It's Showtime! September 2023 Exercise Challenge

No new color changes but our TEAM is super close to Rehearsal Red. Just 2% to go!

In 2010 Alan Menken confirmed a musical theatre adaptation of Aladdin was happening. This musical had a long tryout period before heading to Broadway. Aladdin first played in Seattle in 2011. It then moved on to several regional and international productions in 2012, enjoyed a tryout in Toronto in 2013, and finally premiered on Broadway at the New Amsterdam Theatre on March 20, 2014. It has been produced globally ever since.

1695265837857.png

Congrats to sophy1996 for reaching Playbill Purple and to our TEAM for crossing over to Rehearsal Red!!! :figment: :mickeyjum:figment::mickeyjum:figment::mickeyjum

My family saw the Broadway touring production of Aladdin at our local theatre a few years ago. It was the last musical we saw before the pandemic's disruption of the theatre industry. While it wasn't my most favorite musical ever, it made for an enjoyable evening, and it was definitely a feast for the eyes.

Here's a little sampler of Aladdin:

And if you'd like to see Aladdin, too, but don't want to wait for it to come to your city, you can still see it on Broadway today, exactly where it opened at the New Amsterdam Theatre. It's the 10th highest grossing Broadway musical of all time so, and it has been seen by more than 14 million people worldwide as of last year.

Fun Facts about Aladdin the musical:

1. There are over 300 costumes in the show - 337 to be exact, that's a lot of outfit changes

2. The set is super heavy - weighs the equivalent of 4.5 double-decker buses

3. The Cave of Wonders has a connection with Star Wars. The stage was built using the same golden material used for C-3PO!

4. Oscar-winner Alan Menken wrote the soundtrack - he has eight Academy Awards

5. While this musical is based on the movie, it also includes some characters from the film's early drafts who were ultimately left out of the final cut, including Aladdin's three sidekicks Babkak, Omar and Kassim.

6. Jonathan Freeman, who voiced Jafar in the film, reprised his role in the musical and stayed with the production for an impressive 8 years, giving his final performance on January 23, 2022.

7. Aladdin was nominated for several Tony's with James Monroe Iglehart (Genie) claiming its single win for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical.

This is such a fun spotlight on James M. Iglehart:

And here he is at the 2014 Tony's as Genie:

Last edited:
Started Thursday with a Power Walk class through DCA. Then DL park, took a break, then changed into costume for the Oogie Boogie Bash. We were Mr. Toad and the Judge who declared him GUILTY (that is all, that is all) from the DL ride. All around DCA a couple of times through the night, finishing with the second parade.

+180

990/1500

IMG_3099.jpeg
IMG_2389.jpeg

By the way, we need @BonnieF to come back for this month's theme! BonnieF, if you're out there, you're very missed! Feel free to join us - even just for the discussion if you wish!
Hi everyone! So glad I logged on today! I know I've been kind of missing in action - but life has gotten so crazy - you wouldn't believe it. All are well, but we now have my son and his children (5 & 10) living with us. Talk about a full house! Sooooo - lol. What a great theme! My daughter's favorite is Belle, so we very quickly got tickets all those years ago to see Beauty and the Beast. It was wonderful!!!!! To this day, I cannot fathom how the Beast changed back to the prince right before my eyes and I didn't see the costume disappear! I wish they'd bring it back! Susan Egan was incredible - as she always is!
I've seen the show in WDW only once - and was very disappointed.
I've actually started a walking program just a few days ago - to get ready for - what else - Food & Wine at the end of October! It'll be our 20th time! So, I'll post my minutes, but don't include me in your totals - I'm not always able to get out.
I'll catch up on the discussion later tonight - it's almost time for the school bus now -I can't believe that's my life again!
By the way, we need @BonnieF to come back for this month's theme! BonnieF, if you're out there, you're very missed! Feel free to join us - even just for the discussion if you wish!

Hi everyone! So glad I logged on today! I know I've been kind of missing in action - but life has gotten so crazy - you wouldn't believe it. All are well, but we now have my son and his children (5 & 10) living with us. Talk about a full house! Sooooo - lol. What a great theme! My daughter's favorite is Belle, so we very quickly got tickets all those years ago to see Beauty and the Beast. It was wonderful!!!!! To this day, I cannot fathom how the Beast changed back to the prince right before my eyes and I didn't see the costume disappear! I wish they'd bring it back! Susan Egan was incredible - as she always is!
I've seen the show in WDW only once - and was very disappointed.
I've actually started a walking program just a few days ago - to get ready for - what else - Food & Wine at the end of October! It'll be our 20th time! So, I'll post my minutes, but don't include me in your totals - I'm not always able to get out.
I'll catch up on the discussion later tonight - it's almost time for the school bus now -I can't believe that's my life again!
Welcome back!!!!!!! It's so, so great to see you posting again!!!!! Full house, indeed! How nice that you and your grandchildren get to spend such quality time together.

How I wish I could have seen Beauty and the Beast, too! So glad you were able to do so! Maybe it will return one day. Fingers crossed!

Happy walking and enjoy Food & Wine!!!! Hopefully we will get to hear all about it! I've missed you very much and am so glad you're back! :hug: Your post made my day so much better!

Started Thursday with a Power Walk class through DCA. Then DL park, took a break, then changed into costume for the Oogie Boogie Bash. We were Mr. Toad and the Judge who declared him GUILTY (that is all, that is all) from the DL ride. All around DCA a couple of times through the night, finishing with the second parade.

+180

990/1500

View attachment 796181
View attachment 796180
Awesome costumes!

Getting caught up. What an odd month this has been, starting with a week of vacation then last week was a business trip. Fortunately there was a lot of walking last week, so just going off of steps and minutes it takes to get them:

+390 minutes
1110/1350... 82%

Fortunately I'm not off track overall for the month and will easily make goal getting back to 45 minutes per day. Really looking forward to being home and nothing else coming up on the horizon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter