nick as well. All college Financial Aid is getting pushed back this year.
Just heard that on the news this morning, and was grateful it's behind us!

Wednesday WooHoo - I have the house to myself for a few hours! :laughing: I love when they guys are home too, don't get me wrong, but I need to do "noisy, cluttery" chores like vacuuming and cleaning out the fridge today, so it will be easier than when DH works from home.

WOO HOO!!! DD and I have continued to remain healthy in spite of DH having Covid. Shocking really. I hope it stays that way.

WOO HOO!!! The school year is more than halfway over, so the vast majority of students know the routine and behave better than when they arrived in August.

Sadly my foster grandmother volunteer will not be returning for the rest of the school year. She is ill and unable to continue. She was very helpful, loving, and reliable. The kids and I will miss her a great deal.

I'm thankful for my chiropractor. She got me back to being able to sit/stand without pain. More follow to come next week, but feeling much better.

I'm thankful to be getting a pedicure today. Last one was early December and I haven't even bothered to take what is left of the polish off. Not sure what shoes I'll be taking with me on vacation, but now there certainly can be a pair of sandals.

Oh my goodness…I am SO THANKFUL that my administrator gave me a substitute today to act as a 1:1 paraprofessional for my student who has special needs. His IEP stated in August that he required a 1:1, and yet he has not had one all year. It’s been really rough, and I didn’t realize just how bad it’s been until he was taken care of leaving me freed up to DO MY JOB. Even my part time paraprofessional remarked about how much we were able to accomplish today.

This is not permanent but whenever she can, she will send me the extra help. I will take whatever I can get.

Best school day ever!!!

Thankful for a frustrating day at work because it means my expertise is acknowledged and utilized.

Thankful for being able to work remotely as I was able to be home with DS8 while he stayed home with a low grade fever and I did not have to take a day off or try to ask my MIL to come over very early.

Thankful that a low grade fever is nothing more than an announce for my kids...I know not all families are that fortunate.

View attachment 830523
Thankful Thursday, what gifts (big or small) are you thankful for today?
February thread is up for Monday, still looking for 2 more hosts, please sign up over there if you are interested.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...ead-full-of-gratitude-grace-and-love.3939142/

Great quote! It is all about how we deal with what life throws at us! The only thing we can choose is how we respond!

Today I'm thankful that January is behind us - it's such a busy work month for me. I enjoy the work, there's just a lot of it!

Omg... we had some honest to gosh sunshine yesterday. As in clear blue skies, not little breaks in the between clouds where the sun could peek thru now and then, it was bright and shiny and felt so darn good.

I have this thing where if I hear something twice I know I need to pay attention to it and that happened this week with cosmetic expirations. I feel like a dummy because it never occurred to me that cosmetics and treatments would expire and go bad or ineffective, even if they are unopened. I knew I had some really old products on hand, so I sorted thru it all yesterday and tossed about 2/3 of a grocery bag full... a lot of samples and freebees, but also a lot of $$$ went in to that bag. I've learned a valuable lesson about 1. not buying so much and 2. using up what I have, maybe that's two lessons.

Plans for the weekend... tonight I have a ladies get-together to celebrate Imbolic, the true start to Spring. And Spring is starting to pop up, I can see tiny little green leaf buds on the lilac outside my "office" window and the tips of tulips I planted are starting to push up thru the dirt. And I can feel it in myself, in my impatience with the darkness. Tomorrow I'm going to make an early run to the town an hour away where the closest JJill is for some returns and pick up some food at the fancy grocery store there. Then I'm going to my local movie theater for a special showing Grown Hog Day at 12n tomorrow followed by lunch out. Sunday will be whatever whenever, mostly doing household stuff.

Last edited:
Tonight we are going out for dinner for oldest DD's birthday. She picked an italian restaurant near where she lives. None of us have ever eaten there, so excited to try a new place. Not sure how healthy anything will be there, but we shall see!

The rest of the weekend, not sure that we have too many plans right now. Usually Saturday evenings are spent seeing a movie somewhere, but I'm not sure if there's much out right now that we haven't seen. We did start watching Fool Me Once last night. Not sure if anyone has watched it, but it's pretty good so far. It's an 8 episode season on Netflix. I'm not sure if it just ends after episode 8, or if it's something that they will come back with a season 2 for.

Your quote makes me want to get back to reading. I asked for a few books for Christmas and my kids got them for me! I've read one of them, but need to start the second. I find it hard changing my routine though. DH and I are stuck in front of the TV most evenings. I have my laptop on my lap either working or scrolling the internet for fun while we watch. I need to work on breaking that habit!

We don't have many plans today, so I think I'm going to spend the afternoon working in our storage room again trying to purge some things we will never use again. I got rid or or found a permanent home for about 4 big boxes last weekend. I need to do that many again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter