January 2024 W.I.S.H. Thread - Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

I spent the majority of my life very active in church. It was always my third place and led to fourth and fifth places. We became unhappy at our old church in 2016, and we were having a difficult time finding a new place to worship. All church involvement came to a an abrupt end in 2020 with the pandemic.

Returning to the church we attended 20 years ago is the beginning of us getting our third place back. I can’t believe how much I missed it. I am so happy to be back home where I belong.

Today is my MILs 84th birthday, so we're all going out to dinner tonight. Her driver's license was expiring today and I know she was nervous about having to take the test (I'm not sure why she waited until the last day to take her test, but that's a whole other story lol). I hope she passed, but I guess we'll find out tonight.

Sunday is oldest DDs birthday - she's coming tonight to dinner, but I'm not sure when our little family will go out to treat her for her special day. She has plans with her boyfriend / friends on Sunday, so it will probably have to be next week sometime.

Otherwise, not much going on - we'll probably go see a movie on Saturday evening unless something else comes up. It's really one of my favorite things to do!
Just quoting myself to say that my MIL passed her test! I'm so happy for her. She basically aced the written test (just missed 2) and said the driving test went great! I know as we get older, driving is so important for our independence

I would have to say that church is my third place as well. I've been at the same church my entire life. It's had it's ups and downs and honestly, a lot of the programs have never picked back up after covid, so I don't spend as much time there as I used to / would like.

When DS was younger, another place would have been sports fields. Being from a small-ish town, the same kids are on the same sports teams throughout their entire youth for the most part. The parents definitely provide a social aspect for each other and I sometimes miss it. I really enjoyed many of the parents that we saw multiple times each week for years.

I don't know if I have a third place. Our church does not have social activities really which is pretty unfortunate. For awhile my third place was cub scouts because I was close with some of the other parents and we'd hang out while the kids played before and after meetings...only about 20 minutes but it was nice. Now most of the kids are out of scouts. Karate class is too loud for the adults to chat. During covid some friends and I would play house party a couple times a month. It was a virtual space but it was a space....really should get back into that.
When I was a kid my third place was the dance studio. That was my home away from home. In high-school and college it was the rehearsal space....be it one that was part of a youth theater group or part of the theater program at school. Even though it was it school it wasn't school. The stage was home. I miss it so much sometimes. My body can't dance like I used to and my voice is shot....but goodness do I miss that energy and shared experience.
It's amazing sometimes I still feel so young then something like that hits you bam in the face.

I spent the majority of my life very active in church. It was always my third place and led to fourth and fifth places. We became unhappy at our old church in 2016, and we were having a difficult time finding a new place to worship. All church involvement came to a an abrupt end in 2020 with the pandemic.

Returning to the church we attended 20 years ago is the beginning of us getting our third place back. I can’t believe how much I missed it. I am so happy to be back home where I belong.
I was thinking about how much you have enjoyed getting back to your church when I put the post together.

It’s going to be a full introvert day for me. No church since DH is still in recovery mode. Definitely some Netflix or Hulu. I will most certainly do things to prepare for the week ahead.

I’m still symptom free and hoping that I somehow get through this time without getting sick.

I don't know if I have a third place. Our church does not have social activities really which is pretty unfortunate. For awhile my third place was cub scouts because I was close with some of the other parents and we'd hang out while the kids played before and after meetings...only about 20 minutes but it was nice. Now most of the kids are out of scouts. Karate class is too loud for the adults to chat. During covid some friends and I would play house party a couple times a month. It was a virtual space but it was a space....really should get back into that.
When I was a kid my third place was the dance studio. That was my home away from home. In high-school and college it was the rehearsal space....be it one that was part of a youth theater group or part of the theater program at school. Even though it was it school it wasn't school. The stage was home. I miss it so much sometimes. My body can't dance like I used to and my voice is shot....but goodness do I miss that energy and shared experience.
It's amazing sometimes I still feel so young then something like that hits you bam in the face.
I have discovered over the years that volunteering will lead to a third place whether it’s connected to church or another organization. So even if your church doesn’t have social activities, they might have volunteer opportunities like making sandwiches for a soup kitchen, etc. When I volunteered as a youth group leader, it led to friendships that are 30 years old. Most of them have moved away, but we still send Christmas cards and communicate on Facebook.

I was a theater kid and those bonds ran deep. The same for my DD. She was bullied in middle school by her elementary school friends and when she went to her performing arts high school, she found her people. Ten years later, these are her best friends.

Our 3rd place changes during the different stages of our lives. I know you will find your next one.

I'm feeling full on introvert today as well, this after saying all the things I'm going to do to find my second and third places.

For making something, I'm re-knitting everything I knit on my hat yesterday, which is half the hat. When I tried it on it was just too big, so I ripped it back. Knitting will be done in front of the TV, not at the yarn store, because I'm still stuffy and coughy. I will pick up some sinus nasal spray today tho, to see if that will help.

Small tasks are to clear off the second bed so I can start using it to organize vacation stuff, which also means some organizing on the back porch, including the recycle.

And I will get down to the beach for a bit of outdoors time.

My self-care today was doing some small tasks to get ahead for the upcoming week. It was just small things - like unloading the dishwasher, finishing with the laundry, prepping my breakfast for the week and my lunch for tomorrow - small things definitely make the week run smoother!

My motivation this week is to continue with the small things, which was really effective over the weekend. And vacation is now just three weeks away, so I'm in the serious preparation phase. I'm getting the suitcase out and starting to toss clothing in to it. I really don't want to take a lot with me... which is what I say for every WDW trip, then I end up stuffing the suitcase full.

I got my hat re-knit back to the point where I ripped it out and I'd really like to finish by tomorrow. We're doing watercolor travel journaling on the trip and I want to get my watercolor paints out and play with them, instead of knitting, so I'm comfortable with them while on the trip.

It’s such a good quote. It’s definitely both recovery and preparation. I think I have focused too much on recovery over the years. I usually don’t get into preparation mode until spring, and then I don’t feel ready for summer bathing suit season.

My physical got moved to February so I’m all in on eating well. Imagine if I keep this up how much more prepared for summer I will be!

That is a good quote - I definitely need to focus on preparing for the upcoming seasons. My motivation is our upcoming trip. I always like to go into vacations having eaten good for the weeks leading up to them. That way, I think I focus more on keeping up with the good eating and also, have just a little flex room. I don't count calories or log when we're gone, but I do try to be aware of what I'm putting in my mouth.

I had a scary situation with my asthma medication that is no longer covered by insurance and costs $1000.
I know you said that you are on a new medication now but if you run into this again or even before, check the maker of the medication. I take dupixent for my eczema and I was able to get a card through them and I pay $0 for it. It is about $3600 a month without it. Even when insurance covers a part of it they cover the rest.

It has been crazy around here. Elizabeth right now has a broken thumb and now a sprained ankle. She is home from school right now because she is having stomach issues. I am trying to get her into the doctor for that too. I feel like I am spending more time at doctors lately then at work. Thankfully work is very flexible. I am have been pretty stressed lately but I am working on that.

Hello Friends! I am so sorry for my absence!

We left for family vacation Saturday and the days leading up to it were hectic with mom. Nothing negative just chaotic trying to work with drs/rehab to coordinate when she should move and every expert has a different opinion! She should move today, which will be good for her. She’s making small positive steps, not everyday but she’s getting there!

We are having an absolutely beautiful time on vacation. The location, the weather and time together has been beyond our expectations! Our flight to Puerto Rico was smooth and only 3.5 hours. Our rental home in Luquillo is beautiful and the location is beyond perfect. The beach nearby is the most gorgeous I have ever seen in person! So thankful that we could take this trip together! Here’s a picture of my “kids” in the ocean!

IMG_1288.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter